Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

When did the Law pass or has it passed away?

yea its called those who are led of the Spirit, ARE THE SONS OF GOD. there is no other.

The jew in the flesh is nothing and those who look to the written code are just in error.

Considering that Paul says Gentiles were GRAFTED ONTO the olive tree, it suggests that there WAS a remnant to graft ONTO.

Now, this tells us that there WERE righteous people that Christians were being grafted onto. People who WERE JUST in God's eyes. People who lived by faith, people using the Law as a guideline and working with the Spirit of God within them. In other words, righteousness did not just begin with Pauline times. This is what I have been struggling to tell you, but you will not listen. There have ALWAYS been righteous people, a remnant, that God has preserved who live by faith.

Thus, your interpretation of Romans 3 cannot be correct. Even the Psalms Paul cites. You should actually read them. You will find WITHIN THEM examples of people who are seeking God! Paul cannot possibly mean literally 'no one seeks God' when the very Psalm he is citing says "I seek out God" (can't refer to Christ when it speaks about "you removed my sins")

What¿ That dont even make biblical sense!
Think that there is NONE RIGHTEOUS, NO NOT ONE!
Is pretty clear!
As I have said before if you desire to stand before God in your own righteousness by the law? Feel free!
I will stand with Paul and the gospel "NOT HAVING MY OWN RIGHTEOUSNESS, WHICH IS BY THE LAW, BUT THE THAT WHICH IS THROUGH FAITH IN CHRIST, THE RIGHTEOUSNESS WHICH IS OF GOD by faith Php 3:9

I must warn you, I dont think He will be very happy with those who go about to establish their own righteousness (by the torah) and have not submitted to His Righteousness. Rom 10:3-4

9 But now after you have known God, or rather are known by God, how is it that you turn again to the weak and beggarly elements, to which you desire again to be in bondage? 10 You observe days and months and seasons and years. 11 I am afraid for you, lest I have labored for you in vain. 12 Brethren, I urge you to become like me, for I became like you. You have not injured me at all. 13 You know that because of physical infirmity I preached the gospel to you at the first. 14 And my trial which was in my flesh you did not despise or reject, but you received me as an angel of God, even as Christ Jesus. 15 What then was the blessing you enjoyed? For I bear you witness that, if possible, you would have plucked out your own eyes and given them to me. 16 Have I therefore become your enemy because I tell you the truth? 17 They zealously court you, but for no good; yes, they want to exclude you, that you may be zealous for them. 18 But it is good to be zealous in a good thing always, and not only when I am present with you. 19 My little children, for whom I labor in birth again until Christ is formed in you, 20 I would like to be present with you now and to change my tone; for I have doubts about you. 21 Tell me, you who desire to be under the law, do you not hear the law? 22 For it is written that Abraham had two sons: the one by a bondwoman, the other by a freewoman. 23 But he who was of the bondwoman was born according to the flesh, and he of the freewoman through promise, 24 which things are symbolic. For these are the two covenants: the one from Mount Sinai which gives birth to bondage, which is Hagar-- 25 for this Hagar is Mount Sinai in Arabia, and corresponds to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children-- 26 but the Jerusalem above is free, which is the mother of us all. Galatians 4:9-26

... But now after you have known God, or rather are known by God, how is it that you turn again to the weak and beggarly elements, to which you desire again to be in bondage? 10 You observe days and months and seasons and years. 11 I am afraid for you, lest I have labored for you in vain.

44 Then He said to them, "These are the words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things must be fulfilled which were written in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms concerning Me."

Jesus Fulfilled the Law! Jesus was born under the Law.

Jesus did not keep the Law of Moses.

The Law was for the lawless.

What was the purpose of the Law?

It was set up with a priesthood and sacrifices and special laws.

One of which was to stone an adulteress to death!

Jesus was a Priest after the order of Melchizedek!

He did not need to keep the law of Moses, He was, Is and forever will be sinless!

What purpose then does the law serve? It was added because of transgressions,till the Seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was appointed through angels by the hand of a mediator.

What law did Jesus transgress?

Those that try and use Hebrew language and wear Hebrew costumes and try and learn Hebrew so the can try and keep the law of Moses are walking in deception.

Whether the excuse is for salvation or because that is what they believe the Apostles did or if they believe Jesus kept the law of Moses, it's bondage!

... how is it that you turn again to the weak and beggarly elements, to which you desire again to be in bondage?

JLB

The only part of the law that was "righteous" on the part of man was the sacrifiice. Just as Able unto Abrahm was righteous by the sacrifice. For the written code was to bring them to the sacrifice just as the law brings us to Christ.
Psa 4:5
So those who attempt to keep the written code are rejecting that Christ was the sacrifice. For the sacrifice was the picture of faith in His Blood.

Considering that Paul says Gentiles were GRAFTED ONTO the olive tree, it suggests that there WAS a remnant to graft ONTO.

