Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Perspicuity of Scripture

mondar

I know the word "Perspicuity of Scripture" is a mouthful, and many may not be familiar with it. It is a doctrine which accompanies the doctrine of sola scriptura, but is not identical with sola scriptura. The word perspicuity refers to the characteristic of clearness and lucidity in a body of literature. This means that the bible can be understood by people who diligently work at understanding the scriptures with the help of the Holy Spirit. It does not mean everyone is right in claiming to understand the scriptures, many err. Not every single part has to be perfectly clear, but its message is understandable. This aspect of the scripture might be assumed by some, but there has been many who rejected the doctrine.

Marcion--- Marcion rejected the Hebrew Scriptures (Old Testament) as clear.
a Few Other church fathers---- Same as Marcion
Possibly Origin --- If the scriptures is not clear, allegorical hermeneutical methods are often used.
Roman Catholic apologists ---- Many in Roman Catholic theology deny the scriptures is clear and they favor the idea that only the Church can accurately interpret scripture (Pope and Councils). An obvious problem with this is that Church Councils have interpreted only a very small number of verses in the scripture. Another problem, is if the scriptures is not clear and needs Church authority to interpret it, who then will interpret the interpretation of the Church?
postmoderns --- I have talked to certain clergy in main demoninational Churches who deny that the Bible can be read by simply understanding the grammar and syntax and context. He suggested that the Bible can have many different and even contradictory messages to different people.

Passages in the bible related to perspicuity:
2 Tim 3:14-15 ----- Lois and Eunice were able to teach the scriptures to Timothy, even as a child!
Deuteronomy 6:6-7 ---- Israelite men were to teach the words of the Law to their children "You shall teach them diligently to our children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way..."
Acts 17:11 ---- The Bereans searched the scriptures to see if the things Paul said were scriptural.

Scriptures can be misunderstood, it can be misused, but the important parts are clear enough for the simple to grasp, understand, and live by. It is clear in its essentual matters. On the other hand, Scriptures is deep enough for readers of the highest intellectual ability to search it and recognize deeper and greater truths.

I am posting this in a thread separate from sola scriptura. I do not expect many comments, because it is an unusual topic, but because of the post modern society we live it, I hope the thoughts will be useful.

To God be the Glory,
Mondar

I respectfully disagree about the highest intellectuals can grasp the deeper scriptural truths, when the word is clear that the Holy Spirit is the Teacher and revealer of His truths, not carnal intellectualism.

Scriptures can be misunderstood, it can be misused, but the important parts are clear enough for the simple to grasp, understand, and live by.
Agreed.

It is clear in its essentual matters.
Im unsure - is there a typo here?

On the other hand, the Scriptures are deep enough for readers of the highest intellectual ability to search it and recognize deeper and greater truths.
I think you had a typo or two in there -was this what you meant to say?

If so, I very much disagree. I have observed, in 35+ years as a Christian, that great intellect is NOT enough to understand scripture.
I have watched very intelligent people fail to understand the Bible and then mock it and make sport of it.

I agree with the first two posts. I find that all that is needed to understand the Lords Word, is complete submission to the leading of the Holy Spirit.

--Elijah

I agree with the first two posts. I find that all that is needed to understand the Lords Word, is complete submission to the leading of the Holy Spirit.

--Elijah

Agreed.
I had a lot of knowledge of the Bible but it wasn't until I was baptized in the Holy Spirit that I started to gain great understanding of all my knowledge.

--Elijah

Agreed.
I had a lot of knowledge of the Bible but it wasn't until I was baptized in the Holy Spirit that I started to gain great understanding of all my knowledge.

:amen :thumbsup

Scriptures can be misunderstood, it can be misused, but the important parts are clear enough for the simple to grasp, understand, and live by. It is clear in its essentual matters. On the other hand, Scriptures is deep enough for readers of the highest intellectual ability to search it and recognize deeper and greater truths.

I understand the OP to be saying that although every essential teaching is clear there remains room even for those who possess the highest intellect to be challenged and that they too need to call unto God for understanding. Kindly correct me if I'm wrong, mondar - but that's the way I read your intent.

Psa 19:7 The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.

uhm , I have stumped many a few holy ghost filled pastors my views on Judaism and the churches teachings. once I break it down for them they then see what the jews had and how the metaphors work.ie the three wells of Isaac. the name of god and why abram didn't know the YHWH but he did know el-shaddai.

my chaplain encouraged me to stay into the grey areas of the bible as few spend time there looking and learning.if god doesn't lead you to see it you wont see it. the bible is always deeper then any person can ever ponder, there is always room to learn more.

