Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Predestination - OSAS

If we only used the Old testament, the new covenant, and the message of Christ being that striving towards being a perfect human being and that the inner kingdom is within us, what is there to argue about? We all need to work on our inner kingdom continuously, Christ mentioned that those who work harder in his name are rewarded equally to their works (this doesnt mean material possessions either, it's happiness and love ;) ). We can see this cause and effect around us, in this lifetime without thinking about the next. Yah sometimes things come along and try to uproot us, but that's also best described in the parable of the seeds. Those who get lazy because of OSAS are going to see the effects on themselves, or the world around them with their loved ones, or just experience a total increase of material/carnal pleasures which will blind them and they wouldn't be serving God anymore, and in turn be contributing to the decay of the world we live in right now.

Personally I think we should all stop thinking about our salvation in the next life, and do our best to improve the outer kingdom around us by strengthening our inner kingdom through the message of Christ (ie acting like him). Because if that becomes our focus, we will still be saved on the day of judgment, and in turn we won't be thinking about ourselves so much, making the world around us a much better place for everyone to live in.

Mike said:
HisSheep said:
Sidebar: I am always shocked by the anger of Arminians... Heresy, indeed. Makes me wonder...
-HisSheep
With your post directed at me, I hope this sidebar wasn't in response to anything I said.

Not at all, Mike. You seem rather level-headed. I was referring to this comment:

watchman F said:
I am sorry you were convince by that heresy. I pray that God will reveal His truth to you before it is too late.

But I meant it in the larger sense… Calvinism makes lots of people angry. It shocks me a bit – because Paul was pretty clear about it in his writing. Just read Ephesians 1:3-14. How else can a Christian interpret this passage, except to take it at face value? It is not complex and it is not at all veiled. I agree with Paul entirely. How could that be heresy?

Mike said:
What you've described here is terrific! I fully agree! :yes God doesn't "need" us to spread the Gospel, but it's a privilege and a joy to do it! However, you've told me why (if one accepts predestination) someone obeys the Lord and spreads the word. You haven't said why this would be necessary for the people who hear it. Why does the world need to know if they are bound by predestination to be saved or not?

It’s not so much that it is necessary, Mike, it’s just that that’s the way God wants it done. I imagine there is a good reason. I have a few guesses, but I don’t really know. It could simply be that we benefit from the preaching - that it helps to make us more like Christ.

Also, I think that when God says, in Ezekiel (and elsewhere), “I, myself will search for my sheep…†He means it in this way: God is within His believers. If they are submitting to His will, then it is the Holy Spirit actually doing the evangelism. So, God is searching for His sheep, but He is doing it through His body, the church.

Plus: faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. We are to do God’s work – by continuing the ministry of Jesus – Spreading the good news. We are continuing His call to the sheep. But ultimately, God decides who believes, not man.

Mike said:
HisSheep, in the interest of space, I cut out some of this segment. I love Ezekiel, but I don't see where anything said negates free will. We both agree that we are powerless to grasp the fullness of God without Him first revealing himself to us, but I wouldn't say that we have no choice but to accept it. I wonder what you would say to 2 Peter 3?

"8But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. 9The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."

Mysteryman asked about this,too. Keep in mind that 2Peter is addressed specifically to believers, not to the world-at-large. Here is his salutation:

2 Peter 1
Simon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ,
To those who through the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ have received a faith as precious as ours:

This goal of the epistle is not to evangelize the world. It is a book of exhortations to believers. God wants all of His sheep to come to faith, to come to repentance. - and they all will! He is patient in their coming, and in their perseverance. Many will say that I am just twisting this verse. But the other view runs into trouble... We know that not all people will be saved, right? It must be less than half, or Jesus wouldn't have said that the way is narrow and few will find it. Question: How could an all-powerful God fail in achieving His goal of saving every human? Will not the saved enjoy the destruction of the wicked? Read Rev. 18 and 19 and see! God does not mourn the loss of every soul. They are not losses to Him. They are chaf, weeds, and plants not planted by Him in the first place.(Mat 15:13) Jesus didn't come here to save everyone, He is here to restore the house of israel, just as the OT says.

Mike said:
If Predestination is true and free will has no validity:
Why is He patient with us?
Why would He desire that none of us perish?
Why would He want everyone to come to repentance?

Free will does have validity. It is instrumental in our period of sanctification. But prior to this point, our will is all bad. There is a biblical outline of the “world-to-heaven†trajectory. Paul makes it clear in his letter to the Romans that the pattern works like this:

1.) Justification. The hour we first believed; we are granted faith by God. Salvation happens here; and it is unearned. We can not affect this at all. We play no role in it whatsoever. The Holy Spirit takes up residence within a believer at this point (baptism by the Spirit). He does not leave after having done so.

2.) Sanctification. Here, we are “set apart for Godâ€, (the meaning of the word, by the way). This is the rest of our lives; our “walk with the Lord†if you like. We have choices here to obey/disobey the indwelling Spirits’ guidance/commands (just as Israel did during their walk), but our ultimate salvation is assured. He has adopted us as sons, and will raise us up to be like Christ. Any disobedience on our part, and all hardships (whether caused by our disobedience or not) will ultimately work for God’s (and our) benefit.

3.) Glorification. This is the completion of our conformation to Christ’s image. This is it! We are raised as Christ was raised: In soul, mind, and body. Home at last!

In the justification part of this, we have no role. One either believes, or does not. If we believe, it is because God has enabled us to believe. We cannot choose to believe. We cannot choose God. Left to our own sinful nature, we would make the wrong decision all day long. But God saves us, like a firefighter pulling an infant from a burning building. After being saved, our walk with the Lord begins. The infant does not “choose†to be saved, and neither do we. The infant can claim no role in his having been saved.

Heaven will not be filled with those who merely “made the right decision†about Jesus. It will be filled with those upon whom God has mercy.

