Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

Three person God identified in the Bible?

Where is the three person God identified in the Bible?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Not really. God is spirit (John 4:24) and Jesus said that "a spirit does not have flesh and bones" (Luke 24:39). There are many ways in which we are created in God's image, but our bodies are not one of them." (Free. Post #566)

Conclusion: Jesus is not "God with us."

A constant theme and a denial of Christ's divinity.

Colossians 2:9 ESV For in him the whole fullness of deity dwells bodily,
The resurrected "body" is not flesh and blood. We don't know about that body but we were told we will be like Jesus.

In revelation the one on the throne handed the lamb a scroll. God is depicted in the past as seen sitting on a throne His "hair" was white.

Moses wanted to see God but was told no one could see His "face" and live. Moses was allowed to see Gods backside.
In Daniel the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven is lead into the presence of the Ancient of days who is sitting on a throne.

God has been described as one having the figure of a man. Not surprising as God made man after His own likeness.

Clearly a body in the order of Spirit and not a carbon based life form. Though in regard to man the spirit is life and the flesh counts for nothing.

The Father is living in the Son doing His work. 2 persons united in one Deity. How then can you state Jesus was not God with us? He and the Father are One. In these last days "God" has spoken to us by His Son. Jesus testified to the witness of Him performing the "Fathers works" that testify that the Father is in Him and they are one.

You told me to go back over what you had posted. See #569.
I know. So, once again, simply posting things like that doesn't help anything. What do you think these things say? Why did I post them? I don't see what those have to do with the post you quoted.

"Not really. God is spirit (John 4:24) and Jesus said that "a spirit does not have flesh and bones" (Luke 24:39). There are many ways in which we are created in God's image, but our bodies are not one of them." (Free. Post #566)

Conclusion: Jesus is not "God with us."

A constant theme and a denial of Christ's divinity.

Colossians 2:9 ESV For in him the whole fullness of deity dwells bodily,
You’ve somehow taken what I said and gotten it completely backwards. There is simply no way to take “there are many ways in which we are created in God’s image, but our bodies are not one of them,” and from that conclude that ‘Jesus is not “God with us.”’

The verse you provide gives a hint as to where you err, as it supports, in part, what I said. More importantly, so does Phil 2:5-8:

Php 2:5 Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus,
Php 2:6 who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped,
Php 2:7 but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men.
Php 2:8 And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. (ESV)

In other words, Jesus’s body is made in our likeness; our bodies are not made in his likeness. He took on human form, having been in form of God prior to that.

There simply is not a single thing I have stated about my position, Trinitarianism, that can be understood as a denial of the deity Jesus. I really don’t how you can come to the conclusion that I have.

Then the LORD appeared to him by the terebinth trees of Mamre, as he was sitting in the tent door in the heat of the day.
Genesis 18:1

This was Jesus, the LORD God who appeared to many in the Old Testament.

No one has seen God at any time. The only begotten Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, He has declared Him.
John 1:18

As we see from the context, God in this verse refers to God the Father.

JLB

Father and Son-not the same person but clearly one Deity. Hebrews 1-About the Son not Son of Man. And if Jesus is not the Father's Son then whose Son is He? The resurrected Jesus still calls the one on the throne His Father. And Jesus is the same yesterday, today and forever.

If God created through Him how could they be the same person?

Jesus, the Son, came not to do His will but the will of the one He calls His Father and His God. (Two persons)
Therefore, when Christ came into the world, he said:
“Sacrifice and offering you did not desire,
but a body you prepared for me;
6with burnt offerings and sin offerings
you were not pleased.
Then I said, ‘Here I am—it is written about me in the scroll—
I have come to do your will, my God

(Two persons)
Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.”

The Christ is forever.
Two persons
The seventh angel sounded his trumpet, and there were loud voices in heaven, which said: “The kingdom of the world has become the kingdom of our Lord and of his Messiah, and he will reign for ever and ever.”

Then the LORD appeared to him by the terebinth trees of Mamre, as he was sitting in the tent door in the heat of the day.
Genesis 18:1

This was Jesus, the LORD God who appeared to many in the Old Testament.