I know the word "Perspicuity of Scripture" is a mouthful, and many may not be familiar with it. It is a doctrine which accompanies the doctrine of sola scriptura, but is not identical with sola scriptura.

So, it's not something you are going to prove by scripture alone. (?)

The word perspicuity refers to the characteristic of clearness and lucidity in a body of literature.

As opposed to hard to understand, (and even in some of the most popularly read places!?!)

2Peter 3:16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

This means that the bible can be understood by people who diligently work at understanding the scriptures with the help of the Holy Spirit
Without knowledge, study, there's a distinct possibility that its generally going to be a kind of pot-luck understanding? eg: They can, but no guarantee they will? So Pentecostals vs. Seventh-Day Adventists, vs. Mormans, etc.... and those who once went by the name "Fundamentalist."

Any one of them can understand it, (and many Mormans diligently read their bible(s), no offense), as do J.W.'s, but they come to drastically different conclusions on points of one wife or three, or "let no man separate what God has Joined", etc, etc. etc. And yet, Adulterers in the present tense are not going to enter heaven.... (pretty basic question.)

So who of these denominations will admit to not having the holy spirit guide them? Mormons, Pentecostals, SDA ? :D

This aspect of the scripture might be assumed by some, but there has been many who rejected the doctrine. Marcion--- Marcion rejected the Hebrew Scriptures (Old Testament) as clear. a Few Other church fathers---- Same as Marcion Possibly Origin --- If the scriptures is not clear, allegorical hermeneutical methods are often used. Roman Catholic apologists ---- Many in Roman Catholic theology deny the scriptures is clear and they favor the idea that only the Church can accurately interpret scripture (Pope and Councils). An obvious problem with this is that Church Councils have interpreted only a very small number of verses in the scripture. Another problem, is if the scriptures is not clear and needs Church authority to interpret it, who then will interpret the interpretation of the Church? postmoderns --- I have talked to certain clergy in main demoninational Churches who deny that the Bible can be read by simply understanding the grammar and syntax and context. He suggested that the Bible can have many different and even contradictory messages to different people.

One man's doctrine in another's apostacy....

Would you happen to have a few links to what these people have actually said; I'm curious and not familiar with most of them in the way you represent them. I had to take college courses, so I'm also wanting to follow up on your initial remark to me here and understand what motivated it in terms of "perspicuity":
http://www.christianforums.net/showthread.php?t=52286&p=835216&viewfull=1#post835216

College is possibly a postmodern influence on me, although I absolutely don't believe scriptures contain contradictory messages to people. Oddly enough, I got yelled at by the teacher within a week of theology 101 class because it seems a basic idea in scripture wasn't clear to both of us (no perspicuity common ground). I ended up dropping the class and taking a teacher who didn't deal with anger problems. ( A feminist, but not anti-man ... I was pleasantly surprised/shocked. )

The teachers were both genuine and knew scripture well, it's just that they disagree on most everything except Jesus Christ being the savior of the world ; and the ten commandments being important even today.

Passages in the bible related to perspicuity: 2 Tim 3:14-15 ----- Lois and Eunice were able to teach the scriptures to Timothy, even as a child! Deuteronomy 6:6-7 ---- Israelite men were to teach the words of the Law to their children "You shall teach them diligently to our children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way..." Acts 17:11 ---- The Bereans searched the scriptures to see if the things Paul said were scriptural.

But, isn't it obvious that the scriptures aren't being read with the Holy Spirit alone when they are being taught by mom and dad?
That's more an affirmation of tradition and teaching by human beings vs. scripture alone and perspicuity. ( 2Thessalonians 2:15 )
And many a church, Catholics aside, can teach from a pulpit rather than just from the book.

I like what Reba said, "making wise the simple."; eg: Scripture itself is an ongoing process of improving in wisdom.
That's a better argument toward perspicuity than anything else; although that's a process not a instant transformation.
I find scripture, beautiful -- wonderfully intricate -- surprisingly coherent; but not always easy to understand; even with prayer.

As to the Bereans, that's a people after my own heart. Bible study people. Not anti-tradition, but they DO check the word carefully.
But, even they -- as most converts -- came to Jesus by the aid of a Preacher; Romans 10:14, not from the bible alone, but someone explaining it.

