Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

WHY ISN'T THIS GENERATION GETTING MARRIED?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
BroRoyVa79 wondering I think you're confusing hopelessness with the reality of things that we're not solving issues that can be solved.

Yeah, the future looks bleak when we allow Satan to control us. Americans for an example allows this. But that's besides the point, when humanity doesn't care then should I be concerned with getting married, have kids? It's not the fact that bad things happen it's the fact we allow them to happen when its solvable.

I pay taxes so we have roads to drive on but they're not being maintained yet society still pays those taxes. Instead we have politicians using those taxes to buy things we don't really need. We need better roads, that's what our tax money is for. Then it's an excuse to raise our taxes.

When you no longer have a society working together it makes it difficult to survive. I know our ancestors lived on less but at the same time it's all they knew and needed at the time.

My point being if you want people to get married and have kids you need a strong foundation. I don't have enough money to date anyone. It's not a big deal because I'm not concerned with that. Been trying to get people to think and see what's around them but some just want to drink, flirt with women and have a good time, not worrying about earths political and spiritual problems.

To me that's just mindless procreation, in a constant cycle and you're just like a hamster running on a wheel. But then they complain when everything is expensive and they can't do the things they used to or whatever. And that's fine.. however it's just a disconnect from the reality of things.

It's like this wheel bearing/hub assembly on my car. I keep hitting potholes on that particular one and already replaced it twice, one due to old age and again for hitting a pothole. Of course hitting another pothole its making noise again.

I'm trying to make it last and I know eventually it will need replacing, being on the driveline side, dont want it locking up. Now I'm worried about it, because I don't want to be stuck on the side of the highway if it does fall apart or damage my transmission. The right thing to do is to just replace it, but I'm out $200 on something that had replaced twice already

Of course that's not my point here. My point is some people will ignore it until their car doesn't move and then a $200 fix turns into a $2,000+ nightmare. And this is how our society operates. We wait until disaster happens. Now in my case with my limited income I'm kind of forced to hold off on replacing it, I also got another side that the sensor is malfunctioning and normally if the bad wheel bearing isnt functioning good enough it would set off the sensor, but with the other side not working right (which may also need to be replaced then, which I had just also done) I don't have that information where if the bad side has a problem it would show up on the dash, prompting me to just replace it.

So I gotta operate on blind faith that I would get enough warning where I gotta get the car to the shop. But well its making noise under 50mph and in some cases 55 (hard to tell with the engine drone).

But if you are just running on blind faith you're going to have problems. Now I may not have kids, but I still have money problems. And I see that we're living in a society where we gotta spend more money despite we don't have enough money.

Getting married for me isn't a priority. I stated why. We got a lot of problems that need addressing. I think we need to work with what have we have and get through it to make the world a better place so we're not burdened by everyday life.
Every day life in the Americas wasn't safe for a few centuries .

We are spoiled .imagine it taking weeks to get mail .

MayGodHeal,

BroRoyVa79 wondering I think you're confusing hopelessness with the reality of things that we're not solving issues that can be solved.
I'm not, but it's a bit of the same based on your own words. You see unsolvable problems and therefore you see no purpose or point or hope in doing anything but focusing on your own survival. You see having a family, getting married, having children, as an irresponsible act in the face of all of the other issues you see going on around you. I get all that. It's a dark outlook. It's really in the same sense as people who see unsolvable problems in their life and then give up on living. While there are nuances in both outlooks, both outlooks come from a sense of seeing no way out of issues that both views have chosen to obsess on, yes, even if they see a general way out of issues.

Yeah, the future looks bleak when we allow Satan to control us. Americans for an example allows this. But that's besides the point, when humanity doesn't care then should I be concerned with getting married, have kids? It's not the fact that bad things happen it's the fact we allow them to happen when its solvable.
See, right here, by your own words. This is a statement of hopelessness on your part. You don't see humanity fixing problems in general, or in this case, problems that you see as important problems that you think are solvable and thus because we (humanity) don't solve these fixable problems (by your standards) then as a result bad things happen that wouldn't happen. You've gotten yourself obsessed with the abyss and the fact that humanity is in a fallen state and therefore governments, the world at large, is in a fallen state.

