Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

A discussion on TOTAL DEPRAVITY

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Oh yeah.
Post Spurgeon as support for your reformed ideas.
That'll certainly convince us non-cals (as you call us).
:shame
Spurgeon was only the greatest EVANGELIST of his generation (and one of the greatest of all time) … so, yeah, what could he possibly know about salvation? :cool

(That’s like claiming Billy Graham has no idea what he is talking about when he discusses evangelism … one might disagree with the man, but only a fool can dismiss him as ignorant on the subject).

Follower of Christ; Christian

Spurgeon was only the greatest EVANGELIST of his generation (and one of the greatest of all time) … so, yeah, what could he possibly know about salvation? :cool

(That’s like claiming Billy Graham has no idea what he is talking about when he discusses evangelism … one might disagree with the man, but only a fool can dismiss him as ignorant on the subject).
Ouch!

Could somebody please explain to me what Arminius believed?
Thanks.
Free will. :hysterical (Just kidding).

The Five Articles of Remonstrances

Article 1 – Conditional election​

This article rejects the concept that election into Christ is unconditional. Rather, this article asserts that election is conditional upon faith in Christ, and that God elects to salvation those He knows beforehand will have faith in Him.

Article 2 – Unlimited atonement​

This article rejects the concept of limited atonement, which asserts that Christ only died for those God chooses to be saved. This article asserts that Christ died for all, but that salvation is limited to those who believe in Christ.

Article 3 – Total depravity​

This article affirms the total depravity of man, that man is unable to do the will of God, and cannot save himself, apart from the grace of God.

Article 4 – Prevenient grace​

This article rejects the concept of irresistible grace, contending that mankind has the free will to resist to the prevenient grace of God.

Article 5 – Conditional preservation of the saints​

This article rather than outright rejecting the notion of perseverance of the saints, argues that it may be conditional upon the believer remaining in Christ. The writers explicitly stated that they were not sure on this point, and that further study was needed.

Hearing that did not compel those Jesus told to "stop grumbling" in John 6:43 ... so there must be something MORE involved. "WHAT" that something is falls into the realm of human speculation
Not at all, because we know, some people were just tagging along. Not everyone grumbled, or left because the Messiah sad something they didn't understand at the time.
Can you see the point, how people, from reading and learning the OT scriptures, of how gracious, how loving, how merciful God is.....are "drawn to Jesus", because the same attribues of his Father are pouring out of him? No different than saying,

If God were your Father, ye would love me Jn.8:42
unless you know of a verse where God says "Some people believe and other's don't because ..." (and I have overlooked that verse with all my readings). 😉
[I suspect that information falls into "nunya" ... "none of your business. - GOD".]
The Bible plainly says why some believe and some don't, but the following reasons can all be reduced to the reason being pride, and ones decision to hang onto it, or let it go. To start, our Father wants to reason with sinners,

Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool. If ye be willing and obedient, ye shall eat the good of the land: But if ye refuse and rebel, ye shall be devoured with the sword: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it. Isa.1:18-20

I think the very famous Calvanist argument about how God "hardened Pharaohs' heart", is a good example of how God reasons with sinners. Here's the key,

For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. Rom.9:15

Here are the people God has mercy on,

to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at my word. Isa.66:2

So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy. Rom.9:16

In other words, it's not because of anything but Gods' righteousness, who is Christ, who showed us how patient he is with all sinner.....like Pharaoh?

For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth. Rom.9:17

What purpoe was that?

He, that being often reproved hardeneth his neck, shall suddenly be destroyed, and that without remedy. Pro.29:1

Now the Calvanist view, is that God didn't want Pharaoh to repent. God put the whammy on Pharaoh so he couldn't repent.

What you need to understand, is that God did no more to harden Pharaohs heart, than send Moses to him...with a demand. Pharaoh might even have laughed, as he was revered as a god.

Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will? Rom.9:19

The Calvanist view is that it was Gods' will to destroy Pharaoh, but try to think about the reason, the reproval, the patience, etc, which God shows towards all sinners,

Nay but, O man,who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus? Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour? Rom.9:20-21

I have previously on this forum directed Calvanists to Jer.18, which explains how God as potter forms the clay, but no one
commented on truth in Jer.18. Dead silence.