Yes, if that is indeed what he meant. I thought that we, each one, understood Jesus to be the tree and those who follow to be the branch. So that it was a branch that was cut? That is what I read in Rom 11:17, Jer 11:16, John 15:1, John 15:2 and in other places. While speaking of 'trees' there were two olive trees, one wild and one cultivated, but that is a different metaphor and may not be used to show that other Scriptures make no sense. I personally very much like the Jer 11:16 and use it to light up other scripture about branches: Peter 4:18, Proverbs 11:31, 1 Timothy 1:9

I brought this up vs Mitspa's warped idea of Pauline interpretation that "no one was just", etc...
this is basic calvinist doctrine.

Last edited by a moderator:
yea its called those who are led of the Spirit, ARE THE SONS OF GOD. there is no other.

The jew in the flesh is nothing and those who look to the written code are just in error.

Now, this tells us that there WERE righteous people that Christians were being grafted onto. People who WERE JUST in God's eyes. People who lived by faith, people using the Law as a guideline and working with the Spirit of God within them. In other words, righteousness did not just begin with Pauline times. This is what I have been struggling to tell you, but you will not listen. There have ALWAYS been righteous people, a remnant, that God has preserved who live by faith.

Thus, your interpretation of Romans 3 cannot be correct. Even the Psalms Paul cites. You should actually read them. You will find WITHIN THEM examples of people who are seeking God! Paul cannot possibly mean literally 'no one seeks God' when the very Psalm he is citing says "I seek out God" (can't refer to Christ when it speaks about "you removed my sins")

What¿ That dont even make biblical sense!

Sure, I just made up Romans 11 and added it to everyone's bible while you were sleeping last night... :lol

Of course it is biblical. Are not the Gentiles grafted in? Grafted in where, Mitspa??? Grafted into an already-existing olive tree. Righteous Jews who were living by faith. THAT is the eschatological community, the Church. Jews and Christians walking by faith in obedience to God's Will. Those who disobey are chopped off, Jew or Gentile.

How were they righteous, Mitspa? By their own works? As usual, you have whittled down the gospel to one of "faith v the written code". You have provided nothing new. I have provided further evidence that Jews WERE righteous, and without even "works righteousness" being involved!

ANYONE who knows something about Judaism knows that they believed that they were righteous as a result of the gift of election. Are you denying that election is part and parcel of the Jewish religion???

Your misinterpretation has already been proven and noted.

As I have said before if you desire to stand before God in your own righteousness by the law? Feel free!

Why such an amateurish response? Are you that desperate? All you can do is give me recycled rubbish. Nowhere have I stated anything about returning to the righteousness earned from the Law.

Election is not something earned, it is granted, freely by God. The remnant were righteous in God's eyes. Accept it. Unless you can prove otherwise.

I will stand with Paul and the gospel "NOT HAVING MY OWN RIGHTEOUSNESS, WHICH IS BY THE LAW, BUT THE THAT WHICH IS THROUGH FAITH IN CHRIST, THE RIGHTEOUSNESS WHICH IS OF GOD by faith Php 3:9

You are not standing with Paul, you are standing on human traditions. What did Peter say about those who distort Paul?

I must warn you, I dont think He will be very happy with those who go about to establish their own righteousness (by the torah) and have not submitted to His Righteousness. Rom 10:3-4

I am not worried about your warnings.

Do you know what a red herring is? How about a strawman? Do us a favor and look them up so you can begin to actually respond maturely to my posts. I come here to learn more about my faith and share it with others, not to constantly listen to some person tilting against windmills of his own creation and bringing out his one trick pony.

Yes, if that is indeed what he meant. I thought that we, each one, understood Jesus to be the tree and those who follow to be the branch. So that it was a branch that was cut? That is what I read in Rom 11:17, Jer 11:16, John 15:1, John 15:2 and in other places. While speaking of 'trees' there were two olive trees, one wild and one cultivated, but that is a different metaphor and may not be used to show that other Scriptures make no sense. I personally very much like the Jer 11:16 and use it to light up other scripture about branches: Peter 4:18, Proverbs 11:31, 1 Timothy 1:9

I brought this up vs Mitspa's warped idea of Pauline interpretation that "no one was just", etc...
this is basic calvinist doctrine.

You are literally losing it, dude. Give up while you are behind before you bury yourself...

Predestination of the nations is Pauline, it is not Calvinistic. Calvin preached INDIVIDUAL election AND individual election to reprobation.

I suggest you read Romans 9-11 for the first time. You will find your world rocked, but it needs to be, at this point.

And before you start complaining about insults, the only thing that I have "insulted" is your understanding of Paul. It is horrendous. We won't even mention your complete lack of knowledge of the Old Testament, apparent in your inability to see that the Psalms REPEATEDLY shoot down your interpretations. I have listed several already, would you like another 3 or 4???

Hypocrite? Look to your own beam, brother. Keep your warnings and your "preaching" to yourself if your theology can't handle criticism. We are on an Apologetic site, not a Soap Box site for Mitspa.

