Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

When did the Law pass or has it passed away?

What does stiff necked mean?
To me, it means to be stubborn.
Disregard that. It's not my response. There was always a Spirit of God in the Torah. Think Genesis 1.
Yes I can see now after coming to Christ and through instruction by the Holy Spirit, that the goodness in us was there from the beginning by virtue of being created by the Creator. That which we call Love is His Spirit in us.

But please try and understand, that I was raised Catholic and we were told to love one another, but were not told that Love was God in us. To me, that was the major revelation by the Holy Spirit that changed my life. For it was the means by which I was able to esteem God as God. Genesis does not say to honor God as the Love within you, that I can recall. This is so important to me. The difference bewteen then and now is a complete reversal. Before when I thought I was to try and be good, when I would be good, it was like I thought god was saying "thank you" to me, and me saying "your welcome". Now when I do good, I say to Him, "Thank you", and He says, "Your welcome". Do you see the difference?

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't say empowers. rather defines it.
Yes I understand why you would say this. But why does Paul say the law empowers sin so as to cause sin to abound? Don't you think that's an important thing to know? As you say, Sheesh.
with what translation does the word say empower? the WAY YOU VIEW the law is like a legal code. it has that too it. but tell me. why did God in the law(remember any command of moses is a law!) to leave the edges of the fields for the poor? is that not a though shall love thy poor?
Yes you are right, I do view the law that way. And yes the law does teach that we should love.

But please try and understand, that I was raised Catholic and we were told to love one another, but were not told that Love was God in us. To me, that was the major revelation by the Holy Spirit that changed my life. For it was the means by which I was able to esteem God as God. This is so important to me. The difference bewteen then and now is a complete reversal. Before when I thought I was to try and be good, when I would be good, it was like I thought god was saying "thank you" to me, and me saying "your welcome". Now when I do good, I say to Him, "Thank you", and He says, "Your welcome". Do you see the difference?

Disregard that. It's not my response. There was always a Spirit of God in the Torah. Think Genesis 1.
Yes I can see now after coming to Christ and through instruction by the Holy Spirit, that the goodness in us was there from the beginning by virtue of being created by the Creator. That which we call Love is His Spirit in us.

But please try and understand, that I was raised Catholic and we were told to love one another, but were not told that Love was God in us. To me, that was the major revelation by the Holy Spirit that changed my life. For it was the means by which I was able to esteem God as God. Genesis does not say to honor God as the Love within you, that I can recall. This is so important to me. The difference bewteen then and now is a complete reversal. Before when I thought I was to try and be good, when I would be good, it was like I thought god was saying "thank you" to me, and me saying "your welcome". Now when I do good, I say to Him, "Thank you", and He says, "Your welcome". Do you see the difference?

Wow Childeye! very deep and very simple.
We love Him, because He first loved us.

What a wonderful law that any Christian can keep if they choose? To love others based upon the knowledge of Gods love for us. To love with His love.

This is the law! I cannot understand how those who say they seek to keep the law and how concerned they are that others keep the law, do not promote its simple fulfillment in love?

I wonder, why legalism is so tempting to some?

Is the "tempter" at work? I am sure he is.
2 Cor 11:3

What a wonderful law that any Christian can keep if they choose? To love others based upon the knowledge of Gods love for us. To love with His love.

This is the law! I cannot understand how those who say they seek to keep the law and how concerned they are that others keep the law, do not promote its simple fulfillment in love?

I'm just giving some honest testimony Mitspa. It is quite simple, but it is huge and Glorius to me. The foolishness of God is greater than the wisdom of men. Oh how so true are those words. Obviously, you know how it is with the temptor\accuser and the foundations of his vanity. Perfect scripture you have provided, Praise be to God. I just hope it will help us all come to a oneness in the body.

I have a question for those that hold to the fact that torah doesn't teach. if I have a child(see the avatar) and love her. DO not I set rules for her, tell her no when she does something bad for her. demonstrate love for her by giving to her and also correction?

if yes then that is what the torah is for.otherwise, lets just pray to jesus and not read bible. somehow God will just transform us to his will. yet paul says the bible(in his day it was the tanach) is for correction.

Nobody in this thread has stated the Torah doesn't teach.

Those are your words.

You are mixing together the Laws of Gods kingdom, which are Eternal, together with the Law of Moses.

Laws, commandments, rules, precepts... do not have their origin in the Law of Moses.

They come from God and were here from the beginning.

It started for us with -

And the Lord God commanded the man, saying,
"Of every tree of the garden you may freely eat; 17 but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die." Genesis 2:16

Thus the Law of sin and death was introduced.

As you can see, this did not begin with the law of Moses.

A commandment is something God tells you to do.