When/if those problems got fixed, new ones would pop up because the vast majority of people in the world are in a fallen state, and are imperfect by human nature and therefore there will always be some kind of problem occurring which will result in some sort of badness occurring in some form or another.

Focus on the problems within your sphere of influence. Not problems NOT within your sphere of influence and problems you think the world as a whole needs to come together and solve. Not going to happen. History shows that's a fanciful idea, not a reality. No matter the amount of charity, goodwill, government solutions, etc. You will have fallible, fallen, imperfect human beings coming along mucking things up and causing problems for a seemingly perfect (but in reality imperfect) system of solutions.

Looks like from one of your posts you may be a systems engineer or a software engineer. You're talking to someone who used to be into that as well. So, I'll put it this way. No amount of programming methodologies and solutions input into software engineering is going to get around the human element and create the absolutely perfect piece of software, hardware, machinery, etc. Due to the imperfectness of humans, there will always be an error. Due to the imperfectness of the materials imperfect humans use to construct things, time and mistakes will appear in the materials and thus create errors. The machine, the computer's hardware will inevitably fail even if the software is near nigh-imperfect by human standards, etc. etc. etc.

Problems, even if we solve them, will begat more problems. Such is human nature.

Don't take this as me saying we should ignore things. I'm not. I'm responding to your obsession with the problems and the fact that people in general aren't solving them to your satisfaction.

I pay taxes so we have roads to drive on but they're not being maintained yet society still pays those taxes. Instead we have politicians using those taxes to buy things we don't really need. We need better roads, that's what our tax money is for. Then it's an excuse to raise our taxes.
Such is the nature of human beings. As I said in the last reply. The vast majority of humans won't care until it immediately affects them. Until the roads that they drive on to go to work causes some immediate and constant inconvenience (such as a pothole destroying their wheel or drivetrain, etc.) then they might, just might, care enough to just wonder "Why haven't the roads been fixed, yet?"

Again, overall you're dealing with fallen human nature. Most humans are obsessed with themselves and not the world at large until the problems for the world at large affect them immediately, constantly, and directly.

Got a bit long winded on this one, so, to be continued...

Last edited:
When you no longer have a society working together it makes it difficult to survive. I know our ancestors lived on less but at the same time it's all they knew and needed at the time.

My point being if you want people to get married and have kids you need a strong foundation. I don't have enough money to date anyone. It's not a big deal because I'm not concerned with that. Been trying to get people to think and see what's around them but some just want to drink, flirt with women and have a good time, not worrying about earths political and spiritual problems.

Here's a question for you. When has society ever really worked together? As I said before, we tend to romanticize the past. We tend to look at the past with rose colored glasses and only see the good in the past. "That was a different time. It was better because these things I see happening in the present weren't happening in that time." When often times it's not true, or much, much worse things were happening in the past. But sure, sometimes we're often right that this thing that's causing issues in the present and will likely go on to cause issues in the future wasn't a thing that caused issues in the past. But I'm sure if you pointed out whatever thing it is, I can point to you where the seeds of that thing you see as a grand issue likely started with our ancestors doing what I said above, being humans, focused on themselves in general, and were apathetic to the problem. Just like you're upset about people today being apathetic to the problem.

And yet, our ancestors still had families, still had children, still kept it moving forward.

Don't get me wrong, there are moments in the past that we can point to and say there were good moments that we're benefiting from in the present. But we also tend to forget that our ancestors had a lot of problems in the past. You brought up they lived on less, depending on the timeframe, that's cause they had to live on less. As in that was one of the problems they had no way to solve for themselves due to whatever reason in whatever region, time, culture, economy, lack of resources, etc. they had to deal with. An example of one of the problems of the past we sometimes gloss over.

