Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Who made God?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
One answe is to remind them that they asked about aGod and that Christians rely on the bible to find our about God.

Who Me,

That Bible tells us that we don't only rely on the Bible to find out about God:

19 The truth about God is plain to them. God has made it plain. 20 Ever since the world was created it has been possible to see the qualities of God that are not seen. I’m talking about his eternal power and about the fact that he is God. Those things can be seen in what he has made. So people have no excuse for what they do (Rom 1:19-20 NIRV).​

Unbelievers will stand before God with 'no excuse' if they ignore the evidence for God in creation.

Oz

Who Me,

19 The truth about God is plain to them. God has made it plain. 20 Ever since the world was created it has been possible to see the qualities of God that are not seen. I’m talking about his eternal power and about the fact that he is God. Those things can be seen in what he has made. So people have no excuse for what they do (Rom 1:19-20 NIRV).​

Unbelievers will stand before God with 'no excuse' if they ignore the evidence for God in creation.

Oz
The point I'm making is if an 'atheist' ask who made God?
They are accepting that there is a God and in consequence cannot disregard the Bible without strong evidence that it is unreliable.

To my brothers and sisters in Christ,

I live in a secular, godless society where people deny the existence of God.

Too often they can't get to the basics and ask: You talk so much about God and his evidence in creation, but who made God?

If you were talking to a secular person in your country, how would you answer the question: Who made God?

Blessings,
Oz
I would say, The question presupposes that the God I'm talking about is created. Please listen closely, the God I'm talking about is not created, but has always existed; He is the origin, the beginning and the ending, the first and the last, before Him there was no God, nor can there be after Him, because He never passes away.

All things have an origin, e.g., you have your father, and he has his father, and so on until we get to Adam, who has God as his Father, yet God is without origin, in that He was neither made, nor begotten, but is the First Father, the originator of all persons, places, and things.

The application of Occam's Razor demonstrates the simple fallacy inherent in presupposing that God was created, i.e., to ask who created God, will also raise the question, who created the God who created our God, and who created that God, etc., ad infinitum.

That question is innocent in children, who will immediately accept that God was not made, but has always existed, and He creates everyone; but in adults who debate, it is profoundly ignorant, for if they had truly paid attention, they would have known, that God introduces Himself as the creator of everything, from everlasting to everlasting, Who alone has immortality, and promises eternal life to all who love His Son.

If after your explanation of God, a debater does not understand that God is presenting Himself as the Origin and Destination, when He says that I am the Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, then that debater has been deluded by God Himself (2 Thessalonians 2:11-12), and there is nothing you can say to him to undo what God has already done.

The only thing you can do for them is between you and God, that is, you would simply have to pray for that person, that God would perhaps soften their heart, to reject the foolishness they have embraced, so that perhaps they can accept repentance.

The point I'm making is if an 'atheist' ask who made God?
They are accepting that there is a God and in consequence cannot disregard the Bible without strong evidence that it is unreliable.

Who Me,

My general experience with atheists is that 'who made God?' comes in a discussion about evidence for the existence of God. I have not found them to believe in the existence of God but ask, 'Even if your God exists, who made Him?'

Does your church teach on how to determine if the Bible is a reliable set of documents? I haven't met an atheist who even wants to know that the Bible is reliable. That's why I have to be equipped with evidence to defend the Bible's trustworthiness.

Oz

Who Me,

Oz

so...an Anglican or RCC approach vs sola scriptura?

so...an Anglican or RCC approach vs sola scriptura?

CE,

Not so! I'm talking about the examples given by the apostles in the Book of Acts.

Whenever they first approached pagans, who neither believed nor even knew the Old Testament Scriptures, they never began by quoting Scripture. Rather, they first approached them in reference to the physical creation and their intuitive knowledge of a primeval Creator (note especially Acts 14:11-17 and Acts 17:18-31).

Even at the Areopagus (Mars Hill) in Acts 17, Paul declared the knowledge of God to Jew & Gentile:

22 Then Paul stood up in the court and said, `You men of Athens, I see that you are very religious and worship many gods.​
23 As I walked about, I looked at the things you worship. I saw one place where you make sacrifices. You have written on it, "To the God we do not know." You are worshipping that God, but you do not know him. I will tell you about him.​
24 He made the world and everything in it. He is the Lord of the sky and the earth. He does not live in houses that people make with their hands.​
25 Men cannot worship him by things they make with their hands because he does not need anything. He is the one who gives life and breath and everything else to all people.​
26 God made one man. From that one man he has made all the nations of men to live on the whole earth. He has given to each nation a certain time and a certain place to live.​
27 He did this so they would look for him. He wanted them to reach out and find him. But he is not far from each one of us.​
28 In him we live, and move, and are alive. Some of your own writers have said, "We have come from him".​
29 `Therefore we have all come from God. So we should not think that God is something made of gold, or silver, or stone. He is not made by men's hands.​
30 In times past God did not look at what people did. They did not know any better then. But now he is calling all people to stop doing those things.​
31 God has set a day when he will judge the whole world in the right way. He has chosen a man to do this. He has proved to all people who the man is. He has raised him from death' (Acts 17:22-31 WEB).​

As a former Pharisee, Paul would have known this theology about the existence and character of God from the Scriptures, but he did not begin his presentation: 'This is what the Bible says ...'

We can do the same with atheists and other unbelievers.

