Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Three person God identified in the Bible?

Where is the three person God identified in the Bible?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
God, the creator is Spirit.

Right.

Jesus was born of the spirit giving us God in the flesh.

This is also right.
I'm having difficulty with the wording you use.
But so far, so good.

He is God made visible.

Jesus is NOT God Father made visible.
You yourself said that God Father is spirit.
It's more correct to say that Jesus is a representation of God....
much like a photo is a representation of a person.
Jesus is the ultimate revelation of God.

But, I think, you mean that Jesus is God Father become flesh.
Is this what you're saying?

If your answer is yes, it cannot be correct....
because what happened to God Father in that case?

One God and not three. The one God came down from heaven's glory. The inclusion of the Holy Spirit makes One tripartite God in our likeness because like God we are body soul and spirit while being one person. We are one tri-part person and likewise for the one omnipresent god. There can only be one supreme being who is God overall.

url="true"]https://www.desiringgod.org/articles/god-came-down[/URL]

There can only be one Being known as God.
This is correct. There is only One God.
Deuteronomy 6:4

I looked through the article on the Desiring God site and it didn't have anything helpful -- it was very generic.

I'm trying to understand if you believe in the Trinity or not.

I did and he told me to go away. He does not believe in 3 distinct persons of the Godhead. God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit and states such is in error. I tried to limit myself to show the Father is not Jesus and Jesus is not the Father.

If my memory serves me Cooper stated he was Anglican as I once asked him if he was a oneness doctrine of God believer as his beliefs seem to follow that doctrine. He stated he was Anglican.

Well,
What are 3 core beliefs of Anglican?
Anglican tradition affirms three historic creeds: the Apostles' Creed, the Nicene Creed, and the Athanasian Creed.
My brother is Anglican. He believes in the Trinity/Godhead/Triune nature of God.

Sometimes I just can't tell if we're speaking about the same thing but using different words.
This is the problem I have with Cooper.

If Cooper believes that God Father is Jesus, then it's incorrect.
Let's see what he replies...I'm confused to tell you the truth.
However, what you've listed above is correct.

There is only one God....
But 3 Persons, all God and all having the same nature, thus being found in that One God.
God Father
God Son
God Holy Spirit

But to us there is one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him. (1 Corinthians 8:6)

This is a wonderful verse in which the words Son and Holy Spirit do not appear, ruling out a triune God. Instead, we read of one God, the Father, from whom are all things, and for whom we exist, and one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom are all things, and through whom we exist. Christ is called Lord eighty-five times in the KJV. The Lord is One, and Jesus is Lord.

God is Spirit (John 4:24), upholding the universe and everything in it. The Spirit was made visible in the flesh of Jesus Christ, the invisible God made visible to us, and is with us now, sent by Christ the living Lord, who came among us in flesh and blood.

All things are from the Father, and all things are through Jesus Christ, through whom we exist. Father and Son are One God.

God is One.
“Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. Deuteronomy 6:4
To you, it was shown that you might know that the LORD is God; there is no other besides him. Deuteronomy 4:35.
So, you believe there is one Great Being, One Spirit being.
He revealed Himself to us as Jesus.
I hope you believe that the Great Being, the One Spirit being was still in heaven when Jesus was born here on earth otherwise the entire universe would have ceased to exist since God holds up everything, as you've stated a couple of times now, and with which we all agree.

You said that in 1 Corinthians 8:6 there was no mention of the Holy Spirit.
This is true of course. But because there is no mention of Him does not mean He does not exist.

Do you believe Jesus when He stated that the Apostles were to teach all nations and to baptize in the Name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.

Jesus gave the same authority to all 3 Persons.
Why would Jesus have stated this form of baptism?
(unless all 3 had the same authority?)

There is Only One God.
In that One God there is His Spirit
and there is His Son, the 2nd Person of the Trinity.
So there are 3 Persons with the same nature...
in One God.

because what happened to God Father in that case?
God in Jesus. (God with us.)
Philip *said to Him, “Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us.” Jesus *said to him, “Have I been so long with you, and yet you have not come to know Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; how can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? John 14:8-9

If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also; from now on you know Him, and have seen Him.” Philip *said to Him, “Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us.” Jesus *said to him, “Have I been so long with you, and yet you have not come to know Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; how can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? John 14:7-9

He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. Colossians 1:15

For it was the Father’s good pleasure for all the fullness to dwell in Him, Colossians 1:19

For in Him all the fullness of Deity dwells in bodily form, Colossians 2:9

Last edited:

because what happened to God Father in that case.