So: When it comes to interpreting, we are SUPPOSED to share with each other what treasures we have found in scripture; whatever is good and true, and meditate on these things. Quite possibly we were taught by mom and dad, or given to by God through another person; it's no shame in my mind to not understand scripture the first time, and pride esp. about "I KNOW WHAT SCRIPTURE MEANS ALL BY MYSELF!!!" is a strong temptation for many people, encouraging them to jump to premature conclusions: Sometimes it TAKES an educated man to realize he doesn't understand what he has read.

Acts 8:30 And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest?
Acts 8:31 And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him.

The difference between the scripture and the man, Philip, is that wonderful ability to dialog freely. Just like we do here in the forums.

The Holy Spirit often comes through a prophet, such as Philip was to this Eunuch; telling him what he needed to know and was ready to learn. Perhaps you have been a prophet to someone in their hour of need?

Besides: Where is there a guarantee in scripture, or logic, that everyone will receive the Holy Spirit's direction on scripture without the spirit speaking through another person?; that individual "spiritism" must happen to all of us? ( The spirit, I am sure does speak to some of us directly. )

BUT: I don't see that perspicuity is absolutely necessary, although it would be nice if it were true....

OTOH: Scripture, however, I think, has multiple meanings in some places; which kinda puts me against your argument as I was introduced to it on the other thread; I really don't see how multiple meanings can be avoided. (but I'm listening.)

eg: Allegory, Analogy, prototypes/antitypes, and the literal meaning; among other issues.... ( Galatians 4:24-26 )
And he even says "Hagar is mount Sinai".

Or again:
When the prophecy of the virgin being with Child was made, that prophecy was to be seen by Ahaz.
What, then, was the fulfillment of the prophecy (Isaiah 7:14) to Ahaz who represented the House of David in Isaiah's day? ( The Lord will give to you-all a sign; you!notice! [singular imperative command] a virgin shall be with child. ).

I know the time when it the prophecy was to be fulfilled -- for Isaiah spoke about the child's food:
Isaiah 7:15 Butter and honey shall he eat, that he may know to refuse the evil, and choose the good.

And then, to show that the child lived in that day and not only centuries later, notice what Isaiah says -- whence comes the butter and honey In That Day?

Isaiah 7:21 And it shall come to pass in that day, that a man shall nourish a young cow, and two sheep;
Isaiah 7:22 And it shall come to pass, for the abundance of milk that they shall give he shall eat butter: for butter and honey shall every one eat that is left in the land.

The butter and honey is for someone who was left (overlooked) in the land during the war. The lack of active farm land, due to war conditions -- leads to an abundance of grazing land for a short period of time. Hence, butter from cows, goats, sheep -- and honey (from wild bees) were the food that's available; and we don't have "herds" but just a cow and a couple of lambs.... it's WAR time, not feast on meat because we're wealthy time -- as opposed to grapes and grain and lots of lamb-chops which are peace time foods for an established people who haven't been robbed of their flocks by a foreign nation.

Notably, grain and wine and sheep (millions of them slaughtered at the last passover) were abundant in Jesus day -- and we aren't told anything special that I remember about Jesus and honey... nor milk from when he was a boy... so, these don't seem to be special prophecy markers for Jesus. ( Do you know of any passage I might have overlooked ?? )

You might perhaps dispute this scripture, but the point is -- a sign was prophesied to Ahaz; and Jesus being born many centuries later would do Ahaz no good. A Virgin ( Parthenos in Greek ) is a woman who is *supposed* to be virgin. But -- In popular Greek usage, the word also connotes a woman who is supposed to be a virgin, but was raped, etc. (Not exactly sarcastic, but the word "virgin" becomes an accusation to such people.). In the Hebrew that we have today, the word is "almah" ( eg: young woman, but as in an unwed woman -- who had better be virgin under the law. ).

The miraculous nature of the prophecy depends on who the woman is -- and how she got pregnant. But I feel obligated to believe that Jesus the Christ came once, by a woman Mary, while she was still supposed to be a virgin; and that whatever woman Ahaz saw that became pregnant as a result of war was a different woman, and a different kind of miracle. But NONE the less, she would have stuck out in an obvious way as being a sign all those hundreds of years before Jesus was conceived -- and the later born Jesus was the maximum miraculousness that such a prophecy could have meant.

The Isaiah passage is a point of dispute between the two religions, Christianity and Judaism, but how can you see a fulfillment of the prophecy for Ahaz in the past without recognizing a double meaning of some kind in the prophecy? And if there was no fulfillment, then the prophecy could be argued false in Ahaz's day and Ahaz justified in his dealings with foreign governments. Isaiah would be a false prophet to Ahaz. Signs are of no value unless seen.

