Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Understanding Mary - Mother of God

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Thank you, but where in the bible can a person find that title? the closest that I can find is:

Luke 1:26-33​

26 And in the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God unto a city of Galilee, named Nazareth,
27 To a virgin espoused to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin's name was Mary.
28 And the angel came in unto her, and said, Hail, thou that art highly favoured, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women.
29 And when she saw him, she was troubled at his saying, and cast in her mind what manner of salutation this should be.
30 And the angel said unto her, Fear not, Mary: for thou hast found favour with God.
31 And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name Jesus.
32 He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David:
33 And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end.

Walter

Why should you expect a particular title to appear in the Bible?
Where is the word "Incarnation" in the Bible?
Where is the word "Trinity" on the BIble?
To me it's a sign of desperation when someone starts demanding a particular word, or set of words, in the Bible.

But actually there is a closer fit than you give above.
In Lk 1:43 Elizabeth says (while “filled with the Holy Spirit”) And why is this granted me, that the mother of my Lord (kuriou) should come to me? Several times in chapter 1 Luke uses kurios for God (indeed Mary herself does in verse 38). So Elizabeth calling Mary The mother of my Lord is calling her the mother of my God.

P.S. I did actually point this out in the OP.

Giving rise to someone is a very peculiar phrase. Leaving that aside I agree that Mary did not give Jesus his divine nature but she gave him his human nature.
I think I have to disagree with this. Jesus chose to take on a human nature. It didn't come from Mary. Mary was the vessel by which He chose to use.

14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.
John 1:14 NKJV

5b Christ Jesus,
6 who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God,
7 but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men.

Philippians 2:5b-7 NKJV

In Lk 1:43 Elizabeth says (while “filled with the Holy Spirit”) And why is this granted me, that the mother of my Lord (kuriou) should come to me? Several times in chapter 1 Luke uses kurios for God (indeed Mary herself does in verse 38). So Elizabeth calling Mary The mother of my Lord is calling her the mother of my God.
Thank you, that is a prophecy/sign Isaiah 7:14

I think I have to disagree with this. Jesus chose to take on a human nature. It didn't come from Mary. Mary was the vessel by which He chose to use.

14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.

5b Christ Jesus,
6 who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God,
7 but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men.

If Jesus did not get his human nature from Mary then where he it come from?
Is this the "celestial flesh" theory that God created a new human being and implanted it in Mary?
Or what?

If Jesus did not get his human nature from Mary then where he it come from?
Is this the "celestial flesh" theory that God created a new human being and implanted it in Mary?
Or what?
I already told you. He chose to come in Human form. Jesus always was. John's gospel makes that quite clear.

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 He was in the beginning with God.

John 1:1-2 NKJV

5b Christ Jesus,

Why should you expect a particular title to appear in the Bible?
Where is the word "Incarnation" in the Bible?
Where is the word "Trinity" on the BIble?
To me it's a sign of desperation when someone starts demanding a particular word, or set of words, in the Bible.

P.S. I did actually point this out in the OP.

So you write that it's a sign of desperation when someone starts demanding a particular word, or set of words, in the Bible, then describe how Luke used kurios for God. Alrighty then! Self-contradiction!

Because that title expresses a biblical truth. See OP
Hello Mungo, To me in your way of thinking it does because of Greek Theotokos/

What is the Theotokos?
The use of Theotokos was formally affirmed at the Third Ecumenical Council held at Ephesus in 431. It proclaimed that Mary truly became the Mother of God by the human conception of the Son of God in her womb:

Greek Theotokos

The title “Mother of God” is a western derivation from the Greek Theotokos, which means “God-bearer”. On this day, we are reminded of the role that the Blessed Virgin played in the plan of our salvation. Through the Holy Spirit, God the Father prepared Mary to be the dwelling place where His Son and His Spirit could dwell among men.

Walter

Last edited:
I already told you. He chose to come in Human form. Jesus always was. John's gospel makes that quite clear.

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 He was in the beginning with God.

John 1:1-2 NKJV

5b Christ Jesus,

Exactly and I agree with those verses.
And where did he become flesh?
Answer in the womb of the Virgin Mary.
Lk 1:31 "And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus”.
By any normal interpretation conceive means to become pregnant with material from the mother.

Heb 2;14 says “Since therefore the children share in flesh and blood, he himself likewise partook of the same nature,…”
Jesus Christ, the second person of the Trinity, and therefore with the Divine nature, took also a human nature in the womb of the vergin Mary. She was his mother, the mother of the person who is both God and man.
Mary is the mother of Jesus
Jesus is God.
Therefore Mary is the Mother of God.
It's simple.

