Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

When did the Law pass or has it passed away?

Psa 119:10 With my whole heart have I sought thee: O let me not wander from thy commandments.
Psa 119:11 Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.
Psa 119:12 Blessed art thou, O LORD: teach me thy statutes.
Psa 119:13 With my lips have I declared all the judgments of thy mouth.
Psa 119:14 I have rejoiced in the way of thy testimonies, as much as in all riches.
Psa 119:15 I will meditate in thy precepts, and have respect unto thy ways.
Psa 119:16 I will delight myself in thy statutes: I will not forget thy word.

Just to continue in this happy vein...

Psa 19:7 The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.
Psa 19:8 The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.
Psa 19:9 The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether.
Psa 19:10 More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.
Psa 19:11 Moreover by them is thy servant warned: and in keeping of them there is great reward.
Psa 19:12 Who can understand his errors? cleanse thou me from secret faults.
Psa 19:13 Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me: then shall I be upright, and I shall be innocent from the great transgression.
Psa 19:14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

Here's a link that may lead to profitable discussion on the subject. The site that hosts is "BibleStudyTools.com" The subject begins with a comparison of the various versions and translations of Romans 3:31 and continues to give stated thoughts by such notables as Matthew Henry Commentary on the Whole Bible (Concise) and what I believe is a quoted section from Jamieson, Fausset, Brown's Bible Commentary Critical and Explanatory.

The link is included here to broaden the spectrum of our conversation as we consider the fact that this, our subject is part of an ancient conversation that will continue beyond our scope here into the minds and hearts of others.

Some have asked, "will their want of faith make God break faith?" and then answered, "Heaven forbid!"

Psa 19:7 The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.
Psa 19:8 The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.
Psa 19:9 The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether.
Psa 19:10 More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.
Psa 19:11 Moreover by them is thy servant warned: and in keeping of them there is great reward.
Psa 19:13 Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me: then shall I be upright, and I shall be innocent from the great transgression.
Psa 19:14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

What are you implying.

That somehow these Laws and commandments and statutes Precepts were brand new at Mt Sanai?

The Laws that governed the Abrahamic Covenant can not be changed by the law of Moses. These laws were seen in Moses Law which was temporary.

JLB

Moses Law was given to govern that covenant.

When the Covenat was replaced by The New, the laws that were in place to govern that Covernant were also removed.

What remained is what was in place before the Law was added.

JLB

When the Covenat was replaced by The New, the laws that were in place to govern that Covernant were also removed.

JLB
When do you suppose that Covenant was made?

JLB
When do you suppose that Covenant was made?

430 years before the Law of Moses

What are you implying.
If this question had been directed at me I would answer like this...
Psa 19:14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer

Not trying to be arguemeantive trying to make a the point ... something like we know what is right not on our own but because God has put these in our heart and our minds

Mar 12:30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.
Mar 12:31 And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

The law of the Lord? Jesus is my Lord.. His Word says He is the same yesterday today and tomorrow.... So very often I miss this how much nicer sweeter my life could be....

Psa 19:14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer !

Wow if we hid that in our hearts we would have no need for mods!

Drew? We both know that we're not talking puppies here. We are speaking about a loving God who has made provision for all his children. Some (and I dare say most) may not understand the principles of God in the same manner you do today when they are first saved. Has this not been your experience too? Or has that escaped your notice. I can not believe that to be the case.
My point about the puppies remains valid - the person with the Spirit will know not to kick puppies without needing a law.

The kind of analysis you provide does not support the claim that the Law of Moses is still in force. You appear to be making a non-Biblical argument that surely God must have provided "rules" for all peoples. Well that sounds nice, but is it true Biblically? Yes, Paul speaks about human beings in general being "aware of God and his moral demands on them" (Romans 1). But that is not the same thing as giving a law.

There is no Biblical evidence that the Law of Moses was given to any people other than the 12 tiribes of Israel.

As to the rest of your post: I have, of course, never denied that the same underlying "principles" that inform the Law of Moses are not still principles by which we should live. But a set of abstract principles is not a law.

The OP asked about the Law of Moses (at least on my understanding of the OP). I believe the Biblical case is clear: It has been retired / set aside.