Other than a mistake in translation, where the scholars made a erred in Rom.9:22, by inserting the word "What" at the beginning of that verse, turning it into a question, instead of the word"if", which the verse actually begins with and means Paul is making a case. He's saying if God was willing to make his power known.... endured with lonsuffering the vessels of wrath (simply sinners) fitted to destruction (simply headed that way),

Now his conclusion, proving his points before),

What shall we say then? That the Gentiles, which followed not after righteousness,have attained to righteousness, even the righteousness which is of faith. Rom.9:30

Eight verses later (Rom.9:22-30) Pauls conclusion is that God makes his power known by enduring vessels on the road to destruction, which is what Jesus did,

Christ the power of God, a 1Cor.1:24

Not at all, because we know, some people were just tagging along. Not everyone grumbled, or left because the Messiah sad something they didn't understand at the time.
Can you see the point, how people, from reading and learning the OT scriptures, of how gracious, how loving, how merciful God is.....are "drawn to Jesus", because the same attribues of his Father are pouring out of him? No different than saying,

If God were your Father, ye would love me Jn.8:42

The Bible plainly says why some believe and some don't, but the following reasons can all be reduced to the reason being pride, and ones decision to hang onto it, or let it go. To start, our Father wants to reason with sinners,

Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool. If ye be willing and obedient, ye shall eat the good of the land: But if ye refuse and rebel, ye shall be devoured with the sword: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it. Isa.1:18-20

I think the very famous Calvanist argument about how God "hardened Pharaohs' heart", is a good example of how God reasons with sinners. Here's the key,

For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. Rom.9:15

Here are the people God has mercy on,

to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at my word. Isa.66:2

So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy. Rom.9:16

In other words, it's not because of anything but Gods' righteousness, who is Christ, who showed us how patient he is with all sinner.....like Pharaoh?

For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth. Rom.9:17

What purpoe was that?

He, that being often reproved hardeneth his neck, shall suddenly be destroyed, and that without remedy. Pro.29:1

Now the Calvanist view, is that God didn't want Pharaoh to repent. God put the whammy on Pharaoh so he couldn't repent.

What you need to understand, is that God did no more to harden Pharaohs heart, than send Moses to him...with a demand. Pharaoh might even have laughed, as he was revered as a god.

Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will? Rom.9:19

The Calvanist view is that it was Gods' will to destroy Pharaoh, but try to think about the reason, the reproval, the patience, etc, which God shows towards all sinners,

Nay but, O man,who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus? Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour? Rom.9:20-21

I have previously on this forum directed Calvanists to Jer.18, which explains how God as potter forms the clay, but no one
commented on truth in Jer.18. Dead silence.

Other than a mistake in translation, where the scholars made a erred in Rom.9:22, by inserting the word "What" at the beginning of that verse, turning it into a question, instead of the word"if", which the verse actually begins with and means Paul is making a case. He's saying if God was willing to make his power known.... endured with lonsuffering the vessels of wrath (simply sinners) fitted to destruction (simply headed that way),

Now his conclusion, proving his points before),

What shall we say then? That the Gentiles, which followed not after righteousness,have attained to righteousness, even the righteousness which is of faith. Rom.9:30

Eight verses later (Rom.9:22-30) Pauls conclusion is that God makes his power known by enduring vessels on the road to destruction, which is what Jesus did,

Christ the power of God, a 1Cor.1:24
WOW … so many words to tap dance around answering a simple question:

ACCORDING TO SCRIPTURE, WHY DO SOME BELIEVE AND OTHERS NOT BELIEVE?
(If the answer was hidden in your lengthy post, I didn’t see it.)

Oh, oh .. pick me, pick me ... I know, I know ...

John 1:12 But to as many as did receive and welcome Him, He gave the right [the authority, the privilege] to become children of God, that is, to those who believe in (adhere to, trust in, and rely on) His name— 13 who were born, not of blood [natural conception], nor of the will of the flesh [physical impulse], nor of the will of man , but of God [that is, a divine and supernatural birth—they are born of God—spiritually transformed, renewed, sanctified].

