Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The purpose of God according to election.

As I said, one sided conversation.

You expect me to answer your question, but but you will ignore mine or anything I post.

This is not glorifying God or productive.

Brother I have asked you three times to post the scripture AND context concerning your point about the elect.

I did for mine.

Now it’s your turn post scripture and context and ask me a question.

Do you believe born again Christian’s are born saved?

By the way, here is the question I asked and you have yet to answer it.

But that’s ok, please ask a question based on a scripture please.

JLB

But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love. For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins.
Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure, for if you do these things you will never stumble; for so an entrance will be supplied to you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. 2 Peter 1:5-11

• Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure,

• for if you do these things you will never stumble; for so an entrance will be supplied to you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love. For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins.
Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure, for if you do these things you will never stumble; for so an entrance will be supplied to you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. 2 Peter 1:5-11

• Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure,

• for if you do these things you will never stumble; for so an entrance will be supplied to you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
I like that "Never Stumble" part !

So who is Peter addressing? Jews? Gentiles? Both?

2 Peter 1:10 Therefore, brothers, be all the more diligent to make your calling and choosing sure; for in doing these things, you will never stumble;

What is this calling and choosing (election) Peter is talking about?

Verse 11 tells us it is salvation.

2 Peter 1:11 for in this way the entrance into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ will be abundantly supplied to you.

You have many times said election is not salvation.

In these verses election (calling and choosing) is a synonym for salvation.

Direct Terminology

1. Election.
Election emphasizes God’s free choice of individuals to salvation (the election of Christ, Israel, or angels are not under consideration here). When Paul uses the verb, he uses it in the middle voice, indicating that God’s choice was made freely and for His own purposes (1 Cor. 1:27–28; Eph. 1:4). Individual Thessalonians were chosen (2 Thess. 2:13); as many as were set (previous to their believing) in the group of those who would have eternal life did believe (Acts 13:48); Paul was a chosen instrument (for salvation and service, Acts 9:15; Gal. 1:15); and some individuals’ names were not written in the Book of Life from the foundation of the world (Rev. 13:8; 17:8), which must mean some were. Election is unconditional and individual.

God’s elect in this age have not been chosen from the spectacular people of this world (1 Cor. 1:27–28; James 2:5). They were chosen before the foundation of the world (Eph. 1:4), and because they are elect they are to live godly lives (Col. 3:12; 2 Pet. 1:10).

2. Predestination.
To predestine is to preplan a destiny. The word proorizō means to mark off beforehand. The death of Christ and its meaning were predestined by God (Acts 4:28; 1 Cor. 2:7). God’s elect are predestined to adoption (Eph. 1:5), to an inheritance (v. 11), and to ultimate conformity to Christ (Rom. 8:28–29).

Biblically, predestination is limited to the elect people and assures their present position and future destiny. Theologically, the term has been used to include all things, that is, as a synonym for the total plan of God. From this theological definition it is an easy step for some forms of Calvinism to use predestination in relation to the destiny of the nonelect. Thus there arises a doctrine of double predestination. However, this is a logical assumption, not based on biblical texts. The Bible is clear that the elect are predestined, but it never suggests that there is a similar decree to elect some to damnation. The Scriptures seem content to leave that matter as a mystery, and so should we.

3. Foreknowledge.
The word proginoskō is used (a) of prior, temporal knowledge (Acts 26:5; 2 Pet. 3:17); (b) of God’s relation to Israel (Rom. 11:2); (c) of Christ’s sacrifice (Acts 2:23; 1 Pet. 1:20); and (d) of God’s people today (Rom. 8:29; 1 Pet. 1:2).

[1]Ryrie, C. C. (1999). Basic theology : A popular systemic guide to understanding biblical truth (360).

So who is Peter addressing? Jews? Gentiles? Both?

Christians.

Simon Peter, a bondservant and apostle of Jesus Christ,
To those who have obtained like precious faith with us by the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ:

Direct Terminology

1. Election.
Election emphasizes God’s free choice of individuals to salvation (the election of Christ, Israel, or angels are not under consideration here). When Paul uses the verb, he uses it in the middle voice, indicating that God’s choice was made freely and for His own purposes (1 Cor. 1:27–28; Eph. 1:4). Individual Thessalonians were chosen (2 Thess. 2:13); as many as were set (previous to their believing) in the group of those who would have eternal life did believe (Acts 13:48); Paul was a chosen instrument (for salvation and service, Acts 9:15; Gal. 1:15); and some individuals’ names were not written in the Book of Life from the foundation of the world (Rev. 13:8; 17:8), which must mean some were. Election is unconditional and individual.

God’s elect in this age have not been chosen from the spectacular people of this world (1 Cor. 1:27–28; James 2:5). They were chosen before the foundation of the world (Eph. 1:4), and because they are elect they are to live godly lives (Col. 3:12; 2 Pet. 1:10).

2. Predestination.
To predestine is to preplan a destiny. The word proorizō means to mark off beforehand. The death of Christ and its meaning were predestined by God (Acts 4:28; 1 Cor. 2:7). God’s elect are predestined to adoption (Eph. 1:5), to an inheritance (v. 11), and to ultimate conformity to Christ (Rom. 8:28–29).