A strong foundation in society comes from a strong foundation in the family unit. The family unit influences the younger generations who go out into society and maintain the morals, values, principles that create a favorable society. If society is falling, any society really, it's not just the politicians that are the culprits, nor the people not voting properly, but a collection of the whole jumble of puzzle pieces misaligning, failing in various areas, but in general, this starts in the home. The very thing that you're lambasting against and rejecting to build. What happens when there are multiple of you and your way of thinking (which there is) and marriages aren't happening, children aren't being born and raised with proper morals, values, and principles and sent out into the world to influence it with that strong foundation they got in home? The overall foundation of society crumbles.

Again why I said do what you can with what you have. This doesn't necessarily mean for YOU TO GET MARRIED, but your overall aversion to the concept, so it seems, likely prevents you from encouraging others you see as people who have the proper foundation you hope to see in the world at large come together, have children, and raise them up to send them out to influence the world.

Yes, it sounds very fanciful, but at it's core it's a real effective thing that has a real, strong, affect on society. I can preach a sermon or do a course lecture on all this and how the destruction of the home was the very first thing done in the West. Was it ever utter perfection, the home, the family unit? Nope. Of course not, but it was good enough, people had enough principles that we tend to call "traditional" today that we look back on past Western society and deem that it was "better than today" in many ways. Well, those of us who value those things and consider them "good" and "proper." Those that don't value those things have won and are winning out. You know why? They got the children of yesteryear to believe their way of viewing the world, to accept their values of the world, to believe that the "traditional" stuff was/is wrong and dangerous. You know who they're still getting? The children. You know why? Cause they got the children of yesteryear to raise those children and send their children back to them (schools, colleges, entertainment, etc.) so that they can repeat the process. They do this in greater numbers than people like you and me raise our children the proper way because we're stuck in their system (economic, etc.) and often had/have to work by their rules (Government school, colleges that used to be Christian that are not very much anti-Christian, etc.)

As I said, I can preach a sermon on all this or teach a lecture course. But the point is not to lament over these problems, but to point out that the solutions are not likely what you think. Sure, fix the roads while the children are being taught that they might be a boy who's really a girl because they feel like a girl, so go mutilate yourself because society has chosen to adopt insanity and say it's normal, etc. etc. etc.

There are people fighting the good fight, but the point in this whole rant response is that the world has always been full of evil since Adam and Eve rebelled as I said before. The world will always be full of evil. Evil creates problems. Yes, even solvable ones that people ignore. That has existed since the beginning. Yet, our ancestors still got married, raised children, kept it moving forward.

To me that's just mindless procreation, in a constant cycle and you're just like a hamster running on a wheel. But then they complain when everything is expensive and they can't do the things they used to or whatever. And that's fine.. however it's just a disconnect from the reality of things.
Once again, this is framed by your current interpretation of the world at large by way of overly focusing on unsolvable problems.

Again, to be continued, hopefully ended in part 3....

It's like this wheel bearing/hub assembly on my car. I keep hitting potholes on that particular one and already replaced it twice, one due to old age and again for hitting a pothole. Of course hitting another pothole its making noise again.

I'm trying to make it last and I know eventually it will need replacing, being on the driveline side, dont want it locking up. Now I'm worried about it, because I don't want to be stuck on the side of the highway if it does fall apart or damage my transmission. The right thing to do is to just replace it, but I'm out $200 on something that had replaced twice already

Of course that's not my point here. My point is some people will ignore it until their car doesn't move and then a $200 fix turns into a $2,000+ nightmare. And this is how our society operates. We wait until disaster happens. Now in my case with my limited income I'm kind of forced to hold off on replacing it, I also got another side that the sensor is malfunctioning and normally if the bad wheel bearing isnt functioning good enough it would set off the sensor, but with the other side not working right (which may also need to be replaced then, which I had just also done) I don't have that information where if the bad side has a problem it would show up on the dash, prompting me to just replace it.
Another thing your missing in your outlook is that people are dynamic. What Person A sees as a problem that needs and immediate solution, Person B doesn't see it that way and is looking at Problem 2 and they think that needs an immediate solution. While Person C is looking at Problem 3 and thinks that needs an immediate solution. And so on and so forth.