No one has seen God at any time. The only begotten Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, He has declared Him.
John 1:18

As we see from the context, God in this verse refers to God the Father.

JLB
God is infinite so he can’t have a finite body but there were times in the Bible when God appeared in a physical body in order to be seen by men in a form which they could see without danger to themselves. Because God said, “No man can see me and live” (Exodus 33:20), He chose at certain times to reveal Himself in human form. These occurrences are called theophanies (Genesis 12:7-9; 18:1-33; 32:22-30). Every theophany wherein God takes on human form foreshadows the incarnation, where God took the form of a man to live among us as Emmanuel, “God with us” (Matthew 1:23). The Angel of The Lord is a theophany and you are correct these appearances could be the pre-incarnate Christ.

You’ve somehow taken what I said and gotten it completely backwards. There is simply no way to take “there are many ways in which we are created in God’s image, but our bodies are not one of them,” and from that conclude that ‘Jesus is not “God with us.”’

The verse you provide gives a hint as to where you err, as it supports, in part, what I said. More importantly, so does Phil 2:5-8:

Php 2:5 Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus,
Php 2:6 who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped,
Php 2:7 but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men.
Php 2:8 And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. (ESV)

In other words, Jesus’s body is made in our likeness; our bodies are not made in his likeness. He took on human form, having been in form of God prior to that.

There simply is not a single thing I have stated about my position, Trinitarianism, that can be understood as a denial of the deity Jesus. I really don’t how you can come to the conclusion that I have.
In post 583 I quoted you, quoting from Luke and John, and somehow it got credited to me, so do not blame me for what you wrote. End of.

Now, start from the beginning and prove if you can that Jesus, aka the Word, was not the creator, and never existed before Abraham. Remember, Jesus appeared to Abraham thousands of years before he was born of Mary. So, you have the impossible task of providing proof that Jesus is not the ancient of days, and he never existed as the I AM in the Old Testament before the foundation of the earth.

Last edited:
In post 583 I quoted you, quoting from Luke and John, and somehow it got credited to me, so do not blame me for what you wrote. End of.
No, you didn't get credited with what I posted. I was addressing your response to what I had posted.

I initially stated: "There are many ways in which we are created in God’s image, but our bodies are not one of them.”

You then quoted that to JLB in post #580, and then wrote:

'Conclusion: Jesus is not "God with us."

A constant theme and a denial of Christ's divinity.'

My response to that, in post #583, was addressing what you wrote. My clear point is that not only does your conclusion not follow from what I said, I have repeatedly and unequivocally stated that Jesus is God--the Son of God; God the Son--in human flesh. There is simply no way to take anything I have ever said in this thread and understand it as a denial of Jesus's deity.

Now, start from the beginning and prove if you can that Jesus, aka the Word, was not the creator, and never existed before Abraham. Remember, Jesus appeared to Abraham thousands of years before he was born of Mary. So, you have the impossible task of providing proof that Jesus is not the ancient of days, and he never existed as the I AM in the Old Testament before the foundation of the earth.
No offense, but you are really not following this discussion well at all. I have not once denied any of that. I don't even know how you can possibly think that I have ever stated that Jesus was not the creator or never existed before Abraham, or that he is not the I Am.

For one, I believe that the doctrine of the Trinity best takes into account all that God reveals of himself in Scripture, and have stated that several times. By definition, then, I believe that Jesus is truly God, just that he isn't the Father. For another, I have clearly stated that the Word was involved in creation (posts #475, #541, for example) and that the Word, the Son, has always existed, and that Jesus claimed to be the I Am. I have posted evidence in support of those things throughout this thread.

This is why I asked you to go back and reread everything I have posted, because you are making arguments to things which are the exact opposite of what I have been stating.

No, you didn't get credited with what I posted. I was addressing your response to what I had posted.

I initially stated: "There are many ways in which we are created in God’s image, but our bodies are not one of them.”

You then quoted that to JLB in post #580, and then wrote:

'Conclusion: Jesus is not "God with us."

A constant theme and a denial of Christ's divinity.'

My response to that, in post #583, was addressing what you wrote. My clear point is that not only does your conclusion not follow from what I said, I have repeatedly and unequivocally stated that Jesus is God--the Son of God; God the Son--in human flesh. There is simply no way to take anything I have ever said in this thread and understand it as a denial of Jesus's deity.

