Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Three person God identified in the Bible?

Where is the three person God identified in the Bible?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Those are all possible definitions that make zero sense with the rest of the context of the verse in question.

Morning and evening have nothing to do with an afternoon, an age, or anything else listed there.

Having said that, if you desperately need to reconcile your Biblical beliefs with modern mainstream worldly teachings that the earth is billions of years old and we came from apes and pond scum, you go right ahead.

I will warn you, though, that the Bible does say that you have not the love of God in you if you have to embrace the things of the world.

If you can't accept the Bible for what it teaches, aside from what the world teaches, you are sitting on a fence that God never created and you are a lukewarm Christian.

Something to consider, but you go right ahead and believe what feels most safe to you.
In the context of creation, it makes a lot of sense. The heavens and earth were not created in six earth days of 24 earth hours each day.

And by the way, it is best not to get personal or you may be reported and perhaps banned.

Last edited:
Oneness was the original teaching of the Bible, silly.

It was taught throughout the Old Testament.
Again, I have thoroughly rebutted this argument a few times; you have yet to address any of those rebuttals. So, to repeat again: there is not a single verse in the entire Bible that supports God being an absolute unity, or "Oneness." In fact, the door is always left open for a compound unity, or "plurality."

Every verse you think you have given to support Oneness, as I have pointed out each time, only supports monotheism, which the doctrine of the Trinity fully affirms. Monotheism, not Oneness, is the original teaching of the Bible.

I take it you don't feel the trinity is all that important of a concept in Scripture.
On the contrary, it is among the most important.

As we are a tripartite person, comprising body soul, and spirit in the image of God, I would not compare us with the doctrine of oneness.
I don't understand your point nor how it relates to what you quoted. It seems especially strange since you have used the metaphor of us being tripartite for the God of Oneness. You've made the comparison several times.

https://christianforums.net/threads...tified-in-the-bible.2858/page-33#post-1759205

https://christianforums.net/threads...tified-in-the-bible.2858/page-31#post-1758733

https://christianforums.net/threads...t-a-time-to-discuss.94894/page-7#post-1733640

https://christianforums.net/threads...t-a-time-to-discuss.94894/page-7#post-1733640

In the context of creation, it makes a lot of sense. The heavens and earth were not created in six earth days of 24 earth hours each day.
God says they were.

God was there.

Were you?
And by the way, it is best not to get personal or you may be reported and perhaps banned.
I don't know you, I can't get personal with you, but "they" can ban me anytime "they" like.

These are objective facts.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the contrary, it is among the most important.
One of the most important concepts in the Bible, you say?

Yet Jesus "teaches" the concept nowhere.

One would think that a concept that important, that God is three persons, would not only be taught clearly by Jesus Christ in the New Testament, but would be repeated in every book of the gospel so that there could be no misunderstanding whatsoever.

Where is that "teaching" in each of the gospel accounts of Jesus?

Where is it in any of them?

One of the most important concepts in the Bible, you say?

Yet Jesus "teaches" the concept nowhere.

One would think that a concept that important, that God is three persons, would not only be taught clearly by Jesus Christ in the New Testament, but would be repeated in every book of the gospel so that there could be no misunderstanding whatsoever.

Where is that "teaching" in each of the gospel accounts of Jesus?

Where is it in any of them?
He teaches the foundations of it everywhere, as I pointed out several times. It’s in the language he uses of himself in relation to the Father, and how he mentions the Holy Spirit.

Try Mark 12:29 (kjv).

Here:

Mar 12:29, And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord:
That is from Deut 6:4, and it is a statement of monotheism only. In fact, some scholars believe that Paul expands on the Shema in 1 Cor 8:6:

1Co 8:6 yet for us there is one God, the Father, from whom are all things and for whom we exist, and one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom are all things and through whom we exist. (ESV)

That is from Deut 6:4, and it is a statement of monotheism only. In fact, some scholars believe that Paul expands on the Shema in 1 Cor 8:6:

1Co 8:6 yet for us there is one God, the Father, from whom are all things and for whom we exist, and one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom are all things and through whom we exist. (ESV)
1 Corinthians 8:6 presents a problem for the Trinitarian. I think you should spend some time thinking about what it says and what it means for the doctrine of the Trinity.

I have overcome this problem in my own thinking; I think that I believe in the Trinity even in light of the fact that there is one Lord Jesus Christ and that this one Lord has to be the Father according to Matthew 11:25, Luke 10:21, and 2 Corinthians 6:17-18.

The distinction being that the Father is a Spirit inhabiting eternity without flesh and the Son is the same Spirit inhabiting human flesh.

As we are made in the image of God, what better model do we have to describe the Trinity than ourselves? We are one tripartite person the same as God. We have a body like Jesus, a soul and a spirit, except we are not omnipresent or omniscient etc. like God, only Jesus has the power of God dwelling in and through him.