9 But now after you have known God, or rather are known by God, how is it that you turn again to the weak and beggarly elements, to which you desire again to be in bondage? 10 You observe days and months and seasons and years. 11 I am afraid for you, lest I have labored for you in vain. 12 Brethren, I urge you to become like me, for I became like you. You have not injured me at all. 13 You know that because of physical infirmity I preached the gospel to you at the first. 14 And my trial which was in my flesh you did not despise or reject, but you received me as an angel of God, even as Christ Jesus. 15 What then was the blessing you enjoyed? For I bear you witness that, if possible, you would have plucked out your own eyes and given them to me. 16 Have I therefore become your enemy because I tell you the truth? 17 They zealously court you, but for no good; yes, they want to exclude you, that you may be zealous for them. 18 But it is good to be zealous in a good thing always, and not only when I am present with you. 19 My little children, for whom I labor in birth again until Christ is formed in you, 20 I would like to be present with you now and to change my tone; for I have doubts about you. 21 Tell me, you who desire to be under the law, do you not hear the law? 22 For it is written that Abraham had two sons: the one by a bondwoman, the other by a freewoman. 23 But he who was of the bondwoman was born according to the flesh, and he of the freewoman through promise, 24 which things are symbolic. For these are the two covenants: the one from Mount Sinai which gives birth to bondage, which is Hagar-- 25 for this Hagar is Mount Sinai in Arabia, and corresponds to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children-- 26 but the Jerusalem above is free, which is the mother of us all. Galatians 4:9-26

... But now after you have known God, or rather are known by God, how is it that you turn again to the weak and beggarly elements, to which you desire again to be in bondage? 10 You observe days and months and seasons and years. 11 I am afraid for you, lest I have labored for you in vain.

44 Then He said to them, "These are the words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things must be fulfilled which were written in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms concerning Me."

He did not need to keep the law of Moses, He was, Is and forever will be sinless!

What purpose then does the law serve? It was added because of transgressions,till the Seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was appointed through angels by the hand of a mediator.

Those that try and use Hebrew language and wear Hebrew costumes and try and learn Hebrew so the can try and keep the law of Moses are walking in deception.

Whether the excuse is for salvation or because that is what they believe the Apostles did or if they believe Jesus kept the law of Moses, it's bondage!

... how is it that you turn again to the weak and beggarly elements, to which you desire again to be in bondage?

JLB
The temple, priesthood, and sacrifices, and symbols of the law are the weak, beggarly things that have been laid aside as being obsolete now that the work of Christ does what they could not do. The remaining requirements of the law, 'do not murder', 'do not steal', etc., summed up in 'love your neighbor as yourself' are not the weak and beggarly things Paul is talking about and are what faith literally upholds in this New Covenant.

Nice - I agree with your last paragraph - how can Romans 2:14 refer to the Mosaic Law, since pagans did not have it? Clearly, the Law Paul is talking about there is what you and I call "Natural Law". An eternal and objective law of God based upon what is pleasing to Him on a more generic scale accessible to all men via their conscience.

Regards
To me the law written on the hearts of those who don't possess the literal written law is the requirements of the law that all men know through conscience and nature.

...if one says that the Mosaic Law has passed away, isn't it similar to saying that the Magna Carta has passed away, although we as Americans are bound to the Constitution, which takes up principles found within the Magna Carta? Although the Magna Carta has "passed away", the principles found within it are still binding within the new "Law".
The problem with the analogy--and I know no analogy is perfect--is the Constitution does not fulfill the Magna Carta the way that faith fulfills the requirements of the law of Moses, upholding them, not replacing them. Jesus clearly said he did not come to abolish the law, but to fulfill it. Now I know little about Magna Carta, but I assume the Constitution does the Magna Carta better, and so in that way I see the analogy applying to the requirements of God in the law of Moses and the requirements of God that faith upholds.

To the Jew, the Mosaic Law WAS the Wisdom of God codified. On a cosmic scale. Christians are saying that Jesus Christ replaces that ideal - in the flesh - the pre-existing Word. Of course, the means of pleasing God, the principles of Torah, have not also passed away, since Christ taught that these principles remain and have ALWAYS been present in HIMSELF - and following those principles fulfill the principles of the Mosaic Law.

Thoughts?
The WAY of the Mosaic Law has passed, not it's requirements. Some requirements are fulfilled in Christ and need no ongoing literal fulfillment by us, while others do require an ongoing literal fulfillment, but in the end all the law is satisfied by faith in Christ.

The essential change from old to New Covenant is the SYSTEM of law, the WAY of relating to God, has 'passed away'. The requirements of the law have not changed, the WAY they get kept has changed.

"6 But now we have been released from the (authority, the way of) Law, having died to that by which we were bound, so that we serve in newness of the Spirit and not in oldness of the letter." (Romans 2:6 NASB)

JLB
The temple, priesthood, and sacrifices, and symbols of the law are the weak, beggarly things that have been laid aside as being obsolete now that the work of Christ does what they could not do. The remaining requirements of the law, 'do not murder', 'do not steal', etc., summed up in 'love your neighbor as yourself' are not the weak and beggarly things Paul is talking about and are what faith literally upholds in this New Covenant.

