Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Three person God identified in the Bible?

Where is the three person God identified in the Bible?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 Timothy 3:16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

2 Peter 1:1.. Our God and Saviour Jesus Christ:

Colossians 1:16 For by him (Jesus) were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

Hebrews 1:8 But of the Son, he says, “Thy throne, O God, is forever and ever, the righteous sceptre is the sceptre of thy kingdom.

Colossians 1:19 For in him (Jesus) all the fulness of God was pleased to dwell,

Colossians 2:2-3... Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. He’s omniscient all-knowing:

Colossians 2:9 For in him the whole fulness of deity dwells bodily,

Hebrews 1:8 But of the Son, he says, “Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever, the righteous sceptre is the sceptre of thy kingdom.”

Hebrews 13:8 Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and today, and forever.

John 10:30 I and the Father are one.

Philippians 3:20-21... the Lord Jesus Christ, [21] who will change our lowly body to be like his glorious body, by the power which enables him even to subject all things to himself.

Revelation 19:16 And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name is written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.

Rom_6:11 So you also must consider yourselves dead to sin and alive to God in Christ Jesus.

Romans 9:5 Whose are the fathers, and of whom as concerning the flesh Christ came, who is over all, God blessed for ever. Amen.

Titus 2:13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;
Most Bibles at 1 Timothy 3:16 that I have read say, "he was manifest in the Flesh," not God was manifest.
Also the scripture says at John 1:18- "No man has seen God at any time; the only-begotten god who is at the Father’s side is the one who has explained Him.
So are you trying to tell me that John 1:18 is lying? Because anytime means anytime. So we have seen Jesus Christ so since the scriptures say that no man has seen God at anytime that's what I'm going to believe. So Jesus couldn't be God because men did see Jesus Christ.

At 2 Peter 1:1 we have two nouns connected by the Greek word kai (and) the first noun being preceded by the definite article and the second noun without the definite article. This indicates that when two distinct persons are connected by kai if the first person is preceded by the definite article it is not necessary to repeat the definite article before the second person. We know this because at 2 Peter 1:2 a clear distinction is made between God and Jesus.
Examples of this construction in the Greek text are found at Titus 2:13 Acts 3:50; 15:22; Ephesians 5:5; 2 Thessalonians 1:12; 1 Timothy 5:21; 6:13; 2 Timothy 4:1.
So 2 Peter 1:1 doesn't say Jesus is God

Most Bibles at 1 Timothy 3:16 that I have read say, "he was manifest in the Flesh," not God was manifest.
Also the scripture says at John 1:18- "No man has seen God at any time; the only-begotten god who is at the Father’s side is the one who has explained Him.
So are you trying to tell me that John 1:18 is lying? Because anytime means anytime. So we have seen Jesus Christ so since the scriptures say that no man has seen God at anytime that's what I'm going to believe. So Jesus couldn't be God because men did see Jesus Christ.

At 2 Peter 1:1 we have two nouns connected by the Greek word kai (and) the first noun being preceded by the definite article and the second noun without the definite article. This indicates that when two distinct persons are connected by kai if the first person is preceded by the definite article it is not necessary to repeat the definite article before the second person. We know this because at 2 Peter 1:2 a clear distinction is made between God and Jesus.
Examples of this construction in the Greek text are found at Titus 2:13 Acts 3:50; 15:22; Ephesians 5:5; 2 Thessalonians 1:12; 1 Timothy 5:21; 6:13; 2 Timothy 4:1.
So 2 Peter 1:1 doesn't say Jesus is God
It says what it says. I am not going to argue.
2 Peter 1:1
(AFV) Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to those who have obtained the same precious faith as ours by the righteousness of our God and Savior, Jesus Christ:

(BBE) Simon Peter, a servant and Apostle of Jesus Christ, to those who with us have a part in the same holy faith in the righteousness of our God and Saviour Jesus Christ:

(CEV) From Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ. To everyone who shares with us in the privilege of believing that our God and Savior Jesus Christ will do what is just and fair.

(ESV) Simeon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who have obtained a faith of equal standing with ours by the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ:

(ISV) From: Simeon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus, the Messiah. To: Those who have received faith that is as valuable as ours through the righteousness of our God and Savior, Jesus the Messiah.

