Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

What is Election?

I'm not angry. My position is that you misrepresented what Paul was saying and why he was saying it in 2 Tim 2:10. Nothing more, nothing less. It was a very specific point only toward that post.

How is it misrepresented?
How would you interpret it?

I'm not angry. My position is that you misrepresented what Paul was saying and why he was saying it in 2 Tim 2:10. Nothing more, nothing less. It was a very specific point only toward that post.
Can you make a specific point toward what I said about the 2 Timothy passage, please?

It really is the best way for your doctrine to be understood and, maybe, accepted by the rest of us.

We have to understand your doctrine before we can take it as our own.

Paul is not trying to get the elect saved in 2Tim. Yet you said he was:

I interpret it hopefully as it was intended. That is Paul teaching Timothy (and other readers) that suffering for other Christians is a good thing. Nothing more, nothing less.
Oh, that's right, you're OSAS.

'Salvation' in the passage has to mean the benefits of salvation (not salvation itself as in 'getting saved') in order to stay in conformity to the preconceived premise through which he's interpreting the verse.

"...for the sake of the elect, that they also may obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus..." (2 Timothy 2:10 NKJV)

The OP, "What is Election?", I think goes way beyond "who are the elect?"
To understand election, I think one has to explain what it means to be "be predestined by the foreknowledge of God".
Does 'foreknowledge' mean 'determined counsel' and if so, what is the bases for it.
There are only two verses in the NT that use the word translated 'foreknowledge'.
Acts 2:23 and 1Peter 1:2 I think Acts 2:23, can be quite insightful.

Act 2:23 Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain:
Here in context to the crucifixion, it was both by "determined counsel AND foreknowledge".

What do any of you think this means?

I'm OSAS, I guess I'm elected.
You can be non-OSAS and still be elected.

How do you view 'salvation' in the 2 Timothy passage?

Paul is making sure the elect obtain the salvation the elect already have.

On second thought, let's not get into the implications of that. Let's stay focused on election, lol.

To understand election, I think one has to explain what it means to be "be predestined by the foreknowledge of God".
This is really the direction I was going with this.

Why does 'election' mean without the consent and choice of the one being elected? We don't use the word that way in our daily lives. On what basis do we change it to mean 'without the consent, or will, or qualifications of the elected'?

Does 'foreknowledge' mean 'determined counsel' and if so, what is the bases for it.
I'd have to think about it more, but I'd say the basis is God's omniscience, and the fact that he already knew the outcome of sending Christ to do what he knew Christ would do.

There are only two verses in the NT that use the word translated 'foreknowledge'.

Act 2:23 Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain:
Here in context to the crucifixion, it was both by "determined counsel AND foreknowledge".

Exactly what Tristan has been saying: Election is about foreknowledge and God knowing ahead of time how a person will respond to the gospel. And that there is a predetermined outcome for the person who chooses to have faith, and a predetermined outcome for the person who chooses to not have faith. The destiny of the former is to be conformed to the image of Christ. It's God's predetermined outcome for those who believe.

1 Peter 1:2 says 4 things that go together.
1. Foreknowledge of God
2. Sanctifying work of the Spirit
3. Our obedience to Jesus Christ
4. Being sprinkled with his blood.

Acts 2:23

God knew ahead of time that they would put Jesus to death and this was his plan.

Why does 'election' mean without the consent and choice of the one being elected? We don't use the word that way in our daily lives. On what basis do we change it to mean 'without the consent, or will, or qualifications of the elected'?
Who does that? I don't. And i believe in election. Typically, you find people that do not believe in election saying that.

God knew ahead of time that they would put Jesus to death and this was his plan.
Yes he was chosen for that, just as we are chosen for whatever it is God has in store for us. We do not elect or choose ourselves to God's service, but that hardly means we don't have any choice in the matter. But that is instantly what it means to some.

Being chosen=no choice

Why is this true for the kingdom, but not true in anything else?

Back