Person A may drive down Road 1 and it's full of potholes, only people who drive down Road 1 with Person A is going to potentially care about the road. Person B and C may go another way altogether and thus they don't think the potholes in the road are an immediate issue while Person A does. Person B may be dealing with rowdy people in their neighborhood selling illegal goods and to them a few potholes in the road can wait. Person C may be dealing with theft in their family store and the local government is easy on crime and while they may agree with Person B that general crime is an issue, they're going to lean toward dealing with theft faster than people selling illegal goods because the theft is immediately affecting them.

Do you see what I'm getting at here? Even when I say people care about things only when it immediately affects them, that doesn't necessarily mean a malicious or incompetency thing is going on. Doesn't even necessarily mean negligence at large as a whole. Most problems as I said, are recognized within a person's immediate sphere of influence and then exacerbated from there. People have to be shown how gigantic issues like legislation will affect them down the line and even then a lot of people won't get it because they exist in their own little bubbles. This is true for our ancestors. A lot of the nonsense we're dealing with today started back then and they didn't get it cause they existed in their own little bubbles and were worried about problems immediately affecting their day to day lives. When a big problem happened, WW2 for example, in the US, people still didn't want to get involved because of the general isolationist stance. Heck, you had companies selling things to Hitler and co. Once again, proving my point, that there have always and always be societal issues bearing down on everyone at any given time in reality.

So I gotta operate on blind faith that I would get enough warning where I gotta get the car to the shop. But well its making noise under 50mph and in some cases 55 (hard to tell with the engine drone).

But if you are just running on blind faith you're going to have problems. Now I may not have kids, but I still have money problems. And I see that we're living in a society where we gotta spend more money despite we don't have enough money.
I would argue it's not blind faith. You know you got to get the car to the shop. I've been there in that situation where I didn't have the funds to get the car fixed, the oil changed, the tire looked at, this, that, and a third. I've had cars die on me because of that. I've had brakes get ground down to screeching on me. In each instance, I had to make best with what I had while having a wife and children to provide for. In some instance, had to just take the loss, take the car down to a high API percentage dealer, trade it in, get another one to get to work.

We all live with struggles and victories in our lives. Everyone does. I don't care how prime, perfect, put together, wealthy someone looks, they have struggles in something. Even if it's just struggles in their own heads, loneliness, etc. It's a struggle.

I said it in the previous reply. Work on yourself. Better yourself. Get yourself to where you're comfortable, or at the very least, content.

Getting married for me isn't a priority. I stated why. We got a lot of problems that need addressing. I think we need to work with what have we have and get through it to make the world a better place so we're not burdened by everyday life.
Not saying you should get married or make it a priority. I've been saying 2 things to you. 1) Stop obsessing about the problems outside of your influence. Sure, continue doing what you're doing. Talking to people about the problems in society, but do so with a realistic outlook. Most people aren't going to see the problems you see as something that needs an immediate call to action. Or work on your delivery and provide some way to influence them to see a call to action. That's doing what you can with the power and influence that you have. 2) Don't lock yourself into this outlook of everything that should God want to smack you upside the head and say, "Hey, see that woman over there in Pew #1, or that said hi to you in the store, or that's wearing that white shirt, she's for you, no go..." That you're being stubborn and rebellious and miss the mark when it's time. That's all.

Edited to add: And I got wordy cause I'm bored at work...lol

Last edited:
BroRoyVa79 I think you're overthinking this, particularly with needing to trade my car in because of bad roads damaging a part on my vehicle. The only reason I would do it is due to the rust, but that's not a huge deal for me. I mean I keep up with the necessary maintenance, oil changes and what not. It's a pretty busy highway with bad roads but well like wise some people apparently don't figure out hitting potholes wear out your vehicle quicker.