That would be called God's Law. The Law of the Lord.

God is Love!

JLB

For we have come into the Glorious Liberty of the sons of God.

Not bound by fleshly rules and fleshly laws.
Which means I don't have to acknowledge or keep any of the fleshly rules and fleshly laws of the law of Moses that I've been listing?

Wouldn't that be returning to husband 'flesh' I'm no longer married to and, therefore, don't have to submit to anymore (because he died)?

Help me understand your doctrine of law in this New Covenant.

First of all, I would like for you and I to get past this nonsense of having No Laws whatsoever because we are under Grace. That mindset is that of the lawless.

I would have hoped by now that you don't have me "lumped" into that mainstream Christian Mindset.

We who are married to Him who is resurrected from the dead are held to a "Higher Standard" than those who were under the Law of Moses.

28 Anyone who has rejected Moses' law dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. 29 Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace? Hebrews 10:28-29

By what law are we held more accountable than those who were under the Law of Moses?

The Law of requirement!

To whom much is given, much is required.

If the Laws of Moses were applicable to us in whom the Nature of Christ dwells, then what was the purpose of Him fulfilling the Law of Moses, so that now we are one with Him who was raised from the dead, that is to say we are married to Him who was raised from the dead and are no longer under the law of our former husband, for we share His life, Eternal Life for now we know him and are joined to Him.

For it is written -

We have been raised together with Him and been made to sit with Him in heavenly places.

We will always be subject to the laws of His Kingdom, as well as to obey Him in what He asks of us.

JLB
I'm honestly not trying to be mean, but I don't see any of this being of any value to someone who is honestly wanting to know what changed between the old and the new in regard to the law and what they should or shouldn't be doing.

You asked me to cut and paste the laws I felt we are expected to keep in this New Covenant. I did that, and I could do more. I would like a simple answer to the questions:

Did they pass away, or not? If they did pass away, why? And when did that happen?

I thought you might start to head in the direction where I think the answer lies, but you didn't. The WAY of keeping the requirements of God has changed, not the requirements themselves. Faith upholds the law of Moses.

Some requirements of God were satisfied one time for all time when we placed our trust in Christ (and they continue to stay satisfied as long as we continue in faith). Some requirements of God are satisfied by us literally when our faith in Christ finds it's expression through the fruit of the Spirit (love, faithfulness, patience, kindness, forgiveness) in loving acts towards others. But in the end, all the requirements of God are fulfilled, met, kept, satisfied by our faith in Christ. The WAY to serve God has changed, not the requirements of God.

I really would like you to answer the questions:

The laws I posted , did they pass away, or not? If they did pass away, why? And when did that happen?

Jethro said:

God is Love!

When I keep God's law, does the law of Moses get satisfied, too?

Jethro said:

God is Love!

When I keep God's law, does the law of Moses get satisfied, too?

The Law of Moses has vanished away.

Why do you desire to satisfy the weak and beggarly elements, and to be in bondage.

You are now sons of God. Show me in the law of Moses that provides for this.

Under the Law you were a slave, now you are a son.

Please read Galatians 4.

JLB

It (Mosaic Law - FDS added) will be how we will be judged and weighted on. Lets use the CJB.

Romans 2:12-13 All who have sinned outside the framework of Torah will die outside the framework of Torah; and all who have sinned within the framework of Torah will be judged by Torah. 13 For it is not merely the hearers of Torah whom God considers righteous; rather, it is the doers of what Torah says who will be made righteous in God’s sight.

James 2:12 Keep speaking and acting like people who will be judged by a Torah which gives freedom.

James 1:25 But if a person looks closely into the perfect Torah, which gives freedom, and continues, becoming not a forgetful hearer but a doer of the work it requires, then he will be blessed in what he does.

The meaning of the Torah could not have changed with Christ. Or why would Paul and James always refer back to it and its works?

I believe that "Torah" here does not mean "Mosaic Law". Torah is God's Wisdom - Judaism's interpretation at a COSMIC level. Something that has always existed. Proverbs 8, the personification of Wisdom (and John 1) is Jesus Christ. HE IS the true Torah. The Mosaic Law has been put aside as a legally binding "document", but the PRINCIPLES found within the Mosaic Law - what I am calling "Torah" - has pre-existed creation. That is the Jewish view, and I agree. I also agree that Jesus Christ has replaced this notion and clarified it, made it known. During OT times, it was ambiguous. With Christ, it has been revealed from above.

Paul and James refer back to the overriding principles found within the Mosaic Law, but these principles did not ORIGINATE with Moses. "Love your neighbor" is an idea that has no "beginning", if we consider this as the Wisdom of God personified by Jesus Christ, Whom also has no beginning.

Hosea 6:6 For what I desire is mercy, not sacrifices, knowledge of God more than burnt offerings.