I think it clear that God can work with words which have two meanings, one from the person speaking -- and another from the fullest possible good those words could mean. ( Not even true prophets are always fully informed, themselves, and desired to understand what was to come: Luke 10:24 and 21 is context)

Genesis 50:19 And Joseph said unto them, Fear not: for am I in the place of God?
Genesis 50:20 But as for you, ye thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive.

John 11:50 Nor consider that it is expedient for us, that one man should die for the people, and that the whole nation perish not.
John 11:51 And this spake he not of himself: but being high priest that year, he prophesied that Jesus should die for that nation;

So it is that the author or historical speaker (originator) of the words may have a totally different intention or understanding than God who inspires the words.
Caiphas was wicked, Joseph's brothers were wicked; but their words brought about good -- although they themselves are not good because of the evil they did.

It's that eunuch from Acts that originally got me thinking about the issue of the multiple fulfillments possible in prophecy, and also got me noticing that the spirit interpreted scripture expressly through opening Philip's mouth, and not speaking to the eunuch directly.

Acts 8:29 Then the Spirit said unto Philip, Go near, and join thyself to this chariot.

... And the very educated eunuch is the one who noticed the issue in scripture of multiple meanings:

Acts 8:34 And the eunuch answered Philip, and said, I pray thee, of whom speaketh the prophet this? of himself, or of some other man?

Thank God for the preacher whom God pours the Holy Spirit into their mouth. :)
Peace be with you, and Glory to God this day.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would not say that Scripture is not "clear" but I would say that in order to properly understand it, one needs to understand the cultural / historical context in which the various books are written. In short, we should not assume that Paul, for example, wrote to 21st century westerners - he wrote to first century people in the Mediterranean basin. Big difference, as it turns out.

I find scripture, beautiful -- wonderfully intricate -- surprisingly coherent; but not always easy to understand; even with prayer.
I empathize with this, and suspect that a desire for "easy" answers has seduced us away from doing the hard work needed to mine all the treasures contained in Scripture.

College is possibly a postmodern influence on me, although I absolutely don't believe scriptures contain contradictory messages to people. Oddly enough, I got yelled at by the teacher within a week of theology 101 class because it seems a basic idea in scripture wasn't clear to both of us (no perspicuity common ground). I ended up dropping the class and taking a teacher who didn't deal with anger problems. ( A feminist, but not anti-man ... I was pleasantly surprised/shocked. )

I too dropped my Theology 101 class after 1 day. Looking back, it seems to me that the instructor set up several trolling statements (designed to provoke more so than instruct) and indeed his initial "lesson" may well have been designed purposefully in order to frustrate believers and cull them (voluntarily) from his class. Some of those guys are wise like that. I knew that it would be an uphill battle to maintain my GPA while taking his class and had to do a late enrollment into a "Literature/Gender/Science" class that was taught by a feminist (a man) and was also surprised by the cordial nature of his acceptance of me. Oh, and my grade in the gender class was an "A" but that was just because I knew how to listen and parrot back the source materials while keeping my thoughts distinct and marked as such in the required papers.

This whole experience (attending college and taking courses on theology) did show to me that the clear meaning of the Word of God is easily swallowed up by those who wish to insist that the parts that are difficult to understand must be conformed to the twists and turns of their thinking.

I understand the OP to be saying that although every essential teaching is clear there remains room even for those who possess the highest intellect to be challenged and that they too need to call unto God for understanding. Kindly correct me if I'm wrong, mondar - but that's the way I read your intent.

Yes, sorry for not being here. You understood correctly. My hat is off to you. Salute!

More than this, the doctrine of the perpicuity of scriptures does not men all men will understand everything. Neither does it mean that there is no need for the illuminating power of the HS.

The history of the debate over Perspicuity was mainly from the days of the Reformation. On the one side were the Roman Catholics who argue that the scriptures cannot be understood without the infallible magisterial authority of the Roman Catholic Church. On the other side were the Reformers who said that it is possible to understand the scriptures without the magesterium.

The doctrine does assume sola scritura also.

This doctrine is assumed by anyone quoting scriptures. Why would you think you can possibly understand the scriptures without the magesterium, or some illuminated group only has the authority to dictate what the scriptures mean? The doctrine does not mean that many will not misunderstand the scriptures.