Psalm 139:16 Your eyes saw my unformed substance, and in Your book all the days [of my life] were written before ever they took shape, when as yet there was none of them. [Your life is written (not recorded) by God, we follow His script and not our own.
Proverbs 16:9 In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps.
Isaiah 26:12 Lord, You will establish peace for us, Since You have also performed for us all that we have done.
John 6:29 Jesus answered, “This is the work of God: that you believe [adhere to, trust in, rely on, and have faith] in the One whom He has sent.”
John 6:63 The Spirit is the one who gives life; human nature is of no help!
Romans 9:16 So then it depends not on human will or exertion [nations cannot “will” or “exert”], but on God, who has mercy.
Romans 9:14 What shall we say then? Is there injustice on God's part? By no means! 15 For he says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.” 16 So then it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God, who has mercy.
James 1:18 It was of His own will that He gave us birth [as His children]

.... I could do A LOT more

WOW … so many words to tap dance around answering a simple question:

(If the answer was hidden in your lengthy post, I didn’t see it.)
I must say, I half expected a response like this, but anyone can quote scripture without thinking about what it really means. Last Tuesday, a Baptist told me God couldn't look at his Son on the cross, then quoted,

You are of purer eyes than to behold evil,
And cannot look on wickedness Hab.1:13

instead of reading the rest of the same verse she cited and realize Habakuk was saying God is of purer eyes than to look at evil without doing anything to stop it.

Anyway, I asked the Baptist what she though about Gen.6:5 and when she read it, she repeated her belief that Gods' holiness prevents him from beholding evil.

It's astonishing. The heresy that God viewed his Son as evil got pounded into head.

Oh, oh .. pick me, pick me ... I know, I know ...

John 1:12 But to as many as did receive and welcome Him, He gave the right [the authority, the privilege] to become children of God,
They receive and welcome him before they have the power to become sons of God defeats Calvanist theology.
that is, to those who believe in (adhere to, trust in, and rely on) His name—
Yes, belief precedes sonship.
13 who were born, not of blood [natural conception],
Not because I'm a Jew related to Abraham (Please read Mt.3:9, Rom.9:7)
nor of the will of the flesh [physical impulse],
No gift to offer in place of repentance (Please see Psa.51:16, Lk.7:42
nor of the will of man ,
Certainly not by how superior one sinner believes himself to be over any other sinner (Please see Psa.143:2, Lk.18:9-14)
but of God [that is, a divine and supernatural birth—they are born of God—spiritually transformed, renewed, sanctified].
Of Gods' will., Please see Psa.28:13, Lk.15:17-18)
Psalm 139:16 Your eyes saw my unformed substance, and in Your book all the days [of my life] were written before ever they took shape, when as yet there was none of them. [Your life is written (not recorded) by God, we follow His script and not our own.
Proverbs 16:9 In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps.
Isaiah 26:12 Lord, You will establish peace for us, Since You have also performed for us all that we have done.
John 6:29 Jesus answered, “This is the work of God: that you believe [adhere to, trust in, rely on, and have faith] in the One whom He has sent.”
John 6:63 The Spirit is the one who gives life; human nature is of no help!
Romans 9:16 So then it depends not on human will or exertion [nations cannot “will” or “exert”], but on God, who has mercy.
Romans 9:14 What shall we say then? Is there injustice on God's part? By no means! 15 For he says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.” 16 So then it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God, who has mercy.
James 1:18 It was of His own will that He gave us birth [as His children]

.... I could do A LOT more
I'm going to post on the rest of this tomorrow, because it's important for others to see the truth of Christ throughout the entire Bible.

They receive and welcome him before they have the power to become sons of God defeats Calvanist theology.

Certainly not by how superior one sinner believes himself to be over any other sinner (Please see Psa.143:2, Lk.18:9-14)

I'm going to post on the rest of this tomorrow, because it's important for others to see the truth of Christ throughout the entire Bible.
Receiving as believing is a Spiritual action, so only those born Spiritually and which have Spiritual life can receive Spiritual Truth. Otherwise man naturally is dead to spiritual things.

John1:12 But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name,
You forgot verse 13
John 1:13 who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.

I must say, I half expected a response like this, but anyone can quote scripture without thinking about what it really means. Last Tuesday, a Baptist told me God couldn't look at his Son on the cross, then quoted,

You are of purer eyes than to behold evil,
And cannot look on wickedness Hab.1:13

instead of reading the rest of the same verse she cited and realize Habakuk was saying God is of purer eyes than to look at evil without doing anything to stop it.

Anyway, I asked the Baptist what she though about Gen.6:5 and when she read it, she repeated her belief that Gods' holiness prevents him from beholding evil.

It's astonishing. The heresy that God viewed his Son as evil got pounded into head.
The question was …
(If the answer was hidden in your latest post, I still don’t see it.)

[What is the value of “thinking about” non sequitur verses?]