This is exactly what the Epistles are largely about in the above verse. Salvation apart from having a saving relationship with God. Salvation by works was not a NT idea. But God never said to disregard the sacrifices. Love and mercy took precedence over sacrifices.

Agree, God desired the Mosaic cult during OT times (a SHADOW of the good things to come - Hebrews lays all of this out) IN ADDITION to the inner conversion of the heart. THAT is the point of the sacrificial cult of Judaism before 70 AD. "Do I (God) desire blood"? Of course not, the animals and trees are all His. What God desires is a contrite heart. The sacrifice is SUPPOSED to lead to that. Now, the sacrifice has changed and there is no more need for animal sacrifices, which only was a temporary cult until the Christ came, Who is Priest AND Victim.

No, salvation is not by works. But is faith and seeking God a "work"? Does one who has this faith seek self-justification? No, "we" rely on God's mercy. The Psalms are covered with such talk.

And this is another question for this thread, why did Ezekiel spend 9 chapters speaking about the temple system again in the millennium? Will the Torah have passed, or be observed in the millennium?

I would imagine he was speaking with words that Jews would understand, but implying more a metaphorical tone.

We are in the end-times. The Temple was destroyed as a sign that its over and done.

Again, Hebrews lays out how the Aaronic priesthood has been superceded by the line of Melchezidek.

Regards
What is the Law of Moses? Is it solely the 613 mitzvahs? Apart from the temple, Israel, Kings, Priests, etc, there are only maybe roughly 200 or so commandments that can be observed today. These are typically divided into positive and negative instructions. I am sure you have heard of arguing "halakah" and legal rulings based on the Mosaic Law. So of the estimated 200 do's and do nots, why have we decided which ones apply to us and which ones don't? Who gives us the authority to do that?

The Jerusalem Council was entirely Jewish in its scope and practice, and they determined those 4 things in Acts 15 as a starting point for Gentiles as the Law of Moses is taught every Shabbat. This means new believers were told to start with these 4 basic things and they would learn more as time goes on. They never gave them a specific list of what is or isn't relevant, so why do we make those same lists ourselves? Could it be we are so encapsulated with our church's "traditions" and wouldn't think about going against popular thought, even when the bible says otherwise?

Again I will use the point, if the Sinai Covenant was only for the Jews, what makes you think the New Covenant is for you either? Yes the Law of Moses was to set Israel above the nations. But it was to allow inclusion for foreigners to worship the God of Israel.
Not bound by fleshly rules and fleshly laws.
The very commandments Adonai spoke to Moses is now being equated to fleshly rules and laws? Good luck obtaining your own righteousness.

Romans 10:3 For not knowing about God’s righteousness and seeking to establish their own, they did not subject themselves to the righteousness of God.

Psalms 119:142 Your righteousness is an everlasting righteousness, And Your law is truth.

I don't understand: Where did it need to be taught, and why?

In the statement I made, I said -- when they do what the law requires, they are a law; otherwise not.
I didn't say, when they read and obeyed the law ... ? if that's what you are after ?

The very fact that they did it -- and God responded to them -- is what gives it the scope of Law; For God looked with FAVOR on Abel's sacrifice. God need not have looked with favor on any sacrifice at all. So, rather than a law being "taught" before that time, the events of Cain and Abel point to the law being "discovered" or one that is natural being "affirmed." (It may have been discovered by Adam and taught to the children... But we're not told that.)

I don't know if you have children, Ryan, but in my experience I give my children good things to eat. And the child intrinsically notices that I "hand" them a strawberry, or an ice-cream bar. Then something surprising happens, the child will lift up the strawberry or ice cream bar back to me, or possibly go to their mother; repeating the same action of my giving it to them to one of us. It's an "offering", but the child doesn't actually wish to give it up (they are emotionally torn by the action). The *action* itself, though, is an acknowledgement on their part of a consciousness of where this "good" thing came from.

Notably; the act doesn't happen when they are given something they don't like.

Now, in the Law there is this thing that Moses Codifies:
Exodu 29:26 And thou shalt take the breast of the ram of Aaron's consecration, and wave it for a wave offering before the LORD: and it shall be thy part.
Exodu 29:27 And thou shalt sanctify the breast of the wave offering, and the shoulder of the heave offering, which is waved, and which is heaved up, of the ram of the consecration, even of that which is for Aaron, and of that which is for his sons:
Exodu 29:28 And it shall be Aaron's and his sons' by a statute for ever from the children of Israel: for it is an heave offering: and it shall be an heave offering from the children of Israel of the sacrifice of their peace offerings, even their heave offering unto the LORD.

My children, although not Jews, automatically perform the same basic idea; albeit "imperfectly" if the Law of Moses is taken to be the "standard." ; They do something that the law requires;

Where does this "law" come from ? It comes from a tradition based on reason, the simple reason of a child.
That's where the "law" of Moses is really codifying what is in Genesis; not creating a new law.
OTOH: Pagans can read the law of Moses, and though -- not part of the covenant -- emulate those laws.
In the diaspora, the laws of the Jews were mingled with the nations around them. Israel was "FORCED" to be a *dim* light to the nations even in their shame.