Which is not necessarily one of the 10 commandments, for God spoke of Abraham, who by the way was a Gentile, in this manner 430 years before the Law of Moses -

because Abraham obeyed My voice and kept My charge, My commandments, My statutes, and My laws." Genesis 26:5

JLB

Good post, JLB. Just because something is in the Mosaic Law doesn't mean it originated there. Some laws precede the Mosaic Law - and so if we say that the Mosaic Law has fallen away, it doesn't mean that the Decalogue has. The Mosaic Law was just reiterating what has already been given to mankind in general - thou shall not kill. It has been incorporated into the New Law of Christ, to an even more strict degree.

Regards

The purpose of the Law was to give the Children of Israel some guidelines, a fence if you will, around the Covenant He made with Abraham to allow Him to continue to bless them with the blessings of Abraham though they had "transgressed" the covenant boundary's.

His motive was love. His Grace was extended to them by His Love.

They knew nothing but bondage and the gods of the Egyptians for 400 years.

What purpose then does the law serve? It was added because of transgressions, till the Seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was appointed through angels by the hand of a mediator. Galatians 3:19

Obviously if there were "transgressions" before the Law of Moses then there was Law before the Law of Moses.

The same Lord who made Covenant with Abraham had to become flesh to do His part in the Covenant ritual of the cutting of flesh and the shedding of Blood.

JLB

It is going to take a time of Grace to get parallelism / lateral thinking going. I Corinthians 15 has a lot of animal symbolism. There is a good chance that a wasp (?) and its venom (sting) will be an accepted way to see throught the sting of death (and thus the power issue). Romans 1:19-20 always gives me hope in unwinding what is going on.

eddif

Time till Grace: from post 391 till today. I do not normally listen to pastor Rogers on tv, but this morning I did.

Of course I was interested in his using the bumblebee stinger in his sermon. I was half asleep, but I suppose it was three children (?) and a bumblebee sting. One little brother was stung, the second little sister was crying because the bumblebee was still buzzing around, but the third child (?) said not to worry: the stinger is in little brother and the bumblebee can not sting you.

Jesus bore our sins in his body on the cross.
I Corinthians 15:55
55 O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?

The stinger is in Jesus Christ.

There that Mississippi feller goes again talking about symbols. You would think he would give it a rest. LOL. I suppose there are others out there that use symbolism to know the things of God.
Romans 1:19-20
19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

Curse of the Law

Galatians 3:13
10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.
11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.
12 And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.
13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:

Use the Law lawfully.

Ephesians 2:14
14 For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;

eddif

It is going to take a time of Grace to get parallelism / lateral thinking going. I Corinthians 15 has a lot of animal symbolism. There is a good chance that a wasp (?) and its venom (sting) will be an accepted way to see throught the sting of death (and thus the power issue). Romans 1:19-20 always gives me hope in unwinding what is going on.

eddif

Time till Grace: from post 391 till today. I do not normally listen to pastor Rogers on tv, but this morning I did.

Of course I was interested in his using the bumblebee stinger in his sermon. I was half asleep, but I suppose it was three children (?) and a bumblebee sting. One little brother was stung, the second little sister was crying because the bumblebee was still buzzing around, but the third child (?) said not to worry: the stinger is in little brother and the bumblebee can not sting you.

Jesus bore our sins in his body on the cross.
I Corinthians 15:55
55 O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?

The stinger is in Jesus Christ.

There that Mississippi feller goes again talking about symbols. You would think he would give it a rest. LOL. I suppose there are others out there that use symbolism to know the things of God.
Romans 1:19-20
19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

Curse of the Law

Galatians 3:13
10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.
11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.
12 And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.
13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:

Use the Law lawfully.

Ephesians 2:14
14 For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;

eddif

He is risen!

He is alive for evermore!

May God Bless and keep you all.

JLB

I'm just giving some honest testimony Mitspa. It is quite simple, but it is huge and Glorius to me. The foolishness of God is greater than the wisdom of men. Oh how so true are those words. Obviously, you know how it is with the temptor\accuser and the foundations of his vanity. Perfect scripture you have provided, Praise be to God. I just hope it will help us all come to a oneness in the body.

Those who have been "born-again" have the law of Gods love written upon their heart. God would not have them to look to a written code to know His will, but to look inward into that which is written by the Spirit. When one looks to a written code and not to the spirit, they are subjecting their salvation upon the obedience of their own flesh. The flesh can NEVER be tamed only made unto a religious form as the pharisee.
When salvation is based upon the written code, it is based upon the flesh of man. When salvation is based upon faith and love, it empowers the spirit within the believer.
Do not tell me that those who walk in love need another rule but to love. For law upon the heart will keep a true standard, it needs no written code. Legalism only works to confuse the truth of CHRIST IN YOU.

It's funny, you wanted me to recite what you had written, and I responded with a prayer that spoke to the heart of what you were asking. However, that wasn't good enough, you wanted me to say what you had said word for word because what I had written wasn't good enough. So I ask you, who is the one being legalistic here?

Why do people like me study, follow and incorporate Torah into our lives? Is Torah not the Word of God?

Is Jesus not the Torah made flesh as stated in John 1?