So you write that it's a sign of desperation when someone starts demanding a particular word, or set of words, in the Bible, then describe how Luke used kurios for God. Alrighty then! Self-contradiction!
How is it a self contradiction?

Hello Mungo, To me in your way of thinking it does because of Greek Theotokos/

What is the Theotokos?
The use of Theotokos was formally affirmed at the Third Ecumenical Council held at Ephesus in 431. It proclaimed that Mary truly became the Mother of God by the human conception of the Son of God in her womb:

Greek Theotokos
Good, we agree on something.

Lk 1:31 "And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus”.
By any normal interpretation conceive means to become pregnant with material from the mother.

Heb 2;14 says “Since therefore the children share in flesh and blood, he himself likewise partook of the same nature,…”
Jesus Christ, the second person of the Trinity, and therefore with the Divine nature, took also a human nature in the womb of the vergin Mary. She was his mother, the mother of the person who is both God and man.
Mary is the mother of Jesus
Jesus is God.
Therefore Mary is the Mother of God.
It's simple.

Nowhere in the Bible does it say that Mary is the mother of God. Nowhere.

Good, we agree on something.
Yes Sir, but, I was just showing that belief, but not in agreement with it because of that kind of faith in which I'm not a Catholic, but my faith is to believe in our Lord Jesus Christ.

By ThoughtCo
Updated on May 04, 2019
The Catholic religion was established in the Mediterranean region during the first century CE by a small group of Jewish men and women, one of several sects which were all bent on reforming the Jewish faith. The word "Catholic" (which means "embracing" or "universal") was first used to refer to the early Christian church by the bishop and martyr Ignatius of Antioch in the 1st century.

Key Takeaways: Catholic Religion​

• Catholicism is a Christian religion, a reformation of the Jewish faith that follows the teachings of its founder Jesus Christ.
  • Like other Christian religions as well as Judaism and Islam, it is also an Abrahamic religion, and Catholics consider Abraham as the ancient patriarch.
  • The current head of the church is the Pope, who resides in Vatican City.
  • There are 2.2 billion Catholics in the world today, 40 percent of whom live in Latin America.

According to figures from the seat of the church, the Vatican in Rome, there are currently 1.2 billion Catholics in the world today: 40 percent of them live in Latin America.

What Catholics Believe

The Catholic religion is monotheistic, meaning that Catholics believe that there is only one supreme being, called God. The Catholic God has three aspects, known as the Trinity.
The Supreme Being is the creator, called God or God the Father, who resides in heaven and watches over and guides everything on earth. He is known as the lord of heaven and earth, and referred to as almighty, eternal, immeasurable, incomprehensible, and infinite in understanding, will, and perfection.
The Holy Trinity is made up of the Father (God), who has no origin and holds the sole power of creation; the Son (Jesus Christ) of God, who shares the wisdom of the Father; and the Holy Spirit, which is the personification of goodness and sanctity, arising from both the Father and Son.
The legendary Founder of the Catholic Church was a Jewish man named Jesus Christ who lived in Jerusalem and preached to a small group of followers. Catholics believe he was the "messiah," the son aspect of the Trinity, who was sent to Earth and born to redeem those who sin against the true religion. Christ is said to have had a human body and a human soul, identical to other humans except that he was without sin. Important religious events which are said to have occurred in the life of Christ are a virgin birth, miracles he performed during his life, martyrdom by crucifixion, resurrection from the dead, and ascension into heaven.

Significant Historical Figures​

None of the individuals named in the Catholic religion as significant or sanctified figures have powers of creation, and as such, they are not to be worshiped, but they can be appealed to for intercession in prayers.
Mary is the name of the human person who was the mother of Jesus Christ, a resident of Bethlehem and Nazareth. She was told by an archangel that she would give birth to Christ as a virgin, and would remain a virgin after the birth. On her death, her body went through the process known as "the assumption," becoming the Queen of Heaven.
The Apostles were the original 12 disciples of Christ: led by Peter, a Galilean fisherman who might have been a follower of John the Baptist first. The others are Andrew, James the Greater, John, Philip, Bartholomew, Matthew, Thomas, James the Lesser, Jude, Simon, and Judas. After Judas committed suicide, he was replaced by Matthias.
Saints are people who lived an exceptionally holy life, including many martyrs from the 2nd and 3rd centuries CE, and afterward, are said to reside eternally with God in heaven.
The Pope is the supreme pastor for the Catholic church. The first pope was the apostle Peter, followed by Clement of Rome around the year 96.

Walter

Last edited:
Yes Sir, but, I was just showing that belief, but not in agreement with it because of that kind of faith in which I'm not a Catholic, but my faith is to believe in our Lord Jesus Christ.