Arguments that appeal to common sense are not necessarily Biblical arguments. Just because it seems "common-sensical" that the Law of Moses has stuff relevant to all humans does mean that it was given to all mankind. Or that it remains in force. Yes, God gave the Law of Moses. But He gave it to Jews only. And it has been retired.In fact, Paul (in Romans 5) speaks about a time from Adam to Moses when humanity was not under law at all. How do you explain this?

Prior to Mt. Sinai.
OK, but this is not really the central issue. The issue is the status of the Law of Moses. Let's say the Law of Moses was given between years X and Y. The fact remains: That law, whenever it was insituted has been set aside:

But now in Christ Jesus you who formerly were far off [j]have been brought near [k]by the blood of Christ. 14 For He Himself is our peace, who made both groups into one and broke down the [l]barrier of the dividing wall, 15 [m]by abolishing in His flesh the enmity, which is the Law of commandments contained in ordinances, ....

This "law" is none other than the Law of Moses, as has been extensively argued already.

And there are many other text that show that the Law of Moses has been set aside.

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you explain this?

I don't try to explain such things in an environment that may turn hostile like the Wilderness area of our forum also known as Apologetics and Theology because such things may only be explained in peaceful enjoyment of the Word of God where we all strive to live and work together. Hopefully what I do respond to here is seen and known to be my desire to be helpful as a advocate of peace joined more-so as a facilitator than one whose place may be found the role of teacher. Frankly? I'm learning and participating in a fairly reserved manner. Or at least, that is my intent.

Cordially,
Sparrow

The whole issue of the garden was this...

Gen 2:15 And the LORD God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it.
Gen 2:16 And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat:
Gen 2:17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

This tree was not the tree of knowing right from wrong, it is the tree of determining right from wrong. God said to Adam and Eve, do not try to determine what is right from wrong, that is my perogative...

Gen 3:22 And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

The 1611 does not convey this very well, they did not receive the ability or the authority to determine what is good or evil, they took to themselves the attempt at determining good and evil. How has that worked out for mankind ever since?

Rom 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

God's Law has existed at least from creation...

Rom 5:13 (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.

No Law = no sin.

Rom 5:14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come.

Why did death reign?

Rom 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Because mankind was sinning, yet we read...

Rom 4:15 Because the law worketh wrath: for where no law is, there is no transgression.

and

1Jn 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

There was sin in the world because God's Law was functioning from creation. Mt. Sinai was simply a restating and codifying of the Law that was already in force and had been known by these people prior to their slavery in Egypt. Abrahm knew this Law...

Gen 26:5 Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.

The Sabbath was in effect the seventh day of creation week...

Exo 20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

One does not remember something that is brand new.

Exo 20:9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
Exo 20:10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
Exo 20:11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

And here we find that God blessed and hallowed His Sabbath and named it as such on the seventh day of creation week.

The Law has been in effect apart from the Old Covenant. It was simply the terms and condtions of the Old Covenant. Here is the Old Covenant stated...

Exo 24:3 And Moses came and told the people all the words of the LORD, and all the judgments: and all the people answered with one voice, and said, All the words which the LORD hath said will we do.

The Old Covenant was the agreement of the people to do all the words of the Eternal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Prior to Mt. Sinai.
OK, but this is not really the central issue. The issue is the status of the Law of Moses. Let's say the Law of Moses was given between years X and Y. The fact remains: That law, whenever it was insituted has been set aside:

But now in Christ Jesus you who formerly were far off [j]have been brought near [k]by the blood of Christ. 14 For He Himself is our peace, who made both groups into one and broke down the [l]barrier of the dividing wall, 15 [m]by abolishing in His flesh the enmity, which is the Law of commandments contained in ordinances, ....

This "law" is none other than the Law of Moses, as has been extensively argued already.

And there are many other text that show that the Law of Moses has been set aside.

Such as...

Mat 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
Mat 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
Mat 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

and...

Mat 19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
Mat 19:18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
Mat 19:19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

I have always considered Christ a pretty good authority on the subject, but even Paul agrees...

Rom 13:8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.
Rom 13:9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Rom 13:10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

Here Paul shows that keeping the Commandments is the fulfilling of the law and that being the Law of loving your neighbor as yourself.