(NKJV) Simon Peter, a bondservant and apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who have obtained like precious faith with us by the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ:

(NLT) This letter is from Simon Peter, a slave and apostle of Jesus Christ. I am writing to you who share the same precious faith we have. This faith was given to you because of the justice and fairness of Jesus Christ, our God and Savior.

(NRSV) Simeon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who have received a faith as precious as ours through the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ:

(WEB) Simon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, to those who have obtained a like precious faith with us in the righteousness of our God and Savior, Jesus Christ:

More false information from you.

All these verses coincide perfectly.
2 Thess. 2:10-11
Hosea 4:6, 14
Jer. 9:6
Prov. 1:29
2 Tim. 2:15

I can't make you understand things.
Of course you refuse to post scripture, just scripture addresses.

Here we see that these three are one.

For there are three that bear witness in heaven: the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit; and these three are one.
1 John 5:7

Your theory teaches this one is three.

:nono

1 Timothy 3:16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

Colossians 1:16 For by him (Jesus) were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

Hebrews 1:8 But of the Son, he says, “Thy throne, O God, is forever and ever, the righteous sceptre is the sceptre of thy kingdom.

Colossians 2:2-3... Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. He’s omniscient all-knowing:

Hebrews 1:8 But of the Son, he says, “Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever, the righteous sceptre is the sceptre of thy kingdom.”

Philippians 3:20-21... the Lord Jesus Christ, [21] who will change our lowly body to be like his glorious body, by the power which enables him even to subject all things to himself.

Revelation 19:16 And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name is written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.

Rom_6:11 So you also must consider yourselves dead to sin and alive to God in Christ Jesus.

Romans 9:5 Whose are the fathers, and of whom as concerning the flesh Christ came, who is over all, God blessed for ever. Amen.

Titus 2:13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;
The thing about Colossians 1:16 is that most people don't want to acknowledge that the Greek word panta is there, the translation of panta is, "all other." If the Greek word pas was there I would agree it should say Jesus created all things. But the fact that Colossians 1:15 shows that Jesus belongs to creation, I believe Colossians 1:16 is saying that through Jesus all other things were created.

When it comes to Hebrews 1:8
First, we should note the context. In many translations, either in the main text or in the margin, Hebrews 1:9 reads, “God, your God, anointed you.” This makes it clear that the one addressed in verse eight is not God, but one who worships God and is anointed by him.

Secondly, it should be noted that Hebrews 1:8, 9 is a quotation from Psalm 45:6, 7, which originally was addressed to a human king of Israel. I didn't believe the writer of this psalm thought that this human king was Almighty God and neither did the writer of Hebrews think that Jesus was Almighty God. Commenting on this, scholar B. F. Westcott said: “It is scarcely possible that אלוהים [‘Elo·himʹ, “God”] in the original can be addressed to the king. . . . Thus on the whole it seems best to adopt in the first clause the rendering: God is Thy throne (or, Thy throne is God), that is ‘Thy kingdom is founded upon God.’”

So no I don't believe Hebrews 1:8 is saying Jesus is God.

Concerning Colossians 1:19 it says, "because God was pleased to have all fullness to dwell in him(Jesus). So this scripture is saying,
the fullness of “divinity” that dwells in Christ is his as a result of a decision made by his Father who is God. Having such “fullness” does not make Christ the same person as Almighty God. This fact the apostle Paul makes clear when he said at Colossians 3:1 that Jesus Christ was “seated at the right hand of God.”

Add Jude 25 to that list.

"To the only wise God our Savior, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen." (KJV)
Jude 1:25

Where in scripture does it say Jesus is God. You will find no scripture written that says Jesus is God. You keep asking me for scripture that proves this and that but you won't give me a scripture that proves that God inspired men to write down Jesus is God.
John chapter one

At John 10:30 Jesus wasn't saying that he and God were the same person. Right in the context of the verses after John 10:30, Jesus forcefully argued that his words were not a claim to be God. He asked the Jews who wrongly drew that conclusion and wanted to stone him: “Why do you charge me with blasphemy because I, consecrated and sent into the world by the Father, said, ‘I am God’s son’?” (John 10:31-36) So no, Jesus didn't claim that he was God but he said he was the Son of God.