By ThoughtCo
Updated on May 04, 2019
The Catholic religion was established in the Mediterranean region during the first century CE by a small group of Jewish men and women, one of several sects which were all bent on reforming the Jewish faith. The word "Catholic" (which means "embracing" or "universal") was first used to refer to the early Christian church by the bishop and martyr Ignatius of Antioch in the 1st century.

Key Takeaways: Catholic Religion​

• Catholicism is a Christian religion, a reformation of the Jewish faith that follows the teachings of its founder Jesus Christ.
  • Like other Christian religions as well as Judaism and Islam, it is also an Abrahamic religion, and Catholics consider Abraham as the ancient patriarch.
  • The current head of the church is the Pope, who resides in Vatican City.
  • There are 2.2 billion Catholics in the world today, 40 percent of whom live in Latin America.

According to figures from the seat of the church, the Vatican in Rome, there are currently 1.2 billion Catholics in the world today: 40 percent of them live in Latin America.

What Catholics Believe

The Catholic religion is monotheistic, meaning that Catholics believe that there is only one supreme being, called God. The Catholic God has three aspects, known as the Trinity.
The Supreme Being is the creator, called God or God the Father, who resides in heaven and watches over and guides everything on earth. He is known as the lord of heaven and earth, and referred to as almighty, eternal, immeasurable, incomprehensible, and infinite in understanding, will, and perfection.
The Holy Trinity is made up of the Father (God), who has no origin and holds the sole power of creation; the Son (Jesus Christ) of God, who shares the wisdom of the Father; and the Holy Spirit, which is the personification of goodness and sanctity, arising from both the Father and Son.
The legendary Founder of the Catholic Church was a Jewish man named Jesus Christ who lived in Jerusalem and preached to a small group of followers. Catholics believe he was the "messiah," the son aspect of the Trinity, who was sent to Earth and born to redeem those who sin against the true religion. Christ is said to have had a human body and a human soul, identical to other humans except that he was without sin. Important religious events which are said to have occurred in the life of Christ are a virgin birth, miracles he performed during his life, martyrdom by crucifixion, resurrection from the dead, and ascension into heaven.

Significant Historical Figures​

None of the individuals named in the Catholic religion as significant or sanctified figures have powers of creation, and as such, they are not to be worshiped, but they can be appealed to for intercession in prayers.
Mary is the name of the human person who was the mother of Jesus Christ, a resident of Bethlehem and Nazareth. She was told by an archangel that she would give birth to Christ as a virgin, and would remain a virgin after the birth. On her death, her body went through the process known as "the assumption," becoming the Queen of Heaven.
The Apostles were the original 12 disciples of Christ: led by Peter, a Galilean fisherman who might have been a follower of John the Baptist first. The others are Andrew, James the Greater, John, Philip, Bartholomew, Matthew, Thomas, James the Lesser, Jude, Simon, and Judas. After Judas committed suicide, he was replaced by Matthias.
Saints are people who lived an exceptionally holy life, including many martyrs from the 2nd and 3rd centuries CE, and afterward, are said to reside eternally with God in heaven.
The Pope is the supreme pastor for the Catholic church. The first pope was the apostle Peter, followed by Clement of Rome around the year 96.

Walter
Continued from above:

• To have faith in Jesus Christ means to trust Him and obey His commandments. Faith is much more than passive belief. We express our faith through action—by the way we live.
    People also ask
    What does it mean to have faith in Jesus Christ?
    To have faith in Jesus Christ means to trust Him and obey His commandments. Faith is much more than passive belief. We express our faith through action—by the way we live. These resources are to help you prepare for the “Learn together” section of the meeting.
    What does it mean to have faith in Jesus Christ?
    www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/youth/learn/ap/atone…

Search for: What is faith and why does it matter?
    Why do we need the faith of Jesus in our lives?
    This is why we need the faith of Jesus in our lives, so that we may become partakers of the divine nature and then the keeping of God's commandments comes as a result of our faith and being partakers of the divine nature.
    What is the Faith of Jesus Christ? - End time
    www.end-times-prophecy.org/faith-in-jesus-christ.html
    Search for: Why do we need the faith of Jesus in our lives?

• Having faith in Jesus means not only agreeing with the fact that He can save, but trusting in Him that He both has and will save you. There are a couple things to remember about faith in Jesus that are vital to a humble recognition of God's work of grace in us and to a proper attitude of gratitude to Jesus Christ for who He is and what He has done.

Last edited:
So what? That does not prove that He got His humanity from Mary. All that is proven by His birth is that Mary carried Him in her womb.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back