Note: Paul addresses these three “stages†separately and in different tenses: I have been saved (justification), I am being saved (sanctification), and I will be saved (glorification).

Mike said:
I said before, and I'll say again. This is interesting and important, but I don't believe this theology separates either of us from the Body of Christ. There are very sincere Christians who are very knowledgeable of scripture who use scripture to confirm or refute this doctrine. If you're up in arms that Calvinists are called heretics, I hope you won't call me a heretic for denying it. :) [/b]

Agreed, no, I don’t think you’re a heretic. I do hope you gain an understanding for this doctrine though, because it is a great comfort to know that you are a son of God. He will not depart from you. All of the suffering you will endure will work to God’s benefit, and yours. If you fail in your attempt to reach someone with the gospel message, it is either because God isn’t ready for them to have faith yet, or they never were meant to. Take heart. God will accomplish everything he intends to accomplish. Do not fear Satan, he is no challenge to God whatsoever.

I’m not really up in arms. When I first started studying-up on predestination, I was surprised at how vicious the reaction to it was from other believers. It just made me all the more curious. I thought to myself, "The “worl†doesn’t seem to like this theology very much, maybe I’m really on to something…"

-HisSheep

watchman F wrote:I am sorry you were convince by that heresy. I pray that God will reveal His truth to you before it is too late

But I meant it in the larger sense… Calvinism makes lots of people angry. It shocks me a bit – because Paul was pretty clear about it in his writing. Just read Ephesians 1:3-14. How else can a Christian interpret this passage, except to take it at face value? It is not complex and it is not at all veiled. I agree with Paul entirely. How could that be heresy?
Ephesians 1
13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

I dont see how this is supposed to support any of Calvin's teaching much less Predestination or OSAS

21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father who is in heaven.
22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy by thy name, and by thy name cast out demons, and by thy name do many mighty works?
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

francisdesales said:
Jesus said "without Me, you can do nothing [good]". John 15:5. Correct? Thus, how can we literally interpret Mat 7:23 without exaggeration or hyperbole?
The context of John 15:5 and Matthew 7:23 have no connection. Why jump from one context to another and go all over the place?

francisdesales said:
I believe the "works of iniquity" are not refering to one's entire walk.
OK, you believe that, but how does what you believe come from the text? Or are we to assume that it is proper to impost what you believe upon the text?

francisdesales said:
When people first enter the faith, we presume that they are honestly seeking God - it is only later where they become disillusioned or take on a more secular and selfish view of serving God.
Presume is a very good word, but I do not presume that anyone is seeking God.
Romans 3:11 There is none that understandeth, There is none that seeketh after God;
Neither am I willing to presume that later the saints will take on a "secular and selfish view of serving God."

francisdesales said:
At that point, the relationship between the inner heart and the outer works is severed, and we have a hypocrite.
Based upon all the presumptions not based upon the text in anyway, we do have a hypocrite.

francisdesales said:
Jesus, in context, is condemning hypocrisy, which is or was not a PERMAMENT feature of an individual's walk. Thus, the "never knew you" cannot be literal, since that means we NEVER can know if we know God (since the future hypocrisy will "prove" that God never knew us 10 years ago when we were more of a pure heart, seeking God)...
Based upon your word.... presume, we make presumption after assumption, we over-rule the text and say that when Jesus said that he "never" knew them; we come to the conclusion that this is an hyperbolic exaggeration and that Jesus actually did once know them and they fell away after their "inner heart and outer works is severed?" You say that there is amble evidence in the text to demonstrate that Jesus intended this to be non-literal, yet you jump to John for the context?

Francis, you still have not touched the context and verse 21 which says "not everyone who says Lord, Lord, will enter the kingdom." Then in verse 22, the men who say "Lord Lord," are represented as prophesying or speaking in the name of Christ. But when we get to verse 23 you say this is not about false Christians, that they were once saved and lost their faith.

Francis, when you say that the context is not literal, but hyperbole, is this a method of picking and choosing which texts you want to believe?

francisdesales said:
mondar said:
francisdesales said:
I am sorry, you are mistaken, as James doesn't speak about "true" faith v "false" faith. Dead faith is faith, just the same, with a qualifier. He calls the "poor examples" of Christians as STILL having faith - he calls it DEAD. Not salvific. The qualifier, the adjective, describes "faith". It is faith, just as a body that is dead is still a body (see the end of James 2).

Francis, what in the world is the difference between a dead faith that is "not salvific" and a false faith that does not save?

Does James call them unregenerate because they, at the moment, have a dead faith? You seem to avoid that.

As to the difference, perhaps it is minor to you, but I see a difference. A dead faith does not imply a malicious hypocrisy as false faith does. The later seems to imply one is more concerned with pretending one is a faithful follower of God by DOING good things without the pure heart. That is clearly not what we have in James' community of chapter 2. We have a dead faith, a faith without works of love. Thus, in the "dead faith", we have a Christian not loving, even by outward show, and in the "false faith", we have a Christian pretending to be good, doing good things, but having human motivations behind them. THIS is what Jesus is condemning in Matt 7.
If I have a dead horse, what chance is there that he will get up and plow my field? If I have a dead fish in my fish tank, do you think he will ever swim around in my fish tank again? A dead faith is meaningless, it does not produce salvation. This is why James says in the context....
James 2:14 (ASV) What doth it profit, my brethren, if a man say he hath faith, but have not works? can that faith save him?
The implied answer is "no." Surely we can agree on this?

I dont think I brought up this text. This was you, showing that a man can loose his salvation. You assumed that the man in Chapter 2 that is in the assembly, being baptized, was saved. The only evidence you present is that we are to "presume" baptismal regeneration and that he had to be saved. Of course, I do not presume that this is in the text.

francisdesales said:
What is the distinction between a faith with fruits and a faith working in love???
LOL, no idea. I can tell you what I am referring to by my term. I am speaking of the nature of faith. It is not the works that accompany the faith that save, but the faith itself. But, the nature of that faith, being a regenerate faith, it will have its fruits. If you want to use the term "faith working in love," to describe what I just said, no problemo.

francisdesales said:
mondar said:
francisdesales said:
SO, you apparently believe a person moves in and out of salvation, is regenerate and becomes unregenerate, based upon the action of the day?