Ryan, I fail to see what this has to do with any of my discussion.
I said "when they do what the law requires" -- I never said "when they read the law" ...
To be sure, there were definitions -- based on example, not statutes; which I have stated many times before in the thread.

There was also at least one statute: Genes 2:16-17

And the very passage you are citing, is a definition of a sin. The Hebrew, there, as far as I am concerned is missing a word or two/ or is obscure to the point of uninterpretable;
The particular rendering you are giving, happens to be the one a translator of the Catholic Church, Jerome, gave it -- and his translation is based on a theological interpolation; for the text simply was too obscure -- but he had to translate *something* there.

In the Greek, the passage can be read like this:
Genes 4:7
ουκ εαν ορθως προσ-ενεγκ-ης
not [determined]-if [you] rightly offered-before

ορθως δε μη διελ-ης η-μαρτ-ες
rightly but not [you]cut-before [you]wandered(impf)

The idea expressed is roughly:
if you didn't rightly cut, then you didn't rightly offer. You sinned (wandered).

There is some innuendo that I am perhaps not translating but I think the translation sufficient to make my point; and now I would like you to consider the Hebrew translation you have; The only thing really missing in your version is the definition of "sin". Here in the Greek the definition is clear ... sinning (wandering, missing the target ) is an unsteady knife.

The innuendo I haven't translated (gut reaction) related to "sin knocking at the door" is associated with things like: The tent door is where the passover blood was applied, and is a metaphor/sign of the human body -- these human tabernacles/tents of flesh... etc.) but that's a long discussion not appropriate here... I only want to suggest further meditation/study.

There is very credible historical evidence that Genesis was handed down orally, and later written down.
There are accounts, for example the "Enuma Elish" which has the elements of Genesis ( written down for a different purpose, and with political spin ) showing a philosophical debate between Israel and Babylon over their historical understanding of the law. Two different viewpoints showing evidence of copying something more ancient.

I give the following translation as an example, and note: the translation is interpolated and inaccurate in places -- I checked it some years ago.
Do not attempt to use it as is, as an interpretive text; it's just an example.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/ane/enuma.htm

One element of importance: It is written down on seven tablets. eg: the same as the number of "days" in the Genesis creation account? etc.
There are also other texts which record the flood of Noe; and the *same* sacrificial rites, clean/unclean, the smoke rising to God. etc.

The differences from Genesis show these other nations had different concerns in their preservation of the stories; but the similarities, even in people's names, betray the fact that they have a common origin. An oral tradition.

They were all saved by their faith, but you see their righteous actions at work. They heeded and responded to God's instructions at that time and were obedient. That is what Law means. It means God's instructions, not a set of judicial and criminal terminology that puts a negative connotation to it. Maybe I'll start quoting from the CJB. God gave Sinai at that particular time for a particular people in his infinite wisdom for a particular purpose.
Do you see what I am saying, somehow, in opposition to something you are saying? I'm trying to figure out how your last paragraph, here, relates to the thesis: "They are a law unto themselves when they do as the law requires." ; where I am stipulating that the "law" of Moses (not Genesis) is the particular emphasis of the sentence in Romans 2:14. There is a mixture of things explicit in the law, some of which are found in Genesis -- but without the guidance of the Law of Moses.

It may be that Drew, or others, will attempt to use this to make a distinction of "laws added to multiply sin"; but I'm undecided on that; for I think by now you realize I don't shallowly interpret Paul and many obstacles remain before his "wisdom" 2Peter 3:15 can be exhausted; Shallow interpretation is simply not going to work.
Maybe I have completely missed your point and the initial argument or statement. What was the main point we were trying to discuss?

I believe that "Torah" here does not mean "Mosaic Law". Torah is God's Wisdom - Judaism's interpretation at a COSMIC level. Something that has always existed. Proverbs 8, the personification of Wisdom (and John 1) is Jesus Christ. HE IS the true Torah. The Mosaic Law has been put aside as a legally binding "document", but the PRINCIPLES found within the Mosaic Law - what I am calling "Torah" - has pre-existed creation. That is the Jewish view, and I agree. I also agree that Jesus Christ has replaced this notion and clarified it, made it known. During OT times, it was ambiguous. With Christ, it has been revealed from above.

Paul and James refer back to the overriding principles found within the Mosaic Law, but these principles did not ORIGINATE with Moses. "Love your neighbor" is an idea that has no "beginning", if we consider this as the Wisdom of God personified by Jesus Christ, Whom also has no beginning.

Agree, God desired the Mosaic cult during OT times (a SHADOW of the good things to come - Hebrews lays all of this out) IN ADDITION to the inner conversion of the heart. THAT is the point of the sacrificial cult of Judaism before 70 AD. "Do I (God) desire blood"? Of course not, the animals and trees are all His. What God desires is a contrite heart. The sacrifice is SUPPOSED to lead to that. Now, the sacrifice has changed and there is no more need for animal sacrifices, which only was a temporary cult until the Christ came, Who is Priest AND Victim.