Basically all I'm saying is we can do better. A lot better. We're not. And think about this, we gotten to the point where we can question the need to reproduce like rabbits when there is 8 billion people on the planet. Sure not everyone is going to want to work together, however I don't see now we're trying to now. We're just fighting with one another. Politics have gotten way worse. Even when we had bad politicians usually we get them out of office, now we're praising them.

10, 20 years ago I seen roads get resurfaced more frequently. Today, good luck getting potholes filled up.

MayGodHeal

BroRoyVa79 I think you're overthinking this, particularly with needing to trade my car in because of bad roads damaging a part on my vehicle. The only reason I would do it is due to the rust, but that's not a huge deal for me. I mean I keep up with the necessary maintenance, oil changes and what not. It's a pretty busy highway with bad roads but well like wise some people apparently don't figure out hitting potholes wear out your vehicle quicker.

I wasn't overthinking, I was relating and sharing my own experience with car maintenance issues to coincide with my overall point that there will always be problems in our immediate lives and in the overall world. Always.

Basically all I'm saying is we can do better. A lot better. We're not.

I don't disagree, but at the same time, I've moved beyond overly focusing on it. That's been my general message to you in this back and forth.

And think about this, we gotten to the point where we can question the need to reproduce like rabbits when there is 8 billion people on the planet.
I'm not a fan of the over population mantra. God told us in Genesis 1:28 to be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth. Vast majority of the Earth has not been filled. I realize this isn't likely your point here or maybe your position, but it sounds like over population mantra to me. So forgive me if that's putting words in your mouth. Just, I've looked into this enough to know that we could do way worse with the population and studies have shown that if we wanted to, wanted to be like those weird people in imaginary sci-fi stuff often written by people overly focused on over population mantra, we could fit the entire population into certain states in America. We'd be living on top of one another, but we could do it.

I wouldn't want that.

Beside the point, I know, but yeah...

Sure not everyone is going to want to work together, however I don't see now we're trying to now. We're just fighting with one another. Politics have gotten way worse. Even when we had bad politicians usually we get them out of office, now we're praising them.

10, 20 years ago I seen roads get resurfaced more frequently. Today, good luck getting potholes filled up.

Again, I'd say to you this is romanticizing the past. Plus, 10-20 years ago you likely had government employees who were likely raised by moms and dads who taught them to take their responsibilities seriously and so they ensured that the roads were fix rather than waste tax dollars on other things, embezzle it, etc.

Politics is downstream from Culture or Culture is upstream from politics or however which way you want to phrase that. The point is Family influences Culture influences Politics (and legislation) and this is assuming you have a society in which the people have any type of massive influence over the latter. In our sense, in the US, Family > Culture > Politics & Legislation.

Why would people who weren't raised to care about their surroundings ("Go clean your room son, it's important to care about the place you live" for example) care about their larger surroundings? "Man, this street from my home to my job sucks, maybe I should go to the local city council meetings to see if the people I voted for are doing anything about it or if they're wasting my taxes elsewhere on idealistic nonsense I don't agree with or voted for."

Then you have the flip side of that. You have tons of people who are happy, as you said, that the fools are in office wasting tax dollars on idealistic nonsense that the other side didn't vote for.

As I said, the only way to get everyone to moderately see things, at least, remotely in line with you or in general proper values is that it starts with the family unit. Either that, or things have to get so bad in such a way that it smacks everyone out of their apathy, narcissism, self-absorbed idealism, etc. and they realize "Oh, oh, this thing is important." And then they start focusing on it passionately and start teaching their children about it until the cycle repeats. Especially in a society where "peace and safety" is a constant thing pushed in front of them and apathy kicks in.

Proverbs 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it. (ESV)

BroRoyVa79 well basic maintenance is part of owning a vehicle. If I damaged my wheel or whatever hitting a pothole once it's my mistake. But since it keeps happening and on the same wheel then we got a problem with our roads. But it turns out we just have a problem with politicans.

