Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

Three person God identified in the Bible?

Where is the three person God identified in the Bible?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This sentiment is also placing human limitations, and rules of modern psychology, on an unlimited Spirit Being.
No, it is not. It is using the logic and language of God that he has given us as beings made in his image. This is why C. S. Lewis was correct in saying that nonsense is still nonsense even when it is said of God. Your response actually implies that man alone wrote the Bible and used human figures of speech to try and describe God, which is completely backwards.

Again, just as it is logically impossible that the Father is his own Son, it is logically impossible that God could be love itself, as John states, without anyone else to love prior to creation.

The irony is, of course, that your idea of God is more simplistic and therefore more limiting than the Trinitarian one.

The doctrine states the Father is NOT the Son, the Son is NOT the Holy Spirit, the Holy Spirit is NOT the Father, and each one is GOD.
There is only one God, one substance. Do not leave out that part and so misrepresent what the doctrine states and mislead by setting up a straw man.

Such conception has to do with the "body" not the Spirit and that doesn't take away from a Jesus in heaven at the right hand of the Father. Jesus still speaks of the Father in the book of revelation as another. His God, His Father, Sat down on His "Father's" throne. They are not the same person.
It makes us very different than Jesus was the point.

How many thrones are ever mentioned?

How many kings are ever mentioned?

When Jesus is mentioned as King of Kings and Lord of Lords, what happened to the Father? Where is the Spirit?

When Jesus is given all power and authority in all of heaven and earth in Matt. 28:18, what happened to the Father and the Spirit? They've had none for the past 2,000 years?

There is only one God, one substance. Do not leave out that part and so misrepresent what the doctrine states and mislead by setting up a straw man.
One God who cannot be divided is right. One God who is NOT Father, is NOT Son, is NOT Holy Spirit is wrong.

One God who cannot be divided is right. One God who is NOT Father, is NOT Son, is NOT Holy Spirit is wrong.
The doctrine of the Trinity fully affirms one God who cannot be divided. I agree that "One God who is NOT Father, is NOT Son, is NOT Holy Spirit is wrong." That would mean there would have to be another God. The doctrine of the Trinity is that there is one being who is God, consisting of three coequal, co-eternal persons, namely, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

The doctrine of the Trinity fully affirms one God who cannot be divided. I agree that "One God who is NOT Father, is NOT Son, is NOT Holy Spirit is wrong." That would mean there would have to be another God. The doctrine of the Trinity is that there is one being who is God, consisting of three coequal, co-eternal persons, namely, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
Have you looked at the Trinitarian diagram recently?

No, it is not. It is using the logic and language of God that he has given us as beings made in his image. This is why C. S. Lewis was correct in saying that nonsense is still nonsense even when it is said of God. Your response actually implies that man alone wrote the Bible and used human figures of speech to try and describe God, which is completely backwards.
No, that's not correct.

My comment was an assessment of your comment, not of the Bible.
Again, just as it is logically impossible that the Father is his own Son, it is logically impossible that God could be love itself, as John states, without anyone else to love prior to creation.
No, it is not impossible for God to be love unless He is multiple persons. God is the Source of all things. He is also Life and Truth and other things as well that don't rely on Him being multiple persons.
The irony is, of course, that your idea of God is more simplistic and therefore more limiting than the Trinitarian one.
Truth is often simple.

I don't see how it is limiting. God can be and do more than we can imagine. He fills the heaven and earth. (Jer. 23:24) He can be the Father in heaven, the Spirit coming down and the Son receiving - all simultaneously while ultimately being one person. That's not limiting.

All false doctrine divides and diminishes God and His Word.

Sound doctrine does the opposite - it points directly at God; holds Him up to be seen and glorified and puts glory square onto God, without any division or diminishing of Him or His glory in the least - giving Him all the glory that He so richly deserves.

Between Oneness and trinity, which fits which description best?

Can we accurately refer to the trinity as a he/him?

I would think many would agree it can only be referred to as an it.

Of course. What it does not say is "One God who is NOT Father, is NOT Son, is NOT Holy Spirit."
The Son is NOT the Father, the Father is NOT the Holy Spirit, the Holy Spirit is NOT the Son.

Three distinct persons, with each person being God is polytheism.

No, that's not correct.

My comment was an assessment of your comment, not of the Bible.
I know. I was addressing your assessment of my comment.

No, it is not impossible for God to be love unless He is multiple persons. God is the Source of all things. He is also Life and Truth and other things as well that don't rely on Him being multiple persons.
You're missing the entire thrust of the argument. Love can be love of oneself or love (action) towards others. Love towards others is the highest form of love.

Even Jesus said, "Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends" (John 15:13, ESV).

