Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Monergism vs. Synergism

I believe in....

• a Synergistic Gospel.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Heidi said:
Following Christ alone means following Christ ALONE.

I seem to have failed in making my point. Therefore, I will insist upon your defining for me, what it means to follow Christ ALONE!

Did you happen to read the English, as you would find in your bible, for Matther 16:18-19 (given in Latin in my "tagline" in my previous message)? In your definition of what it means to follow "christ ALONE," speak to me in that context, what Christ is saying in the scripture fragment I want you to read.

Jesus said we have only ONE teacher. Jesus is the ONLY mediator between men and God. For me to have a PERSON interpret Christ's words FOR me is putting my faith in that person, is it not?

Do you depend upon your own pastor for what scripture is saying? Yes or no? If no, how do you possibly know that your interpretation of scripture is the correct one? Oh, I forgot, please also define for me, "Christ's words." Scripture? Tell me also, heidi, where was "Christ's words" from Pentecost and until ink first touched papyrus in the writing of the New Testament?

If a friend comes to you and tells you that John Doe exists, but you haven't met john Doe, then you have to take your firend's word that he exists, do you not?

Indeed, and..................?

But when you meet John Doe, you can listen to John Doe yourself rather than go through your friend to do it. Since I have only ONE teacher, and that is the Holy Spirit in me, only then can I discern true teachings from false ones. But without the Holy spirit, then it is just a guess. When you meet Christ for yourself, you will then know who to follow.

Ah yes! You claim the holy Spirit! Well, so do so many, including those who have different takes on what scripture is telling them! Therefore it would seem that the holy Spirit is giving different and conflicting interpretations of what scripture is saying. Evidence for this? Look around you and note the constantly fragmenting of non-Catholic Fundamentalist denominations, each preaching from their own corner in my town, all claiming they have the holy Spirit telling them what it means. Therefore, if you are correct, then the holy Spirit is the "God of confusion." (Not!)

Please note that I do not come to that conclusion, as I do not consider myself as "my own infallible pope" who can interpret scripture, in my imagination the holy Spirit is inspiring me thus!

Where do I go, you may ask. To the only "authority" that can so instruct me so, an "institution that came (gasp!) before the New Testament was ever written! :)

God bless,

PAX

Bill+†+

Pillar and Foundation of Truth, the Church. (1 Tim 3:15)

William Putnam said:
Heidi said:
Following Christ alone means following Christ ALONE.

I seem to have failed in making my point. Therefore, I will insist upon your defining for me, what it means to follow Christ ALONE!

Did you happen to read the English, as you would find in your bible, for Matther 16:18-19 (given in Latin in my "tagline" in my previous message)? In your definition of what it means to follow "christ ALONE," speak to me in that context, what Christ is saying in the scripture fragment I want you to read.

Jesus said we have only ONE teacher. Jesus is the ONLY mediator between men and God. For me to have a PERSON interpret Christ's words FOR me is putting my faith in that person, is it not?

Do you depend upon your own pastor for what scripture is saying? Yes or no? If no, how do you possibly know that your interpretation of scripture is the correct one? Oh, I forgot, please also define for me, "Christ's words." Scripture? Tell me also, heidi, where was "Christ's words" from Pentecost and until ink first touched papyrus in the writing of the New Testament?

[quote:22f0a]If a friend comes to you and tells you that John Doe exists, but you haven't met john Doe, then you have to take your firend's word that he exists, do you not?

Indeed, and..................?

But when you meet John Doe, you can listen to John Doe yourself rather than go through your friend to do it. Since I have only ONE teacher, and that is the Holy Spirit in me, only then can I discern true teachings from false ones. But without the Holy spirit, then it is just a guess. When you meet Christ for yourself, you will then know who to follow.

Ah yes! You claim the holy Spirit! Well, so do so many, including those who have different takes on what scripture is telling them! Therefore it would seem that the holy Spirit is giving different and conflicting interpretations of what scripture is saying. Evidence for this? Look around you and note the constantly fragmenting of non-Catholic Fundamentalist denominations, each preaching from their own corner in my town, all claiming they have the holy Spirit telling them what it means. Therefore, if you are correct, then the holy Spirit is the "God of confusion." (Not!)

Please note that I do not come to that conclusion, as I do not consider myself as "my own infallible pope" who can interpret scripture, in my imagination the holy Spirit is inspiring me thus!

