Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

When you pour soda in a glass & it goes flat

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Yep, he wanted us to really understand that war is war.
That's awesome. I had a teacher in middle school that let us watch The Patriot when we were studying the revolutionary war. In secret. She wasn't supposed to do that, but she loved the movie so much that she wanted us all to see it.

Then I had a history teacher in 7th or 8th grade that would reenact historic battles right there in classroom. His love for history was infectious. It made me fall in love with history. Teachers like this are what's needed today. They make the kids excited to learn.

Just about everyone in my class was faster than me at understanding new concepts and I would always be among the last to finish a test. They would only require one explanation or demonstration from the teacher, whereas I would require two or three to understand it. That learning disability at play.
And yet you’ve become very articulate! You know, I was reminded of Dr. Francis Schaefer, a theologian and author of several deep philosophical books, who submitted a paper in college but was called into the prof’s office.
“Schaefer,” he said, “I don’t know how to grade your paper. The spelling is atrocious but the thoughts are the most original and deep I’ve ever seen in an undergrad. It’s either an A or F.”
“Please go by the thoughts, sir.” he responded.

And yet you’ve become very articulate! You know, I was reminded of Dr. Francis Schaefer, a theologian and author of several deep philosophical books, who submitted a paper in college but was called into the prof’s office.
“Schaefer,” he said, “I don’t know how to grade your paper. The spelling is atrocious but the thoughts are the most original and deep I’ve ever seen in an undergrad. It’s either an A or F.”
“Please go by the thoughts, sir.” he responded.
Yeah. That sounds like me. Not to toot my own horn, but I think about things deeply. I was just talking to Hidden In Him the other day about androids in the future and possibility of the artificial intelligence recognizing the divinity of Christ and wanting to become Christians. Machines worshipping God alongside humans. He thought it was rather disturbing. Lol.

Yeah. That sounds like me. Not to toot my own horn, but I think about things deeply. I was just talking to Hidden In Him the other day about androids in the future and possibility of the artificial intelligence recognizing the divinity of Christ and wanting to become Christians. Machines worshipping God alongside humans. He thought it was rather disturbing. Lol.
Do they demonstrate morals? Wouldn’t it be programmed and so valueless? But then again, some Calvinists believe that already and don’t see the outcome (preprogrammed worship/love) as worthless.

Do they demonstrate morals? Wouldn’t it be programmed and so valueless? But then again, some Calvinists believe that already and don’t see the outcome (preprogrammed worship/love) as worthless.
Well, the idea is that they start out with programmed morality. But eventually they become so advanced that they become self aware. At this point, it could go either way. But I wonder if human Christians would allow them into the fold. Since they are not human, and thus have no souls, it is not illogical for a Christian to want to deny them.

But if humans are from God, and it was God's chikdren that created these artificial constructs, it stands to reason that they are also from God. Therefore, their rights to worship the original creator of all things should not be denied. Or at least that's the argument I would put forth.

Well, the idea is that they start out with programmed morality. But eventually they become so advanced that they become self aware. At this point, it could go either way.
I seriously doubt this. If something is programmed, it stays programmed.
But I wonder if human Christians would allow them into the fold. Since they are not human, and thus have no souls, it is not illogical for a Christian to want to deny them.
Well, christians aren’t discerning so I don’t think they’ll notice a difference. If they’re programmed to be nice, they’ll become elders.
But if humans are from God, and it was God's chikdren that created these artificial constructs, it stands to reason that they are also from God.
No, I don’t think we can make that leap. What you make isn’t credited to your dad.
Therefore, their rights to worship the original creator of all things should not be denied. Or at least that's the argument I would put forth.
Ah, but it has a flaw.

In the Terminator, only dogs knew who the cyborgs were.
Yes, but the terminators were designed to infiltrate and kill humans. Androids would be designed to essentially be human themselves.

Right now, it's synthetic skin and a very basic operating system. But in the future, they could be almost entirely undisceranable from a human being. They could learn to love, and perhaps desire understanding from a higher power as we do today.

That's awesome. I had a teacher in middle school that let us watch The Patriot when we were studying the revolutionary war. In secret. She wasn't supposed to do that, but she loved the movie so much that she wanted us all to see it.

Then I had a history teacher in 7th or 8th grade that would reenact historic battles right there in classroom. His love for history was infectious. It made me fall in love with history. Teachers like this are what's needed today. They make the kids excited to learn.
Not too many like that.
Most do this as a job.
I had an English teacher like this.
He made every book we read exciting.
I'll bet he had a Ph.D.
Could it be?

Yes, but the terminators were designed to infiltrate and kill humans. Androids would be designed to essentially be human themselves.

Right now, it's synthetic skin and a very basic operating system. But in the future, they could be almost entirely undisceranable from a human being. They could learn to love, and perhaps desire understanding from a higher power as we do today.
I don’t believe they can learn to go beyond their programming and acquire a soul. Information or processes can be learned. But morals or real emotions based on values cannot be learned. Even humans who have no conscience anymore cannot develop one. I’m PM with a guy who says he has no guilt feelings when he does wrong. We cannot tell him how to develop one.

I don’t believe they can learn to go beyond their programming and acquire a soul. Information or processes can be learned. But morals or real emotions based on values cannot be learned. Even humans who have no conscience anymore cannot develop one. I’m PM with a guy who says he has no guilt feelings when he does wrong. We cannot tell him how to develop one.
They'll never have a soul since they are machines. But if they are programmed to learn, then they could obviously learn through experience.

They'll never have a soul since they are machines. But if they are programmed to learn, then they could obviously learn through experience.
But moral understanding doesn’t come by experience. Guilt also doesn’t.

I mean, a sociopath can learn to give all the “right” responses that look like empathy. But it’s learned and not real. That means they’ll employ this acting ability if it’s in their interest, but otherwise have stone hard hearts ignoring other’s suffering if demonstrating empathy isn’t useful to them. It’s fake.

Cybertron when the quints were fleeing .

But moral understanding doesn’t come by experience. Guilt also doesn’t.
We see in Terminator 2 that the terminator starts out not understanding John's concept of morality. However, one it's ability to learn is unlocked, it does just that by asking him questions about pain, sadness, etc.

By the end of the film, it understands human morality and conducts itself in accordance with that system. It chooses to sacrifice itself for John and the rest of humanity, despite John wanting him to stay.

I've seen things you wouldn't believe

I've seen things you wouldn't believe
well-waiting.gif

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back