This passage is in no way teaching that it was Gods' will, or that he directed anyone to sin against him.
He simply knows all.

Last edited:
Receiving as believing is a Spiritual action, so only those born Spiritually and which have Spiritual life can receive Spiritual Truth. Otherwise man naturally is dead to spiritual things.
That's not what Jn.1:12 says. Jn.1:12 is the same as,

He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost. Act.19:2

It's obvious how God has given to all people a mind that can reason about him before the Holy Spirit indwelt them.
I do remember telling you this before and remember receiving no comment back directly related to Act.19:2. You just ignored it.

Reactions: JLB
John1:12 But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name,
You forgot verse 13
John 1:13 who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.
Hello electedbyhim.
Please see post 408 regarding Jn.1:13

The question was …
(If the answer was hidden in your latest post, I still don’t see it.)
I I told you in post 404, "The Bible plainly says why some believe and some don't, but the following reasons can all be reduced to the reason being pride, and ones decision to hang onto it, or let it go.
[What is the value of “thinking about” non sequitur verses?]
The passages I cited have logical progression. I began with Isa.1:18, because it plainly says God desires to reason with people. You say it's "non sequitur", because the fact that God desires sinners to understand his reasoning isn't heresy.

You forgot verse 13

Yes, we know its God's will that not any should perish, but all come to repentance and be born again, through hearing and believing the gospel of Jesus Christ.

The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance. 2 Peter 3:9

Do you believe it's God's will that not anyone in the world would perish?

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16

JLB

Last edited:
A statement without foundation. Whereas I provide scripture to lay the ground work for my assertions; you do not.

??????

I'm going to post on the rest of this tomorrow,
No need .... your formulation of thought leaves me bewildered so save yourself time.

At least no one yelled at me this evening,
or called me a liar.
More evidence that you did not tell the truth .... you said reformed theology says God is unjust, unmerciful and unloving. You said you get you information from the WCF and John Calvin's Institutes .... well, I did some checking as I know you were propagating false statements again. I found the following regarding God's Justness, Love and Mercy in both the WCF and Calvin's Institute to further diminish your trustworthiness with solid evidence.

JUSTICE
WCF 3.7
for the glory of His sovereign power over His creatures, to pass by; and to ordain them to dishonour and wrath for their sin, to the praise of His glorious justice.
WCF 5.1
to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy
WCF 5.3
to raise them to a more close and constant dependence for their support upon Himself, and to make them more watchful against all future occasions of sin, and for sundry other just and holy ends.

MERCY
WCF 2.1
for His own glory; (Prov. 16:4, Rom. 11:36) most loving, (1 John 4:8,16) gracious, merciful, long-suffering, abundant in goodness
WCF 5.1
to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy.
WCF 15.2
the apprehension of His mercy in Christ

LOVE
WCF 3.5
out of His mere free grace and love,
WCF 17.1
they, whom God hath accepted in His Beloved
WCF 17.2
from the free and unchangeable love of God the Father

WCF quotes from https://westminsterstandards.org/westminster-confession-of-faith/

John Calvin Institutes

God’s Mercy

so that before God there remains nothing of which we can glory save only his mercy, by which, without any merit of our own, we are admitted to the hope of eternal salvation:[6]
Calvin, John. Institutes of the Christian Religion (Kindle Locations 275-276). Signalman Publishing. Kindle Edition.

in order that the great mercy of God may be celebrated in the heavenly mansions,
Calvin, John. Institutes of the Christian Religion (Kindle Location 733). Signalman Publishing. Kindle Edition.

The second class of works - viz. those above the ordinary course of nature, afford clear evidence of the perfections of God, especially his goodness, justice, and mercy
Calvin, John. Institutes of the Christian Religion (Kindle Locations 991-992). Signalman Publishing. Kindle Edition.

God’s Justice
The second class of works - viz. those above the ordinary course of nature, afford clear evidence of the perfections of God, especially his goodness, justice, and mercy
Calvin, John. Institutes of the Christian Religion (Kindle Locations 991-992). Signalman Publishing. Kindle Edition.

Under the influence of this feeling they are actually warring against God, justice being one of his essential attributes.
Calvin, John. Institutes of the Christian Religion (Kindle Locations 958-959). Signalman Publishing. Kindle Edition.

how he there displays his justice, goodness, and mercy.
Calvin, John. Institutes of the Christian Religion (Kindle Location 1173). Signalman Publishing. Kindle Edition.