Where do I go, you may ask. To the only "authority" that can so instruct me so, an "institution that came (gasp!) before the New Testament was ever written! :)

God bless,

PAX

Bill+†+

Pillar and Foundation of Truth, the Church. (1 Tim 3:15)[/quote:22f0a]

No. I do NOT depend on my pastor to tell me what Christ said. I depend on Christ and Christ alone. The Holy spirit is Christ's body INSIDE of all of his believers. Jesus Himself says this in the last several chapters of the gospel of John and it is confirmed throughout most of the NT. I also simply BELIEVE HIS WORDS. They are quite clear. There is no need to EVER turn them around, tiwst or distort them. That is why he says; "Heaven and earth will pass away but my words will never pass away." They are right there for all to see. There are MANY pastors who change His words which is why there are so many denominations. They can't all be right because they contradict each other. But JESUS is ALWAYS right. Therefore, all you have to do is ask God for the HS and then BELIEVE Jesus's words as written.

If a person's interpretation is not scriptural then it is made up in his imagination. The bible is the word of God. Period. It was written from the Holy Spirit. Those who claim that the authors of the bible are liars when they themselves weren't even there should alone clue you in to what is true and what is false. The truth never contradicts itself. You have to remember, William, the the ONLY infallibe person is Jesus Christ. If you believe any other person is equally infallible, then you are worshipping fallible men, instead of Christ alone. I've never seen the pope walk on water, raise anyone from the dead, or die for our sins. Jesus said; "He who exalts himself will be humbled and he who humbles himself will be exalted." There can hardly be a more exalting statement from a human being than calling himself "OUR HOLY FATHER.' Even JESUS does not call himself that! Exalting oneself comes from the sin of pride. It CERTAINLY isn't humility!

If you truly worship Jesus Christ, then all you have to do is believe HIS words, over the words of fallible men. But if you do NOT worship Jesus Christ, then you will believe the words of men over His. There is a REASON why Jesus told us NOT to call ANYONE on earth 'father'. The reason is because we will then worship that human being more than God. Your ONLY mediator is Jesus Christ, NOT people who claim infallibility when they haven't shown the world they are better than Christ. This is a lie. "By their fruits you will know them."

Heidi said:
No. I do NOT depend on my pastor to tell me what Christ said. I depend on Christ and Christ alone.

Again, I fail to make my point. I can make the same claim, that I "depend upon Christ and Christ alone." Therefore, when I read John, chapter 6, for example, I see the Catholic Eucharist being described loud and clear, yet I am certain that the "bread of life" discourse, from about verses 22 to verse 69. Which of us is right, Heidi? We botyh claim the inspiration of Jesus and the holy Spirit, yet we conflict in what the bible is teaching here. How can that be?

The Holy spirit is Christ's body INSIDE of all of his believers. Jesus Himself says this in the last several chapters of the gospel of John and it is confirmed throughout most of the NT. I also simply BELIEVE HIS WORDS. They are quite clear. There is no need to EVER turn them around, tiwst or distort them. That is why he says; "Heaven and earth will pass away but my words will never pass away." They are right there for all to see. There are MANY pastors who change His words which is why there are so many denominations. They can't all be right because they contradict each other. But JESUS is ALWAYS right. Therefore, all you have to do is ask God for the HS and then BELIEVE Jesus's words as written.

Well, I never saw it explained like that before, so to take off from what you say, if Christ is within us, (the Holy Spirit as you say) then why is it that we are not all one church? Why are we divided into fragments, a condition that worsens daily, it seems, when a congregation falls into faction in dispute over a doctrinal issue, they split into a separate denomination, and the fragmentation continues.

Jesus said, "one fold, one shepherd." But no, we are our own shepherds, our own individual "popes" and we are all our own authority with the claim that we all have the holy Spirit to guide us to the truth.

If a person's interpretation is not scriptural then it is made up in his imagination.

Who determines if a person's interpretation is "not scriptural"? If I read John 20:22-23 and see the exact time Christ gave the power to forgive or retain the sins of men, am I being "non-scriptural" and thus in error?

The bible is the word of God. Period.