So, it stands to reason that since God is love itself, it necessarily follows that he must have always had an object of that love. If he is a monad, there is no object, and he cannot be said to be love. However, if he is "biune" or triune, then an eternal relationship exists where love has existed for eternity. Only then, can we truly say that "God is love" and it communicates something to us.

Truth is often simple.
And, yet, God is unlimited, as you said. God is not simple.

I don't see how it is limiting. God can be and do more than we can imagine. He fills the heaven and earth. (Jer. 23:24) He can be the Father in heaven, the Spirit coming down and the Son receiving - all simultaneously while ultimately being one person. That's not limiting.
It's limiting how he has existed for eternity. It doesn't allow for the infinite complexity of how God has existed for eternity past as three coequal, co-eternal persons. It's making God fit within a framework you can understand, rather than realizing and accepting that God is incomprehensible, apart from what he has revealed.

All false doctrine divides and diminishes God and His Word.

Sound doctrine points directly at God, holds Him up to be seen and glorified and puts glory square onto God, without any division or diminishing of Him or His glory in the least - giving Him all the glory that He so richly deserves.
Okay, I agree with that completely.

Between Oneness and trinity, which fits which description best?
Trinity, by far. Even for the more basic reasons that the Father and Son relationship is completely understandable and communicates something to us, and that God has existed for eternity past in a loving communion of three persons.

Can we accurately refer to the trinity as a he/him?
Of course. That is how he reveals himself most often, is it not?

I would think many would agree it can only be referred to as an it.
No, we only refer to the Trinity as he because that is how God has revealed himself. Just because it is fully incomprehensible doesn't mean the Trinity is an it. God is not an inanimate object.

The Son is NOT the Father, the Father is NOT the Holy Spirit, the Holy Spirit is NOT the Son.
Correct.

Three distinct persons, with each person being God is polytheism.
No. That is a caricature of the Trinity, a straw man. One indivisible essence, one nature, that is God, with each person being truly and fully God, since they are all of the one essence. If it wasn't so, then it would take all three to make the one God and God would be divisible. It's difficult and incomprehensible, but God is infinite and we are not, so we must go by all he has revealed of himself in Scripture. The doctrine of the Trinity best takes all into account.

Correct.

No. That is a caricature of the Trinity, a straw man. One indivisible essence, one nature, that is God, with each person being truly and fully God, since they are all of the one essence. If it wasn't so, then it would take all three to make the one God and God would be divisible. It's difficult and incomprehensible, but God is infinite and we are not, so we must go by all he has revealed of himself in Scripture. The doctrine of the Trinity best takes all into account.
There is ONE omnipresent creator God in heaven, on earth, and in our hearts.

He is our Saviour, Heavenly Father, Healer, Baptiser, and Coming King.

Leave it at that.

There is ONE omnipresent creator God in heaven, on earth, and in our hearts.

He is our Saviour, Heavenly Father, Healer, Baptiser, and Coming King.

Leave it at that.
None of that disagrees with the Trinity.

It makes us very different than Jesus was the point.

How many thrones are ever mentioned?

How many kings are ever mentioned?

When Jesus is mentioned as King of Kings and Lord of Lords, what happened to the Father? Where is the Spirit?

When Jesus is given all power and authority in all of heaven and earth in Matt. 28:18, what happened to the Father and the Spirit? They've had none for the past 2,000 years?
For he “has put everything under his feet.” Now when it says that “everything” has been put under him, it is clear that this does not include God himself, who put everything under Christ.

The Father is not under Christ and clearly the one who gave is not the one who received. Two people.

Right hand in Hebrew means 'most powerful.' That is who Jesus is.
Really then who is the mighty one?

The high priest said to him, “I charge you under oath by the living God: Tell us if you are the Messiah, the Son of God.”
64 “You have said so,” Jesus replied. “But I say to all of you: From now on you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven

This testimony was written in Greek.

Really then who is the mighty one?

The high priest said to him, “I charge you under oath by the living God: Tell us if you are the Messiah, the Son of God.”
64 “You have said so,” Jesus replied. “But I say to all of you: From now on you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven

This testimony was written in Greek.
Who will we see coming on the clouds of heaven, you ask? We shall see Jesus of course.

What is the Father doing? According to Trinitarism the Father is doing nothing. He cannot because he is not the Son, and it is the Son who does everything.

I always thought God was ALL-IN-ALL. 1 Corinthians 15:28 and what the Son does the Father does, and what the Father does the Son does. The Bible tells us so. They are ONE. The Father made visible in Jesus.

But I was wrong, because apparently each person is God but they are not one, they are three Gods. Each God is not the other God.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back