Nope

That doesn't seem to be the case... The persons refered to in James 2, by your account, are unregenerate, because they fail to show more deference to poor members of the community. It appears it is your contention that one must be perfect, everyday, otherwise, they are unregenerate - whether that means NEVER regenerate in the first place or are deemed unregenerate, I am not sure, but the former seems likely by your previous exegesis of Mat 7...
You are correct that I am saying the person never received the action of the HS, whereby he changes the nature of the rebel sinner, to have a nature in which he is no longer a slave of his sin nature, but capable, or even bent toward righteousness (<-----definition of regeneration). So yes, I am saying the hypothetical person in James 2, and the demon, and the man with the gold ring, were never, ever, regenerate. The HS did not change their nature. If he was jewish and circumcised, he was not regenerate, if he was christian and baptized, he still was not regenerate.

francisdesales said:
I don't see such matters as black and white (either regenerate or not).
I want to add, then in your theology, the infant that is baptized and is regenerate in a "black and white" sense? What do you mean you don't see it as "either regenerate or not?"

francisdesales said:
Thus, Paul doesn't tell the Galatians they were never saved to begin with because of some judaizing tendencies. He never tells them they were never regenerated if they perform evil acts - he only says they won't inherit the kingdom.
Francis, you can't just pick a text and say "see, regeneration is not in this text, so you are not right." I recognize there are literally thousands of text regeneration is not mentioned. I will even admit regeneration is not mentioned in James 2. But that does not mean you established your point that the man in James 2 lost his salvation. You cannot prove he was ever saved. You only assume baptismal regeneration in James 2 and then assume he was saved. So then, you are reading your theology into the text. Now you pick a text (Galatians) and ask me to show regeneration in Galatians!

francisdesales said:
mondar said:
My other point is that they were not regenerate or saved, otherwise how could 1John 2:19 say "they were not of us."

I already explained, again and again, the "us" is refering to the elders, not the entire community. "They" were not sent by the elders...
OK, somehow I missed what you were saying. My apologies for not reading what you were saying more closely.

First let me quote the text.
19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they all are not of us.

The issue is the word "us." You are suggesting that when the text says "out from us" it is referring to the leadership of the Church. In my view it is they went out from the Church itself, and the "us" is not referring directly to the leadership.

I think I am correct because of the context of the book. It is not addressed to the leadership of any Church, but to the "little children." Lets be consistent. If the word "us" refers to only the leadership, how would you look at texts like 2:1-2?
1 My little children, these things write I unto you that ye may not sin. And if any man sin, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:
2 and he is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for the whole world.

So then, to be consistent, and when we see a 3ird person plural, we would have to read it as the "leadership of the Church." Then John is saying the Elders of the Church have their sins paid, and only the leadership has an advocate with the Father?

More then this, right in the verse there are problems in your view. These antiChrists had to remain with the leadership (us)? or they were not of the leadership(us)? They went out from the leadership to make it manifest that they were not of the leadership?

And this has a relationship to the Judiasers in Acts? Is this what you are claiming the text says?

So then, the antiChrists were of the Church, just not of the leadership?

mondar said:
The context of John 15:5 and Matthew 7:23 have no connection. Why jump from one context to another and go all over the place?

Explain please. Scripture is telling us that we can do no good without Him. You are disagreeing with that, apparently...?

mondar said:
Presume is a very good word, but I do not presume that anyone is seeking God.

According to the Bible, God is pleased with those who seek Him out. Thus, people must seek Him out. I give people the benefit of the doubt when they claim to seek God out.

mondar said:
Romans 3:11 There is none that understandeth, There is none that seeketh after God;

You should read the Psalms where that comes from. Paul is using this to refer to evil Jews who are not seeking out God, not a universal statement that no one seeks Him out, which is Calvinism avoiding a mountain of Scriptures. Other Psalms tell us that the just and righteous seek Him out. So either the bible contradicts itself or you are mis-interpreting Romans 3.

mondar said:
presume, we make presumption after assumption, we over-rule the text and say that when Jesus said that he "never" knew them; we come to the conclusion that this is an hyperbolic exaggeration and that Jesus actually did once know them and they fell away after their "inner heart and outer works is severed?"

Does this mean that no hyperbole exists in Scriptures? The bible tells us that we can do NOTHING (good) without Jesus. Is that ambiguous? Is that restrictive? It applies to Mat 7, then, unless Jesus was just kidding in John's Gospel. Now, if the person described in Mat 7 had done ANY good work, EVER in his entire life, then Christ was there, according to Scriptures.

Or do you claim that men can do good deeds without Christ??? This overturns much of Protestant theology, if so...

mondar said:
Francis, when you say that the context is not literal, but hyperbole, is this a method of picking and choosing which texts you want to believe?

I am not about to chop off my arm to keep from doing evil, as Christ appears to say in this same section of the Bible. Nor do I feel the call to pluck out my eyes to avoid hell. My tradition says this is not literal, but a hyperbole, to show the seriousness of controlling the eyes/hands regarding sin. Since my Tradition (and common sense) does not accept "OSAS", I do not take the words of Christ literally (I NEVER knew you) in Matthew 7, either. It is exaggeration.

If we did, as I said, one would NEVER know if Jesus actually knew us! We can claim it, we can THINK we are of the elect, but who knows what the future holds - perhaps one will become a hypocrite in their religious pride (not an unthinkable for you or I) - which nullifies EVERYTHING YOU EVER DID... all of your prayers, thoughts, etc., will be judged to be worthless and Jesus never knew you! Ridiculous. As such, you don’t know if TODAY'S prayers are even heard by Christ. OSAS does the opposite of what it pretends to do...

