Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Psychology - A Warning

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fear you could argue is the foundation of why we survive at all.
Babies are born cautious and easily scared, and need continual reassurance to grow and explore life and their surroundings.

One could say fear is the bottom line predication for all psychological good behaviour.

I have discovered when you start to talk about our perception, emotions and facts are mixed together.
It is impossible for us to separate the two, because the way we conclude anything is through our emotional conclusion once we have finished going through something.

Things get worse. We only know anything, is by going through a series of sentences and at the end agreeing that it is right. If we have a problem, we repeat the process until we find the issue. Our way of summarising this process is two emotions. One is being happy and content and the other is worried and wondering, maybe fearful.

To secure our sense of security, we talk about facts, certainty, things that cannot shift. But this underlines the reality, it is all perception and our emotional conclusions. Because of insecurity we exaggerate the certainty and definitively declare the facts are absolute.

I have met so many people who declare Jesus is all about facts, because to admit it is faith and perception, seems so weak and insecure, the fear must be avoided. Another group feel the salvation must be absolute, you are saved after grasping a few concepts of who Jesus is, because the idea that Jesus chooses and its a dynamic relationship is too insecure and fearful.

Now I am an evangelist and would argue Jesus and His gospel for His disciples and their life change to walk into a life which costs them their lives, founded on His resurrection, declares the resurrection happened. It is so conclusive, that until He rose, much of what Jesus taught about the heart and love did not make sense. After with the Holy Spirit, that which the world denies became real, the bond of brotherhood, the adoption of families, loving from the heart. God bless you

Peter, I am leaving the forum after this post. But you need to get a reality check. Your supposed sensitivity to emotional realities that give rise to your behavioural model of theology is utter heresy in spiritual terms. This OP was not intended to be a discussion of your theories or my theories. You have made it so. So now you can have it all to yourself. I am done.

The statement you quoted doesn't say what you have expressed. Behavioural predications can be many things - and fear is the chief amongst them. So is anger - see Cain and his response when his sacrifice was refused. We are taking about behavioural meanings and not pathological chemistry giving rise to mental health issues. Fear isn't a mental health issue until it is a persistent condition and then it is called anxiety as a learned behaviour with psychosomatic elements. Persistent anxiety is a mental health issue. Fear isn't. Neither is anger.
I am sad that you seem so frustrated in this discussion... people have worked very hard to share their beliefs here.
I am curious....you have stated that you have worked in this field since the 70's...

How is what you teach and counsel different to what one would receive from a Christian counsellor who has taken mainstream psychology courses?
Maybe that will shed some light on what you are trying to say.

I really have enjoyed most of this discussion... and by your own admittance... you made this thread with close to nil hope that you would be able to share your full heart on this matter... ( I am paraphrasing ).

For me what is confusing is your insistence on the definition of being naked... as though this holds the entire key to psychology if one would only clear their eyes to see. I am not seeing it.. and I am not being emotional... lol

You may be tired of me so don't feel like you have to address me... as I have already declared that my mind is rather simple... LOL

Peter, I am leaving the forum after this post. But you need to get a reality check. Your supposed sensitivity to emotional realities that give rise to your behavioural model of theology is utter heresy in spiritual terms. This OP was not intended to be a discussion of your theories or my theories. You have made it so. So now you can have it all to yourself. I am done.
That's it??? You're done??? What did you come here to achieve??

Why do you need a scholar to tell you what naked means when the bible tells you what naked means in one meaning of Genesis 2:25. And then in another sense of Genesis 3:7 what covering ones genitalia means? So similarly, how can asking a simple question about whether Adam was naked when he hid from God, on a thread that is self presented as having a concern for psychology in the churches not be also self evidently grounded in the reason Adam himself gave for why he hid - and his behaviour was to hide and his reason was because he was afraid because he was naked. Genesis 3:10.

How can any of that need either a theologian or an academic scholar to understand?
My point is that you are basing your whole argument on the fact that Adam and Eve weren’t completely naked when Adam replied to God. Yet, if no other scholar in Christian history agrees with your interpretation, then your interpretation is highly suspect. Perhaps the underlying text could be saying something slightly different. For example, when Adam said he was afraid because he was naked, it could have been a lingering fear of having been naked, so he hid. Perhaps it was because he knew he had to answer to God for having been naked. “Was” is past tense after all. Adam didn’t didn’t say, “I was afraid because I am naked, so I hid.”

And, yes, the same word could have a different meaning if it is used a chapter later. It could very well be that having never worn clothes before, Adam still felt the shock of being naked and still was relatively naked.

It happens in Scripture where what is “plainly” stated in English can actually be understood in more than one way due to the ambiguity of English, or there could be nuances in the original language which do not come through. There are also nuances in meaning for a given word based on context. But you know all this.

Good lord ,self reflection is a good thing .
We are emotional beings ,try being raped,killing lawful or watching one die or other trigger of PTSD and then can't grip why you are angry often and know it and can't stop it .
Pills help some but not all .I get that .

This is my battle . The weird crazy thoughts ,the lack of concern for danger in that if it's that bad ,on that moment I live and an whole .it's why cops commit crimes,fireman set fires . Vets the same .I went through it while reading meters in high crime areas and didn't get why it felt like overseas .I can't be involved with out abortion ministry as that triggered me.

I have a counselor who is saved and councils biblically. He tries to use other things then drugs but sometimes one can't .

A simple boom can set a vet off for hours

I am locking this thread for clean up and will consider to reopen it again. There are way to many violations of the ToS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back