How do you know that, Heidi? Who told you? My Old Testament is longer then yours, did you know that? My bible has the deuterocanonicals (what you people call the apocypha) that was always included in the Christian Old Testament (since the early Christians favored the Greek Septuagint which contained those books) for 1500 years before Martin Luther and others decided in the 16th century to remove them as non-canonical. Where was their authority to do so, Heidi? Why is it that at least three Church synods (councils) included the deutereocanonicals, as well as excluded such books in the New Testament as the didache, the Gospel of Thomas and others which many local/regional churches considered scripture, yet while others rejected Hebrews, James and even the Book of Revelation in what was to become the New Testament. In fact, do you realize that the very New Testement in your King James version is exactly what it is because of the actions and authority of the (gasp!) One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church? It was in the synods, of Carthage, Hippo and Rome in the early 4th century where we see the Church begfining the process of defining the canon of scriputre, the final approval given by the Council of Trent, done simply because the Church Christ founded is the only valid authority who can do such a thing here on earth (after Christ ascended to the Father in heaven.)

The Catholic Church is the only true church of Christ. It is so, simply because her history goes back to Christ Himself! Only the Catholic Church can document herself back to Christ, something no other Church can do. And somewhere about A.D. 100, St. Ignatius of Antioch first coined the term "catholic" as the included title for the Church - The Catholic Church.

Notice I did not say the "Roman" Catholic Church, as the Church of Rome, the Roman.Latin?Western Rite of the Church is a subset of the whole Catholic Church, which includes other rites, such as the Bizantine, Chaldean, etc., as we see in the following list:

Rites of the Eastern Churches*

Rites and Catholic
ethnic groups Catholics Dissident bishops
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Alexandrian:
Coptic 82,894 2,500,000 6
Ethiopian 59,215 9,000,000 4

Antiochean:
Malankar 124,433 1,000,000 2
Maronite 850,000 14
Syrian 80,000 130,000 10

Byzantine:
Albanian 400 255,000
Bulgarian 9,480 6,500,000 1
Georgian 10,000 750,000
Greek 2,872 10,000,000 1
Hungarian 250,000 30,000 1
Italo-Albanian 70,000 2
Melkite 397,611 605,000 23
Romanian 1,572,979 16,300,000 3
Russian 3,000 54,000,000 1
Ruthenian 778,555 400,000 3
Slovak 305,645 50,000
Ukrainian 4,340,000
In Russia#
Other countries 700,000 15
White Russian 35,000 1
In Russia#
In Poland 400,000
Other countries 300,000
Yugoslavian 56,000 7,000,000 2

Chaldean:
Chaldean 190,000 75,000 13
Malabar 1,349,360 5,000 7

Armenian:
Armenian 97,000 13
In Russia 1,000,000
Other countries 600,000

*It should be noted that the figures for Slavic groups behind the Iron
Curtain are estimates only. # Figures included in Russian Dissident
total.

SOURCE: Oriente Cattolico. Cenni storici e statisiche ("The Catholic
East: Historical and Statistical Account"), Rome, 1962.
(1965 Catholic Encyclopedia, page 632, Vol. 3)

The attached is a bit outdated now, and it will not fall into the proper columns correctly, but you get the idea, and if you then include the Roman Rite, you would get a picture of the whole Church.

It was written from the Holy Spirit.

How about the didache or The Gospel of Thomas? How do you know they are not inspired as well? Or how about the Letter to the Corinthians by a guy named Clement, who happened to be the 3rd successor to the bishop of Rome, a person who was a student at the feet the apostles in his youth? Or perhaps I should simply revert to the question, how do you know that, Heidi, who told you? Did the dove of the holy Spirit alight upon your shoulders and whisper this truth into your ear?

who claim that the authors of the bible are liars when they themselves weren't even there should alone clue you in to what is true and what is false.

Who is the "who" here that the "authors of the bible are liars," Heidi?

th never contradicts itself. You have to remember, William, the the ONLY infallibe person is Jesus Christ.

Then explain to m the giving of the "keys of the kingdom" to Simon, now renamed Peter (ROCK) and is the first to receive the power to "bind and loose" in Matthew 16:19, let alone the previous verse, (verse 18) indicating that "the gates of hell shall not prevail against it" certainly shows the protection of the very Church Christ established as being one that shall not fall into error (that the "gates of hell will not prevail) that indicates a prime infallibility of the Church.

believe any other person is equally infallible, then you are worshipping fallible men, instead of Christ alone.