Did Jesus not lead a sinless life according to his Word and Torah?

Could Jesus contradict his own Word and preach another Gospel?

Could he preach against or change his Word? Malachi 3:6

Could Jesus preach obedience to himself and ignore the instructions from the Torah? John 10:30

Could Jesus contradict the Father?

I hope this stirs up some thought.

Thank You to our Father for His Spirit of Love that is our only goodness.

Curious, what test am I passing, or failing? :biglol
Thank you so very much for your cooperation in this experiment. An explanation is coming, but first I would ask you this: Are there any prayers or writings in the Torah that say that God is our Spiritual goodness?

implied that he is.
david and moses speak of the torah being inward.
Thank You to our Father for His Spirit of Love that is our only goodness

It's funny, you wanted me to recite what you had written, and I responded with a prayer that spoke to the heart of what you were asking. However, that wasn't good enough, you wanted me to say what you had said word for word because what I had written wasn't good enough. So I ask you, who is the one being legalistic here?

Why do people like me study, follow and incorporate Torah into our lives? Is Torah not the Word of God?

Could Jesus preach obedience to himself and ignore the instructions from the Torah? John 10:30

'...we are come ... unto Jesus, the Mediator of the new covenant...' Hebrews 12.24

No He is the Living Word made flesh and He fulfilled it all, every jot and tittle or none of it.

think on that! and aslo consider 2 Cor 3:13-15

By the way, the pharisees loved to been seen praying before others.

'...we are come ... unto Jesus, the Mediator of the new covenant...' Hebrews 12.24
And does the New Covenant annul previous covenants?

(Insert the necessary verse from Hebrews to say it has)

Hebrews 7.18-19

This is THE MESSAGE OF THE NEW COVENANT!
for Christ is the end of the law for righteousness.

The strength of sin is the law.
The law is not of faith.
The spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set me FREE from the law of sin and death.
For sin will not have dominion over you BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT UNDER THE LAW, but under grace.
The ministry of death and condemnation, WRITTEN AND ENGRAVED ON STONES HAS PASSED AWAY.
etc.. etc...

Hebrews 7.18-19

Show me where one is not to have sex with animals in the New Covenant please.

SEX WITH ANIMALS!! what kind of "christian" would even think of such an act?
If the Holy Spirit of God, The law written upon the heart! and the fact that Christ is always with a believer.

Will not keep you from having sex with animals? I doubt if one who has such an ungodly lust that the written code of the law will keep such a person from such evil acts.

Indeed it does stir up thought. You are right, to me it wasn't good enough as in, it did not say what I had asked. I meant no offense and apologized beforehand with all humility and a sincere respect.

Did it speak to the heart of it? The Lord make His face shine upon you. If this means may God have His face be my face, then yes, I suppose it kind of speaks to the heart of it. It does not however clearly state that God is the Spirit of goodness in mankind. But it suggests He could be in that it makes supplication unto God. But what I get when I read it is, may you see or behold the face of God.
the Lord lift up His countenance upon you & grant you peace. This does seem to speak at the heart of the matter. What I get when I read it is, May God keep His personality upon you. Still it does not say clearly that God is the Love, the spiritual goodness in mankind. And again it is a supplication, as in may God be the goodness inside you, which also carries the implication that He may not be the goodness in side me.

At any rate, I said to not say it if you don't believe it. And you said it so I don't see any cause for disagreement. With all sincerity, I have nothing against the Torah nor anyones desire to study and find the treasures hidden therein. But I also find nothing wrong with worshipping God who inspired it. But I would not worship what is written over Him Who wrote it, and I'm sure you would agree. For any good lawyer can use these same words to cast accusation even as Satan used the Torah to tempt Jesus. Throughout history men have used scripture to justify atrocities in the Name of God, including the crucifying of the Christ, the persecution of the Jews, the inquisition etc...

Is Jesus not the Torah made flesh as stated in John 1? As I understand it, no, Jesus is not the Torah made flesh. The Word is indeed that which created every thing ever created including the Torah, and that is the Word that is Spirit not letter.

Did Jesus not lead a sinless life according to his Word and Torah? To me, Jesus led a sinless life because he was conceived by the Holy Spirit and not of the seed of Adam.

Could Jesus contradict his own Word and preach another Gospel? I don't see how, the Gospel is all about him.

Could he preach against or change his Word? Malachi 3:6. God would not break his promises nor does He ever change for He says I am that I am. But God can have a change of heart wherein He feels compassion rather than anger. Genesis 8:21.

Could Jesus preach obedience to himself and ignore the instructions from the Torah? John 10:30 The way I see it,If God wanted to kill a man for who had done no wrong, He has every right to even if the Torah forbids it. As Job said, The Lord giveth, the Lord taketh away. Jesus has been given all authority, so yes he is not bound by the Torah. He will smash men like jars of clay.

Could Jesus contradict the Father? I don't think he can nor would, but I do think he is in a position to sway God as an intercessor for mankind.

Back