Revelation 19:16 The only begotten Son of God has proved to be far, far mightier than any earthly ruler, any human king or lord. His dignity and splendor are transcendent. He has ridden “in the cause of truth and humility and righteousness” and has triumphed for all time! Upon his blood-sprinkled garments is written the name bestowed on him by the Sovereign Lord YHWH, whose Vindicator Jesus is!
So no Jesus isn't God but he is king of kings and lord of lords because YHWH God has bestowed this upon his only begotten Son because his only begotten Son has proved to be far mighter than any earthly ruler, any human king or lord.

Jesus is all those.

Christ is All and in All (Colossians 3:11)​

That has absolutely nothing to do with the nature of God, but rather how we treat each other, especially those different from us:

Col 3:11 Here there is not Greek and Jew, circumcised and uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave, free; but Christ is all, and in all. (ESV)

It says what it says. I am not going to argue.
2 Peter 1:1
(AFV) Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to those who have obtained the same precious faith as ours by the righteousness of our God and Savior, Jesus Christ:

(BBE) Simon Peter, a servant and Apostle of Jesus Christ, to those who with us have a part in the same holy faith in the righteousness of our God and Saviour Jesus Christ:

(CEV) From Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ. To everyone who shares with us in the privilege of believing that our God and Savior Jesus Christ will do what is just and fair.

(ESV) Simeon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who have obtained a faith of equal standing with ours by the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ:

(ISV) From: Simeon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus, the Messiah. To: Those who have received faith that is as valuable as ours through the righteousness of our God and Savior, Jesus the Messiah.

(NKJV) Simon Peter, a bondservant and apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who have obtained like precious faith with us by the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ:

(NLT) This letter is from Simon Peter, a slave and apostle of Jesus Christ. I am writing to you who share the same precious faith we have. This faith was given to you because of the justice and fairness of Jesus Christ, our God and Savior.

(NRSV) Simeon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who have received a faith as precious as ours through the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ:

(WEB) Simon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, to those who have obtained a like precious faith with us in the righteousness of our God and Savior, Jesus Christ:[/QUOTE\] I'm not going to argue either but nothing you have said proves from the scriptures that Jesus is God. I'm going to search the scriptures and do research and if you choose to disagree with what I believe that's your choice.

Even the modern version that this site uses for that verse reads God was manifested in the flesh.

Hover your cursor over this:
1 Timothy 3:16
New International Version; New Living Translstion; English Standard Version; American Standard version and New American Standard Bible; English Revised Version; International Standard Version; New Revised Standard Version; and many more use the word, "he."

John 1:1-18. It's mentioned explicitly twice (depending on the version, at least once) and implied twice.
What I see first is it should be noted that the text itself shows that the Word was "with God,” so could not be God, that is, be the Almighty God. Also I note that John 1:2 would be unnecessary if John 1:1 actually showed the Word to be God.
Also, the word for “god” (theos) in its second occurrence in the verse is significantly without the definite article “the” (ho).

Regarding this fact, Ernst Haenchen, in a commentary on the Gospel of John (chapters 1-6) stated: “theos and ho theos (‘god, divine’ and ‘the God’) were not the same thing in this period. . . . In fact, for the . . . Evangelist, only the Father was ‘God’ (ho theos; John 17:3); ‘the Son’ was subordinate to him (John 14:28). But that is only hinted at in this passage because here the emphasis is on the proximity of the one to the other . . . . It was quite possible in Jewish and Christian monotheism to speak of divine beings that existed alongside and under God but were not identical with him. Philippians 2:6-10 proves that. In that passage Paul depicts just such a divine being, who later became man in Jesus Christ . . . So, in both Philippians and John 1:1 it is not a matter of a dialectical relationship between two-in-one, but of a personal union of two entities.”(John 1, translated by R. W. Funk, 1984, pp. 109, 110)