Mat 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill.

Jesus fulfilled the types and Shadows in the Law, He fulfilled the Prophecies in the Prophets and He fulfilled what was written of Him in then Psalms.

The Law and the Prophets as well as the Psalms pointed to Christ. He is The Christ.

What does that have to do with Keeping the Law of Moses today?

The fact that the priesthood and the requirements and the temple are removed, tells us much more than a jot and tittle has been removed.

Jesus fulfilling the Law doesn't mean He "kept" the Law of Moses.

Jesus kept the Royal Law.

Jesus kept the original Law from the garden!

That Law says if you do what I tell you not to do you will die!

The Law of sin and death started when that Law was violated.

Jesus did what He saw His Father do.

Jesus said what He heard His father say.

Jesus did NOTHING outside the will of God.

Jesus had no need of the Law of Moses.

He fulfilled the Torah, The Prophets and the Psalms.

The Torah is more than just the Law of Moses.

JLB

I believe that "Torah" here does not mean "Mosaic Law". Torah is God's Wisdom - Judaism's interpretation at a COSMIC level. Something that has always existed. Proverbs 8, the personification of Wisdom (and John 1) is Jesus Christ. HE IS the true Torah. The Mosaic Law has been put aside as a legally binding "document", but the PRINCIPLES found within the Mosaic Law - what I am calling "Torah" - has pre-existed creation. That is the Jewish view, and I agree. I also agree that Jesus Christ has replaced this notion and clarified it, made it known. During OT times, it was ambiguous. With Christ, it has been revealed from above.

Paul and James refer back to the overriding principles found within the Mosaic Law, but these principles did not ORIGINATE with Moses. "Love your neighbor" is an idea that has no "beginning", if we consider this as the Wisdom of God personified by Jesus Christ, Whom also has no beginning.

Agree, God desired the Mosaic cult during OT times (a SHADOW of the good things to come - Hebrews lays all of this out) IN ADDITION to the inner conversion of the heart. THAT is the point of the sacrificial cult of Judaism before 70 AD. "Do I (God) desire blood"? Of course not, the animals and trees are all His. What God desires is a contrite heart. The sacrifice is SUPPOSED to lead to that. Now, the sacrifice has changed and there is no more need for animal sacrifices, which only was a temporary cult until the Christ came, Who is Priest AND Victim.

No, salvation is not by works. But is faith and seeking God a "work"? Does one who has this faith seek self-justification? No, "we" rely on God's mercy. The Psalms are covered with such talk.

And this is another question for this thread, why did Ezekiel spend 9 chapters speaking about the temple system again in the millennium? Will the Torah have passed, or be observed in the millennium?

I would imagine he was speaking with words that Jews would understand, but implying more a metaphorical tone.

We are in the end-times. The Temple was destroyed as a sign that its over and done.

Again, Hebrews lays out how the Aaronic priesthood has been superceded by the line of Melchezidek.

Regards
What is the Law of Moses? Is it solely the 613 and mitzvahs? Apart from the temple, Israel, Kings, Priests, etc, there are only maybe roughly 200 or so commandments that can be observed today. These are typically divided into positive and negative instructions. I am sure you have heard of arguing "halakah" and legal rulings based on the Mosaic Law. So of the estimated 200 do's and do nots, why have we decided which ones apply to us and which ones don't? Who gives us the authority to do that?

The Jerusalem Council was entirely Jewish in its scope and practice, and they determined those 4 things in Acts 15 as a starting point for Gentiles as the Law of Moses is taught every Shabbat. This means new believers were told to start with these 4 basic things and they would learn more as time goes on. They never gave them a specific list of what is or isn't relevant, so why do we make those same lists ourselves? Could it be we are so encapsulated with our church's "traditions" and wouldn't think about going against popular thought, even when the bible says otherwise?

[That is what is taught by Messianic Judaism to validate there belief that one must keep the Law of Moses.
You have absolutely what Messianic Judaism teaches obviously. Allenwynne had a great comment on another thread that maybe those who go to church on Sundays try a service on a Saturday, and vice versa. And FYI, I have also gone to church on Sundays in the not so distant past. But this isn't about Messianics, so why do you keep bringing it up?