Do a good google search on the word "nfallible" and see if you do not get a good treatise on exactly what the Church teaches in regards to her own infallibility. For your information, the pope, all the bishops and priests of the church are just as fallible as all men are for 99.99% of the time. That .01 % is rare, comes not to be done by most popes, when an official ex cathadra (from the chair) definition of a doctrine or faith article that effects faith and morals of the Church, does the pope declare infalliby. But that is another "rabbit trail" I often have to go down to explain to others...

ver seen the pope walk on water, raise anyone from the dead, or die for our sins. Jesus said; "He who exalts himself will be humbled and he who humbles himself will be exalted." There can hardly be a more exalting statement from a human being than calling himself "OUR HOLY FATHER.' Even JESUS does not call himself that! Exalting oneself comes from the sin of pride. It CERTAINLY isn't humility!

I have not seen his holiness do that either, other then if the Lord so choose to give him that charisma, Heidi! :)

But in fact, Peter, the first pope (chief of the apostles) did both of those things! These charismas have nothing at all to do with the rare occasion where the pope is infallible in a teaching he may p;romulgate.

truly worship Jesus Christ, then all you have to do is believe HIS words, over the words of fallible men. But if you do NOT worship Jesus Christ, then you will believe the words of men over His. There is a REASON why Jesus told us NOT to call ANYONE on earth 'father'. The reason is because we will then worship that human being more than God. Your ONLY mediator is Jesus Christ, NOT people who claim infallibility when they haven't shown the world they are better than Christ. This is a lie. "By their fruits you will know them."

Heidi, I truly worship Jesus Christ, who is God and the second person of the Holy Trinity - God. I woirship noneother, Heidi

God bless,

PAX

Bill+†+

Give me that REAL old time religion!
The CATHOLIC CHURCH, 2,000 years of history!

William, by your post, it doesn't appear that you've read the bible. But if you have, you've intepreted it through the catholic church rather than through Christ. Before i became a Christian, I had never gone to church. So I've had the good fortune to read the bible without ANY other mediator to God except christ. Therefore, I will quote HIS WORDS to you, that is, if HIS words mean anything to you. Mt. 23:9-10, "And do not call anyone on earth 'father' for you have ONE, Father and he is in heaven. Nor are you to be called 'teacher', for you have ONE teacher, the CHRIST." Those are Jesus's words, my friend. You have ONE teacher. But if you have the catholic church interpret that for you, they can say ANYTHING they want because it is THEM whom you worship, is it not? Are't you in fact believing THEIR interpretation instead of Jesus's words alone? If your loyalty is to the POPE instead of to Christ, then he can proclaim himself to be GOD, (which is isn't far off from doing) and you would believe him. Did you know that the bible said that the anti-christ will proclaim himself to be God? But if you believe JESUS'S words over ANY man's words, then you worship Jesus and Jesus alone. That is how cults are formed. The cult leader's WHOLE point is to bring people to HIM instead of to Christ. They can deceive many, many people because people don't believe Jesus nor do most even KNOW Jesus's words. The cult leader DEPENDS on thier followers NOT to read the bible and INSISTS that THEY should interpret it for them. That's why your best and ONLY defense against being deceived is to KNOW AND BELIEVE CHRIST'S words!

The pope can do NOTHING for me! He cannot get me to heaven nor can he condemn me to hell. He cannot give me the Holy Spirit nor can he take it out of my heart. The pope is NOT God! He is just a man. But like a cult leader, the catholic church has convinced MILLIONS of people that they ARE God by stating that they are infallibe. This dupes many people. But again, if you believe JESUS (He's whom you're supposed to worship, remember?), then you will know what the trut is. John, 14: 16,-17, "And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever- the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be IN you." John, 14:20, "On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I AM IN YOU."

You need throw away EVERYTHING but the bible. The bible has ALL you need to know Christ and understand God's will for your life. You need to concentrate on Christ's words, then read the book of Acts. Acts explains that EACH MAN has to be born again of the Spirit (Jesus's words) in order to know Christ and have eternal life. JESUS has the words of eternal life, not the pope! Jesus is whom you can trust because he is the ONLY man who NEVER lied. But if you go through the catholic church to understand Jesus's words, then you do not have a PERSONAL relationship with Christ. You are simply learning it second-hand. Would you, for example, communicate with your wife through a third party? Or would you communicate directly to her? If it's the latter, then why would you NOT communictae with Christ personally? Jesus asks us to KNOW Him and "come to ME, I will give you rest." he does NOT say; "Come to the catholic church, it will give you rest."