Because logic does not allow the literal meaning, and Christ's words elsewhere verify this, we must interpret Mat 7 as a moral exaggeration, similar to hyperbole, meant to shock the hearer into proper inner movements of the heart, rather than just doing mere works of appearance to win human approval. Jesus doesn’t know such actions. If you consider the context of Mat 7, it is directed at such people.

mondar said:
If I have a dead horse, what chance is there that he will get up and plow my field? If I have a dead fish in my fish tank, do you think he will ever swim around in my fish tank again? A dead faith is meaningless, it does not produce salvation. This is why James says in the context....

Poorly-done analogy. According to your theology, the dead horse was never alive, the dead fish was never alive – thus, you cannot EXPECT that “horse†that never existed to do any plowing. Clearly, that is not the intent in James, because the preaching presumes the ability to act as if regenerate. He EXPECTS them to do good deeds, which means HE thought they were regenerate.

mondar said:
I can tell you what I am referring to by my term. I am speaking of the nature of faith. It is not the works that accompany the faith that save, but the faith itself. But, the nature of that faith, being a regenerate faith, it will have its fruits.

The nature of faith? There are a variety of qualifiers added to faith. One can have a dead faith or a living faith. Faith is not "regenerate faith" by nature!!! Thus, the Bible adds qualifiers. This is simple English grammar. If faith was "regenerate by nature", there would be no need to add the adjective "living" or "dead" to differentiate.

Paul also denies this in 1 Cor 13:2-3. Faith to move mountains (a heck of a lot of faith) is worthless, if it does not have something else. Thus, faith alone is dead, worthless and is not "regenerate by nature".

mondar said:
You are correct that I am saying the person never received the action of the HS, whereby he changes the nature of the rebel sinner, to have a nature in which he is no longer a slave of his sin nature, but capable, or even bent toward righteousness

This is amazingly ridiculous. James is telling unregenerate people without Christ that they need to have faith working in love - and without the means to do it, Jesus!!! So now, Mondar is Pelagian?? :shrug

This goes to the very beginning, where it appears you think men can do good deeds without Jesus, as you deny the force of John's citation on "without me you can do nothing (good). This appears to contradict the Council of Orange, which I thought you agreed with - vs Pelagianism.

mondar said:
Francis, you can't just pick a text and say "see, regeneration is not in this text, so you are not right." I recognize there are literally thousands of text regeneration is not mentioned. I will even admit regeneration is not mentioned in James 2. But that does not mean you established your point that the man in James 2 lost his salvation.

I never made the case that the men in James lost their salvation... I do not see any evidence that James is speaking to the unregenerate. That is YOUR assumption, which makes no sense.

It is up to you to prove otherwise, since it is widely accepted that the Apostles wrote letters to the communities of the elect, men who were regenerate, baptized, and were being saved for eternal life. Men who were being sanctified, which is only possible upon receiving the Spirit. No scholar that I am aware of claims that ANY NT writing was sent to a pagan community of unregenerate people - nor does the contents give us any clue - quite the reverse, that they WERE regenerate and more was expected...

Now, IF James was writing to unregenerated persons, imploring them to remember their Christian duties, it would seem a VAST contradiction to a number of Biblical ideas, such as "only by the power of the Spirit can I love. Since James is exhorting men to live up to their baptismal promises by commanding deferential treatment of the poor, it follows that they were baptized and were regenerate in the first place. James assumes that it IS possible for his audience!

mondar said:
You cannot prove he was ever saved. You only assume baptismal regeneration in James 2 and then assume he was saved. So then, you are reading your theology into the text. Now you pick a text (Galatians) and ask me to show regeneration in Galatians!

Again, nowhere do we have apostles writing to unregenerate communities. Every one of the communities that received these letters were for the church, a community of believers formed by God through His apostles and the elders appointed. To build up the Body, the Apostles occasionally wrote to THOSE communities, people who were already part of the elect, baptized already, and were EXPECTED to live the life of Christ. This living the life of Christ is NOT POSSIBLE without the assumption that they WERE regenerate!!!

Thus, your attempt to say that the communities were unregenerate leads you to the Pelagian viewpoint - that men can be unregenerate AND love men, give to the poor, do good deeds, have living faith and pray... This is why your view cannot stand. It is contradictory to Scriptures. James MUST have been speaking to the elect, the saved, the regenerate - albeit, members of the community with a CURRENLTLY dead faith (it does not follow that their faith was ALWAYS dead... That is your grand presumption…) It does not follow that being lukewarm today meant you were ALWAYS dead to Christ!!!

mondar said:
The issue is the word "us." You are suggesting that when the text says "out from us" it is referring to the leadership of the Church. In my view it is they went out from the Church itself, and the "us" is not referring directly to the leadership.

I understand your view, and I disagree with it, because the context does not support it, nor does Scriptures question whether someone was ever regenerated to begin with that requires such semantics from John. That entire thought process makes our initial salvation UNSURE. The Bible clearly states that we can KNOW.

These heretics were baptized, since John says they came from "us", they were part of the elect community. When a person is baptized, he has received the lather of regeneration, he is united with the dead and resurrection of Christ. There is no questioning whether it happened, Scriptures assert that the Spirit of God came. Now, if one later becomes a hypocritical heretic, that does not mean that the Spirit never came, but that He left, such as in Saul’s case.

Thus, when we see someone who has performed an evil act, we don't conclude "he never was saved to begin with". That throws your whole idea of eternal security out the window. In addition, it means you must be absolutely perfect in word and deed, otherwise, that "temporary sinfulness" can be taken, at the moment, as an indication that you were ALWAYS unregenerate. This world of confusion on whether one WAS saved is NOT the Biblical paradigm.

mondar said:
I think I am correct because of the context of the book. It is not addressed to the leadership of any Church, but to the "little children."