[The truth for all to see is plain and clear -

They wrote this letter by them: The apostles, the elders, and the brethren, To the brethren who are of the Gentiles in Antioch, Syria, and Cilicia: Greetings. 24 Since we have heard that some who went out from us have troubled you with words, unsettling your souls, saying, "You must be circumcised and keep the law"--to whom we gave no such commandment-- 25 it seemed good to us, being assembled with one accord, to send chosen men to you with our beloved Barnabas and Paul, 26 men who have risked their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. 27 We have therefore sent Judas and Silas, who will also report the same things by word of mouth. 28 For it seemed good to the Holy Spirit, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things: 29 that you abstain from things offered to idols, from blood, from things strangled, and from sexual immorality. If you keep yourselves from these, you will do well. Farewell. Acts 15:23-29

Read what the conclusion of the matter was -

"You must be circumcised and keep the law"--to whom we gave no such commandment--

It does not say anything about the motive
for circumcision and keeping the law, whether for salvation or for what ever reason.

It clearly was written to all -

We gave no such commandment to keep the law! Period no explanation required.

We gave no such commandment to be circumcised!
Period no explanation required.

James even explains - For Moses has had throughout many generations those who preach him in every city, being read in the synagogues every Sabbath."

James refers to the past, has had.

No salvation has ever come to any Gentiles by the preaching of Moses.

Gentiles were forbidden in the Temple area.

Paul almost lost his life we accused of bringing Gentiles into the Temple area.
And you didn't include the context of the entire chapter as stated in verse 1.

Acts 15:1 Some men came down from Judea and began teaching the brethren, “Unless you are circumcised according to the custom of Moses, you cannot be saved.

Try read Galatians from this perspective. It wasn't abrogating the Law, merely clarifying one does not need be customized to merit salvation. If it was the Law then, they would never have instructed them this: "...abstain from things contaminated by idols and from fornication and from what is strangled and from blood. 21 For Moses from ancient generations has in every city those who preach him, since he is read in the synagogues every Sabbath.â€

Those that call themselves Messianic Judaism will try and teach that new Gentile converts were to be taught how to keep the law of Moses in Synagogs, of all things.

Did you hear that. They, [Messianic Judaism] say verse 21 means that the Jerusalem council intended for new Gentile Christians converts to continue to be "taught" the law of Moses in Synagogs by Rabbis who hate Christians and Gentiles!

Not discipled in the Teachings and ways of Christ by Paul, but they say verse 21 means that new Gentile Christians were to be taught the Law of Moses by unsaved Rabbis in a Synagog!
Where else would they hear the Word of the Lord from? In a church with steeples and bell chimes? Jesus himself told the people to continue listening to those who teach from Moses seat"

Matthew 23:1-4 Then Jesus spoke to the crowds and to His disciples, 2 saying: “The scribes and the Pharisees have seated themselves in the chair of Moses; 3 therefore all that they tell you, do and observe, but do not do according to their deeds; for they say things and do not do them. 4 They tie up heavy burdens and lay them on men’s shoulders, but they themselves are unwilling to move them with so much as a finger.

What were the heavy burdens? Well not the Mosaic Law, but the extra rabbinical laws the teachers placed on the people. That was the burden. God's law is not burdensome, he said so. It was things like handwashing Mark 7:2-4

You sure can't let this Messianic stuff drop can you?

For not knowing about God’s righteousness and seeking to establish their own, they did not subject themselves to the righteousness of God.

1 Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is that they may be saved. 2 For I bear them witness that they have a zeal for God, but not according to knowledge. 3 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and seeking to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted to the righteousness of God. 4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes. Romans 10:1-3

It appears you intended to use this scripture against me, suggesting that I do not subject myself to the righteousness of God, which you say is through the law.

Looks like the shoe is on the other foot.

JLB
What does "end" and the usage for in this verse mean. The Greek is "telos" and yes it has been rendered as end, but is more accurately used as "goal" for this passage. If it was end, then let's just tear out Paul and this passage:

Romans 3:31 "Do we then nullify the Law through faith? May it never be! On the contrary, we establish the Law."

I'm not overly fond of inconsistencies in the bible. If you are fine with that. So be it.

Back