Heidi said:
Willima, by your post, it doesn't appear that you've read the bible.

What ever gave you that idea? I spoke of at least two passages from the bible. Which certainly tells you that I read it!

But if you have, you've intepreted it through the catholic church rather than through Christ.

In fact, I "interpreted it" the way I did long before I became a Catholic! I did so in my Fundamentalist days, as a teenager and after I had joined the Navy in my youth. Of course, I later learned of the agreement with what the Catholic Church teaches, which is why I became a Catholic! Go to my web site, given in my profile, go to the apologetics portion and read "My Story."

Did you really read what it is I said in my last reply to you, Heidi? I get the impression that it went completely over your head with little comprehension on your part, which is probably my fault, as I am not the "word smith" I need to be.

Before i became a Christian, I had never gone to church. So I've had the good fortune to read the bible without ANY other mediator to God except christ.

Stood right by your side as you read the bible, right? :)

Therefore, I will quote HIS WORDS to you, that it, if HIS words mean anything to you. Mt. 23:9-10, "And do not call anyone on earth 'father' for you have ONE, father and he is in heaven. Nor are you to be called 'teacher', for you have ONE teacher, the CHRIST." Those are Jesus's words, my friend. You have ONE teacher.

And no one called this particular verse to you as a refutation of the reason we title our priests "father"? Sorry, I don’t buy it, seeing ht obvious signs in your message here that you were "introduced" to this passage by others, your pastor, congregation or the usual stuff I see everyday and for years, attempts to refute the teachings of the Catholic Church. You claim to have derived this in isolation in your reading of the bible, in the privacy of your own home without outside influence?

Here is a good read for you:

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/3975/fath.htm

But if you have the catholic church interpret that for you, they can say ANYTHING they want because it is THEM whom you worship, is it not?

Why do you distrust the Catholic Church so? Indeed, if the Catholic Church were the scoundrels you seem to think they were, they how can you trust the very bible you have, since it was the good monks of the Catholic Church who passed down the text of scriptures that you have them preserved to this day, let along canonized which books belong and which do not, in the several church synods of the early 4th century. Did you not read about that in my last reply, Heidi?

Are't you in fact believing THEIR interpretation instead of Jesus's words alone?

Do you believe the words of Christ per Matthew 16:18-19 where He established His church on Peter, gives him the "keys of the kingdom" of awesome authority, see also in the Hebrewic understanding of the metaphor of authority as we see in Isaiah 22:22, compounded and expanded further with the power to "bind and loose"? If so, then you will understand why I do indeed, lean on the teaching authority of that very same Church. Which Church? Did you read my last reply? Who is the only Church who can trace her existence back to the apostles themselves? Can your church do that, Heidi?

Heidi, your only "authority" is YOURSELF. Do you claim infallibility in your reading of the bible, Heidi?

If your loyalty is to the POPE instead of to Christ, then he can proclaim himself to be GOD, (which is isn't far off from doing) and you would believe him.

Heidi, when was the last time you beat your momma?

Why do I ask that question, you ask? Because it is the perfect example of a false premise implied in the question! The implication is, "you beat your momma"! Now, I certainly do not believe you would do such a thing, believe me, but when you say, "if your loyalty is to the POPE instead of to Christ," you imply a similar false premise, that I show greater loyalty to the pope then to Christ. It is also a false dichotomy, that pits a loyalty to the pope against a loyalty to Christ which is offensive to Catholics who are loyal to the pope BECAUSE they are loyal to Christ! How is this so? Because Christ gave great authority to Peter and his successors (we can discuss succession at a later time) that we are loyal to the pope, a successor of Peter. Your statement is similar to others who wonder why we honor Mary so, when we should be adoring Christ, her divine Son. We honor Mary, not because of her normal human self, but because she was chosen by God to be what she became, the mother of Jesus Christ, the Son of God! In other words, to honor Mary, we give greater honor to why we honor her, her own divine Son.

Also, where in the world do you get the idea that the pope "can proclaim himself to be God"? Show me one scrap of documentation that indicates such a claim, ever, in the history of the Church.