There can only be one Being known as God.
This is correct. There is only One God.
Deuteronomy 6:4
It was only the flesh that died, in our place, so our sins that are as red as scarlet shall be made whiter than the snow.

But it had to be the perfect sinless man.

Last edited:
I have always viewed the "mind of the Spirit" as the Father. So the Spirit as a distinct person of the Godhead is to me in error. Jesus has His own mind apart from the Father and is a distinct person in my eyes. But God's own Spirit would have Gods very own nature. Deity -the one and only eternal Holy Spirit. The Spirit of truth.
He Who Searches Our Hearts Knows the Mind of the Spirit—Romans 8:27
1 Corinthians 2
For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the man's spirit within him? In the same way no one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God. We have not received the spirit of the world but the Spirit who is from God, that we may understand what God has freely given us.
John 16:12-15
“I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. 13But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. 14He will glorify me because it is from me that he will receive what he will make known to you. 15All that belongs to the Father is mine. That is why I said the Spirit will receive from me what he will make known to you.”
Romans 8:26-27
The mind of the Spirit - according to the Will of "God" not on His own
In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans. 27 And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for God’s people in accordance with the will of God.
But that shouldn't surprise you as God states so. The Father alone does not speak of "His" Spirit as another.
Acts 2:17
’In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams.

The testimony confirms this as the Spirit sent in "Jesus's name proceeds from the Father.
Acts 2:33
Exalted to the right hand of God, he has received from the Father the promised Holy Spirit and has poured out what you now see and hear.
John 20:21
The Father sent Jesus.
Again Jesus said, “Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you.”

From the scroll of Isaiah that Jesus read and was fulfilled at that reading - the Spirit of the one who sent Him

Isaiah 61​

The Year of the LORD’s Favor​

1 The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me, because the LORD has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners,
2 to proclaim the year of the LORD’s favor and the day of vengeance of our God, to comfort all who mourn,

And again Gods testimony.
Matthew 12:18
"Here is My Servant, whom I have chosen, My beloved, in whom My soul delights. I will put My Spirit on Him, and He will proclaim justice to the nations.
Matt: 10
Jesus-18On my account you will be brought before governors and kings as witnesses to them and to the Gentiles. 19But when they arrest you, do not worry about what to say or how to say it. At that time you will be given what to say, 20for it will not be you speaking, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you.

1 Corinthians 8:6
So Paul didn't forget to honor the "person" of the Spirit
yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live.

And neither did the Host of Heaven
New International Version Rev 5:13
Then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all that is in them, saying: “To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be praise and honor and glory and power, for ever and ever!”

The Father, The Father Living in the Son, The Fathers Spirit =One Deity who is God
The Son is all that the Father is for in Him all the fullness was pleased to dwell and He and the Father are "One"- United in that Deity. By that Deity Jesus performs the "Fathers works at Will just as the Father Himself" A Son who is called Mighty God. A Son who has a place on His "Fathers" throne. Our Lord Jesus Christ, the one who purchased us by His blood for His God and has made us a kingdom and priests to serve His God and Father,

God in Jesus. (God with us.)
Philip *said to Him, “Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us.” Jesus *said to him, “Have I been so long with you, and yet you have not come to know Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; how can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? John 14:8-9

If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also; from now on you know Him, and have seen Him.” Philip *said to Him, “Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us.” Jesus *said to him, “Have I been so long with you, and yet you have not come to know Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; how can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? John 14:7-9

He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. Colossians 1:15

For it was the Father’s good pleasure for all the fullness to dwell in Him, Colossians 1:19

For in Him all the fullness of Deity dwells in bodily form, Colossians 2:9
OK.
That sounds like the Trinity.
This is not an easy topic to talk about.

It was only the flesh that died, in our place, so our sins that are as red as scarlet shall be made whiter than the snow.