And if everything is getting worse you got problems piling up then. Its like yeah you don't change your oil your engine is going to wear out sooner, don't change/fix your brakes it becomes an expensive problem and if you don't maintain your vehicle you'll end up with many problems. Basically we're not maintaining our political system. It's not romanticizing the past, its saying we got a problem here and decline of our roads is just one among many problems we got that are not getting addressed.

Well being fruitful and multiply could mean different things such as teaching people the word of God. However there is also during that time period you didn't have much of any people. I'm not going off on saying we're overpopulated but consider if everything that is happening is happening because we do need to scale back and I'm not even saying that's what is actually happening but you do have a decline of marriages and births. And the most often response is money issues. Some people are even saying "climate change" is causing them to hold back on having families.

And in no way am I saying that people shouldn't get married or have kids either. Its really up to them. Its when problems are getting extreme and ignored you will have a decline of marriages and families. I generally had made enough money for myself but realizing that I don't have enough for marriage or kids that's just among the issues. I know people that live in poverty often have families but then they're also relying on taxpayers to foot their bills.

Pretty much what others said. The way I see it, financial problems is one of the major reasons why people hold back on getting married and/or having kids these days. Raising children can be expensive in today's economy as it usually means one of the spouses will need to pull back from working to take care of the children for many years. With the rising cost of food, gas, etc. and the fluctuation of interest rates, it's no wonder people are choosing either to not have kids or delay having them.

Then there are couples who sadly cannot have kids due to their medical condition. Some couples have been wanting children of their own for years but they were unable to conceive or they miscarried. While they would love to adopt if they could, their financial status does not allow for such luxury.

Then there is the issue of climate change, gender dysphoria, politics and the state of the world, Covid pandemic (which is still ongoing), possible nuclear war, possible biological warfare, etc. etc. People are not as motivated to commit to one person and start a family in an apocalyptic world we are seemingly heading towards. The mentality is "Why bother when everything will soon crumble down?"

You could also say sin is a huge factor in preventing young people from getting married since pre-marital sex is so widely available to anyone these days. Then there are more people who are questioning their sexuality and sexual orientation, where they cannot ascertain whether they want to be male or female, even. In their quest to discover themselves, they are not as eager to find their life-long partner just yet.

Plus, younger people appear to have a more materialistic view on marriage than the generations of the past; they want the whole package before they walk down the aisle-- a nice house or a penthouse apartment, a fancy car, an ability to go on Instagram-worthy vacations and eat out at expensive restaurants, and a 3-carat diamond ring they can proudly showcase to everyone on their Facebook page. Perhaps not all young people fall into this category, but there seems to be a trend that the vast majority of people consider as standard now a days.

As someone said before, marriage seems to be the last resort and not a primary goal anymore.

Lalas You basically explained what i couldn't. Climate change is probably the only thing that isn't concerning to me, if it really is happening that wouldn't stop me from having kids. Its everything else, our roads are falling apart, political system has failed us, and pretty much everything else that can go wrong is going wrong.

All you can do is keep praying you can get through another day. And that's pretty much all the hope I got at the moment. While people constantly avoid the problems they can't solve I'm trying to pray they get resolved.

Our political system is fractured, our economy is in the dumps, inflation is skyrocketing, none of these things are good and that's more of a reason we need to be praying and addressing. It should be at the center of attention, not videogames, music or whatever you do to make you happy we avoid negative feelings and thinking which in turn doesn't solve anything. Also blaming someone or people really isn't going to solve it either.

If one person can't solve an issue, maybe another can and in these days the people who can solve it are more likely the ones being distracted or held down. Or they don't care. It's like we don't have enough police to get people to slow down and stop driving aggressively because people don't like police.

The younger generation doesnt even want to get their drivers license and get a career. You gotta wonder why, maybe because cars are expensive and there's a ton of aggressive, unsafe driving and why get a career if politicians will just end your job. People spent time and in school to learn about internal combustion engine (gas/vehicles) technology and they're being tossed away for electric. And many people don't even want electric vehicles. Politicians and EV lovers want to change this. It's not like changing the typewriter to the computer because that took a lot of time, but it wasn't forced.

