Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Three person God identified in the Bible?

Where is the three person God identified in the Bible?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
He teaches the foundations of it everywhere, as I pointed out several times. It’s in the language he uses of himself in relation to the Father, and how he mentions the Holy Spirit.
So you have to read between the lines to see it?

Body, soul, and spirit appear frequently in scripture.

I read in the Vine commentary Spirit is the immaterial, invisible part of man, Luk_8:55; Act_7:59; 1Co_5:5; Jas_2:26; cf. Ecc_12:7,

I believe in the spirit.
Yeah a lot of people combine what belongs to false religion with scripture thinking it's the truth, but it isn't. When anyone believes the soul or the spirit is a person inside a human being that separates at death they are no longer going by scripture.That is false religion.
I believe what the scriptures say about the spirit concerning human beings and the scriptures don't in any way say that human beings have souls, but instead the scriptures teach human beings are souls. The scriptures also don't teach that the spirit in man is some living person inside the human body. The scriptures teach that the spirit in man is the same spirit in animals.

Yeah a lot of people combine what belongs to false religion with scripture thinking it's the truth, but it isn't. When anyone believes the soul or the spirit is a person inside a human being that separates at death they are no longer going by scripture.That is false religion.
I believe what the scriptures say about the spirit concerning human beings and the scriptures don't in any way say that human beings have souls, but instead the scriptures teach human beings are souls. The scriptures also don't teach that the spirit in man is some living person inside the human body. The scriptures teach that the spirit in man is the same spirit in animals.
Body, soul, and spirit. Luke tells us in Chapter 8 and verse 55 that the spirit is life.

Luk 8:50 But when Jesus heard it, he answered him, saying, Fear not; believe only, and she shall be made whole.
Luk 8:51 And when he came into the house, he suffered no man to go in, save Peter, James, and John, and the father and mother of the maiden.
Luk 8:52 And all wept and bewailed her; but he said, Weep not; she is not dead, but sleepeth.
Luk 8:53 And they laughed him to scorn, knowing that she was dead.
Luk 8:54 And he put them all out, took her by the hand, and called, saying, Maid, arise.
Luk 8:55 And her spirit came again, and she arose straightway; and he commanded to give her meat.
Luk 8:56 And her parents were astonished; but he charged them that they should tell no man what was done.

Secondly, I suggest our spirit defines who we are. We are all born with the spirit of Adam, and we know the spirit of Hitler and various others. Our spirit is invisible, but even so, it defines who we are. Believers have the spirit of Christ, and it is easy on the forums to know who has the spirit of God within them and who has the spirit of the opposer.

When the Bible talks about man’s spirit, it is usually speaking of an inner force which animates a person in one direction or another. It is repeatedly shown as a mover, a dynamic force (e.g., Numbers 14:24). and although the Spirit is invisible, or as some would say non-existent, goodness me, it is the driving force behind everything we believe in and do.

Last edited:
So you have to read between the lines to see it?
Not at all. For those of us who use English translations, one just has to know and understand English. It’s a matter of looking at the various and multiple pieces of evidence and seeing the conclusion to which they point.

Jesus teaches monotheism (foundation one). The plain language he uses shows that he, the Father, and the Holy Spirit are all God in nature, yet each is distinct one from the other (foundation two). From those two it follows that they are all coequal and co-eternal; it cannot be otherwise (foundation three).

Not at all. For those of us who use English translations, one just has to know and understand English. It’s a matter of looking at the various and multiple pieces of evidence and seeing the conclusion to which they point.

Jesus teaches monotheism (foundation one). The plain language he uses shows that he, the Father, and the Holy Spirit are all God in nature, yet each is distinct one from the other (foundation two). From those two it follows that they are all coequal and co-eternal; it cannot be otherwise (foundation three).
So Jesus doesn't come right out and teach that God is three people, anywhere in any of the gospels, but it can be interpreted into the Scriptures?

Jesus isn't Almighty God, he's the son of Almighty God who's name is YHWH.

I know that the Greek word monogenes is defined by lexicographers as “single of its kind, only,” or “the only member of a kin or kind.” (Thayer's Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament, 1889, p.417; Liddell and Scott's Greek renal ish Lexicon, Oxford, 1968, p.1144) The term is used in describing the relation of both sons and daughters to their parents.

