Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

WAS THE LAW FULFILLED OR ABOLISHED?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Time out!
I have to go keep the Sabbath holy......................
When you're finished keeping the Sabbath holy and are back from your shopping spree....
could you please give us YOUR opinion?

Are we required to keep the 10 commandments, as born again believers?

Thanks for your kind reply.

But the commandment is not to LOVE your parents.
We are to HONOR our parents. There's a difference.
I don't think you understand the building blocks and how the commandments are to function within the realm of love. All the commandments build off love, and love is integral to every commandment.
Honor without love is not honor. It's simply placating somebody.
Do you placate God by saying what He wants to hear and call it honor? Or do you honor God by doing His will?
You get the point.

I don't think you understand the building blocks and how the commandments are to function within the realm of love. All the commandments build off love, and love is integral to every commandment.
Honor without love is not honor. It's simply placating somebody.
Do you placate God by saying what He wants to hear and call it honor? Or do you honor God by doing His will?
You get the point.
SB,
You break all your own rules of engagement.
Study up on what it means to honor our parents.
Study up on why the commandment is to honor and not LOVE.

Does this mean we are not to love them?
Does honor go beyond love?

And you really should stop telling me I don't understand things.
And that I'm wrong.
Even if Idon't.
And even if I am.

When you're finished keeping the Sabbath holy and are back from your shopping spree....
could you please give us YOUR opinion?

Are we required to keep the 10 commandments, as born again believers?

Thanks for your kind reply.
Sure
Why not?
10 Commandments are a big deal
Christians go to war over it

I'm brought to the point of wondering why we refer to the two great commandments as laws. If we truly love God with all our heart, it seems strange to consider these as laws, which can be broken, rather than a way of life indwelt with the Holy Spirit.

Is it a law that I must breathe or is it just a matter of fact part of living, ergo, a way of life? Laws are questioned and challenged all the time but a way of life is just accepted for what it is.

I'm brought to the point of wondering why we refer to the two great commandments as laws. If we truly love God with all our heart, it seems strange to consider these as laws, which can be broken, rather than a way of life indwelt with the Holy Spirit.

Is it a law that I must breathe or is it just a matter of fact part of living, ergo, a way of life? Laws are questioned and challenged all the time but a way of life is just accepted for what it is.
I agree with you and I'd say that as we mature in Christ, it DOES become a way of life.
It becomes a part of us and we don't have a check list that must be ticked off every night before
we fall asleep.

However, every word that come from God is called a Law in the bible.
This is because God is our judge and judges from what He speaks and we are expected to obey.

Of course the New Covenant is different than the Mosaic Covenant in HOW it is followed...
however, we are still expected to follow these "laws".

The Decalog was given at Mount Sinai ( Exod 20:1-17 ) and repeated in Moses' sermon over forty years later ( Deut 5:6-21 ). The formulation in the Decalogue (the traditional "thou shalt/shalt not") is apodictic, that is, unqualified; God as King imposes demands upon his subjects. These commandments represent the minimum moral and religious requirements for those in covenant relationship with God.

The Book of the Covenant ( Exod 20:22-23:33, ; partially repeated in 34:10-26 ) consists of cultic, humanitarian, and civil regulations. Most of its civil regulations follow the casuistic formulation of cuneiform laws: "If X happens (protasis), then Y will be the legal consequences (apodosis)."

source: https://www.biblestudytools.com/dictionary/law/

This is also interesting:

Now, now...that would be telling.....
You don't have to name names....
I just don't know what a law-keeper is.

As far as I can understand, we're all required to keep
the law....the commandments...the 10 commandments,
the Law of God...the Moral Law.

I think that covers what I mean since we're having such trouble
understanding each other.

Sometimes I think the Catholics are better off...at least they all use
the same terms.

That's easy.
By nature we're resistant to the literal Sabbath restrictions.
The commandments are 10...we can't change it to 9.

However, that could be discussed.

The commandment about the Sabbath would fall under the category
of it being a Ceremonial Law,,,,the ceremonial laws are no longer binding.
Every other commandment is moral in nature and so is binding on us.

The commandments are 10...we can't change it to 9.
For me the entire law is fulfilled.
The only division I draw in the law is between what's completed in Christ and marked 'satisfied' on my account in heaven, and what's left for me to live out in my body in obedience to him.

The Ten are the foundation:

"1And God spoke all these words:" - Exodus 20:1

Then God gave laws immediately after that go into more detail:

"1These are the laws you are to set before them:" - Exodus 21:1

Finally, Moses expounded on the law just before the people entered into the Land:

"5East of the Jordan in the territory of Moab, Moses began to expound this law, saying:" - Deuteronomy 1:5

To me it's just one complete revelation of law. A revelation of law that gets upheld by our faith in Christ, not cast down and broken:

"31Do we, then, nullify the law by this faith? Not at all! Rather, we uphold the law." - Romans 3:31

It's all just a matter of discerning how our faith is to uphold the law. Sometimes it's literally upheld, other times it is not, but always upheld one way or the other.

For me the entire law is fulfilled.
The only division I draw in the law is between what's completed in Christ and marked 'satisfied' on my account in heaven, and what's left for me to live out in my body in obedience to him.

The Ten are the foundation:

"1And God spoke all these words:" - Exodus 20:1

Then God gave laws immediately after that go into more detail:

"1These are the laws you are to set before them:" - Exodus 21:1

Finally, Moses expounded on the law just before the people entered into the Land:

"5East of the Jordan in the territory of Moab, Moses began to expound this law, saying:" - Deuteronomy 1:5

To me it's just one complete revelation of law. A revelation of law that gets upheld by our faith in Christ, not cast down and broken:

"31Do we, then, nullify the law by this faith? Not at all! Rather, we uphold the law." - Romans 3:31

It's all just a matter of discerning how our faith is to uphold the law. Sometimes it's literally upheld, other times it is not, but always upheld one way or the other.
What's left for you to live out?

This thread has been a problem and I don't understand why.
Maybe I'm not able to express myself correctly.

Jesus said He did not come to destroy the law but to fulfill it.
The way some understand this comes out like this....
Jesus did not come to destroy the law
but he came to destroy the law.

Only if it has been destroyed is it of no effect and we are not required to obey it.

What I learned is this:
The O.T. law has been split up into many categories,,,but the main ones are.
CIVIL
CEREMONIAL
MORAL

Some Civil laws would be:
problems with the cattle of a neighbor
how to handle rebellious children
dress
warfare rules

Some ceremonial laws would be:
Festivals
Offerings
Priestly duties
Sacrificial offerings for sin

Instead the Moral Law is what God gave to Moses on Mt. Sinai.
He returned with the commandments written in stone...no other
ordinance was written in stone.
It was placed in the Ark.

We are thus released from keeping civil and ceremonial laws...
but we are not released from keeping the Moral Law.

What problem do you see with what I've posted?

This thread has been a problem and I don't understand why.
Maybe I'm not able to express myself correctly.

Jesus said He did not come to destroy the law but to fulfill it.
The way some understand this comes out like this....
Jesus did not come to destroy the law
but he came to destroy the law.

What you struggle with is Death. Death is the fulfillment of the Law. To Moses was given the ministry of Death.

But if you are trying to LIVE under the Law, then you have not Died to the Law. Like Adam after eating from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, you have learned to use a covering for yourself to hide from death. But Christ was obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back