Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
I don't live my life in the
mindset of following laws.

Neither do I.

I follow Christ.

Can a person follow Christ, without doing what He says?

If they don’t do what He says, they will eventually become lost.

JLB

I meditate on God's MAJESTY... I am in AWE of HIM... I praise HIM for everything HE DOES. I THANK HIM daily... and I WORSHIP HIM.... This keeps my mind busy all day.

Amen. These are great practices we all should consider doing.

Doing what you say, is the key.

Amen, and God bless you.

JLB

JLB.... You asked me if I knew what Grace was... I believe I do.
What I don't believe is that my SALVATION is in danger because of behaviour.
Salvation to me is a one time event... a supernatural one in fact... My soul has been
purchased by the PRECIOUS BLOOD OF CHRIST.

Losing salvation is a hot topic it seems... and there are many on board with this belief.

I believe that God is faithful to finish within me... that which HE has begun... I could write
testimony after testimony of that evidence in me.

I have had many debates with those whom I call the legalists... The ones who believe you can lose
salvation... and well... I'm debated out to be quite frank.

My life is lived in peace and with joy.... My heart is absolutely in LOVE with CHRIST... my devotion to HIM
is based on the fact that HE first loved me. My response to HIS love for me is to indeed obey HIM... but also
to PRAISE HIM in all things.

What I don't believe is that my SALVATION is in danger because of behaviour.
Salvation to me is a one time event... a supernatural one in fact... My soul has been
purchased by the PRECIOUS BLOOD OF CHRIST.

Losing salvation is a hot topic it seems... and there are many on board with this belief.

I never mentioned ”losing salvation”.

However I do believe we can wander from Him and become lost.

My comments are about the law, and what the scriptures say about love, and how His commandments are the essence of love.

For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome. 1 John 5:3

When we obey His commandments, we are obeying Love; for God is love.

If we disobey His love commandments, we are obeying hate.

His commandments are written on our heart and mind.

JLB

However I do believe we can wander from Him and become lost.
and we wander and become lost when we DON'T obey His commandments... LOL

I am sorry if I went off topic.

My point when it comes to law... is that often following the law becomes more important than following CHRIST.
I have seen this in so many Christians.

We are God's children... and children absolutely need guidance. I absolutely agree on this.

My life is lived in peace and with joy.... My heart is absolutely in LOVE with CHRIST... my devotion to HIM
is based on the fact that HE first loved me. My response is to HIS love for me is to indeed obey HIM... but also
to PRAISE HIM in all things.

I feel the same way, and desire to please Him by doing the things He asks me to do; to love Him by obeying Him.

Obeying Him, is walking in the truth.

I learned by His Spirit, to be able to worship Him in Spirit and truth, I must be walking in the truth. If I live my life entangled in the world then go into my prayer closet to worship Him, then I am not worshipping Him in truth.

Adulterers and adulteresses! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever therefore wants to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God. James 4:4

How much do the words “I love you” mean from a wife who has been with another man, to the husband she comes home to?

JLB

My point when it comes to law... is that often following the law becomes more important than following CHRIST.

His word is the law. If He teaches us that we must love our brother and we commit adultery with our brothers wife, is that loving our brother?

Whoever hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him. 1 John 3:15

JLB

I feel the same way, and desire to please Him by doing the things He asks me to do; to love Him by obeying Him.

Obeying Him, is walking in the truth.

I learned by His Spirit, to be able to worship Him in Spirit and truth, I must be walking in the truth. If I live my life entangled in the world then go into my prayer closet to worship Him, then I am not worshipping Him in truth.

Adulterers and adulteresses! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever therefore wants to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God. James 4:4

How much do the words “I love you” mean from a wife who has been with another man, to the husband she comes home to?
I suspect we are saying the SAME thing...but I admit... I have an aversion to the word LAW....

ABSOLUTELY ... because of my love for my Saviour.... I desire to please HIM. I desire to obey HIM ( which means obeying His commands ).

It grieves me to sin... because I know that I have been disobedient to HIS commands... I am a work in progress... I think perhaps I am just coming into this from the opposite angle as most... and that stems from much damage that my family has caused me with their insistence of following the law.... It has not at all been about love... it has been about duty and obedience... mixed in with harsh judgement.

Anyways.... I submit that I have a sensitivity to this topic... IN truth... all things of God in pure form are lovely... It's man who tampers with and perverts it.

Reactions: JLB
I suspect we are saying the SAME thing...but I admit... I have an aversion to the word LAW....

Yes I see that. You are a wonderful and amazing woman of God. Please don’t let anyone tell you differently.

The law of Christ = Love

JLB

Back to the title of the OP: WHY THE LAW?

Jesus upheld the laws demanding that the spirit as well as the legal aspects of the laws be observed. Jesus did not come to destroy the law, but to fulfill the law,

This comment from for_his_glory was in a response to me in a different thread. Jesus made an open show of their laws, did he not heal on the Sabbath? There is a belief among some that the holy spirit gives them the power to obey all the laws in the flesh, or as noted here, so they can observe all of the legal aspect of the Law.

But, Why the Law? When Jesus said: "Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart." Some take that as a new commandment, and add the simple thought of lust as a new sin to be overcome. Why Jesus said it is a sin if you hate your brother!

Why the Law? Is it not written the scripture hath concluded all under sin? (Gal 3:22) When Jesus said whosoever looks at a women with lust has already committed adultery he was not giving you a new commandment that you should live by, He was explaining the depth of the commandment that you might DIE by it, to complete in the law the ministration of Death that was given to Moses, who had to wear a vail over his face.