God’s Love
obeying the commands of God, and that the highest possible felicity was to be loved by him.[141]
Calvin, John. Institutes of the Christian Religion (Kindle Locations 4434-4435). Signalman Publishing. Kindle Edition.

"After that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared,
Calvin, John. Institutes of the Christian Religion (Kindle Locations 6088-6089). Signalman Publishing. Kindle Edition.

.... you said reformed theology says God is unjust, unmerciful and unloving. You said you get you information from the WCF and John Calvin's Institutes .... well, I did some checking as I know you were propagating false statements again.
Fastfredy0

I know how much you love to beat on wondering, and I am reluctant to get in the middle, but just to set the record straight:
  1. I agree that neither the Institutes nor the WCF teach that God is “unjust, unmerciful and unloving”.
  2. Wondering actually DOES quote from the WCF and Calvin’s Institutes from time to time (far more than any other poster).
  3. Technically, I don’t think she claims that they SAY that God is “unjust, unmerciful and unloving”, rather I believe that her claim is that what the WCF and Institutes teach make God “unjust, unmerciful and unloving”. (I would need to search out her exact quote to confirm).
So while I agree with your conclusions, I fear that we (the ‘Calvinist’ side) may be somewhat mis-stating her position a bit. She is still WRONG, but she is not quite THAT wrong.

As for the personal animosity between you two, that’s a mutual choice … so have at it. 😉

More evidence that you did not tell the truth .... you said reformed theology says God is unjust, unmerciful and unloving. You said you get you information from the WCF and John Calvin's Institutes .... well, I did some checking as I know you were propagating false statements again. I found the following regarding God's Justness, Love and Mercy in both the WCF and Calvin's Institute to further diminish your trustworthiness with solid evidence.

JUSTICE
WCF 3.7
for the glory of His sovereign power over His creatures, to pass by; and to ordain them to dishonour and wrath for their sin, to the praise of His glorious justice.
WCF 5.1
to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy
WCF 5.3
to raise them to a more close and constant dependence for their support upon Himself, and to make them more watchful against all future occasions of sin, and for sundry other just and holy ends.

MERCY
WCF 2.1
for His own glory; (Prov. 16:4, Rom. 11:36) most loving, (1 John 4:8,16) gracious, merciful, long-suffering, abundant in goodness
WCF 5.1
to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy.
WCF 15.2
the apprehension of His mercy in Christ

LOVE
WCF 3.5
out of His mere free grace and love,
WCF 17.1
they, whom God hath accepted in His Beloved
WCF 17.2
from the free and unchangeable love of God the Father

WCF quotes from https://westminsterstandards.org/westminster-confession-of-faith/

John Calvin Institutes

God’s Mercy

so that before God there remains nothing of which we can glory save only his mercy, by which, without any merit of our own, we are admitted to the hope of eternal salvation:[6]
Calvin, John. Institutes of the Christian Religion (Kindle Locations 275-276). Signalman Publishing. Kindle Edition.

in order that the great mercy of God may be celebrated in the heavenly mansions,
Calvin, John. Institutes of the Christian Religion (Kindle Location 733). Signalman Publishing. Kindle Edition.

God’s Justice

Under the influence of this feeling they are actually warring against God, justice being one of his essential attributes.
Calvin, John. Institutes of the Christian Religion (Kindle Locations 958-959). Signalman Publishing. Kindle Edition.

how he there displays his justice, goodness, and mercy.
Calvin, John. Institutes of the Christian Religion (Kindle Location 1173). Signalman Publishing. Kindle Edition.

God’s Love
obeying the commands of God, and that the highest possible felicity was to be loved by him.[141]
Calvin, John. Institutes of the Christian Religion (Kindle Locations 4434-4435). Signalman Publishing. Kindle Edition.

"After that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared,
Calvin, John. Institutes of the Christian Religion (Kindle Locations 6088-6089). Signalman Publishing. Kindle Edition.
Thanks fred for proving my point.

Even Calvin and the WCF believe God is
LOVING
MERCIFUL
JUST

So why is that description of Him not reconciled with how He ACTS?

Plus, you should read my posts with more attention.

I NEVER said the reformed teach what you accuse me of,,,,

I said that this is how God turns out being BY THEIR DOCTRINE.
(unloving, unmerciful, unjust,)

See if you could figure out the difference.

And instead of systematic theology, read more of Calvin's Institutes and read the WCF, if you want to know calvinism really well.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back