The Scriptures speak of “the only-begotten son” of a widow who lived in the city of Nain, of Jairus’ “only-begotten daughter,” and of a man’s “only-begotten” son whom Jesus cured of a demon. (Luke 7:11, 12; 8:41, 42; 9:38) The Greek Septuagint uses monogenes when speaking of Jephthah’s daughter, concerning whom it is written: “Now she was absolutely the only child. Besides her he had neither son nor daughter.”(Judges 11:34)

The apostle John repeatedly describes the Lord Jesus Christ as the only-begotten Son of God. (John 1:14; 3:16, 18; 1Jo 4:9) This is not in reference to his human birth or to him as just the man Jesus. As the Logos, or Word, “this one was in the beginning with God,” even “before the world was.” (John 1:1, 2; 17:5, 24) At that time while in his prehuman state of existence, he is described as the “only-begotten Son” whom his Father sent “into the world.”(1John 4:9)

The angels of heaven are sons of God even as Adam was a “son of God.” (Genesis 6:2; Job 1:6; 38:7; Luke 3:38) But the Logos, later called Jesus, is “the only-begotten Son of God.” (Joh 3:18) He is the only one of his kind, the only one whom God himself created directly without the agency or cooperation of any creature. He is the only one whom God his Father used in bringing into existence all other creatures. He is the firstborn and chief one among all other angels (Colossians 1:15, 16; Hebews 1:5, 6), which angels the Scriptures call “godlike ones” or “gods.” (Psalm 8:4, 5) Therefore, according to some of the oldest and best manuscripts, the Lord Jesus Christ is properly described as “the only-begotten god [Gr., monogenes theos].”(John 1:18)

He is described as having “a glory such as belongs to an only-begotten son from a father,” the one residing “in the bosom position with the Father.” (John 1:14, 18) It is hard to think of a closer, more confidential, or more loving and tender relationship between a father and his son than this.

A few translations, in support of the Trinitarian “God the Son” concept, would invert the phrase monogenes theos and render it as “God only begotten.” But W. J. Hickie in his Greek-English Lexicon to the New Testament (1956, p. 123) says it is hard to see why these translators render monogenes huios as “the only begotten Son,” but at the same time translate monogenes theos as “God only begotten,” instead of “the only begotten God.”

Paul referred to Isaac as Abraham’s “only-begotten son” (Hebrew 11:17), even though Abraham also fathered Ishmael by Hagar as well as several sons by Keturah. (Genesis 16:15; 25:1, 2; 1Chronicles 1:28, 32) God’s covenant, however, was established only through Isaac, Abraham’s only son by God’s promise, as well as the only son of Sarah. (Genesis 17:16-19) Furthermore, at the time Abraham offered up Isaac, he was the only son in his father’s household. No sons had yet been born to Keturah, and Ishmael had been gone for some 20 years—no doubt was married and head of his own household.(Genesis 22:2)

So from several viewpoints in regard to the promise and the covenant, the things about which Paul was writing to the Hebrews, Isaac was Abraham’s only-begotten son. So, Paul parallels “the promises” and the “only-begotten son” with “‘your seed’ . . . through Isaac.” (Hebrew 11:17, 18) Whether Josephus had a similar viewpoint or not, he too spoke of Isaac as Abraham’s “only son.”

The soul or the spirit are not persons living in our human bodies. Human beings are souls, that what the scriptures say. The spirit that's in human's is shown to be the same spirit in animals. So you can believe and teach people that humans are tripartite beings, but I don't agree that the scriptures teach that.
John 1:1, " In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."
John 10:30, "The Father and I are one"

You can write whatever you want to disagree with this, but it's what the Bible clearly states.

I've read many different definitions people have concerning the trinity. I've also listened to trinitarians talk about the Word, who they believe the Word is. Everyone of them believe the Word is God, they don't teach people that the Word is the only begotten Son of God. They have made this very clear. They also made it very clear that when the scripture says at John 1:14 that the word became flesh/human they teach it was God who became flesh/human, not that it was the only begotten Son of God who became flesh/human. Trinitarians make it very clear that this is what they believe the scriptures teach.
You wrote, "Everyone of them believe the Word is God, they don't teach people that the Word is the only begotten Son of God". They are not incompatible. When you understand this you will understand the Trinity.