So, it's not something you are going to prove by scripture alone. (?)
You really need to understand what the doctrine of sola scriptura actually means. I have seen you do this in another thread. You assume that the doctrine of sola scriptura teaches that scriptures is the only authority. It does not. It teaches that the scriptures are the only innerrant and infallible authority. These are not supposed to be debate threads, so I am going to leave some of your misunderstandings below without comment.

As opposed to hard to understand, (and even in some of the most popularly read places!?!)

2Peter 3:16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

Without knowledge, study, there's a distinct possibility that its generally going to be a kind of pot-luck understanding? eg: They can, but no guarantee they will? So Pentecostals vs. Seventh-Day Adventists, vs. Mormans, etc.... and those who once went by the name "Fundamentalist."

Any one of them can understand it, (and many Mormans diligently read their bible(s), no offense), as do J.W.'s, but they come to drastically different conclusions on points of one wife or three, or "let no man separate what God has Joined", etc, etc. etc. And yet, Adulterers in the present tense are not going to enter heaven.... (pretty basic question.)

So who of these denominations will admit to not having the holy spirit guide them? Mormons, Pentecostals, SDA ? :D

This aspect of the scripture might be assumed by some, but there has been many who rejected the doctrine. Marcion--- Marcion rejected the Hebrew Scriptures (Old Testament) as clear. a Few Other church fathers---- Same as Marcion Possibly Origin --- If the scriptures is not clear, allegorical hermeneutical methods are often used. Roman Catholic apologists ---- Many in Roman Catholic theology deny the scriptures is clear and they favor the idea that only the Church can accurately interpret scripture (Pope and Councils). An obvious problem with this is that Church Councils have interpreted only a very small number of verses in the scripture. Another problem, is if the scriptures is not clear and needs Church authority to interpret it, who then will interpret the interpretation of the Church? postmoderns --- I have talked to certain clergy in main demoninational Churches who deny that the Bible can be read by simply understanding the grammar and syntax and context. He suggested that the Bible can have many different and even contradictory messages to different people.

One man's doctrine in another's apostacy....

Would you happen to have a few links to what these people have actually said; I'm curious and not familiar with most of them in the way you represent them. I had to take college courses, so I'm also wanting to follow up on your initial remark to me here and understand what motivated it in terms of "perspicuity":
http://www.christianforums.net/showthread.php?t=52286&p=835216&viewfull=1#post835216

The teachers were both genuine and knew scripture well, it's just that they disagree on most everything except Jesus Christ being the savior of the world ; and the ten commandments being important even today.

Passages in the bible related to perspicuity: 2 Tim 3:14-15 ----- Lois and Eunice were able to teach the scriptures to Timothy, even as a child! Deuteronomy 6:6-7 ---- Israelite men were to teach the words of the Law to their children "You shall teach them diligently to our children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way..." Acts 17:11 ---- The Bereans searched the scriptures to see if the things Paul said were scriptural.

But, isn't it obvious that the scriptures aren't being read with the Holy Spirit alone when they are being taught by mom and dad?
That's more an affirmation of tradition and teaching by human beings vs. scripture alone and perspicuity. ( 2Thessalonians 2:15 )
And many a church, Catholics aside, can teach from a pulpit rather than just from the book.

I like what Reba said, "making wise the simple."; eg: Scripture itself is an ongoing process of improving in wisdom.
That's a better argument toward perspicuity than anything else; although that's a process not a instant transformation.

As to the Bereans, that's a people after my own heart. Bible study people. Not anti-tradition, but they DO check the word carefully.
But, even they -- as most converts -- came to Jesus by the aid of a Preacher; Romans 10:14, not from the bible alone, but someone explaining it.

So: When it comes to interpreting, we are SUPPOSED to share with each other what treasures we have found in scripture; whatever is good and true, and meditate on these things. Quite possibly we were taught by mom and dad, or given to by God through another person; it's no shame in my mind to not understand scripture the first time, and pride esp. about "I KNOW WHAT SCRIPTURE MEANS ALL BY MYSELF!!!" is a strong temptation for many people, encouraging them to jump to premature conclusions: Sometimes it TAKES an educated man to realize he doesn't understand what he has read.

Acts 8:30 And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest?
Acts 8:31 And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him.

The difference between the scripture and the man, Philip, is that wonderful ability to dialog freely. Just like we do here in the forums.

The Holy Spirit often comes through a prophet, such as Philip was to this Eunuch; telling him what he needed to know and was ready to learn. Perhaps you have been a prophet to someone in their hour of need?