No, salvation is not by works. But is faith and seeking God a "work"? Does one who has this faith seek self-justification? No, "we" rely on God's mercy. The Psalms are covered with such talk.

And this is another question for this thread, why did Ezekiel spend 9 chapters speaking about the temple system again in the millennium? Will the Torah have passed, or be observed in the millennium?

I would imagine he was speaking with words that Jews would understand, but implying more a metaphorical tone.

We are in the end-times. The Temple was destroyed as a sign that its over and done.

Again, Hebrews lays out how the Aaronic priesthood has been superceded by the line of Melchezidek.

Regards
What is the Law of Moses? Is it solely the 613 and mitzvahs? Apart from the temple, Israel, Kings, Priests, etc, there are only maybe roughly 200 or so commandments that can be observed today. These are typically divided into positive and negative instructions. I am sure you have heard of arguing "halakah" and legal rulings based on the Mosaic Law. So of the estimated 200 do's and do nots, why have we decided which ones apply to us and which ones don't? Who gives us the authority to do that?

The Jerusalem Council was entirely Jewish in its scope and practice, and they determined those 4 things in Acts 15 as a starting point for Gentiles as the Law of Moses is taught every Shabbat. This means new believers were told to start with these 4 basic things and they would learn more as time goes on. They never gave them a specific list of what is or isn't relevant, so why do we make those same lists ourselves? Could it be we are so encapsulated with our church's "traditions" and wouldn't think about going against popular thought, even when the bible says otherwise?

That is what is taught by Messianic Judaism to validate there belief that one must keep the Law of Moses.

The truth for all to see is plain and clear -

They wrote this letter by them: The apostles, the elders, and the brethren, To the brethren who are of the Gentiles in Antioch, Syria, and Cilicia: Greetings. 24 Since we have heard that some who went out from us have troubled you with words, unsettling your souls, saying, "You must be circumcised and keep the law"--to whom we gave no such commandment-- 25 it seemed good to us, being assembled with one accord, to send chosen men to you with our beloved Barnabas and Paul, 26 men who have risked their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. 27 We have therefore sent Judas and Silas, who will also report the same things by word of mouth. 28 For it seemed good to the Holy Spirit, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things: 29 that you abstain from things offered to idols, from blood, from things strangled, and from sexual immorality. If you keep yourselves from these, you will do well. Farewell. Acts 15:23-29

Read what the conclusion of the matter was -

"You must be circumcised and keep the law"--to whom we gave no such commandment--

It does not say anything about the motive
for circumcision and keeping the law, whether for salvation or for what ever reason.

It clearly was written to all -

We gave no such commandment to keep the law! Period no explanation required.

We gave no such commandment to be circumcised!
Period no explanation required.

James even explains - For Moses has had throughout many generations those who preach him in every city, being read in the synagogues every Sabbath."

James refers to the past, has had.

No salvation has ever come to any Gentiles by the preaching of Moses.

Gentiles were forbidden in the Temple area.

Paul almost lost his life we accused of bringing Gentiles into the Temple area.

Those that call themselves Messianic Judaism will try and teach that new Gentile converts were to be taught how to keep the law of Moses in Synagogs, of all things.

Did you hear that. They, [Messianic Judaism] say verse 21 means that the Jerusalem council intended for new Gentile Christians converts to continue to be "taught" the law of Moses in Synagogs by Rabbis who hate Christians and Gentiles!

Not discipled in the Teachings and ways of Christ by Paul, but they say verse 21 means that new Gentile Christians were to be taught the Law of Moses by unsaved Rabbis in a Synagog!

JLB

For not knowing about God’s righteousness and seeking to establish their own, they did not subject themselves to the righteousness of God.

1 Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is that they may be saved. 2 For I bear them witness that they have a zeal for God, but not according to knowledge. 3 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and seeking to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted to the righteousness of God. 4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes. Romans 10:1-3

It appears you intended to use this scripture against me, suggesting that I do not subject myself to the righteousness of God, which you say is through the law.

Looks like the shoe is on the other foot.

JLB

Sure, I just made up Romans 11 and added it to everyone's bible while you were sleeping last night... :lol

Of course it is biblical. Are not the Gentiles grafted in? Grafted in where, Mitspa??? Grafted into an already-existing olive tree. Righteous Jews who were living by faith. THAT is the eschatological community, the Church. Jews and Christians walking by faith in obedience to God's Will. Those who disobey are chopped off, Jew or Gentile.

How were they righteous, Mitspa? By their own works? As usual, you have whittled down the gospel to one of "faith v the written code". You have provided nothing new. I have provided further evidence that Jews WERE righteous, and without even "works righteousness" being involved!

ANYONE who knows something about Judaism knows that they believed that they were righteous as a result of the gift of election. Are you denying that election is part and parcel of the Jewish religion???