No offense, but you are really not following this discussion well at all. I have not once denied any of that. I don't even know how you can possibly think that I have ever stated that Jesus was not the creator or never existed before Abraham, or that he is not the I Am.

For one, I believe that the doctrine of the Trinity best takes into account all that God reveals of himself in Scripture, and have stated that several times. By definition, then, I believe that Jesus is truly God, just that he isn't the Father. For another, I have clearly stated that the Word was involved in creation (posts #475, #541, for example) and that the Word, the Son, has always existed, and that Jesus claimed to be the I Am. I have posted evidence in support of those things throughout this thread.

This is why I asked you to go back and reread everything I have posted, because you are making arguments to things which are the exact opposite of what I have been stating.
I am not going to argue. Let it drop. The problem is with the Trinity diagram. We know and agree, there is One God, in heaven, on earth and in our hearts. That is good and true. Then some people spoil the truth and divide the one God into three, when we know that the one God, who is active in three realms, cannot be divided.

Last edited:
I am not going to argue. Let it drop. The problem is with the Trinity diagram. We know and agree, there is One God, in heaven, on earth and in our hearts. That is good and true. Then some people spoil the truth and divide the one God into three, when we know that the one God, who is active in three realms, cannot be divided.
The Trinity diagram is correct in that it affirms what God reveals of himself in Scripture. It does not suggest that God can be divided.

The Trinity diagram is correct in that it affirms what God reveals of himself in Scripture. It does not suggest that God can be divided.
It divides. God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit make three gods.

One God in three realms is better.

One omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient God in heaven, on earth and in our hearts is better still.

Last edited:
It divides. God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit make three.
To me it is silly to reduce the concept of the Trinity to a simplistic diagram. Both you and Free are way beyond this in your theology.

It divides. God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit make three gods.
No, not three gods. As I and others have stated numerous times, it's one God, three persons. Anything else is a straw man.

One God in three realms is better.

God in heaven, on earth and in our hearts is better still.
No, because that doesn't actually explain the nature of God.

No, not three gods. As I and others have stated numerous times, it's one God, three persons. Anything else is a straw man.

No, because that doesn't actually explain the nature of God.

The negative word NOT is the bugbear. Read post 591 again. It explains the nature of the omnipresent, etc, etc God perfectly.

How do I put you on ignore?

Last edited:
The word NOT is the bugbear. Read post 591 again.

Repost: To me it is silly to reduce the concept of the Trinity to a simplistic diagram. Both you and Free are way beyond this in your theology.

The negative word NOT is the bugbear.
"Not" is necessary because the Father is not the Son nor the Holy Spirit, nor is the Son the Holy Spirit, yet there is only one God. That is what Scripture shows.

Read post 591 again. It explains the nature of the omnipresent, etc, etc God perfectly.
But that isn't what we're talking about. We're talking about whether or not God has always existed as three distinct, coequal, co-eternal persons. One God in three realms doesn't even address that.

You can't. You'll just have to ignore me by sheer willpower.

"Not" is necessary because the Father is not the Son nor the Holy Spirit, nor is the Son the Holy Spirit, yet there is only one God. That is what Scripture shows.

But that isn't what we're talking about. We're talking about whether or not God has always existed as three distinct, coequal, co-eternal persons. One God in three realms doesn't even address that.

I will not be doing that and giving you free rein. I have had you on practically every forum there is

God is ALL-IN-ALL. There are no negatives in my One God.

The ONE God IS Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. The Trinity diagram breaks him up.

I will not be doing that and giving you free rein. I have had you on practically every forum there is
I don't have the willpower either. :biggrin2

God is ALL-IN-ALL. There are no negatives in my One God.
Not in mine either. The Father is God, the Son is God, the Holy Spirit is God, yet there is only one God. All positives.

I don't have the willpower either. :biggrin2

Not in mine either. The Father is God, the Son is God, the Holy Spirit is God, yet there is only one God. All positives.no negative adjectives to describe the mighty God.
So no negative adjectives to describe the mighty God then?

That has cleared the air. :)

Lights out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back