Did you know that the bible said that the anti-christ will proclaim himself to be God?

<Sigh!> Yes, I have read it and discussed it and considered it to total distraction…

Now, let me see who you are going to claim to be the "antichrist." (I shudder to think…)

But if you believe JESUS'S words over ANY man's words, then you worship jesus and Jesus alone.

I do worship Jesus and Jesus alone (a part of the Holy Trinity, which is God in three persons, including the Father and the holy Spirit, along with Jesus, the Son.) Now, all you have to do is show me where I might take the words of a man over that of Christ. Give it it your best shot, Heidi… :)

That is how cults are formed. The cult leader's WHOLE point is to bring people to HIM instead of to Christ. They can deceive many, many people because people don't believe Jesus nor do most even KNOW Jesus's words. The cult leader DEPENDS on thier followers NOT to read the bible and INSISTS that THEY should interpret it for them. That's why your best and ONLY defense against being deceived is to KNOW AND BELIEVE CHRIST'S words![/quuote]

Yes, I know of the likes of Jim Jones and David Korish… :)

[quote:e239c]The pope can do NOTHING for me! He cannot get me to heaven nor can he condemn me to hell.

Indeed, he, personally, cannot do these things including condemn you, me or anyone to hell! He may anathamatize or excommunicate someone, but that is not a condemnation to hell, Heidi. Only God and God alone condemns individuals to hell.

He cannot give me the Holy SPirit nor can he take it out of my heart. The pope is NOT God!

Indeed! Who in the world would claim otherwise? Have you heard any Catholic in this or other forums make such a claim?

He is just a man. But like a cult leader, the catholic church has convinced MILLIONS of people that they ARE God by stating that they are infallibe.
[/quote:e239c]

Indeed, he is "just a man." When did the "cult" start, Heidi? Pentecost already? Which was the Church then, 10 years later, 20 years later, 50 years later, 100 years later, 400 years later (about when the Church synods convened and began the scriptural canonization process) or when, Heidi?

That’s enough. Answer some of these questions and maybe, just maybe we can make some progress…

God bless,

PAX

Bill+†+

Christ has no body now but yours;
No hands, no feet on earth but yours,
Yours are the eyes with which he looks
Compassion on this world.
Yours are the feet with which he walks to do good.
Yours are the hands with which
he blesses all the world.
Christ has no body now on earth but yours.

- St. Therese of Avila -

Ahhhh Bill. It's good to have you around.

I was speaking with a cradle Catholic just yesterday, he's in his 70's. He reminds me a little of you...we got to talking and after a short time we exchanged emails to continued to discuss Vat. II and the 'reforms' that came to be. He's very interested in the Bible (as Catholics should be), and is even more interested in fundamentalism/Calvinism...etc. If things go well and it be God's will, I may have myself a convert. He's that interested...honestly. Him and I made a good connection on key fundamental issues in the world today and he (as do I) believe the Catholic Church isn't addressing them according the Bible...

God bless,

Jason
PS> I should also note that he has had contacts with fundies the last couple of months, it's not just me but the Holy Spirit leading. We ran into each other and soon found that we are brothers in Christ...as you and I are...even if we differ on important issue. Peace.

Jason said:
Ahhhh Bill. It's good to have you around.

I was speaking with a cradle Catholic just yesterday, he's in his 70's. He reminds me a little of you...we got to talking and after a short time we exchanged emails to continued to discuss Vat. II and the 'reforms' that came to be. He's very interested in the Bible (as Catholics should be), and is even more interested in fundamentalism/Calvinism...etc. If things go well and it be God's will, I may have myself a convert. He's that interested...honestly. Him and I made a good connection on key fundamental issues in the world today and he (as do I) believe the Catholic Church isn't addressing them according the Bible...

God bless,

Jason
PS> I should also note that he has had contacts with fundies the last couple of months, it's not just me but the Holy Spirit leading. We ran into each other and soon found that we are brothers in Christ...as you and I are...even if we differ on important issue. Peace.

Well, I am interested in the same things as well, but not with any tendency to "convert."

Get him here into this conference, and I will make sure he does not do what you are contemplating! :)

God bless,

PAX

Bill+†+

"Gloria in excelsis Deo"

(Intoned by the celebrant of the Mass.)

(The choir response.)