Besides: Where is there a guarantee in scripture, or logic, that everyone will receive the Holy Spirit's direction on scripture without the spirit speaking through another person?; that individual "spiritism" must happen to all of us? ( The spirit, I am sure does speak to some of us directly. )

BUT: I don't see that perspicuity is absolutely necessary, although it would be nice if it were true....

OTOH: Scripture, however, I think, has multiple meanings in some places; which kinda puts me against your argument as I was introduced to it on the other thread; I really don't see how multiple meanings can be avoided. (but I'm listening.)

eg: Allegory, Analogy, prototypes/antitypes, and the literal meaning; among other issues.... ( Galatians 4:24-26 )
And he even says "Hagar is mount Sinai".

Or again:
When the prophecy of the virgin being with Child was made, that prophecy was to be seen by Ahaz.
What, then, was the fulfillment of the prophecy (Isaiah 7:14) to Ahaz who represented the House of David in Isaiah's day? ( The Lord will give to you-all a sign; you!notice! [singular imperative command] a virgin shall be with child. ).

I know the time when it the prophecy was to be fulfilled -- for Isaiah spoke about the child's food:
Isaiah 7:15 Butter and honey shall he eat, that he may know to refuse the evil, and choose the good.

And then, to show that the child lived in that day and not only centuries later, notice what Isaiah says -- whence comes the butter and honey In That Day?

Isaiah 7:21 And it shall come to pass in that day, that a man shall nourish a young cow, and two sheep;
Isaiah 7:22 And it shall come to pass, for the abundance of milk that they shall give he shall eat butter: for butter and honey shall every one eat that is left in the land.

The butter and honey is for someone who was left (overlooked) in the land during the war. The lack of active farm land, due to war conditions -- leads to an abundance of grazing land for a short period of time. Hence, butter from cows, goats, sheep -- and honey (from wild bees) were the food that's available; and we don't have "herds" but just a cow and a couple of lambs.... it's WAR time, not feast on meat because we're wealthy time -- as opposed to grapes and grain and lots of lamb-chops which are peace time foods for an established people who haven't been robbed of their flocks by a foreign nation.

Notably, grain and wine and sheep (millions of them slaughtered at the last passover) were abundant in Jesus day -- and we aren't told anything special that I remember about Jesus and honey... nor milk from when he was a boy... so, these don't seem to be special prophecy markers for Jesus. ( Do you know of any passage I might have overlooked ?? )

You might perhaps dispute this scripture, but the point is -- a sign was prophesied to Ahaz; and Jesus being born many centuries later would do Ahaz no good. A Virgin ( Parthenos in Greek ) is a woman who is *supposed* to be virgin. But -- In popular Greek usage, the word also connotes a woman who is supposed to be a virgin, but was raped, etc. (Not exactly sarcastic, but the word "virgin" becomes an accusation to such people.). In the Hebrew that we have today, the word is "almah" ( eg: young woman, but as in an unwed woman -- who had better be virgin under the law. ).

The miraculous nature of the prophecy depends on who the woman is -- and how she got pregnant. But I feel obligated to believe that Jesus the Christ came once, by a woman Mary, while she was still supposed to be a virgin; and that whatever woman Ahaz saw that became pregnant as a result of war was a different woman, and a different kind of miracle. But NONE the less, she would have stuck out in an obvious way as being a sign all those hundreds of years before Jesus was conceived -- and the later born Jesus was the maximum miraculousness that such a prophecy could have meant.

The Isaiah passage is a point of dispute between the two religions, Christianity and Judaism, but how can you see a fulfillment of the prophecy for Ahaz in the past without recognizing a double meaning of some kind in the prophecy? And if there was no fulfillment, then the prophecy could be argued false in Ahaz's day and Ahaz justified in his dealings with foreign governments. Isaiah would be a false prophet to Ahaz. Signs are of no value unless seen.

I think it clear that God can work with words which have two meanings, one from the person speaking -- and another from the fullest possible good those words could mean. ( Not even true prophets are always fully informed, themselves, and desired to understand what was to come: Luke 10:24 and 21 is context)

Genesis 50:19 And Joseph said unto them, Fear not: for am I in the place of God?
Genesis 50:20 But as for you, ye thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive.

John 11:50 Nor consider that it is expedient for us, that one man should die for the people, and that the whole nation perish not.
John 11:51 And this spake he not of himself: but being high priest that year, he prophesied that Jesus should die for that nation;

So it is that the author or historical speaker (originator) of the words may have a totally different intention or understanding than God who inspires the words.
Caiphas was wicked, Joseph's brothers were wicked; but their words brought about good -- although they themselves are not good because of the evil they did.