I think you misunderstand how letters were written and how they were disseminated. John didn't upload a letter onto his My Space account so others could read it as they chose. The letter was received by the elders of the community and then READ to the community, proclaimed. The term "little children" can equally be applied to "lower level" elders, as John is obviously not where his audience is located geographically.

mondar said:
So then, to be consistent, and when we see a 3ird person plural, we would have to read it as the "leadership of the Church." Then John is saying the Elders of the Church have their sins paid, and only the leadership has an advocate with the Father?

You accuse me of "jumping around" way above, and now this??? I think the use of different person pronouns are not equally applied across all chapters, as the actual wording of Christ making a statement about the ability of man to do anything without Him... The context will determine the use of the pronoun, not how John used it a chapter ago. It is not inconsistent to apply the word "us" to mean "the entire community" in one chapter, and then "us" to refer to elders in a different one...

Regards

watchman F said:
francisdesales, I read through page 3 of this thread and is sounds like you are calling Jesus a liar??????

You heard me wrong. I am saying that some people MISINTERPRET His Words without taking into consideration OTHER comments that the Christ made.

Or are you about to cut off your arms or pluck out your eyes???

Regards

watchman F said:
watchman F wrote:I am sorry you were convince by that heresy. I pray that God will reveal His truth to you before it is too late

[quote:231ol29n]But I meant it in the larger sense… Calvinism makes lots of people angry. It shocks me a bit – because Paul was pretty clear about it in his writing. Just read Ephesians 1:3-14. How else can a Christian interpret this passage, except to take it at face value? It is not complex and it is not at all veiled. I agree with Paul entirely. How could that be heresy?
Ephesians 1
13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

I dont see how this is supposed to support any of Calvin's teaching much less Predestination or OSAS[/quote:231ol29n]

Dude.... Ephesians, Chapter 1, verses 3 through 14:

3Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ. 4For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love 5he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will— 6to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves. 7In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace 8that he lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding. 9And he[d] made known to us the mystery of his will according to his good pleasure, which he purposed in Christ, 10to be put into effect when the times will have reached their fulfillment—to bring all things in heaven and on earth together under one head, even Christ.
11In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will, 12in order that we, who were the first to hope in Christ, might be for the praise of his glory. 13And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, 14who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God's possession—to the praise of his glory.

One does not have to examine this passage too closely to find the references to sovereign election and the assurance of salvation.

I agree with Paul. How could that be heresy? Predestination is not at all un-biblical or extra-biblical. You Arminians should really reign in your tongues. The vehenent anger of (many) Arminians toward election adherants is revealing, ugly and tiresome.

-HisSheep

francisdesales said:
watchman F said:
francisdesales, I read through page 3 of this thread and is sounds like you are calling Jesus a liar??????

You heard me wrong. I am saying that some people MISINTERPRET His Words without taking into consideration OTHER comments that the Christ made.

Regards
It is pretty hard to misinterpret a straight forward statement such as ''depart from me all who work iniquity, I never knew you''

watchman F said:
francisdesales said:

It is pretty hard to misinterpret a straight forward statement such as ''depart from me all who work iniquity, I never knew you''

But you still manage to do it... ;)

And I would like to know if there is anything more literal than "unless you eat my flesh and drink my blood...", repeated over and over, Amen, amen, yet that becomes a "metaphor only"? :shrug

Please. Let's be honest. ALL Scriptures are open to interpretation, even the ones that YOU decide are obvious... And Scriptures are used to interpret other Scriptures that may be questioned.

Now, as I told Mondar, the Bible in other sections does not allow the literal interpretation of Mat 7. Why? Because Jesus and Paul say that we cannot do good without the Spirit, without CHRIST abiding in us. So, how in the world are you going to explain all those good deeds done without Christ??? Are you about to preach Pelagianism to me, as well? I don't need God to do good works? Is THAT what you are teaching???

Christ is saying that "works of the law", external acts ALONE, are not worthy of the Kingdom. merely doing things without the inner heart does not bring one into the Kingdom, thus, just SAYING "Lord, Lord" is not enough. Thus, calling upon the Lord to witness our external deeds do not win us the Kingdom. Jesus clearly says that without Him, we can do nothing good. Thus, ANY good deed, during the ENTIRE life of said person, must have been at the prompting of the Spirit of God. Do you deny that?

Can we do good deeds without God?

Regards

Francisdesales is right on this point. All works done absent of faith count for nothing (regarding salvation). I don't always agree with a Catholic, but I like to point it out when I do. :)

Even though God uses all of the works of men to His benefit, only the ones done by God through His believers, in obedience to His will count at the judgement.

And that is NOT the judgement which determines salvation. Those who are truly believers will not be subjected to THAT judgement.

The Eucharist is another matter, however... but this isn't the place...

-HisSheep

HisSheep said:
Francisdesales is right on this point. All works done absent of faith count for nothing (regarding salvation). I don't always agree with a Catholic, but I like to point it out when I do. :)

Hey, that is good to hear that we can point to areas where we agree. It always seems the subject is how we are different, so it's nice to hear an area of agreement occasionally!

HisSheep said:
The Eucharist is another matter, however... but this isn't the place...

Mwah-hah-hah ... :P

Regards

francisdesales said:
Now, as I told Mondar, the Bible in other sections does not allow the literal interpretation of Mat 7.
Yes, and why did you not also quote my reply?

francisdesales said:
Why? Because Jesus and Paul say that we cannot do good without the Spirit, without CHRIST abiding in us.
While good works in the Christian life might be a synergism of Gods work, and our will, that is not what Matthew 7 is about. We were discussing falling from salvation. The comment is true, but non-sequitur. Again, there is no contextual proof that the person was ever saved. You must jump to a totally separate context and import concepts.

francisdesales said:
Christ is saying that "works of the law", external acts ALONE, are not worthy of the Kingdom. merely doing things without the inner heart does not bring one into the Kingdom, thus, just SAYING "Lord, Lord" is not enough.
There is no contextual reason to see the term "Lord Lord" as meaning the person ever had faith. And the only reason you do not take the statement "I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity" as hyperbole is because it does not fit your theology. You have presented no contextual reason to see it as a figure of speech, you merely jump to a totally separate context that is unrelated. That's not the way to do exegesis.