Et in terra pax homininus
bone voluntatis
Laudamus te
Benedicimus te
Adoramus te
Glorificamus te,
Gratias agimus tibi propter
magnum gloriam tuum.
Domine Deus, Rex Coelestis,
Deus Pater omnipotens
Domine Fili unigenite
Jesu Christe Domine Deus
Agnus Dei Filius Patris
Qui tollis peccata mundi
miserere nobis.
Qui tollis peccata mundi,
suscipe deprecationem nostram.
Qui sedes ad dexteramPatris,
miserere nobis.
Quoniam tu solus Sanctus,
Tu solus Dominus
Tu solus Altissimus
Jesu Christe.
Cum Sancto Spiritu
in gloria Dei Patris
Amen.

- The Ambrosian Gloria -

http://www.solesmes.com/sons/gloria.ram

(Real monks chanting....)

Gregorian Chant - God's music! :)

Bill, Do you even KNOW what Jesus means when he said the Holy Spirit is IN us? I repeat, do you even KNOW what Jesus means when he said that the Holy Spirit is IN us? If you did, then you couldn't have made the comment, "I suppose he stood right beside you." Once you know what it's like to be born again of the Spirit, then you will know who your ONLY teacher should be! Jesus tells you who.

So before you became a catholic, where did Jesus tell you to worship his mother?? Where did Jesus tell you to even PRAY to his mother???? Where did Jesus tell you to call ANYONE on earth 'father', much less OUR HOLY FATHER? Where did Jesus tell us to ANNOUNCE our fasting by putting ashes on our foreheads to show we are fasting instead of DISGUISING it so that only our Father in heaven knows we are fasting? Where did Jesus say that he had no brothers and that his mother bore no other children? Where did Jesus tell you that there are others on this earth who are as infallible as God? Where did Jesus tell us to adorn ourselevs and our churches with gold, bronze and priestly robes? Where did you get this stuff? Not only are these things NOT in the bible, but they are the OPPOSITE of what Jesus says! If you worship Christ, then why did you look for a church that disagrees with almost everything Jesus said?

Heidi said:
Bill, Do you even KNOW what Jesus means when he said the Holy Spirit is IN us? I repeat, do you even KNOW what Jesus means when he said that the Holy Spirit is IN us? If you did, then you couldn't have made the comment, "I suppose he stood right beside you." Once you know what it's like to be born again of the Spirit, then you will know who your ONLY teacher should be! Jesus tells you who.

Heidi, how do you know you have the holy Spirit within you that you are inspired to interpret scripture correctly? I am not questioning that the holy Spirit does not inspire us, but to what degree, extent and for what purpose? Sometimes, when I look back, I think the holy Spirit influenced me to do a certain good action. I "think" that I was influenced, but I do not know for sure; it may just my vivid imagination. This is the whole problem, Heidi, with you Fundamentalists (or whatever you are) that somehow, you have some exclusive contact with Him, the Third Person in the Holy Trinity when the evidence is, you do not, thinking that your interpretation, out of thousands of nuances and conflicting eisegesis of scripture that you have the right reading, interpretation, spin and know exactly what God had in mind when He influenced and inspired the scriptures. What scriptures? What writings are divinely inspired "God breathed" scripture and what are not? How do you know your New Testament is divinely inspired? Who told you? How do you know? Is there some earthly "authority" you can go to, to determine this? Did Christ leave an "authority" for us to go by? And while you contemplate this last question, it is not the bible, as Christ said nothing about writing a New Testament (the Old Testament being a given, now a closed covenant which is a wonderful testament to and for God and His people, but nothing but a foreshadowing of the gospel message to come, but in and of itself, it does not contain the gospel.)

The Muslim claims the same thing about the inspiration of the Q’ran, did you know that? What makes them wrong and you (or I) right in rejecting the Q’ran and accepting the bible as God-breathed scripture? By what "authority" do you believe that a certain collection of books that form the New Testament is God inspired? I am attempting to get you to respond to this series of questions introduced in previous messages in this thread.

So before you became a catholic, where did Jesus tell you to worship his mother??

<Sigh!> Did you read my previous replies at all, Heidi? Did I not declare that I worship God alone and that I honor the very mother that brought the Son of God into the world? Go back and read what I am saying, Heidi, as I get the distinctive feeling you only skim what I write with not a bit of comprehension on your part…sorry.