We can go on with this but it really shows how people can be manipulated and deceived. And politically, we've all been deceived on both sides. If anything I'm more angry than feeling hopeless, I'm angry because we got evil people destroying everything we worked for. There is always hope things will get better. However we keep reliving our past mistakes. Rome, the Great Flood are just a couple and we're heading straight for that again. Climate change? Or something else. I see a lot of fighting, recently we had a bout of destructive tornadoes. Maybe we have more control over the climate than we think? It's not due to fossil fuels, but I think maybe hatred for one another might have God angry. If you consider how people were back then during the Great Flood they too were angry, vengeful with everyone sinning. Very much like today, we're faced with a similar problem.

But we're concerned with people not getting married, having kids then trying to explain to those who sound hopeless when we refuse to see what's happening in the world and the state of decay we're in. Bad roads, bad political system is a sign that we're heading in the wrong direction.

There is a chance that we can turn this around which requires a lot of attention and kindness.

Last edited:
You got people actively destroying America, what are we doing about it?
Idk commit suicide .

Seriously .

Dec 7 ,1941 in the midst of a depression war broke out
My fil having just passed said he was so poor he had no running water .

There was rationing of everything .far far worse but a concerted effort to win .

Before that there was the genocide of the Indians ,civil war . In Florida boats were sunk ,the news didnt report it .but the locals saw it and rescued those that they could .

We as a nation are spoiled .we haven't suffered and won in long time .

That's my point.we cry foul to easily .I can post homes that sold for 5 grand with no ac ,no drive way in some cases ,no garage .

Small ones . I could go into work camp photos of the depression where kids played while the parents picked fruit all day

The way I see it, financial problems is one of the major reasons why people hold back on getting married and/or having kids these days.

Its everything else, our roads are falling apart, political system has failed us, and pretty much everything else that can go wrong is going wrong.
I am glad my grandparents did not let these problems stop them from raising a family in the teeth of the Great Depression . I might not be here .
Bad Politics and Bad roads and bad times are a constant .

You got people actively destroying America, what are we doing about it?
You posted OWN a house .

You complained about ad valorem ,pot holes. You choose to live in a large city .I own property ,I pay ad valorem .imagine that I could fix pot holes .

And in no way am I saying that people shouldn't get married or have kids either. Its really up to them. Its when problems are getting extreme and ignored you will have a decline of marriages and families. I generally had made enough money for myself but realizing that I don't have enough for marriage or kids that's just among the issues. I know people that live in poverty often have families but then they're also relying on taxpayers to foot their bills.
I don't necessarily disagree. See my earlier post about the degradation of morals, values, and raising children to value things as marriage. Which has been my consistent response to you about your outlook. I've responded to you that way because as Christians we're supposed to understand the problems and that the solutions to those are deeper than simply politics and legislation.

Countries rise and fall, rise and fall, rise and fall. If the current list of countries all fell, a new list of countries would prop up and this will continue until Christ returns.

Either way, you've locked yourself into a way of looking at it that you're missing potential answers. For example:
I generally had made enough money for myself but realizing that I don't have enough for marriage or kids that's just among the issues.
I have no idea what you're bringing home monthly, but who's to say that your potential wife couldn't balance that out and together you'd both have more than enough to take care of each other and a family? But you've locked yourself into darkness thinking about this. I'm not saying this is an absolutely definite answer, but I don't know. Say you're bringing home just 30k/yr. What happens if your potential wife brings home 30k/yr. That's 60k/yr. That's just 17k/yr roughly more than the median income for a 2 family household and $10k/yr more than the median for a 3 family household and just 3k/yr less than a 4 family household in your state per Department of Health & Human Services, in which home ownership is considered affordable. Again, according to that report. Of course, depending on where you live, etc. and I realize that's just one source, and it's government. Didn't have the time to find something from decent economists. DOJ reports different numbers for spring of 2022. Investopedia also reports different numbers. I'm just pointing out the possibilities that you're likely missing by way of locking yourself into a particular frame of mind about the whole thing.