It's that eunuch from Acts that originally got me thinking about the issue of the multiple fulfillments possible in prophecy, and also got me noticing that the spirit interpreted scripture expressly through opening Philip's mouth, and not speaking to the eunuch directly.

Acts 8:29 Then the Spirit said unto Philip, Go near, and join thyself to this chariot.

... And the very educated eunuch is the one who noticed the issue in scripture of multiple meanings:

Acts 8:34 And the eunuch answered Philip, and said, I pray thee, of whom speaketh the prophet this? of himself, or of some other man?

Thank God for the preacher whom God pours the Holy Spirit into their mouth. :)
Peace be with you, and Glory to God this day.

Scriptures can be misunderstood, it can be misused, but the important parts are clear enough for the simple to grasp, understand, and live by.
Agreed.

It is clear in its essentual matters.
Im unsure - is there a typo here?

On the other hand, the Scriptures are deep enough for readers of the highest intellectual ability to search it and recognize deeper and greater truths.
I think you had a typo or two in there -was this what you meant to say?

If so, I very much disagree. I have observed, in 35+ years as a Christian, that great intellect is NOT enough to understand scripture.
I have watched very intelligent people fail to understand the Bible and then mock it and make sport of it.

Pizzaguy, I do not believe you are properly addressing the doctrine of the Perpicuity of Scripture. The doctrine does not state that men of great intellect will infallibly and inerrantly interpret scriptures. In fact the doctrine does not speak of men at all, but the nature of Scriptures itself.

On the other hand, I would not rule out that there are parts of the scriptures that men of great intellect can understand more deeply then some who are more simple.

Also, the doctrine does not speak of spirituality. While the scripture might have the character that it can be understood, that does not mean that even though it is understood it will be believed.

On the other hand, I would not rule out that there are parts of the scriptures that men of great intellect can understand more deeply then some who are more simple.

And visa-versa or flipped too. We've heard that may God delight to confound the wise even with simple truths that may be explicitly clear to a child. You are correct about this not being about man. Einstein is famous for many things. One of his insights was, "God does not play dice with the universe," or so I have heard. This compared to the child who wanted to approach Jesus when others (even disciples) sought to stop them.

Children are playful and innocent, so the disciples maybe didn't want them to go to Jesus who may have been seen to be too busy? But Jesus said that the Kingdom of heaven belongs to them... It's far better for us to know nothing and seek Him than to "know" Him in the head, not in the heart, and where we do nothing or where we may even deny others. Even children with all their blurting out of the truth and other, perhaps embarrassing, utterances of the heart...

Do what is pleasing to God!

I know the word "Perspicuity of Scripture" is a mouthful, and many may not be familiar with it. It is a doctrine which accompanies the doctrine of sola scriptura, but is not identical with sola scriptura. The word perspicuity refers to the characteristic of clearness and lucidity in a body of literature. This means that the bible can be understood by people who diligently work at understanding the scriptures with the help of the Holy Spirit. It does not mean everyone is right in claiming to understand the scriptures, many err. Not every single part has to be perfectly clear, but its message is understandable. This aspect of the scripture might be assumed by some, but there has been many who rejected the doctrine.

Marcion--- Marcion rejected the Hebrew Scriptures (Old Testament) as clear.
a Few Other church fathers---- Same as Marcion
Possibly Origin --- If the scriptures is not clear, allegorical hermeneutical methods are often used.
Roman Catholic apologists ---- Many in Roman Catholic theology deny the scriptures is clear and they favor the idea that only the Church can accurately interpret scripture (Pope and Councils). An obvious problem with this is that Church Councils have interpreted only a very small number of verses in the scripture. Another problem, is if the scriptures is not clear and needs Church authority to interpret it, who then will interpret the interpretation of the Church?
postmoderns --- I have talked to certain clergy in main demoninational Churches who deny that the Bible can be read by simply understanding the grammar and syntax and context. He suggested that the Bible can have many different and even contradictory messages to different people.

Passages in the bible related to perspicuity:
2 Tim 3:14-15 ----- Lois and Eunice were able to teach the scriptures to Timothy, even as a child!
Deuteronomy 6:6-7 ---- Israelite men were to teach the words of the Law to their children "You shall teach them diligently to our children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way..."
Acts 17:11 ---- The Bereans searched the scriptures to see if the things Paul said were scriptural.

