Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Bible Study Lukewarm Christians

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

HeIsRisen2018

Dramione love 3333
Alright, I recently heard this term so I looked it up to see what it meant and I discovered that a lukewarm Christian is somebody who claims to be a Christian but their actions speak differently. However, my question is, just because they might not always appear to be Christians, doesn't God warn us in the Bible to never be fooled by appearances? I mean I have already confessed Jesus as my Lord and Savior and have recently got baptized in His name but I'm just going to be honest here, although I love Him very much I don't always place Him as my number one priority like I should and there are places where I feel like I'm more worldly than spiritual. My question is since salvation isn't earned by works in the first place and only God is perfect, does that make me less of a Christian? I wouldn't think that it would since I did the one thing that the Bible requires of me to make it to Heaven, however, Jesus also makes a very interesting point here in Revelation 3:16

"So, because you are lukewarm-neither hot nor cold- I am about to spit you out of my mouth."

So wait a minute! Jesus already said that those that come to Him He will never drive away and John 3:16 is very clear that all believers will never perish and have everlasting life. So could somebody please explain to me what this all means?

Claiming to be Christian and actually being a Christian are two entirely different things.

Consider this. Recent polls suggest that somewhere around 75% of the population in the United States claims to be Christian. We live in a representative republic which means that our government is a representative of who we are. If 75% of us are Christians then why is it that we kill about 1,000,000 babies every year and why do we now accept and even celebrate gay marriages and why do we accept and promote sexual immorality the way we do?

I've posted in another forum how our love for God needs to be reflected in how we live. Much of the New Testament speaks of this. I won't post the Scriptures but I think we all know the ones that speak warnings about living in sin, living/walking in the world rather than in the Spirit, etc.

This is not to say that we don't make mistakes but we do in this country is far from mistakes. It is wanton and deliberate rebellion against God.

Claiming to be Christian and actually being a Christian are two entirely different things.

Consider this. Recent polls suggest that somewhere around 75% of the population in the United States claims to be Christian. We live in a representative republic which means that our government is a representative of who we are. If 75% of us are Christians then why is it that we kill about 1,000,000 babies every year and why do we now accept and even celebrate gay marriages and why do we accept and promote sexual immorality the way we do?

I've posted in another forum how our love for God needs to be reflected in how we live. Much of the New Testament speaks of this. I won't post the Scriptures but I think we all know the ones that speak warnings about living in sin, living/walking in the world rather than in the Spirit, etc.

This is not to say that we don't make mistakes but we do in this country is far from mistakes. It is wanton and deliberate rebellion against God.

Well I certainly don't support abortion, and I don't celebrate gay marriages. As I said before, I live my life (for the most part) by what the word of God says. I just realize that I'm full of flaws. Although it is true that I don't hold it personally against the people who are LGBT, I still love them and forgive the women who decide to get abortions, but it's only because the Lord wants me to. So in other words, I don't think I have anything to worry about then right?

You must be right Brother, because if it was't for the people rebelling against God, then the checks and balances of our government would not have gone away. So it is our fault. All the more reason to live a holy life to the utmost of ones ability, and more.

"So, because you are lukewarm-neither hot nor cold- I am about to spit you out of my mouth."

So wait a minute! Jesus already said that those that come to Him He will never drive away and John 3:16 is very clear that all believers will never perish and have everlasting life. So could somebody please explain to me what this all means?

Being hot or being cold represents two camps, one who tries to live by the works of the Law, and the other who tries to live according to Faith through Grace. Those who are lukewarm continue to try and serve both. Jesus said that you can not serve God and mammon both. You can not serve the Law and Faith through Grace at the same time.

2 Corinthians 2:14-17
Now thanks be unto God, which always causeth us to triumph in Christ, and maketh manifest the savour of his knowledge by us in every place. For we are unto God a sweet savour of Christ, in them that are saved, and in them that perish: To the one we are the savour of death unto death; and to the other the savour of life unto life. And who is sufficient for these things? For we are not as many, which corrupt the word of God: but as of sincerity, but as of God, in the sight of God speak we in Christ.

John 5:24-29
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life. Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live. For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself; And hath given him authority to execute judgment also, because he is the Son of man. Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

Daniel 12:1-3
And at that time shall Michael stand up, the great prince which standeth for the children of thy people: and there shall be a time of trouble, such as never was since there was a nation even to that same time: and at that time thy people shall be delivered, every one that shall be found written in the book. And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt. And they that be wise shall shine as the brightness of the firmament; and they that turn many to righteousness as the stars for ever and ever.

We are to God the sweet savour of Christ: A sweet savour of life unto life for those who awake to everlasting life through faith; Or a sweet savour of Death unto Death for those who awake to everlasting contempt through the works of the law.

But to those who are lukewarm, it is said he will spew them out of his mouth. There is no sweet savour from those who try and continue to apply the cross of Christ and the Grace of the Lord to the works of the Law, for when they do they put Christ to open shame!

Hebrews 6:4-6
For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

Last edited:
The Barna Group keeps tabs on Christians, especially in the US. I seem to recall reading....the % of Americans (overall...) with what they termed a "Christian Worldview," for the purposes of their research, was something like 9%. About 1 in 3 church going Protestants had a "Christian Worldview." The % goes up in The Bible Belt, and there were some other factors that came into play...age, gender, education level, on and on. Anyway...

at 1st, I was not happy. 9%? Not good! 1 in 3 church going Protestants! Horrible! The, I got to thinking...

