Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Law and Grace

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
1. What does consecrated mean?
-The Spirit of God Taking up residence in the heart

2. Who does the consecrating?
-God

3. What are we protected against?
-spiritual death

4. Do believers sin just as they did previously...but they are now "protected"?
-No, once a person becomes an awakened believer, any sin will significantly distress & grieve the heart of the believer.
Their heart having the Holy Spirit in residence.
Very painful and yet transformative, ie: Peter, from denying the Lord to his powerful testimony on the day of Pentecost.
The result being the believer turning more and more away from sin and it's attached sorrow with each new day.
In addition God will exact Divine corrective punishment on the believer for their sin, and take them to the woodshed.
God does not whip the devil's children.
I agree totally with you -- except for the last sentence. Have you read the parable of the prodigal son? The message is clear: God welcomes a person who sins against Him but then turns in repentance. God will not extract "Divine corrective punishment" for sin, otherwise He would be denying the purpose of His Son's crucifixion. Jesus bore the punishment for all sin. Additionally, if a person is in Christ, they will never be "taken to the woodshed".

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke on you and learn from me, because I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and my load is not hard to carry.” Matthew 11:28-30

1. What does consecrated mean?
-The Spirit of God Taking up residence in the heart

2. Who does the consecrating?
-God

3. What are we protected against?
-spiritual death

4. Do believers sin just as they did previously...but they are now "protected"?
-No, once a person becomes an awakened believer, any sin will significantly distress & grieve the heart of the believer.
Their heart having the Holy Spirit in residence.
Very painful and yet transformative, ie: Peter, from denying the Lord to his powerful testimony on the day of Pentecost.
The result being the believer turning more and more away from sin and it's attached sorrow with each new day.
In addition God will exact Divine corrective punishment on the believer for their sin, and take them to the woodshed.
God does not whip the devil's children.
See CL
I do believe we agree.
I just would like to say that consecrated means the same as holy.
Holy means to be set apart....for service to God.

I fully agree with how you explained sinning and how we feel badly about it.

Also, I believe that the closer we get to God, the more we become aware of it.

As to who causes consecration,,,
It's God...ok

But is this totally monorgistic or do we take part.
Although salvation is totally from God, after that I believe in synergism.

Additionally, if a person is in Christ, they will never be "taken to the woodshed".

If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned. John 15:6

Jesus exhorted His disciples to remain “in Him”.

Here is how we are instructed to remain in Christ.

Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us. 1 John 3:24

JLB

What is your understanding of God's response to a child of His who continues in a particular sin and fails to repent ?

Moreover if your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault between you and him alone. If he hears you, you have gained your brother. But if he will not hear, take with you one or two more, that by the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.’ And if he refuses to hear them, tell it to the church. But if he refuses even to hear the church, let him be to you like a heathen and a tax collector. Matthew 18:15-17

• But if he refuses even to hear the church, let him be to you like a heathen and a tax collector.

Take heed to yourselves. If your brother sins against you, rebuke him; and if he repents, forgive him. Luke 17:3

JLB

Last edited:
If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned. John 15:6

Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us. 1 John 3:24

JLB
As I said, if a person is in Christ, they will never be "taken to the woodshed". Thank you for supporting my statement.

As I said, if a person is in Christ, they will never be "taken to the woodshed". Thank you for supporting my statement.

There is no such thing in the Bible as “taken to the woodshed”.

If you are in Christ, then you are saved.

If you are removed from Christ, because you don’t keep His commandments, which means you don’t obey Him, then you will be sent to hell.

And having been perfected, He became the author of eternal salvation to all who obey Him. Hebrews 5:9

Each of us must give heed to remaining in Christ.

Here is how we are instructed to do this.

JLB

There is no such thing in the Bible as “taken to the woodshed”.

If you are in Christ, then you are saved.

JLB
Being taken to the woodshed and corrected by God is evidence that you are his much loved child and have been received by Him.
If you have never been chasened by God for your deliberate sin then you are not His child.
Salvation has no relevance to God chasenting His much loved child.
You demonstrate a very confused understanding of God's purpose in chastening His children

Heb 12:6
For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.

Read the account of God's eternally SAVED child Moses being taken to the woodshed of Mount Nebo for his sin .
And whipped until he was dead.

Unchecked Copy Box
Deu 32:48

And the LORD spake unto Moses that selfsame day, saying,

Unchecked Copy Box
Deu 32:49
Get thee up into this mountain Abarim, unto mount Nebo, which is in the land of Moab, that is over against Jericho; and behold the land of Canaan, which I give unto the children of Israel for a possession:

Unchecked Copy Box
Deu 32:50
And die in the mount whither thou goest up.....

Unchecked Copy Box
Deu 32:51
Because ye trespassed against me among the children of Israel at the waters of Meribah-Kadesh, in the wilderness of Zin; because ye sanctified me not in the midst of the children of Israel.

Poor Moses if only he had you there to plead his case to God for him and remind God that He has no right to scourge poor Moses for his sin in that Mount Nebo woodshed until he was dead .

Good lookin out JLB

Reactions: JLB

JLB
So we agree! I said earlier that if a person is in Christ, they will never be "taken to the woodshed". Your selection from John 15 is a warning to those who don't abide in Christ. The second quote is changing the subject.