Overall, as I said, I don't disagree that culture has discouraged marriage overall. I've just responded to you the way that I have because I saw thinking in you that I once entertained before moving on from it.

Last edited:
The great depression was different times. You still had a roof over your head even though you didn't have a job. Banks are not going to care you can't find a job they're going to kick you out if you can't pay your mortgage.

My parents fought over money problems too. Basically what I keep hearing is we can't fix societies problems but we expect people to get married and have kids anyways.

The roads and politicians were not this bad. On my way home at work I was screaming in the car with all the people driving crazy like they've lost their minds. I guess when you're surrounded by evil is when things are at its lowest.. I'm guessing this isn't that big of a problem where you guys are.

But whatever, I've been taking a stand against evil because not enough people seem to care anymore. I've just been so angry and bitter throughout my life, dealing with the evils in this world today that maybe I'm just that much more aware of it.

I'm still only one person though and I can only do so much. Part of it though is if I see a problem, I have to just either pray it gets solved or solve it myself. Marriage and kids are just a distraction from that which is much more clearer to me now with having this discussion.

The negativity towards solving our problems in the world today will never get solved. If we thought this way all the time, we'd still be living in caves or huts.

The great depression was different times. You still had a roof over your head even though you didn't have a job. Banks are not going to care you can't find a job they're going to kick you out if you can't pay your mortgage.

My parents fought over money problems too. Basically what I keep hearing is we can't fix societies problems but we expect people to get married and have kids anyways.

The roads and politicians were not this bad. On my way home at work I was screaming in the car with all the people driving crazy like they've lost their minds. I guess when you're surrounded by evil is when things are at its lowest.. I'm guessing this isn't that big of a problem where you guys are.

But whatever, I've been taking a stand against evil because not enough people seem to care anymore. I've just been so angry and bitter throughout my life, dealing with the evils in this world today that maybe I'm just that much more aware of it.

I'm still only one person though and I can only do so much. Part of it though is if I see a problem, I have to just either pray it gets solved or solve it myself. Marriage and kids are just a distraction from that which is much more clearer to me now with having this discussion.

The negativity towards solving our problems in the world today will never get solved. If we thought this way all the time, we'd still be living in caves or huts.
No.my father in law was so poor that he didn't have milk or a car .

They repossed homes them ,banks failed and millionaires lost homes .

My phone's screen saver is an old bank that was closed because of the depression .my county didn't even have a court house until the wpa built it.for trails they used the ft Pierce one .

Homes weren't built much here until the thirties .the housing bust started before I my state .

There were cities who simply vanished while others like my employer ceased collecting taxes and funded itself on its utilities

Hawkman, I too am glad and thankful your grandparents still decided to start a family during the Great Depression. Perhaps people from the older generation were taught to be mentally stronger and therefore they embraced more challenges and accepted hardships more readily than what the younger people will now allow themselves to endure?

I don't mean to suggest younger people are naturally more selfish or greedy, but I think they are certainly aware of the importance of promoting self care, having a work-life balance, and finding their unique ways to adapt and survive in a world that is getting progressively more difficult, sinful, and confusing to live in. It is a shift in values to correspond with the changing times. After all, 1930's and 1940's looked rather different socially, spiritually, economically, culturally, politically, etc. compared to 2023.

Maybe our grandparents and great-grandparents had strong determination to overcome their adversaries and that's how they survived. But the younger people are having to face unprecedented challenges and pressure that are very complex in nature and seemingly impossible to solve through their own efforts. There are no quick fixes to getting them married soon and having kids-- even if they innately desire these things-- which is the tragedy of our time. Satan has carefully constructed a world-society that is moving towards the antithesis of God's original design and purpose for humanity-- to be fruitful and multiply (Genesis 1:28).

If anyone is wondering "How on earth did we reach this level of depravity?", one could suggest that Satan had the upper hand for a while in his game of chess. Perhaps we are living closer to the end times and we need to keep praying for God's wisdom, mercy, and grace.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back