Biblically, predestination is limited to the elect people and assures their present position and future destiny. Theologically, the term has been used to include all things, that is, as a synonym for the total plan of God. From this theological definition it is an easy step for some forms of Calvinism to use predestination in relation to the destiny of the nonelect. Thus there arises a doctrine of double predestination. However, this is a logical assumption, not based on biblical texts. The Bible is clear that the elect are predestined, but it never suggests that there is a similar decree to elect some to damnation. The Scriptures seem content to leave that matter as a mystery, and so should we.

3. Foreknowledge.
The word proginoskō is used (a) of prior, temporal knowledge (Acts 26:5; 2 Pet. 3:17); (b) of God’s relation to Israel (Rom. 11:2); (c) of Christ’s sacrifice (Acts 2:23; 1 Pet. 1:20); and (d) of God’s people today (Rom. 8:29; 1 Pet. 1:2).

[1]Ryrie, C. C. (1999). Basic theology : A popular systemic guide to understanding biblical truth (360).

Brother, let’s stick to scripture please.

Christians.

Simon Peter, a bondservant and apostle of Jesus Christ,
To those who have obtained like precious faith with us by the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ:
So Christians are the elect of God, not just Israel.

Christians are God's chosen (elect) people.

2 Peter 1:10 Therefore, brethren, be all the more diligent to make certain about His calling and choosing you; for as long as you practice these things, you will never stumble;
2 Peter 1:11 for in this way the entrance into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ will be abundantly supplied to you.

So Christians are the elect of God, not just Israel.

As I said before, Jesus Christ is the “Elect One”.

“Behold! My Servant whom I uphold,
My Elect One in whom My soul delights!
I have put My Spirit upon Him;
He will bring forth justice to the Gentiles.
Isaiah 42:1

Those who are “in Him” are the elect.

How does a person become “in Christ”.

They believe. They make the choice to believe in Him.

• whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
John 3:16

The elect, are in need of salvation.

Therefore I endure all things for the sake of the elect, that they also may obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory.
2 Timothy 2:10

Was Saul born again, before he encountered Jesus Christ on the road to Damascus?

JLB

As I said before, Jesus Christ is the “Elect One”.

“Behold! My Servant whom I uphold,
My Elect One in whom My soul delights!
I have put My Spirit upon Him;
He will bring forth justice to the Gentiles.
Isaiah 42:1

Those who are “in Him” are the elect.

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Therefore I endure all things for the sake of the elect, that they also may obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory.
2 Timothy 2:10

Was Saul born again, before he encountered Jesus Christ on the road to Damascus?

JLB
2 Peter says Christians are God's elect.

Christians are God's chosen (elect) people for salvation.

2 Peter 1:10 Therefore, brethren, be all the more diligent to make certain about His calling and choosing you; for as long as you practice these things, you will never stumble;

KJV
2 Peter 1:10 Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:
2 Peter 1:11 For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

2 Peter says Christians are God's elect.

KJV
2 Peter 1:10 Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:
2 Peter 1:11 For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

Brother, do you even read my posts?

Those who are “in Him” are the elect. He is The Elect One.

This is a false statement.

A Christian is a person who was lost, then they chose to believe the Gospel of Jesus Christ and became saved.

A Christian is a person who was lost, then they chose to believe the Gospel of Jesus Christ and became saved.
So 2 peter is wrong in your eyes.

2Pe 1:10 Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:
2Pe 1:11 For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

You do not understand the doctrine of election.

The elect (Christians) are chosen to be saved before the foundations of the world (predestined).

Ephesians 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ,
Ephesians 1:4 just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we would be holy and blameless before Him in love,
Ephesians 1:5 by predestining us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will,

God chose us, we did not choose Him. Human pride says we chose God.

Ephesians 1:4 just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we would be holy and blameless before Him in love,
Ephesians 1:5 by predestining us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will,

So 2 peter is wrong in your eyes.

Again.

A Christian is someone who was lost and then became saved through believing in Jesus Christ and His message of salvation.

Do you agree or disagree?

Was Saul of Tarsus saved before he met Jesus on the road to Damascus?

God chose us, we did not choose Him. Human pride says we chose God.

just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love, Ephesians 1:4

He chose us that we should be holy and without blame.

Pursue peace with all people, and holiness, without which no one will see the Lord:
Hebrews 12:14

Again.

A Christian is someone who was lost and then became saved through believing in Jesus Christ and His message of salvation.

Do you agree or disagree?

Was Saul of Tarsus saved before he met Jesus on the road to Damascus?
You completely ignore the Biblical doctrine of election.

I have referenced several Scriptures which you deny and theological articles on this important truth.

Fruitless conversation.

You do not understand the doctrine of election.

I do not agree with Calvinism.

I agree with predestination and election in their biblical contextual format.

Do you believe Saul of Tarsus was saved before He met Christ on the road to Damascus?

Back