As Cooper has pointed out, we are body, soul, and spirit. Three characteristics of one person. The same principle applies to the Godhead.

John 1:1, " In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."
John 10:30, "The Father and I are one"
Yes.

In the beginning was the Son, and the Son was with the Father, and the Son was the Father.

The Bible is amazing.

So Jesus doesn't come right out and teach that God is three people, anywhere in any of the gospels, but it can be interpreted into the Scriptures?
Why should he? God uses progressive revelation throughout the Bible, in part due to the fact that too much information at once can work against the very things the Bible is trying to teach. Jesus upheld monotheism, first and foremost. To then try and explain something like the Trinity, when his followers couldn't even understand his mission, would likely not have worked well. It is better in some cases to let people work things out for themselves.

So, again, Jesus teaches monotheism (foundation one). The plain language he uses shows that he, the Father, and the Holy Spirit are all God in nature, yet each is distinct one from the other (foundation two). From those two it follows that they are all coequal and co-eternal; it cannot be otherwise (foundation three).

I've read many different definitions people have concerning the trinity. I've also listened to trinitarians talk about the Word, who they believe the Word is. Everyone of them believe the Word is God, they don't teach people that the Word is the only begotten Son of God. They have made this very clear. They also made it very clear that when the scripture says at John 1:14 that the word became flesh/human they teach it was God who became flesh/human, not that it was the only begotten Son of God who became flesh/human. Trinitarians make it very clear that this is what they believe the scriptures teach.
I, too, have read about the Trinity from multiple authors and talked with others, and not once have I ever heard anyone deny that the Word is the pre-incarnate Son of God. Yes, the Word is God, in nature, that is what John 1:1 teaches. And so, it is also correct to say that God became flesh, because the Son of God is God, just not the Father.

Perhaps there is misunderstanding on your part as to what the words mean as trinitarians use them. This is what becomes so dangerous with cults like Mormonism and JWs--they use Christian words but change their meaning and it causes a lot of confusion, purposely.

It is obviously difficult for some people to understand the Trinity. No matter how many times it is explained to them (in a variety of ways) the cannot (or will not) understnad the concept. I think the only solution is prayer that their minds will be opened.

It is similar in nature to Jesus teaching spiritual truths in parables. Not everyone will understand. Their minds must be open and receptive.

As we are made in the image of God, what better model do we have to describe the Trinity than ourselves? We are one tripartite person the same as God.
I think maybe you need to look at the definition of tripartite:

1 : divided into or composed of three parts

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/tripartite

That means, it takes all three parts to make the one thing.

We have a body like Jesus, a soul and a spirit, except we are not omnipresent or omniscient etc. like God, only Jesus has the power of God dwelling in and through him.
According to your analogy and claim that God is tripartite, your God cannot be God. If you take away any one thing, he would cease to be all three and therefore would cease to be God.

Also, as I have pointed out before, we are made in the image of God ontologically. In order for your analogy to work, we would have to have been made in the image of God after Jesus was born, since God did not have a body before then, and certainly not at the time of Gen 1:26-27.

Well intentioned people have made several attempts to describe the nature of the triune God to whom we attach what seems an appropriate label thereby putting them into a pigeon-hole. Trinitarians are no different from anyone else in this, and then all the arguments begin.
I don't understand what you're getting at here.

Perhaps we ought to look to our own triune nature of body, soul and spirit while thinking globally to gain an understanding of the one God who we love and worship, but each in our own way instead of being one heart and mind.
I don't understand what your point is here, especially since we are supposed to be of one heart and mind.

It is obviously difficult for some people to understand the Trinity. No matter how many times it is explained to them (in a variety of ways) the cannot (or will not) understnad the concept. I think the only solution is prayer that their minds will be opened.

It is similar in nature to Jesus teaching spiritual truths in parables. Not everyone will understand. Their minds must be open and receptive.
The question then becomes "Whose mind has not been opened? The trinitarian or the Oneness believer?"

If only one of them has been given the proper amount of light to see the Truth of the matter, which one is it?

My answer would be the one who believes a doctrine most closely represented by Scripture.

Oneness is taught throughout the Bible.

Trinity is taught nowhere.

Hmmmmmmmmmm ........ :confused

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back