Well intentioned people have made several attempts to describe the nature of the triune God to whom we attach what seems an appropriate label thereby putting them into a pigeon-hole. Trinitarians are no different from anyone else in this, and then all the arguments begin.

Perhaps we ought to look to our own triune nature of body, soul and spirit while thinking globally to gain an understanding of the one God who we love and worship, but each in our own way instead of being one heart and mind.

Last edited:
And yet He is God Almighty.
Jesus isn't Almighty God, he's the son of Almighty God who's name is YHWH.
You are fond of pointing out that Jesus is the "only begotten Son of God," which is fine of course, except that it seems that you think it means something it doesn't. Monogenes really just means "unique," "only," "one and only." What it does not mean is that Jesus was literally begotten or that there was a time when he did not exist. It is worth noting that monogenes is used only 9 times in the NT; 5 of those times in reference to Jesus and each of those are by John. This is important because John 1:1-3 completely rules out the idea that there was ever a time when the Word, the pre-incarnate Son, did not exist.

Here is M. R. Vincent on John 1:14's use of monogenes:

"Μονογενής distinguishes between Christ as the only Son, and the many children (τέκνα) of God; and further, in that the only Son did not become (γενέσθαι) such by receiving power, by adoption, or by moral generation, but was (ἦν) such in the beginning with God. The fact set forth does not belong to the sphere of His incarnation, but of His eternal being. The statement is anthropomorphic, and therefore cannot fully express the metaphysical relation."
I know that the Greek word monogenes is defined by lexicographers as “single of its kind, only,” or “the only member of a kin or kind.” (Thayer's Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament, 1889, p.417; Liddell and Scott's Greek renal ish Lexicon, Oxford, 1968, p.1144) The term is used in describing the relation of both sons and daughters to their parents.

The Scriptures speak of “the only-begotten son” of a widow who lived in the city of Nain, of Jairus’ “only-begotten daughter,” and of a man’s “only-begotten” son whom Jesus cured of a demon. (Luke 7:11, 12; 8:41, 42; 9:38) The Greek Septuagint uses monogenes when speaking of Jephthah’s daughter, concerning whom it is written: “Now she was absolutely the only child. Besides her he had neither son nor daughter.”(Judges 11:34)

The apostle John repeatedly describes the Lord Jesus Christ as the only-begotten Son of God. (John 1:14; 3:16, 18; 1Jo 4:9) This is not in reference to his human birth or to him as just the man Jesus. As the Logos, or Word, “this one was in the beginning with God,” even “before the world was.” (John 1:1, 2; 17:5, 24) At that time while in his prehuman state of existence, he is described as the “only-begotten Son” whom his Father sent “into the world.”(1John 4:9)

The angels of heaven are sons of God even as Adam was a “son of God.” (Genesis 6:2; Job 1:6; 38:7; Luke 3:38) But the Logos, later called Jesus, is “the only-begotten Son of God.” (Joh 3:18) He is the only one of his kind, the only one whom God himself created directly without the agency or cooperation of any creature. He is the only one whom God his Father used in bringing into existence all other creatures. He is the firstborn and chief one among all other angels (Colossians 1:15, 16; Hebews 1:5, 6), which angels the Scriptures call “godlike ones” or “gods.” (Psalm 8:4, 5) Therefore, according to some of the oldest and best manuscripts, the Lord Jesus Christ is properly described as “the only-begotten god [Gr., monogenes theos].”(John 1:18)

He is described as having “a glory such as belongs to an only-begotten son from a father,” the one residing “in the bosom position with the Father.” (John 1:14, 18) It is hard to think of a closer, more confidential, or more loving and tender relationship between a father and his son than this.

A few translations, in support of the Trinitarian “God the Son” concept, would invert the phrase monogenes theos and render it as “God only begotten.” But W. J. Hickie in his Greek-English Lexicon to the New Testament (1956, p. 123) says it is hard to see why these translators render monogenes huios as “the only begotten Son,” but at the same time translate monogenes theos as “God only begotten,” instead of “the only begotten God.”

Paul referred to Isaac as Abraham’s “only-begotten son” (Hebrew 11:17), even though Abraham also fathered Ishmael by Hagar as well as several sons by Keturah. (Genesis 16:15; 25:1, 2; 1Chronicles 1:28, 32) God’s covenant, however, was established only through Isaac, Abraham’s only son by God’s promise, as well as the only son of Sarah. (Genesis 17:16-19) Furthermore, at the time Abraham offered up Isaac, he was the only son in his father’s household. No sons had yet been born to Keturah, and Ishmael had been gone for some 20 years—no doubt was married and head of his own household.(Genesis 22:2)

So from several viewpoints in regard to the promise and the covenant, the things about which Paul was writing to the Hebrews, Isaac was Abraham’s only-begotten son. So, Paul parallels “the promises” and the “only-begotten son” with “‘your seed’ . . . through Isaac.” (Hebrew 11:17, 18) Whether Josephus had a similar viewpoint or not, he too spoke of Isaac as Abraham’s “only son.”
Trinitarians say the Father is NOT the Son, the Son is NOT the Holy Spirit, and the Holy Spirit is NOT the Father, making three individual gods.