Being taken to the woodshed and corrected by God is evidence that you are his much loved child and have been received by Him.
If you have never been chasened by God for your deliberate sin then you are not His child.
Salvation has no relevance to God chasenting His much loved child.
You demonstrate a very confused understanding of God's purpose in chastening His children

Heb 12:6
For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.

Read the account of God's eternally SAVED child Moses being taken to the woodshed of Mount Nebo for his sin .
And whipped until he was dead.

Unchecked Copy Box
Deu 32:48

And the LORD spake unto Moses that selfsame day, saying,

Unchecked Copy Box
Get thee up into this mountain Abarim, unto mount Nebo, which is in the land of Moab, that is over against Jericho; and behold the land of Canaan, which I give unto the children of Israel for a possession:

Unchecked Copy Box

Unchecked Copy Box
Because ye trespassed against me among the children of Israel at the waters of Meribah-Kadesh, in the wilderness of Zin; because ye sanctified me not in the midst of the children of Israel.

Poor Moses if only he had you there to plead his case to God for him and remind God that He has no right to scourge poor Moses for his sin in that Mount Nebo woodshed until he was dead .

Good lookin out JLB

"Being taken to the woodshed and corrected by God is evidence that you are his much loved child and have been received by Him." Administering a beating is a sign of love???

I suggest that you read the parable of the prodigal son, which clearly shows God's attitude to those who repent. He welcomed the son, put his robe and ring on him, and created a feast in his honor. He didn't beat him! Surprise!

Luke 15:3-5 is yet another example of God's love: "So Jesus told them this parable: “Which one of you, if he has a hundred sheep and loses one of them, would not leave the ninety-nine in the open pasture and go look for the one that is lost until he finds it? Then when he has found it, he places it on his shoulders, rejoicing."

Would you re-write this parable to end like this? "Then when he has found it, he beats it with a stick for wandering off, thereby teaching it a lesson for straying".

Your selection from John 15 is a warning to those who don't abide in Christ.

My selection from John 15 is about those who are in Christ, and are exhorted by Him to remain in Him.

Jesus was teaching His disciples many principles that they would teach their disciples.

The context is Jesus teaching His disciples privately in the upper room during the Passover. Judas had left.

JLB

My selection from John 15 is about those who are in Christ, and are exhorted by Him to remain in Him.

Jesus was teaching His disciples many principles that they would teach their disciples.

The context is Jesus teaching His disciples privately in the upper room during the Passover. Judas had left.

JLB
As I wrote, your selection from John 15 is a warning to those who don't abide in Christ. (present tense, not future.)

John 15:5-8, “I am the vine; you are the branches. The one who remains [present tense] in me—and I in him—bears much fruit, because apart from me you can accomplish nothing. If anyone does not remain in me [present tense], he is thrown out like a branch, and dries up; and such branches are gathered up and thrown into the fire, and are burned up. If you remain [present tense] in me and my words remain [present tense] in you, ask whatever you want, and it will be done for you. My Father is honored by this, that you bear [present tense] much fruit and show [present tense] that you are my disciples.

As I wrote, your selection from John 15 is a warning to those who don't abide in Christ. (present tense, not future.)

John 15:5-8, “I am the vine; you are the branches. The one who remains [present tense] in me—and I in him—bears much fruit, because apart from me you can accomplish nothing. If anyone does not remain in me [present tense], he is thrown out like a branch, and dries up; and such branches are gathered up and thrown into the fire, and are burned up. If you remain [present tense] in me and my words remain [present tense] in you, ask whatever you want, and it will be done for you. My Father is honored by this, that you bear [present tense] much fruit and show [present tense] that you are my disciples.

Just the opposite.

Jesus is warning His Disciples, those who are in Him, to remain in Him.

Maybe you could explain how someone who is not in Christ, goes about remaining Him?

Only people who are in Him to begin with, can continue to remain in Him.

Surely you understand this.

Here is how we (Christians) are instructed to remain in Him --

JLB

Last edited:
"Being taken to the woodshed and corrected by God is evidence that you are his much loved child and have been received by Him." Administering a beating is a sign of love???
You don't believe God loves Moses ?
Do you think God made a mistake in punishing Moses for his willful disobedience ?
How can Moses, ( among other children of God), being taken to the woodshed of Mt. Nebo be explained ?

Unchecked Copy Box

Unchecked Copy Box

Unchecked Copy Box

Reactions: JLB
You don't believe God loves Moses ?
Do you think God made a mistake in punishing Moses for his willful disobedience ?
How can Moses, ( among other children of God), being taken to the woodshed of Mt. Nebo be explained ?

Unchecked Copy Box

Unchecked Copy Box

Unchecked Copy Box

though He was a Son, yet He learned obedience by the things which He suffered. And having been perfected, He became the author of eternal salvation to all who obey Him, Hebrews 5:8-9

JLB

Just the opposite.

Jesus is warning His Disciples, those who are in Him, to remain in Him.

Maybe you could explain how someone who is not in Christ, goes about remaining Him?

Only people who are in Him to begin with, can continue to remain in Him.

Surely you understand this.

Here is how we (Christians) are instructed to remain in Him --

JLB
Just the opposite.
Surely you don't understand this.

Back