I am posting this in a thread separate from sola scriptura. I do not expect many comments, because it is an unusual topic, but because of the post modern society we live it, I hope the thoughts will be useful.

To God be the Glory,
Mondar
Hi Mondar,

I understand this is not the forum to debate, so I hope that my response will not come across as contentious but merely highlighting another perspective on a surely difficult topic. My hope is for fruitful discussion.

From the dawn of Christianity even beforehand among the Jews there has always been "competing" interpretations for different texts. For example, a literal versus metaphorical interpretation of Genesis, Arminianism versus Calvinism, Pre-Millennialism vs Amillenialism vs Post Millenialism, Reformed View of Justification vs NPP view of Justification vs Roman Catholic perspective on Justification vs Eastern Orthodox View of Justification, Adult vs Infant Baptism, etc. etc. etc.

We also must recognize that we as Christians are not Pluralists, we do not accept the idea that the Arminians and Calvinists for example are both right, either one is wrong both are wrong or they both are right on certain points. However, when you have two opposing views that directly conflict with each other you do not have two true views however valid each may be. Yet, we have some of the godliest and learned of theologians, Pastors, etc. who have accepted all kinds of the different positions I briefly mentioned above.

What this results in, is when someone claims to have come to a conclusion about the Scripture as a direct result of the Holy Spirit this effectively accomplishes the following:

1. It marginalizes other points of view as not from God, despite the fact that people from both perspectives claim to have received revelation from God.
2. It removes the possibility for discussion and criticism of that view. If God is the one who revealed it to you, then it will appear to those who disagree (often for good reasons) are going against God's will.
3. It is a claim to absolute knowledge on a matter that has been in great dispute for centuries, and one's subjective spiritual experience then supersedes the scholarly work of hundreds of people.
4. People who take this view generally are not critical of their own views. So convinced of their revelation experience they do not call into doubt it's origin and thus take any outside criticism as a personal offense against their faith and would not dare call into question their own perspective and presuppositions on the matter.
5. It does not take into account the many intricacies of interpreting this ancient book such as the translational challenges from the original Koine Greek and Hebrew, or the difficulty of understanding the author of the given text (for example understanding Paul correctly in the 1st Century) in addition to his audience and the occasion for writing the book, etc. Many of these challenges have only had great progress in our advancing in knowledge in the last Century with the discovery of so many ancient documents from the period. Giving us a fresh perspective of how these people thought and believed.

My first point is probably the chief of my contentions, as when one who holds to the perspicuity of Scripture talks about those who have different perspectives they begin to talk about how people "misunderstand", "misuse", or "misinterpret" the Scriptures. Yet it appears they themselves are immune to this charge because all of Scripture is laid bare to their enlightened eyes.

So my perspective on this issue, which I grant may be incorrect but I believe justifiable is that we should not entrust an elite set of people such as scholars or Church authorities as the RCC did. Rather, we should have a healthy dose of humility, compassion and open mindedness to perspectives different from our own. To appreciate that people even more passionate for God, more intelligent, more learned than you or I have come to various different conclusions and we ourselves are not the plumb line of truth. These matters can indeed be difficult to figure out, be respectful of the process, be open to discussion and criticism but do so in a patient and gentle way. Try to understand that you as a fallible human being are subject emotional prejudices and presuppositions and it is not until both parties acknowledge that they can be wrong.. that true and fruitful discussion can be had.

I appreciate you taking your time to read this, and I hope you do not view my differences as an attack against Scripture, but rather my humble appreciation of what I have observed not only in my discussions but throughout Christian history.

Thank you,
Doulos Iesou

Einstein is famous for many things. One of his insights was, "God does not play dice with the universe," or so I have heard. This compared to the child who wanted to approach Jesus when others (even disciples) sought to stop them.
I am a lover of context, and as such I thought you might appreciate what Einstein's comment was framed in. Einstein as a believer in God was attempting to critic Quantum Physics, because he found the randomness of Quantum Physics to be an idea contrary to his concept of God. In other words, he was later summarized as saying "God does not play dice with the universe," though his initial statements were a bit more direct and specific to the perspective.

Einstein was later found to be in error as experiments have time and time again demonstrating that Quantum Mechanics (physics at the microscopic levels and below) does indeed have some merit. This of course does not mean that God plays dice with the universe, but rather that the mysteries of the universe are a bit more precarious to discover than we thought and laws of physics that we observe and are use to are not necessarily universal on all scales.

Hope this helps,
Doulos Iesou

Back