Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Three person God identified in the Bible?

Where is the three person God identified in the Bible?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have tried. You refuse to listen and prefer the straw man of polytheism.
I hate polytheism that says the Father is Not the Son. The Son is Not the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is not the Father.

That's your precious diagram that makes three gods which you defend.

I hate polytheism that says the Father is Not the Son. The Son is Not the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is not the Father.

There you go; straw man. You simply do not understand, nor seem to care to try and understand, the doctrine of the Trinity.

There you go; straw man. You simply do not understand, nor seem to care to try and understand, the doctrine of the Trinity.
I have yet to see any Trinitarian explain the relevance of the word 'not' in relation to the Almighty.

It denies the omnipotence and omnipresence of God.

Last edited:

Okay. Please believe me when I say that the trinitarianism does not teach polytheism. One of its very foundations, one of the very reasons for the doctrine, is that there was, is, and always will be only one God. It is fundamentally monotheistic.

These are the main issues in God's revelation of himself to us:

1. There is only one God, one indivisible substance. On that we must be absolutely clear.
2. The Father is God, the Son is God, and the Holy Spirit is God.
3. They are coequal, co-eternal, and consubstantial. This means they have always been and will always be distinct "persons" (probably the best and closest word we can use to describe them, at least in layman's terms).

So, whatever we come to believe of God, we must make sense of all of those things together. We cannot use one to trump the others. To say that in "eternity past," God was an absolute unity (only one person), would contradict some passages and has no real support in Scripture. We would have to set aside the plain use of language, rules of grammar, and logic. That God has always existed as a compound unity (three persons within the one being that is God), is supported; in the very least, there is nothing to really refute it.

Is this confusing? Of course! Can anyone fully comprehend it? Of course not. God is infinite and if we think we can fully understand his existence in and of himself, then he is a god of our own making. So, there is a point where one simply has to take it on faith (based on reason and evidence) that ontologically, God exists as three persons of one substance.

I have yet to see any Trinitarian explain the relevance of the word 'not' in relation to the Almighty.
That isn't true. I have explained the relevance of it in this thread: "It speaks to the distinction that the Bible itself gives" (post #641). We must maintain the distinctions between the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit within God, since the Bible does.

Okay. Please believe me when I say that the trinitarianism does not teach polytheism. One of its very foundations, one of the very reasons for the doctrine, is that there was, is, and always will be only one God. It is fundamentally monotheistic.

These are the main issues in God's revelation of himself to us:

1. There is only one God, one indivisible substance. On that we must be absolutely clear.
2. The Father is God, the Son is God, and the Holy Spirit is God.
3. They are coequal, co-eternal, and consubstantial. This means they have always been and will always be distinct "persons" (probably the best and closest word we can use to describe them, at least in layman's terms).

So, whatever we come to believe of God, we must make sense of all of those things together. We cannot use one to trump the others. To say that in "eternity past," God was an absolute unity (only one person), would contradict some passages and has no real support in Scripture. We would have to set aside the plain use of language, rules of grammar, and logic. That God has always existed as a compound unity (three persons within the one being that is God), is supported; in the very least, there is nothing to really refute it.

Is this confusing? Of course! Can anyone fully comprehend it? Of course not. God is infinite and if we think we can fully understand his existence in and of himself, then he is a god of our own making. So, there is a point where one simply has to take it on faith (based on reason and evidence) that ontologically, God exists as three persons of one substance.

That isn't true. I have explained the relevance of it in this thread: "It speaks to the distinction that the Bible itself gives" (post #641). We must maintain the distinctions between the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit within God, since the Bible does.

1. Indivisible substance.

The diagram says the Father is not the Son, etc. etc. IT DIVIDES. Are you so blind?

1. Indivisible substance.

The diagram says the Father is not the Son, etc. etc. IT DIVIDES.
One God, one substance, three eternally distinct persons--there is no division in substance. You keep thinking that 1+1+1=3, but don't seem to consider that 1x1x1=1.

Are you so blind?
Please stop with the personal insults.

Yes, that is correct. These three are one, and one cannot be divided.

Who said anything about divided.

We are one spirit with the Lord, yet we are two distinct individuals.

But he who is joined to the Lord is one spirit with Him.
1 Corinthians 6:17

JLB

Who said anything about divided.

We are one spirit with the Lord, yet we are two distinct individuals.

But he who is joined to the Lord is one spirit with Him.
1 Corinthians 6:17

JLB
God cannot be divided. God is One. God is Spirit. Remove the word 'not' relating to God from the man-made diagram (Constantine) particularly with reference to the Holy Spirit, or face the consequences. Mark 3:23-29

To say the Holy Spirit is not the Father is so wrong.

Last edited:
God cannot be divided. God is One. God is Spirit. Remove the word 'not' relating to God from the man-made diagram (Constantine) particularly with reference to the Holy Spirit, or face the consequences. Mark 3:23-29

Do you believe Constantine made up the doctrine of the Trinity?

God cannot be divided.

Again, no one mentioned anything about God being divided.

Those are your words.

You are making up things no one has said and are building your “case” around a word that was never mentioned.

Why?

For there are three that bear witness in heaven: the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit; and these three are one. 1 John 5:7

These three (divine persons of the Godhead) are one.

Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness;… Genesis 1:26

God (Elohim) is plural.

JLB

Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
Matthew 28:19

Jesus says there are three.

JLB

Cooper, do you believe the trinity was given through Jesus and His Apostles or later by others?

In regard to onesness.
Jesus spoke of the Deity living in Him. Did He state it was His Deity or did He identify another Deity living in Him doing their work?

Others have already presented Jesus speaking of the Spirit as another. Does the Father speak of that Spirit as another?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back