Ernst Haenchen goes on to state: “In this instance, the verb ‘was’ ([en]) simply expresses predication. And the predicate noun must accordingly be more carefully observed: theos is not the same thing as ho theos ‘divine’ is not the same thing as ‘God.” (pp. 110, 111) Elaborating on this point, Philip B. Harner brought out that the grammatical construction in John 1:1 involves an anarthrous predicate, that is, a predicate noun without the definite article “the,” preceding the verb, which construction is primarily qualitative in meaning and indicates that “the logos has the nature of theos.” He further stated: “In John 1:1 I think that the qualitative force of the predicate is so prominent that the noun theos cannot be regarded as definite.” (Journal of Biblical Literature, 1973, pp. 85, 87) Other translators, also recognizing that the Greek term has qualitative force and describes the nature of the Word, therefore render the phrase: “the Word was divine.”Such as, The Bible an American Translation(1935, J. M. Powis Smith and Edgar J. Goodspeed); The Authentic New Testament (1958 Hugh J. Schonfield); A New Translation of the Bible (1934, James Moffatt).

What I see first is it should be noted that the text itself shows that the Word was "with God,” so could not be God, that is, be the Almighty God.
That would be begging the question. There is nothing in the context to indicate that would be the case and, in fact, everything to indicate that the Word is God.

Also I note that John 1:2 would be unnecessary if John 1:1 actually showed the Word to be God.
John 1:2 just repeats the first part of John 1:1 (1:1a).

Also, the word for “god” (theos) in its second occurrence in the verse is significantly without the definite article “the” (ho).

Regarding this fact, Ernst Haenchen, in a commentary on the Gospel of John (chapters 1-6) stated: “theos and ho theos (‘god, divine’ and ‘the God’) were not the same thing in this period. . . . In fact, for the . . . Evangelist, only the Father was ‘God’ (ho theos; John 17:3); ‘the Son’ was subordinate to him (John 14:28). But that is only hinted at in this passage because here the emphasis is on the proximity of the one to the other . . . . It was quite possible in Jewish and Christian monotheism to speak of divine beings that existed alongside and under God but were not identical with him. Philippians 2:6-10 proves that. In that passage Paul depicts just such a divine being, who later became man in Jesus Christ . . . So, in both Philippians and John 1:1 it is not a matter of a dialectical relationship between two-in-one, but of a personal union of two entities.”(John 1, translated by R. W. Funk, 1984, pp. 109, 110)

Ernst Haenchen goes on to state: “In this instance, the verb ‘was’ ([en]) simply expresses predication. And the predicate noun must accordingly be more carefully observed: theos is not the same thing as ho theos ‘divine’ is not the same thing as ‘God.” (pp. 110, 111) Elaborating on this point, Philip B. Harner brought out that the grammatical construction in John 1:1 involves an anarthrous predicate, that is, a predicate noun without the definite article “the,” preceding the verb, which construction is primarily qualitative in meaning and indicates that “the logos has the nature of theos.” He further stated: “In John 1:1 I think that the qualitative force of the predicate is so prominent that the noun theos cannot be regarded as definite.” (Journal of Biblical Literature, 1973, pp. 85, 87) Other translators, also recognizing that the Greek term has qualitative force and describes the nature of the Word, therefore render the phrase: “the Word was divine.”Such as, The Bible an American Translation(1935, J. M. Powis Smith and Edgar J. Goodspeed); The Authentic New Testament (1958 Hugh J. Schonfield); A New Translation of the Bible (1934, James Moffatt).
R. W. Funk as a source? You might want to rethink that one. Anyway, yes, it is significant that the article is missing in the second occurrence of theos. John had to do this, as including it would have equated "God" with "Word," meaning they would be one and the same, interchangeable.

We must begin at the beginning. There is only one being that is God; there are no beings between God and man that are truly gods. That would be polytheism or Gnosticism and certainly not a Christian idea. Christianity has always been monotheistic:

Deu 4:35 To you it was shown, that you might know that the LORD is God; there is no other besides him.

Deu 6:4 "Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one.

Deu 32:39 "'See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god beside me; I kill and I make alive; I wound and I heal; and there is none that can deliver out of my hand. (ESV)

Isa 43:10 "You are my witnesses," declares the LORD, "and my servant whom I have chosen, that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor shall there be any after me.

Isa 43:11 I, I am the LORD, and besides me there is no savior.

Isa 44:6 Thus says the LORD, the King of Israel and his Redeemer, the LORD of hosts: "I am the first and I am the last; besides me there is no god.