Your misinterpretation has already been proven and noted.

Why such an amateurish response? Are you that desperate? All you can do is give me recycled rubbish. Nowhere have I stated anything about returning to the righteousness earned from the Law.

Election is not something earned, it is granted, freely by God. The remnant were righteous in God's eyes. Accept it. Unless you can prove otherwise.

You are not standing with Paul, you are standing on human traditions. What did Peter say about those who distort Paul?

I am not worried about your warnings.

Do you know what a red herring is? How about a strawman? Do us a favor and look them up so you can begin to actually respond maturely to my posts. I come here to learn more about my faith and share it with others, not to constantly listen to some person tilting against windmills of his own creation and bringing out his one trick pony.
Of course you reject basic calvinist doctrine! your a catholic.
So whats new it that?
My doctrines are those of Luther and Calvin in very large part. Of course you reject them! You would have to deny your own religion.

Now that no man is justified before God by the law is EVIDENT. Luther seen this, Calvin seen this, any honest man can see this. IT IS EVIDENT.

Nice - I agree with your last paragraph - how can Romans 2:14 refer to the Mosaic Law, since pagans did not have it? Clearly, the Law Paul is talking about there is what you and I call "Natural Law". An eternal and objective law of God based upon what is pleasing to Him on a more generic scale accessible to all men via their conscience.

Regards
To me the law written on the hearts of those who don't possess the literal written law is the requirements of the law that all men know through conscience and nature.

Agree completely. God has placed knowledge of this within everyone. Paul so much as states this in Romans 1 - thus, they have no excuse.

Catholics call this "natural law", since it is not dependent upon divine revelation (which would be the Bible)

Regards

...if one says that the Mosaic Law has passed away, isn't it similar to saying that the Magna Carta has passed away, although we as Americans are bound to the Constitution, which takes up principles found within the Magna Carta? Although the Magna Carta has "passed away", the principles found within it are still binding within the new "Law".
The problem with the analogy--and I know no analogy is perfect--is the Constitution does not fulfill the Magna Carta the way that faith fulfills the requirements of the law of Moses, upholding them, not replacing them. Jesus clearly said he did not come to abolish the law, but to fulfill it. Now I know little about Magna Carta, but I assume the Constitution does the Magna Carta better, and so in that way I see the analogy applying to the requirements of God in the law of Moses and the requirements of God that faith upholds.

You are correct, the analogy only goes so far.

I also agree that faith fulfills the requirements of the Mosaic Law. Nor do I believe that there is a simple "replacement", since much of the ethical codes are built upon in Christianity. New ones are not brought in and the old tossed in the garbage. We still teach not to kill - but to a greater degree to include "name-calling".

Jesus did not come to abolish the Law's principles. But He does lay the groundwork to begin removing the LEGALITY that binds believers to IT. Rather than being bound to obedience to God. Jesus HIMSELF replaces the Law.

To the Jew, the Mosaic Law WAS the Wisdom of God codified. On a cosmic scale. Christians are saying that Jesus Christ replaces that ideal - in the flesh - the pre-existing Word. Of course, the means of pleasing God, the principles of Torah, have not also passed away, since Christ taught that these principles remain and have ALWAYS been present in HIMSELF - and following those principles fulfill the principles of the Mosaic Law.

Thoughts?
The WAY of the Mosaic Law has passed, not it's requirements. Some requirements are fulfilled in Christ and need no ongoing literal fulfillment by us, while others do require an ongoing literal fulfillment, but in the end all the law is satisfied by faith in Christ.

This sounds like semantics. We probably are on the same page. The requirements of the Mosaic Law includes washing your hands, kettles, plates, etc... I would imagine you would agree that this has passed away.

What remains, in my opinion, is what was already there before Moses came down off Mt. Sinai. The principles of loving God and neighbor. While these are certainly in the Mosaic Law and codified, the ideals existed long before Moses. Thus, if the Mosaic Law has lost legal binding power, it doesn't follow that all things in the Mosaic Law are worthless, since SOME things preceded the Mosaic Law, and God's ETERNAL Law has not passed away.

God is STILL pleased with man's response of faith. No one can please God without faith in Him. God STILL regards love of neighbor as a key response to Him. Whether the Mosaic Law is done or not, that principle remains.

The essential change from old to New Covenant is the SYSTEM of law, the WAY of relating to God, has 'passed away'. The requirements of the law have not changed, the WAY they get kept has changed.

"6 But now we have been released from the (authority, the way of) Law, having died to that by which we were bound, so that we serve in newness of the Spirit and not in oldness of the letter." (Romans 2:6 NASB)

The Mosaic Law laid out a plethora of requirements. Many of those requirements have no legally binding status. For anyone, even Jews. Would you agree with that?

If so, the Mosaic Law can be seen as passed away as a legally binding contract/covenant. But the principles within the Mosaic Law have been taken up in the Law of Christ.

It is complex, yes...

Regards

Back