Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

WAS THE LAW FULFILLED OR ABOLISHED?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
What's left for you to live out?

This thread has been a problem and I don't understand why.
Maybe I'm not able to express myself correctly.

Jesus said He did not come to destroy the law but to fulfill it.
The way some understand this comes out like this....
Jesus did not come to destroy the law
but he came to destroy the law.

Only if it has been destroyed is it of no effect and we are not required to obey it.

What I learned is this:
The O.T. law has been split up into many categories,,,but the main ones are.
CIVIL
CEREMONIAL
MORAL

Some Civil laws would be:
problems with the cattle of a neighbor
how to handle rebellious children
dress
warfare rules

Some ceremonial laws would be:
Festivals
Offerings
Priestly duties
Sacrificial offerings for sin

Instead the Moral Law is what God gave to Moses on Mt. Sinai.
He returned with the commandments written in stone...no other
ordinance was written in stone.
It was placed in the Ark.

We are thus released from keeping civil and ceremonial laws...
but we are not released from keeping the Moral Law.

What problem do you see with what I've posted?

The terms civil law, ceremonial law, and moral law are artificial divisions that are not found in Scripture.

We are released from keeping the entire OT law as an obligation, although the Holy Spirit will guide us into practicing such a "law" as loving our neighbor as ourselves.

Reactions: JLB
The terms civil law, ceremonial law, and moral law are artificial divisions that are not found in Scripture.

We are released from keeping the entire OT law as an obligation, although the Holy Spirit will guide us into practicing such a "law" as loving our neighbor as ourselves.

Amen. Well said.

What you struggle with is Death. Death is the fulfillment of the Law. To Moses was given the ministry of Death.

But if you are trying to LIVE under the Law, then you have not Died to the Law. Like Adam after eating from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, you have learned to use a covering for yourself to hide from death. But Christ was obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.
I agree with you EZ.
I don't struggle with death.
The spirit of the law is life.

So the question is:
Are we Christians required to obey the 10 commandments?

A simple yes or no would be nice and simplify things.
My answer is YES.

So let me get this straight......
We don't have to follow the 10 commandments if we don't want to?
How do you figure that?

We cannot keep the levitical laws.
We have no levites and we have no temple for sacrifices.
Even Jews today do not attempt to keep levitical laws
So when you talk about keeping the law, you do not mean levitical laws, unless you're only talking about the ones you want to keep for whatever reasons, usually because don't know better.
So talking about what laws to keep and what laws not to keep, you really have to know your talking about.
One law I keep is not having sex with animals.
One law I do not keep is tithing.

We cannot keep the levitical laws.
We have no levites and we have no temple for sacrifices.
Even Jews today do not attempt to keep levitical laws
So when you talk about keeping the law, you do not mean levitical laws, unless you're only talking about the ones you want to keep for whatever reasons, usually because don't know better.
So talking about what laws to keep and what laws not to keep, you really have to know your talking about.
One law I keep is not having sex with animals.
One law I do not keep is tithing.
Tithing is not a law we have to keep.
It was a civil law. There's no way we could keep Israel's civil laws today.

Tithing is not a law we have to keep.
It was a civil law. There's no way we could keep Israel's civil laws today.

Now consider how great this man was, to whom even the patriarch Abraham gave a tenth of the spoils. And indeed those who are of the sons of Levi, who receive the priesthood, have a commandment to receive tithes from the people according to the law, that is, from their brethren, though they have come from the loins of Abraham; but he whose genealogy is not derived from them received tithes from Abraham and blessed him who had the promises. Now beyond all contradiction the lesser is blessed by the better. Here mortal men receive tithes, but there he receives them, of whom it is witnessed that he lives. Even Levi, who receives tithes, paid tithes through Abraham, so to speak, for he was still in the loins of his father when Melchizedek met him. Hebrews 7:4-10

Abraham paid tithes.

So let me get this straight......
We don't have to follow the 10 commandments if we don't want to?
How do you figure that?

Honestly, is that what you got from his post?

His commandments are about love.

For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome. 1 John 5:3

So when he says the Holy Spirit leads us to love our neighbor, that is the law of Christ, which are referred to as His Commandments.

They have been His Commandments Before the foundation of the world and did not originate with Moses, although His Commandments were contained within the law of Moses, because they were are part of the Abrahamic Covenant, and kept by Abraham long before Moses was born.

By saying “10 Commandments“ you are giving the impression we are to keep the Sabbath as required by the law of Moses.

We both know that’s not true.

So why do you call them the “10 Commandments“ ?

His commandments refer to many more than 10.

JLB

Last edited:
Now consider how great this man was, to whom even the patriarch Abraham gave a tenth of the spoils. And indeed those who are of the sons of Levi, who receive the priesthood, have a commandment to receive tithes from the people according to the law, that is, from their brethren, though they have come from the loins of Abraham; but he whose genealogy is not derived from them received tithes from Abraham and blessed him who had the promises. Now beyond all contradiction the lesser is blessed by the better. Here mortal men receive tithes, but there he receives them, of whom it is witnessed that he lives. Even Levi, who receives tithes, paid tithes through Abraham, so to speak, for he was still in the loins of his father when Melchizedek met him. Hebrews 7:4-10

Abraham paid tithes.
Be serious.
Abraham paid a tenth of his spoils of war to a holy man one time.
That is hardly what tithes are.

required ? not so sure of that.but all the Bible is hinged on the ten commandments

Is you shall not hate one of the 10

Whoever hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him. 1 John 3:15

How about homosexuality or fornication, bestiality, outbursts of wrath, drunkenness, ....

We are not required to keep the Sabbath as the law of Moses required.

The Point:

There are many more than 10, and the 4th commandment as required by the law, has been set aside, having been fulfilled by Christ.

JLB

Last edited:
Be serious.
Abraham paid a tenth of his spoils of war to a holy man one time.
That is hardly what tithes are.

Ok I’ll fix it.

Even Levi, who receives tithes, paid tithes through Abraham, so to speak, for he was still in the loins of his father when Melchizedek met him. Hebrews 7:9-10

Better?

Surely you must know there is more to covenant relationship than not having sex with animals.

JLB

Do you still look to Jesus to cover your sins?
Jesus is always interceding on behalf of the believer:

"25 ...he is able to save completely c those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them." - Hebrews 7:25

"34 ...Christ Jesus who died—more than that, who was raised to life—is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us." - Romans 8:34

Is you shall not hate one of the 10

Whoever hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him. 1 John 3:15

How about homosexuality or fornication, bestiality, outbursts of wrath, drunkenness, ....

We are not required to keep the Sabbath as the law of Moses required.

The Point:

There are many more than 10, and the 4th commandment as required by the law, has been set aside, having been fulfilled by Christ.

JLB
Yes, I'll rest on that!

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back