Isa 44:8 Fear not, nor be afraid; have I not told you from of old and declared it? And you are my witnesses! Is there a God besides me? There is no Rock; I know not any."

Isa 44:24 Thus says the LORD, your Redeemer, who formed you from the womb: "I am the LORD, who made all things, who alone stretched out the heavens, who spread out the earth by myself,

Isa 45:5 I am the LORD, and there is no other, besides me there is no God; I equip you, though you do not know me,

Isa 45:6 that people may know, from the rising of the sun and from the west, that there is none besides me; I am the LORD, and there is no other.

Isa 45:18 For thus says the LORD, who created the heavens (he is God!), who formed the earth and made it (he established it; he did not create it empty, he formed it to be inhabited!): "I am the LORD, and there is no other.

Isa 45:21 Declare and present your case; let them take counsel together! Who told this long ago? Who declared it of old? Was it not I, the LORD? And there is no other god besides me, a righteous God and a Savior; there is none besides me.

Isa 45:22 "Turn to me and be saved, all the ends of the earth! For I am God, and there is no other.

Isa 46:9 remember the former things of old; for I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me,

Isa 48:12 "Listen to me, O Jacob, and Israel, whom I called! I am he; I am the first, and I am the last.

Isa 48:13 My hand laid the foundation of the earth, and my right hand spread out the heavens; when I call to them, they stand forth together.

(All ESV)

Context determines meaning. This is especially important to keep in mind when we speak of Jesus, as words or phrases (Son of God, for example) have a different meaning when applied to him than when applied to others. The whole point of John’s prologue (1:1-18) is to state who the Word is. So, let's look a bit more closely at 1:1.

Joh 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. (ESV)

The word "was" is the Greek en, which is a form of eimi (I Am), and denotes a continuous action in the past. That is, when the beginning began (creation), the Word was already in existence; it is absolute existence, eternal preexistence. This is then confirmed by 1:2.

Then when we look at "with God," it is the Greek pros that is translated as "with." But that doesn't convey the full meaning; it isn't merely speaking of being together or near. It expresses “direction towards,” as in relationship and communion, implying intimacy.

"Was God" means that the Word was divine in nature. It can never mean "a god" or another "God," as both imply polytheism. Again, this is about the logos, who the logos is, not who God is.

Even apart from the Greek, if logos is simply spoken words, then none of John 1:1 makes sense, but the Greek makes it all the more clear. It is very difficult to see how spoken words could have existed for eternity past or how they can be said to be in intimate relationship with God or how they can be said to be divine in nature. Only God has existed for eternity past, only a person could be in intimate relationship with another, and only God is divine in nature.

Then we have this supporting verse:

Joh 1:3 All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made. (ESV)

Firstly, there is a very simple flow of logic here. If "all things were made through" the Word, and "without him was not any thing made that was made," then if necessarily follows that the Word cannot be something that was ever made, or that entire verse is false. This is in complete agreement with Col 1:16. Both are exhaustive assertions--not one thing came into being without the Word (Christ). (Even the NWT surprisingly gets John 1:3 right, contradicting its false translation in Col 1:16-17.) This verse precludes the Word from being something that was made, from being something that at one point did not exist. The only logical conclusion is that the Word has always existed.

Secondly, "were made," is the Greek egeneto and refers to "coming into existence." This is an action in time. John is contrasting that with en, "was," in 1:1. It is important to note that en is used only of the Word in the first 13 verses of John 1 and egeneto of everything else and not the Word. This is significant because in verse 14 we see egeneto used of the Word--"And the Word became flesh."

There is only one logical conclusion from just the first three verses of John 1--the Word is fully and truly God, who has existed for eternity past, in intimate relationship and communion with (at least) the Father, and was involved in the creation of everything that has ever come into existence.

At John 10:30 Jesus wasn't saying that he and God were the same person. Right in the context of the verses after John 10:30, Jesus forcefully argued that his words were not a claim to be God. He asked the Jews who wrongly drew that conclusion and wanted to stone him: “Why do you charge me with blasphemy because I, consecrated and sent into the world by the Father, said, ‘I am God’s son’?” (John 10:31-36) So no, Jesus didn't claim that he was God but he said he was the Son of God.