Where did Jesus tell you to even PRAY to his mother????

Must He say so, explicitly, Heidi, or by your reasoning, we must reject the holy Trinity as well, as there is not explicit statement in scripture that defines the Trinity, a word coined much later in church history. Jesus also failed to tell us to use candles in church, to have pipe organs and the like as well. So shall we eschew those as well?

Where did Jesus tell you to call ANYONE on earth 'father', much less OUR HOLY FATHER?

I give up.

Heidi, I gave you a good link for you to read concerning this issue and this I get back at me? I thus think I am wasting my time with you, so have a good day, and remember, God loves you too…

But before I go, I think you seriously need to read the Catholic argument on most of the things you have brought up. The link below gives you a good list of things to click on and read. Open your heart and mind and shed your prejudices, Heidi, and learn the truth:

http://www.bringyou.to/apologetics/apolog.htm#FATHERS

God bless,

PAX

Bill+†+

Lord, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things that I can,
and the wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time,
enjoying one moment at a time;
accepting hardship as a pathway to peace;
taking, as Jesus did, this sinful world as it is,
not as I would have it;
trusting that you will make all things right
if I surrender to Your will;
so that I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with You forever in the next.
Amen.

I remeber the DAY that I was born again of the spirit and the difference was like night and day. I now know what Paul meant when he said; "What do day and night have in common?" Until you know what life with the Holy spirit is like, then you will always judge fundamentalists and you will NEVER know Christ. Jesus said; "Many will say to me 'Lord, Lord' did we not prophesy in your name and in your name did we not cast out demons?' But I will say to you, 'get away from me, you evildoers! I never KNEW you." Jesus said; "Now eternal life is this; that you KNOW the one true God and Jesus Christ whom he sent."

The whole book of Acts and the last several chapters of the gospel of John tell us why we need a PERSONAL relationship with Christ! But again, who is Jesus to you compared to the catholic church? And what is the bible compared to the catholic church? You see the catholic church as God and their doctrine as the gospel!!!Sorry Bill, but it JESUS who tells us what heaven and hell is, not you or anyone else. If you want to get to heaven, you have to know His words and believe them. Otherwise, going to church and worshipping the church will do nothing for you. Only Jesus has the words of eternal life. Your posts have shown that you do NOT know what Jesus is talking about when he says we need to be born again of the Spirit. You also could not deny that Jesus never said the things that the catholic church preaches. But your response was; So? Jesus tells you how to get to heaven, but since you have such little regard for His words, then sadly, you will find out when you die what he meant. Therefore, you and I will never agree because we have different fathers. Yours is the pope and mine is God.

William Putnam said:
Jason said:
...If things go well and it be God's will, I may have myself a convert. He's that interested...honestly. Him and I made a good connection on key fundamental issues in the world today and he (as do I) believe the Catholic Church isn't addressing them according the Bible...

...Get him here into this conference, and I will make sure he does not do what you are contemplating! :)...
Hahaha, surely you jest, Mr. Bill. :) And Jason, I think Bill's idea to invite your new 'friend' here to discuss doctrines and such is a great one. Let the Holy Spirit do the convicting, not you nor Bill. :angel:

Maybe you could start a new thread and let us in on these "key fundamental issues" you speak about. I'd be interested as well.

Peace guys,
Vic

Vic said:
William Putnam said:
Jason said:
...If things go well and it be God's will, I may have myself a convert. He's that interested...honestly. Him and I made a good connection on key fundamental issues in the world today and he (as do I) believe the Catholic Church isn't addressing them according the Bible...

...Get him here into this conference, and I will make sure he does not do what you are contemplating! :)...
Hahaha, surely you jest, Mr. Bill. :) And Jason, I think Bill's idea to invite your new 'friend' here to discuss doctrines and such is a great one. Let the Holy Spirit do the convicting, not you nor Bill. :angel:

Of course! For such things Godly, the holy Spirit is usually the "instigator." :biggrin

Maybe you could start a new thread and let us in on these "key fundamental issues" you speak about. I'd be interested as well.

Peace guys,
Vic

Sure, and I will be around to discuss misconceptions about my faith to the best of my ability...

Come, holy Spirit...

God bless,

PAX

Bill+†+

Christus Vincit! Christus Regnat! Christus Imperat!

Back