Jesus -Himself- spoke of how most humanity is on the broad road that leads to destruction. He also spoke of the wheat and the tares, the wolves in sheep's clothing. Judas, of course, betrayed Jesus....and later on, you have Paul writing about sexual immorality in the NT church.

I guess I"m just saying....I don't think there ever have been all that many genuinely saved, Born Again, fighting the good fight Christians. I think Judeo-Christian concepts and morality held more sway in years (not so long) past than they do now, but there's a big different between a culture that's heavily influenced by Judeo-Christian traditions and a genuinely Christian society. As best I can tell....

9% of 21st century America holds fast to Christianity 101--the Trinity, The Cross, Heaven, sin, etc.--and that's 9% more than 0%, lol. I haven't seen data for Canada, the UK, or Western Europe, but...I'm going to hazard a guess and asume their % is lower than ours.

I thought, at first, that the 1 in 3 church goers was a big, big problem, and then I thought...well, what if that's a) better than 0 in 3 and b) not my problem? There have -always- been false conversions. Always. I think, especially with Protestantism, some churches fit into a bigger "lifestyle package," as in...I vote GOP, go to a Pentecostal church, and drive a For Explorer vs I vote democrat, drive a Volvo, and go to an Episcopalian Church.

But...yeah...at a -personal- level, it is important to avoid turning lukewarm. And at a personal level, I appreciate being encouraged and sometimes admonished. Scripture encourages as much.

:)

So, I'm still a little confused how one can tell whether or not one is a lukewarm Christian, because I really do love the Lord with all my heart and I really don't want to fall into that category.

The passage comes from the 3rd chapter in the book of Revelation.
The church in the city was next to a river in a deep ravine that was from snow melt from the Mountains. On the other side of the ravine there are all kinds of hot spring pools that people bathe in. They used to believe that the heavy mineral content and the heat was medicinal.
The river flowed on to the farms.

In the city this side of the ravine the Roman's piped some of the mineral laden water all over the city. It was only slightly heated because of hot springs on this side of the ravine as well.
Because of the heavy mineral content the piped lukewarm water often made people's stomach feel queezy... like they were going to vomit.

So, I'm still a little confused how one can tell whether or not one is a lukewarm Christian, because I really do love the Lord with all my heart and I really don't want to fall into that category.

This thread yet again gives you a surprisingly wide variety of responses. First of all, Jesus was politely saying that lukewarm people make Him sick. I have always taken that to mean complacency; indifferent, uncaring, unmoved, uninspired.
He gave His all for us, and we shrug it off as though it doesn't matter? I can understand His indignation over that!

The passage comes from the 3rd chapter in the book of Revelation.
The church in the city was next to a river in a deep ravine that was from snow melt from the Mountains. On the other side of the ravine there are all kinds of hot spring pools that people bathe in. They used to believe that the heavy mineral content and the heat was medicinal.
The river flowed on to the farms.

In the city this side of the ravine the Roman's piped some of the mineral laden water all over the city. It was only slightly heated because of hot springs on this side of the ravine as well.
Because of the heavy mineral content the piped lukewarm water often made people's stomach feel queezy... like they were going to vomit.

Wow, that's great! But John was secluded on the Isle of Patmos. What city does this refer to?

This thread yet again gives you a surprisingly wide variety of responses. First of all, Jesus was politely saying that lukewarm people make Him sick. I have always taken that to mean complacency; indifferent, uncaring, unmoved, uninspired.
He gave His all for us, and we shrug it off as though it doesn't matter? I can understand His indignation over that!

Well that's good since I don't think that describes me at all. :)

I would think it means you believe but that is all. Perhaps not bothering to get to know Jesus, perhaps not reading the bible. But that is only my thoughts. Perhaps sometimes we can feel too comfortable and sit back doing nothing else spiritually. We should never stop searching because we will never know everything. We should always be hungry for the truth.

I think much of Christianity today is lukewarm. We rest on the gospel of grace thinking we claim the title Christian so all is well and we're good to go and we treat works like a disease with fear of being labeled a legalist when the truth is a saved Christian should desire to do the works worthy of the salvation that has been gifted even though we can't possibly fulfill such a task.

Wow, that's great! But John was secluded on the Isle of Patmos. What city does this refer to?
The healing baths were at Heiropolis. (Less than 6 miles away but the pools get within sight of the ravine)
Laodocea was a banking center with a great economy. They supposedly produced the finest black wool. They also made some kind of eye salve that cured some forms of blindness.
I'm trying to remember the river's name but am drawing a blank.

But I always took from the expression that they were neither healing or nurturing. (Doing nothing except being a "good guy club")
So Jesus said that they were poor, blind, and naked and alluding to the fact of their worship being artificial and contrived to man's standards instead of His. (Heartfelt)

The healing baths were at Heiropolis. (Less than 6 miles away but the pools get within sight of the ravine)
Laodocea was a banking center with a great economy. They supposedly produced the finest black wool. They also made some kind of eye salve that cured some forms of blindness.
I'm trying to remember the river's name but am drawing a blank.

But I always took from the expression that they were neither healing or nurturing. (Doing nothing except being a "good guy club")
So Jesus said that they were poor, blind, and naked and alluding to the fact of their worship being artificial and contrived to man's standards instead of His. (Heartfelt)

Excellent! That adds wonderful context and understanding to the passage, thank you

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back