Revelation 19:16 The only begotten Son of God has proved to be far, far mightier than any earthly ruler, any human king or lord. His dignity and splendor are transcendent. He has ridden “in the cause of truth and humility and righteousness” and has triumphed for all time! Upon his blood-sprinkled garments is written the name bestowed on him by the Sovereign Lord YHWH, whose Vindicator Jesus is!
So no Jesus isn't God but he is king of kings and lord of lords because YHWH God has bestowed this upon his only begotten Son because his only begotten Son has proved to be far mighter than any earthly ruler, any human king or lord.
How much power and authority does the Father have?

How much does Jesus have?

That has absolutely nothing to do with the nature of God, but rather how we treat each other, especially those different from us:

Col 3:11 Here there is not Greek and Jew, circumcised and uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave, free; but Christ is all, and in all. (ESV)
Romans 11:33-36 says the same thing in more words and it is most definitely speaking of the nature of God.

If it says the same thing about God that it does about Christ, Col. 3:11 is not speaking of "how we treat each other."

The Bible is continuing its theme about the characteristics of God, which are identical in Christ.

Son and Father, as you are portraying them, can be very similar, but not identical.

Son and Father, as the Bible portrays them, are identical - because they are one and the same.

Jesus in the Old Testament

2 Sam. 7 He is the offspring of David whose kingdom has been established forever

Dan. 7 He is the Son of Man whom the Ancient of Days gives all dominion, and glory, and a kingdom, and that all peoples, nations, and languages should serve him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion

Exod. 16 He is the true bread from heaven that actually nourishes and feeds his people .

Exod. 17 He is the Rock from whom the only life-giving water flows .

Exod. 23:10-12 He is the One through whom we enter into our lasting Sabbath rest, not just for one day out of seven, but for every day from now through all eternity (Exod. 23:10-12).

Exod. 28-29 He is our great High Priest who offers his very body as an atonement for the sins of his people (Exod. 28-29).

Exod. 40:34-38 He is the radiance of God, the exact representation of his being, and is the very presence and glory of God among his people, even more than the ark or the pillars of cloud and fire.

Ezek. 37 He brings life to dead men’s bones; by his Spirit he causes breath to come where death had reigned .

Gen. 49:8-12 He is the son of Judah, who reigns eternally as king, whose garments are washed in the blood of grapes, and whose hand is on the neck of his enemies .

Habakkuk 1:12 Art thou not from everlasting, O LORD my God, mine Holy One? we shall not die. O LORD, thou hast ordained them for judgment; and, O mighty God, thou hast established them for correction.

He is the very wisdom of God made manifest in the flesh (Proverbs).

Isaiah 42:8 I am the LORD, that is My name, And My glory I will not give to another, Nor My praise to carved images. (Isaiah 42:8 NKJV)

Isaiah 43 He is Israel’s only savior and besides him there is no other .

Isaiah 43:11 I, even I, am the LORD, And besides Me, there is no saviour. (Isaiah 43:11 NKJV)

Isaiah 44:8 Do not fear, nor be afraid; Have I not told you from that time, and declared it? You are My witnesses. Is there a God besides Me? Indeed there is no other Rock; I know not one.' "(Isaiah 44:8 NKJV)

Isaiah 53 He was despised and rejected by men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief. He was oppressed and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth; like a lamb that is led to the slaughter, and like a sheep before its shearers is silent, so he opened not his mouth. He is the one who bore our griefs and carried our sorrows. He was wounded for our transgressions; he was crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace, and with his stripes, we were healed.

Isaiah 61.He is anointed by the Lord to preach good news to the poor, to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prisons to those who are bound. He proclaims the year of the Lord’s favor, and the day of vengeance of our God; and he comforts all who mourn

Isaiah 65 He creates the new heavens and the new earth and he will dwell with his people there forever.

Isaiah 7 He is the sign to Ahaz, one named Immanuel and born to a virgin

Isaiah 9 He is the great light shining to a people walking in darkness, coming out of Galilee of the nations; He is the child born who is called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government and peace there will be no end, and on the throne of David and over his kingdom, he will establish and uphold it with justice and with righteousness from this time forth and forevermore .