I can present all sorts of contextual things to demonstrate that the person Christ never knew was never saved.

ASV
Mat 7:16 By their fruits ye shall know them. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
Mat 7:17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but the corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
Mat 7:18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
Mat 7:19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
Mat 7:20 Therefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

This little unit of material immediately preceeds the context and is associated with it because both statements are referring to false prophets. In the passage above, there are book ends, "by their fruits ye shall know them. In the middle is this absolutist statement that the nature of the tree will determine the works of a tree. There are no mixed works, some good, some evil, as you suggest.

Then in verses 21-23, we have obvious connections.
Mat 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father who is in heaven.
Mat 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy by thy name, and by thy name cast out demons, and by thy name do many mighty works?

What was Christ talking about concerning works of evil? Calling him "Lord Lord" is not a righteous work that gives evidence the person was once saved, it is works of evil from the false prophets. In verse 22 these false prophets prophecy in the name of God, but these are the evil works of the false prophets.

So then, in verse 23, when Christ says "I never knew you," it is to be understood very literally. These false prophets were never saved, and never did the works of God. There were no mixed works, no evidence that they were ever saved. They only did evil works, and the reason was not that they were hypocrites, being once saved, then later falling away, but the tree was evil and produced evil fruits. The tree of the false teachers was not once good and became evil, it was simply evil, and Christ never ever knew them.

It is all connected in the context, and that is exegesis. Exegesis is not jumping all over the place in the bible to make the context say what you want.

francisdesales said:
Christ is saying that "works of the law", external acts ALONE, are not worthy of the Kingdom. merely doing things without the inner heart does not bring one into the Kingdom, thus, just SAYING "Lord, Lord" is not enough. Thus, calling upon the Lord to witness our external deeds do not win us the Kingdom. Jesus clearly says that without Him, we can do nothing good. Thus, ANY good deed, during the ENTIRE life of said person, must have been at the prompting of the Spirit of God. Do you deny that?

Can we do good deeds without God?

Regards
I don't think anyone is challenging that Christians can do good deeds without the Spirit of God. Hopefully that is not what Watchman is saying. Also, I notice you say that spirit filled deeds "win us the Kingdom." It is not the deeds that win the kingdom, but faith. This is where we look at the concept of "faith has its fruits" in a different way. You are looking at those spirit filled works as a part of salvation, right? I am looking at them as only the natural consequence of the salvation that already occurred.

mondar said:
francisdesales said:
Now, as I told Mondar, the Bible in other sections does not allow the literal interpretation of Mat 7.

Should I have? I presume people can go and read the entire discussion. Wasn't my post long enough without repeating more stuff?

mondar said:
While good works in the Christian life might be a synergism of Gods work, and our will, that is not what Matthew 7 is about. We were discussing falling from salvation.

No, we were discussing NEVER HAVING salvation - the unregenerate state, as a revisit to our previous posts will clearly show. The emphasis, by you, as that "Jesus never knew you", not that "Jesus says you lost salvation". Our discussions that moved to James also focuses on, according to you, never were regenerated in the first place - which I believe I thoroughly prove otherwise.

mondar said:
There is no contextual reason to see the term "Lord Lord" as meaning the person ever had faith.

Is it not true that the Bible says "no one can only say "Jesus is Lord" except by the power of the Spirit? Isn't it clear that Matthew is addressing the community of the saved THROUGH this selection of a Jesus' saying? Remember, Mondar, the Gospels are theological narratives, who select particular bits and pieces of the life of Christ FOR THE PURPOSE OF HIS AUDIENCE, THE SAVED! Thus, it is clear that the passage never discusses the entire person's walk, but just a part of it, the part where their walk turned to hypocrisy.

This also avoids the charge of Pelagianism, of course...

mondar said:
And the only reason you do not take the statement "I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity" as hyperbole is because it does not fit your theology.

A lame accusation...From the beginning, I have given you Scripture that disproves the literal meaning. Your adherence to it suggests (as well as the idea on James 2 that you have) YOU are the one who refuses to contemplate where your interpretation leads you - to Pelagianism.

I find it interesting that you totally ignore it.

mondar said:
You have presented no contextual reason to see it as a figure of speech, you merely jump to a totally separate context that is unrelated. That's not the way to do exegesis.

You are not serious! I think you will agree that we use the Bible to interpret the Bible, and so when the Bible says something about God, it applies EVERYWHERE, not just in the verses surrounding itself.. Thus, when we say "God is almighty", does that only apply to the verses that it is actually written??? Hardly, THAT is poor exegesis... The bible, making a statement such as "you can do no good without God" is repeated in other portions of Scriptures and is a fundamental belief of those of us who are NOT Pelagian... I thought Calvinists were clear on this - that we can do nothing good without God? Am I mistaken?

We don't just look at the immediate verses when doing exegesis. We also take into account the larger picture, the author (Matthew) and his audience, and a variety of factors that do not necessarily appear on the 5 verses surrounding the verss. We form a picture of God based on ALL of the Bible, and that data is PART of our interpretations of a specific verse. I think your means of exegesis will agree with that process.

mondar said:
I can present all sorts of contextual things to demonstrate that the person Christ never knew was never saved.

ASV
Mat 7:16 By their fruits ye shall know them. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
Mat 7:17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but the corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
Mat 7:18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
Mat 7:19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
Mat 7:20 Therefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

This little unit of material immediately preceeds the context and is associated with it because both statements are referring to false prophets. In the passage above, there are book ends, "by their fruits ye shall know them. In the middle is this absolutist statement that the nature of the tree will determine the works of a tree. There are no mixed works, some good, some evil, as you suggest.