2 Corinthians 3:7
But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:

Matthew 5:17
Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

The Law is fulfilled in death, He did not come to destroy the law, but to finish the ministration of Death; Why the law? So that you might come to the knowledge of your death, so that you become dead to the law of sin, so that you might live after the Spirit and the law of Faith.

What are "legal" aspects of the law supposed to mean anyway? Are not the legal aspect of the law meant for the Judge? And what saith the scriptures? If you be a judge of the law, then you are not a doer of the law, but a judge!

This comment from @for_his_glory was in a response to me in a different thread. Jesus made an open show of their laws, did he not heal on the Sabbath? There is a belief among some that the holy spirit gives them the power to obey all the laws in the flesh, or as noted here, so they can observe all of the legal aspect of the Law.

If you are referring to the law of Moses, no need, it has been abolished in His flesh; nailed to the cross.

The law of Moses was the dividing wall of separation between Jew and Gentile; The New Covenant brings the two together in one new man, in Christ.

For He Himself is our peace, who has made both one, and has broken down the middle wall of separation, having abolished in His flesh the enmity, that is, the law of commandments contained in ordinances, so as to create in Himself one new man from the two, thus making peace, and that He might reconcile them both to God in one body through the cross, thereby putting to death the enmity.
Ephesians 2:14-16

The Holy Spirit does indeed empower us to obey the Lord; to obey the truth.

His commandments are written on our heart and mind for us to obey, so that we walk in truth; so we walk in love.

His commandments are about love; loving God and loving our neighbor.

By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and keep His commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome. 1 John 5:2-3

• By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and keep His commandments.

• For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome.

Wouldn’t you agree that desiring our neighbors things, or wife (covetousness), and so that we steal from him, or commit adultery with his wife, is not loving our neighbor but rather it’s hating him?

JLB

If you are referring to the law of Moses, no need, it has been abolished in His flesh; nailed to the cross.
The law of Moses was the dividing wall of separation between Jew and Gentile; The New Covenant brings the two together in one new man, in Christ.
For He Himself is our peace, who has made both one, and has broken down the middle wall of separation, having abolished in His flesh the enmity, that is, the law of commandments contained in ordinances, so as to create in Himself one new man from the two, thus making peace, and that He might reconcile them both to God in one body through the cross, thereby putting to death the enmity.
Ephesians 2:14-16
The Holy Spirit does indeed empower us to obey the Lord; to obey the truth.
His commandments are written on our heart and mind for us to obey, so that we walk in truth; so we walk in love.
His commandments are about love; loving God and loving our neighbor.
By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and keep His commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome. 1 John 5:2-3
  • By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and keep His commandments.
  • For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome.
Wouldn’t you agree that desiring our neighbors things, or wife (covetousness), and so that we steal from him, or commit adultery with his wife, is not loving our neighbor but rather it’s hating him JLB
Agreed.
Good post.

Reactions: JLB
When Adam and Eve were booted out of the garden, God placed before the gate a flaming sword that spun every which way. Why did he do that?
I believe it was to keep Adam and Eve out of the Garden so they wouldn't eat from the Tree of Life and live forever in their fallen state.

I believe it was to keep Adam and Eve out of the Garden so they wouldn't eat from the Tree of Life and live forever in their fallen state.

That would be correct. And now you should understand why the same words of the book produce differing theologies and doctrines: to keep the way to the tree of life.

That would be correct. And now you should understand why the same words of the book produce differing theologies and doctrines: to keep the way to the tree of life.

Would you mind answering my question?

Question —

Wouldn’t you agree that desiring our neighbors things, or wife (covetousness), and so that we steal from him, or commit adultery with his wife, is not loving our neighbor but rather it’s hating him?

JLB

It's been abolished? Nailed to the cross? How so?

For some reason when I open my bible, I find the law of Moses still in the words of the book. When Jesus said he who lusts has already committed adultery in his heart, that was and extension and clarification to the Law of Moses. Does that mean the words of Jesus have been abolished too?

Great. Now if his commandments are written on your heart, then why do you still need you bible? Do you not trust your heart? Have you allowed your faith to grow absent the bible?

No, I would not agree with your statement. You identified covetousness, which conveys the sense of envy, not hatred.

Would you mind answering my question?

Question —

JLB
you lack patience

posting the question over and over as you do denotes a sense of badgering. As an admin on this site, I thought you would know better.

It's been abolished? Nailed to the cross? How so?

For some reason when I open my bible, I find the law of Moses still in the words of the book. When Jesus said he who lusts has already committed adultery in his heart, that was and extension and clarification to the Law of Moses. Does that mean the words of Jesus have been abolished too?

For He Himself is our peace, who has made both one, and has broken down the middle wall of separation, having abolished in His flesh the enmity, that is, the law of commandments contained in ordinances, so as to create in Himself one new man from the two, thus making peace, and that He might reconcile them both to God in one body through the cross, thereby putting to death the enmity. Ephesians 2:14-16

The dividing wall of separation between Jew and Gentile was the law of Moses, which among other things forbids the intermingling and marriage by Jews to Gentiles.

And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses, having wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross. Colossians 2:13-14

Now that it has been abolished, Gentiles can be grafted into the commonwealth of Israel, and receive the blessing of Abraham, in Christ.

Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us (for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree”), that the blessing of Abraham might come upon the Gentiles in Christ Jesus, that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith. Galatians 3:13-14

JLB

Back