Jer. 8. He is the balm in Gilead that heals the sin-sick soul; he is the great physician who restores the health of his people

Job 19:25 He is Job’s hope and ours because we know that our Redeemer lives and at the last, he will stand upon the earth.

Joel 2 He brings the Day of the Lord, which will be a day of great terror and judgment for all who do not know him, but everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved (Joel 2).

Joshua 3.He leads his redeemed people into the Promised Land where they will dwell with him forever .

Joshua 5 He is our conquering warrior, victorious over the powers of sin and death (Joshua 5).

Judges 2.He is the righteous judge and savior who never fails to defend and protect his people when they repent and turn back to him (Judges 2).

Lam. 3 He is the very manifestation of the never-ceasing steadfast love of God. His mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; for great is his faithfulness (Lam. 3).

Mal. 4 He is the sun of righteousness, who will rise with healing in his wings, and as a result of what he has done, we, like calves, will go out leaping from our stalls

Micah 5 He is the ruler from Bethlehem Ephrathah, whose origin is of old, from ancient days

Num. 21 He is like the bronze serpent that was lifted up and when people look to him in faith, they find forgiveness and healing.

Num. 24:17 He is the star that shall come out of Jacob, and the sceptre that comes out of Israel.

Num. 34 He is a city of refuge for guilty sinners to run into and find shelter.

Proverbs He is the very wisdom of God made manifest in the flesh.

Psa 68:18 Thou hast ascended on high, thou hast led captivity captive: thou hast received gifts for men; yea, for the rebellious also, that the LORD God might dwell among them.

Psalm 119 He is the Word of God incarnate, and the only lamp for our path.

Revelation 5:5 Jesus is the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David.

Song of Songs 2 Jesus is the Rose of Sharon and the Lily of the Valley, and he is the husband who brings his beloved to the banqueting table and who satisfies her fully in his love.

Zech. 9 He arrived as king in Jerusalem righteous and having salvation, yet he was humble and mounted on a donkey, on a colt, the foal of a donkey

Last edited:
Romans 11:33-36 says the same thing in more words and it is most definitely speaking of the nature of God.
Rom 11:33 Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways!
Rom 11:34 “For who has known the mind of the Lord, or who has been his counselor?”
Rom 11:35 “Or who has given a gift to him that he might be repaid?”
Rom 11:36 For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be glory forever. Amen. (ESV)

This says the same thing as what?

Col. 3:11 is not speaking of "how we treat each other."
Yes, it certainly is. Context is king:

Col 3:8 But now you must put them all away: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and obscene talk from your mouth.
Col 3:9 Do not lie to one another, seeing that you have put off the old self with its practices
Col 3:10 and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge after the image of its creator.
Col 3:11 Here there is not Greek and Jew, circumcised and uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave, free; but Christ is all, and in all.
Col 3:12 Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience,
Col 3:13 bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive.
Col 3:14 And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony. (ESV)

It's about proper Christian behaviour, particularly towards other believers, on the basis that we "have put on the new self." The whole point of 3:11 is that every believer, from every tribe and walk of life, belongs to Christ, and that is why we are to do all the other things Paul says to do.

This is the very same that he said in Galatians:

Gal 3:27 For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
Gal 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. (ESV)

Gal 5:6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision counts for anything, but only faith working through love. (ESV)

The Bible is continuing its theme about the characteristics of God, which are identical in Christ.
Sure, the characteristics of the Father are the same as in Christ, except that the Father is the Father and Jesus is the Son. One of the problems for you though, is that your God is an incomplete God who needed to create in order to love. As such, he cannot be said to be love, and John is then lying in 1 John 4:8, 16, and God isn't truly God.

Son and Father, as you are portraying them, can be very similar, but not identical.
In what sense do you mean "identical"? They are both fully and truly God, yet a son is never his own father nor a father his own son, even when it comes to God.

Son and Father, as the Bible portrays them, are identical - because they are one and the same.
As I have repeatedly pointed out, they are continually made distinct from each other, and simply cannot be the same person without doing violence to much of the text of the NT.

I’ll be removing the discussion on hell to a different topic when I get the chance. Let’s try to keep this on the topic of the Trinity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back