In my opinion, and according to scripture, we are made in the image of God and are One tripartite being comprising body, soul and spirit.
The soul or the spirit are not persons living in our human bodies. Human beings are souls, that what the scriptures say. The spirit that's in human's is shown to be the same spirit in animals. So you can believe and teach people that humans are tripartite beings, but I don't agree that the scriptures teach that.

I've addressed this already. Trinitarians absolutely do not "deny that Jesus is the only begotten Son of God" or that " the only begotten Son of God is the Word that became flesh/human." If you really believe that, then you don't understand the doctrine of the Trinity at all. Maybe that's why you don't believe it.

Completely, utterly false. This is a blatant misrepresentation of what Trinitarians believe.
I've read many different definitions people have concerning the trinity. I've also listened to trinitarians talk about the Word, who they believe the Word is. Everyone of them believe the Word is God, they don't teach people that the Word is the only begotten Son of God. They have made this very clear. They also made it very clear that when the scripture says at John 1:14 that the word became flesh/human they teach it was God who became flesh/human, not that it was the only begotten Son of God who became flesh/human. Trinitarians make it very clear that this is what they believe the scriptures teach.

Division is not godliness.

Trinity talk/divisions of denominations, is testified as carnal/ as there is one body of Christ so jon it and join the conversation of unity.

Romans 12:5 So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.

1 Corinthians 1:10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

1 Corinthians 1:12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.

1 Corinthians 1:13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?

1 Corinthians 3:4 For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal?

The soul or the spirit are not persons living in our human bodies. Human beings are souls, that what the scriptures say. The spirit that's in human's is shown to be the same spirit in animals. So you can believe and teach people that humans are tripartite beings, but I don't agree that the scriptures teach that.
Body, soul, and spirit appear frequently in scripture.

I read in the Vine commentary Spirit is the immaterial, invisible part of man, Luk_8:55; Act_7:59; 1Co_5:5; Jas_2:26; cf. Ecc_12:7,

I believe in the spirit.

Last edited:
Trinitarians, Baptists, Catholics, JW's ,all divisions of denominations in the world, here is testimony for all.

Proverbs 20:3 It is an honour for a man to cease from strife: but every fool will be meddling.

1 Corinthians 1:10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

Trinitarians, Baptists, Catholics, JW's ,all divisions of denominations in the world, here is testimony for all.

Proverbs 20:3 It is an honour for a man to cease from strife: but every fool will be meddling.

I would love that to happen, and for there to be no strife.
The disciples dealt with it.

I've read many different definitions people have concerning the trinity. I've also listened to trinitarians talk about the Word, who they believe the Word is. Everyone of them believe the Word is God, they don't teach people that the Word is the only begotten Son of God. They have made this very clear. They also made it very clear that when the scripture says at John 1:14 that the word became flesh/human they teach it was God who became flesh/human, not that it was the only begotten Son of God who became flesh/human. Trinitarians make it very clear that this is what they believe the scriptures teach.
Jesus has his own Spirit. Gods Firstborn Luke 23:46;Revelation 3:14;col 1:15 - Paul stated all things came from" the Father" as He is the one who created "through the Son". Jesus always refers to His Father in speaking of God as in the beginning of the creation of the Father; the firsrborn of all creation; the church does state that the Father is unbegotten and that Jesus is begotten of the Father before all worlds
There was no God formed before the Father nor one After Him Isaiah 43:10
The Fullness of the Deity was from the will of another was gifted not formed Col 1:19
Jesus identified the Deity living in Him and the oneness as such. The Father John 14:10
The Father is the only true God: John 17:3
So in that context Jesus could be seen as the only begotten God but in truth the Father, the Deity living in Jesus, who is unbegotten is the one and only true God. Since it is His Deity in fullness that lives in His Son , Jesus is all that the Father is. God in that context and oneness in that manner
Of course all things other than Jesus's own spirit - created by the Father alone, were made through Him, by Him and for Him

Good Mornting
May I asked- what do you mean by the Seventh day?
God created the heavens and the earth in six days and then he rested, presumably from the work of creation, because now he is preparing a place for us in what is now the seventh day. Look how long it is. Certainly more than twenty-four hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back