Says nothing about when they first came to the faith. It only speaks about their CURRENT situation as a false prophet. Was not Simon the Magican baptized and saved, who received the Spirit? Yet, he was considered a heretic later in life... You are using your theology to PRESUME that if a person is a sinner, they must not have EVER been saved. False conclusion. 2 Peter gives a PERFECT example of a false prophet who was ONCE saved and returned to the vomit of his former unsaved life.

mondar said:
and by thy name cast out demons, and by thy name do many mighty works? [/color]
What was Christ talking about concerning works of evil? Calling him "Lord Lord" is not a righteous work that gives evidence the person was once saved, it is works of evil from the false prophets. In verse 22 these false prophets prophecy in the name of God, but these are the evil works of the false prophets.

Jesus elsewhere suggests otherwise, when the Apostles attempted to stop someone not of their group casting out demons in Jesus name!!! What does Jesus say to the Apostles again??? Care to cite it for everyone? Casting out demons is not an 'evil work'. That is another exaggeration.

Again, the Bible disapproves of your INTERPRETATION of Mat, and so we must not call Jesus a liar, but that He was exaggerating, which happenes to be the literary genre that Mat was using during this portion of his writing. Part of exegesis is identifying the literay genre of the author, so we don't get foolish and chop off our arms or pluck out our eyes, literally.

Regards

francisdesales said:
watchman F said:
francisdesales said:

But you still manage to do it... ;)
No you are calling Jesus a liar.

you can twist it around all you want went is all boils down you are still calling Jesus a liar.

watchman F said:
you can twist it around all you want went is all boils down you are still calling Jesus a liar.

I am not calling Jesus a liar. I am saying that the text is not to be interpreted literally, the same as we don't interpret "pluck out your eyes if it causes you to do evil". Try to be more consistent, since I am pretty sure you are not about to pluck out your eyes or chop off your arms...

francisdesales said:
mondar said:
You have presented no contextual reason to see it as a figure of speech, you merely jump to a totally separate context that is unrelated. That's not the way to do exegesis.

You are not serious! I think you will agree that we use the Bible to interpret the Bible, and so when the Bible says something about God, it applies EVERYWHERE, not just in the verses surrounding itself..
Yes, I am serious. I think what you are doing is not actually a method of exegesis. To determine of there is a figure of speech (non-literal language) within a context you do not look to truths in completely different books. I agree that you use scripture to interpret scripture, but that is not what you are doing. There are no rhetorical devices in the context of Matthew 7, that are non-literal. Non literal language is a genre related to parables, apocalyptic literature, places like "song of solomon" has simile. There are figures in some of the poetic language, but in this strait out didactic sermon on the mount, Jesus is not using non-literal language.

The difference is that in your theology, men can loose their salvation, so you must make Matthew 7 to be saying that Jesus once knew the false teachers, then did not know them, then maybe knew them again, then did not know them, and back and forth all based upon their works. Jesus is not saying I knew you several times, and now I dont know you. The text simply says he "never" knew them. How could that possibly be a figure of speech?

By the way, I do agree that scripture should interpret scripture, but what you are doing is not a proper application of that principle either. "Scripture interprets scripture" is not referring to taking certain passages non-literally because a statement is made that does not fit. It is not referring to figures of speech, it is referring to the fact that the theology of one passage cannot over rule the theology of another passage. What you are doing is the exact opposite.

francisdesales said:
The bible, making a statement such as "you can do no good without God" is repeated in other portions of Scriptures and is a fundamental belief of those of us who are NOT Pelagian... I thought Calvinists were clear on this - that we can do nothing good without God? Am I mistaken?
Of course Calvinists believe that the power of God working in man is the source of all good. But get that from context where it is the issue.

francisdesales said:
We don't just look at the immediate verses when doing exegesis.
When doing exegesis, at times we look at other places, but not to determine of a passage has non-literal figures of speech in them. Non-literal language is normally determined by the immediate context. There might be exceptions in Daniel and Revelation in the use of repeated apocalyptic figures of speech and language. However, the figures are then repeated. You have beasts in Daniel and Revelation that are similar. This is not the case in the two context we are discussing. Francis, you are not working with non-literal langauge, but you allegorizing the Matthew 7 context. There are clues in the immediate context when non-literal language is being used. When know when Jesus is speaking a parable, we know it, often the context outright states it. Sometimes when Jesus is teaching, he says "it is like." Obviously he is leading into a illustration that can have non-literal language in it. There is no evidence of a non-literal genre of language in this didactic section of scripture.

francisdesales said:
mondar said:
francisdesales said:

Should I have? I presume people can go and read the entire discussion. Wasn't my post long enough without repeating more stuff?

mondar said:
While good works in the Christian life might be a synergism of Gods work, and our will, that is not what Matthew 7 is about. We were discussing falling from salvation.

No, we were discussing NEVER HAVING salvation - the unregenerate state, as a revisit to our previous posts will clearly show. The emphasis, by you, as that "Jesus never knew you", not that "Jesus says you lost salvation". Our discussions that moved to James also focuses on, according to you, never were regenerated in the first place - which I believe I thoroughly prove otherwise.

mondar said:
There is no contextual reason to see the term "Lord Lord" as meaning the person ever had faith.

Is it not true that the Bible says "no one can only say "Jesus is Lord" except by the power of the Spirit? Isn't it clear that Matthew is addressing the community of the saved THROUGH this selection of a Jesus' saying? Remember, Mondar, the Gospels are theological narratives, who select particular bits and pieces of the life of Christ FOR THE PURPOSE OF HIS AUDIENCE, THE SAVED! Thus, it is clear that the passage never discusses the entire person's walk, but just a part of it, the part where their walk turned to hypocrisy.