Oz

Who Me,

My general experience with atheists is that 'who made God?' comes in a discussion about evidence for the existence of God. I have not found them to believe in the existence of God but ask, 'Even if your God exists, who made Him?'

Does your church teach on how to determine if the Bible is a reliable set of documents? I haven't met an atheist who even wants to know that the Bible is reliable. That's why I have to be equipped with evidence to defend the Bible's trustworthiness.

Oz
My church does not teach apologetics as often as I would like.

It is ,only opion, important to keep discussions reason based, so if asked,'Who made God?' to gentle remind them of the illogical nature of that question.

Noone is going to be convinced by arguments and reasoning against there own will, that is set against God.

The only reason for talking to them is so one can talk about Jesus.
It is the closure to him that can work as a timebomb to turn there world view upsidedown.

My church does not teach apologetics as often as I would like.

It is ,only opion, important to keep discussions reason based, so if asked,'Who made God?' to gentle remind them of the illogical nature of that question.

Noone is going to be convinced by arguments and reasoning against there own will, that is set against God.

The only reason for talking to them is so one can talk about Jesus.
It is the closure to him that can work as a timebomb to turn there world view upsidedown.

Who Me,

Why is 'Who made God?' an illogical question?

Oz

CE,

Not so! I'm talking about the examples given by the apostles in the Book of Acts.

Whenever they first approached pagans, who neither believed nor even knew the Old Testament Scriptures, they never began by quoting Scripture. Rather, they first approached them in reference to the physical creation and their intuitive knowledge of a primeval Creator (note especially Acts 14:11-17 and Acts 17:18-31).

Even at the Areopagus (Mars Hill) in Acts 17, Paul declared the knowledge of God to Jew & Gentile:

22 Then Paul stood up in the court and said, `You men of Athens, I see that you are very religious and worship many gods.​
23 As I walked about, I looked at the things you worship. I saw one place where you make sacrifices. You have written on it, "To the God we do not know." You are worshipping that God, but you do not know him. I will tell you about him.​
24 He made the world and everything in it. He is the Lord of the sky and the earth. He does not live in houses that people make with their hands.​
25 Men cannot worship him by things they make with their hands because he does not need anything. He is the one who gives life and breath and everything else to all people.​
26 God made one man. From that one man he has made all the nations of men to live on the whole earth. He has given to each nation a certain time and a certain place to live.​
27 He did this so they would look for him. He wanted them to reach out and find him. But he is not far from each one of us.​
28 In him we live, and move, and are alive. Some of your own writers have said, "We have come from him".​
29 `Therefore we have all come from God. So we should not think that God is something made of gold, or silver, or stone. He is not made by men's hands.​
30 In times past God did not look at what people did. They did not know any better then. But now he is calling all people to stop doing those things.​
31 God has set a day when he will judge the whole world in the right way. He has chosen a man to do this. He has proved to all people who the man is. He has raised him from death' (Acts 17:22-31 WEB).​

As a former Pharisee, Paul would have known this theology about the existence and character of God from the Scriptures, but he did not begin his presentation: 'This is what the Bible says ...'

We can do the same with atheists and other unbelievers.

Oz
I agree. When dealing with nonbelievers, quoting from the Bible is pointless because to them, the Bible is just a collection of literature. It would be like a Muslim quoting from the Koran to us or a Buddhist quoting Buddha. I could care less what Buddha said.

No one is going to be convinced by arguments and reasoning against there own will, that is set against God.

That's not an accurate statement and t veils a loaded assumption that asserts a preexisting position of faith. I have witnessed people change their minds, so to think that a reasoned position won't affect some is simply false. A problem I believe Oz is trying to hit on is that far too often our approach as Christians doesn't employ enough of the necessary apologetics if you will, that is required to move the analytical mind. Evidence and reason are not bad things and we shouldn't view them as "enemies to the cross."

When dealing with nonbelievers, quoting from the Bible is pointless

Totally pointless in most cases unless we can establish why the Bible should be given credibility first. The focus should be using the reality we share to point to the God we believe in. As believers, we should make it a point to become experts on Bible prophecy and to become knowledgeable of history so we can effectively show how history affirms what was written. It seems that far to often we are lazy as it pertains to really learning and immersing ourselves into the the Word of God which should be the foundation of our faith! How can we effectively and accurately win others when we allow ourselves to be unlearned on things pertaining to godliness?

Reactions: WIP
That's not an accurate statement and t veils a loaded assumption that asserts a preexisting position of faith. I have witnessed people change their minds, so to think that a reasoned position won't affect some is simply false. A problem I believe Oz is trying to hit on is that far too often our approach as Christians doesn't employ enough of the necessary apologetics if you will, that is required to move the analytical mind. Evidence and reason are not bad things and we shouldn't view them as "enemies to the cross."
You have witnessed people change their minds phone reasonable explanation or as the result of a period of thought and reasoned discussion.

Please note I haven't said don't discuss, only that convictions don't change readily.

I live in a secular, godless society where people deny the existence of God.

Too often they can't get to the basics and ask: You talk so much about God and his evidence in creation, but who made God?

If you were talking to a secular person in your country, how would you answer the question: Who made God?
We all live in a secular surrounding, where supernatural is not important, but what we have now. God wasn't made and always existed. Its hard to understand this because we have a beginning but we will never end. Gods realm isnt like ours he always existed and the angels are extremely old.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back