But it had to be the perfect sinless man.
And Jesus was the perfect sinless man.
I think it's important to note, however, that it was not God Father that went to the cross,
but God Son.
The Son is the WORD of God,,,the REASON of God....
It is this word that was made flesh according to John 1:1

And Jesus was the perfect sinless man.
I think it's important to note, however, that it was not God Father that went to the cross,
but God Son.
The Son is the WORD of God,,,the REASON of God....
It is this word that was made flesh according to John 1:1
Two persons, and the Holy Spirit is the third person. ONE God.

Except Trinitarians say the Father is not the Son, the Son is not the Holy Spirit, and the Holy Spirit is not the Son, so where has God gone?

Jesus said, "I and the Father are One." I see only one undivided God. My God is undivided. I would not worship a divided God. The word "NOT" divides, and the opposer loves division. I have nothing more to say.

Now I am no longer in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to You. Holy Father, keep through Your name those whom You have given Me, that they may be one as We are one. John 17:11

• that they may be one as We are one.

Are you God the Father because you are one spirit with Christ?

But he who is joined to the Lord is one spirit with Him.
1 Corithians 6:17

JLB

Except Trinitarians say the Father is not the Son, the Son is not the Holy Spirit, and the Holy Spirit is not the Son, so where has God gone?

For there are three that bear witness in heaven: the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit; and these three are one.
1 John 5:7

The word of God does not say this one is three.

It says these three are one.

JLB

Two persons, and the Holy Spirit is the third person, with each person being the ONE God.

Except that Trinitarians say the Father is not the Son, the Son is not the Holy Spirit, and the Holy Spirit is not the Son, so where has God gone?
What Trinitarians mean is that the "Persons" are distinct in order for us to understand.
First of all, we will never fully understand the Trinity. And, as I've said, I really dislike speaking about it because it's not easy to do.

The most important thing to say is this:
It is NOT 1 God in 3 persons....that would make 3 gods.

It is 3 persons in ONE GOD....that makes only One God.

So, who are these 3 persons in ONE GOD?
One is God Father .... what we know to be the spirit being that thought to create the entire universe.

One is God Son ... or the 2nd Person of the Trinity which we now know as The Son...the Word of God who brought everything into existence.

One is God Holy Spirit ... this could well be the spirit of God...or some call this God's Breath, that which gives life, like in Adam and Eve. God breathed life into Adam.

It is 3 "parts" of the One God.
But they ARE PARTS OF GOD....not different and individual gods.

We call them PERSONS because we have no other way of explaining it.
But be assured...Trinitarians believe there is ONLY ONE GOD.

Is this of any help?

For there are three that bear witness in heaven: the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit; and these three are one.
1 John 5:7

The word of God does not say this one is three.

It says these three are one.

JLB
Yes, that is correct. These three are one, and one cannot be divided.

Now I am no longer in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to You. Holy Father, keep through Your name those whom You have given Me, that they may be one as We are one. John 17:11

• that they may be one as We are one.

Are you God the Father because you are one spirit with Christ?

But he who is joined to the Lord is one spirit with Him.
1 Corithians 6:17

JLB
One God who cannot be divided.

What Trinitarians mean is that the "Persons" are distinct in order for us to understand.
First of all, we will never fully understand the Trinity. And, as I've said, I really dislike speaking about it because it's not easy to do.

The most important thing to say is this:
It is NOT 1 God in 3 persons....that would make 3 gods.

It is 3 persons in ONE GOD....that makes only One God.

So, who are these 3 persons in ONE GOD?
One is God Father .... what we know to be the spirit being that thought to create the entire universe.

One is God Son ... or the 2nd Person of the Trinity which we now know as The Son...the Word of God who brought everything into existence.

One is God Holy Spirit ... this could well be the spirit of God...or some call this God's Breath, that which gives life, like in Adam and Eve. God breathed life into Adam.

It is 3 "parts" of the One God.
But they ARE PARTS OF GOD....not different and individual gods.

We call them PERSONS because we have no other way of explaining it.
But be assured...Trinitarians believe there is ONLY ONE GOD.

Is this of any help?
Three parts make one whole, and if we take only one part away, the whole is lost.

Three parts make one whole, and if we take only one part away, the whole is lost.
OK
I see what you're saying.

But then you have to explain how the 2nd Person of the Trinity ended up on earth and the Father was STILL IN HEAVEN!

Who was Jesus praying to when He was on earth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back