Wow, there is so much vitriol in this thread. I hesitate to keep on with it. But here goes…

I think I agree with Mondar here. I take Matthew 7 (part of the Sermon on the Mount) to be an evangelistic announcement to the “worldâ€. That is… it is not solely for the believers. So, when Jesus says what He does in verses 21-23, I take it to mean just what it says: He NEVER knew them. He is saying, in effect, “A lot of people will profess to be Christians, and will do “good†works expecting to gain access as a result. But unless I am in them, they are not invited.â€

If Jesus is actually IN them, the works they do will actually be the “will of my Father who is in Heavenâ€, because God conforms the believer’s will to His own. Indeed, the very purpose of our salvation is to do good works under the direction of the Spirit. What’s more, the works themselves were predestined…

Ephesians 2:10
For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

This is why “good†works done of a man’s own will are not valuable to that man. Though the world may view the man’s works as “goodâ€, they are not God’s works – they are merely the man’s works. The works which God planned in advance will be done by God (indwelling Spirit) through His instruments. – His believers, whom He has chosen.

Yes, the Bible says no one can say “Jesus is Lord†except by the power of the Spirit. (1COR 12:3) I take this to mean (tell me what you think) that this addresses the genuineness/efficacy of a confession of faith. To me this says, “Only under the power of the Holy Spirit can you utter a true, meaningful confession of faith.â€

It certianly doesn't imply that a non-believer is incapable of uttering the words...

-HisSheep

mondar said:
Yes, I am serious. I think what you are doing is not actually a method of exegesis. To determine of there is a figure of speech (non-literal language) within a context you do not look to truths in completely different books. I agree that you use scripture to interpret scripture, but that is not what you are doing. There are no rhetorical devices in the context of Matthew 7, that are non-literal.

:lol

Really? Have you read Matthew 7 to verify that? I think not...

And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam [is] in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye. Mat 7:3-5

So tell me, Mondar, how many beams are you casting out of someone else's eye????

Have you seen someone with a beam in their eye before? How about yourself? Has someone offered to remove a beam from your eye???

More?

Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you. Mat 7:6

Now, who literally gives pearls to pigs??? Or giving church vessels or other holy things to dogs???

Mondar, is this taken literally? I am wondering which farmer might consider doing this...

Some more...?

Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. Mat 7:7-8

Now, is the "door" ALWAYS opened to the one who knocks? Do we ALWAYS get what WE ask for, Mondar??? Who would suggest that in prayer, I will always get what I envision?

How many people ask for a million bucks get it, Mondar???

And one more for you, as it is obvious that chapter 7 is FULL of non-literal and parabolic teachings...

Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. Mat 7:15

So, how many Arminians (nothing against them, but I think YOU would consider them false teachers) appear before you wearing a sheep as clothing??? Is THIS literal, as well, Mondar????

Thus, KNOWING FULL WELL the literary genre of this chapter, it is NO SURPRISE that "I never knew you" is another example of a non-literal comment, an exaggeration to express a teaching...

mondar said:
The difference is that in your theology, men can loose their salvation, so you must make Matthew 7 to be saying that Jesus once knew the false teachers, then did not know them, then maybe knew them again, then did not know them, and back and forth all based upon their works. Jesus is not saying I knew you several times, and now I dont know you. The text simply says he "never" knew them. How could that possibly be a figure of speech?

Gosh, I don't know, Mondar, how could "Amen, amen, unless you eat..." possibly be a figure of speech? but you somehow manage that one, though...

Clearly, Matthew 7 is FULL of non-literal teachings!!! A good exegesis would take that into consideration.

Your theology demands a priori that unless a person is perfect, their original salvation is in question. Thus, one is constantly wondering whether they were REALLY saved or not, whether they were REALLY regenerate or not. Because any lukewarm behavior would mean "Christ never knew you"... Sorry, that is illogical.

mondar said:
Of course Calvinists believe that the power of God working in man is the source of all good. But get that from context where it is the issue.

That is not how anyone, to include you, does theology. We don't go to ANY verse with a blank slate and no knowledge of God previously attained. For theology to be consistent, we must take into account ALL that the bible says, since it comes from one source, God. Thus, when the Scriptures state that a man can do nothing good without God, over and over, OT and NT, THAT is part of the mindset we use in approaching a verse like Mat 7, or any verse. That is HOW we are able to ascertain if a verse IS speaking literally or not. We read the literal, and discount it, if reading the literal disagrees with accepted understandings elsewhere - such as "man can do nothing good without God".

This is not a "Catholic-only" phenomenom. Calvinists do it, everyone does it. When YOU look at James 2, your protestant idea of sola fide forces you to REFUSE to accept the literal "one is not saved by faith alone" and take it to mean something different. If I was to truncate exegesis as you are, I would question YOUR understanding of not taking the literal!

Mondar, I've been around the block, and that is how all Christians operate. Thus, when we approach Scriptures, any Christian, part of the exegitical process is dependent upon our own religious paradigm, whether it is a universal one or a denominational one. I am pretty sure that in this case, my exegesis is dependent upon a universal paradigm, accepted by nearly all Christians - that man can do no good without God. ANOTHER is that faith is a gift from God, not generated by man. And finally, proclaiming "Lord, Lord" is an act of faith. Thus, other Scriptures and their understanding refute the literal in Matt 7. In addition, we can look at the obvious literary genre...

The proclamation "Lord, Lord" is an act of faith - a gift from God. Jesus, being God, participated in that gift giving to man "x", so literally, it is not possible for Jesus to "never have known them".

Other Scriptures, such as Revelation and the letter to the various saved Churches and peter's discussion of the false preachers who RETURNED to the vomit of their former lives, indicates that your paradigm that demands the literal is misplaced. In addition, you end up contradicting yourself, since blind acceptance makes you a Pelagian...

mondar said:
When doing exegesis, at times we look at other places, but not to determine of a passage has non-literal figures of speech in them. Non-literal language is normally determined by the immediate context.

Mondar, see above, I have thoroughly demonstrated that the context of Mat 7 is NOT literal...

Read it "again" before making your determination...

Regards

Back