Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Can true Christians lose their salvation ?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Bill, Let me ask you a couple of questions. What does Born again mean to you. You said that you were a Amillinialist. Do you believe the Church replaces Israel? What does the word church mean to you?

Sorry to get off track here, but I just wanted to understand your thelogy. And thanks for your comments, but I do disagree with you.

May God bless, golfjack

William Putnam said:
Nice try, jg, and I have to give you credit for attempting what you did here.

Again, I am a mere amateur of scripture and I need to study more.

I invite you to go to my profile and click on my website. Go to the apologetics section and you can see my feeble attempts at defending my Catholic Faith.

NOTE: I called you "jg" thoughout this reply and I see that is an error. Nexttime, can I just call you "Jack"? :)

God bless,

PAX

Bill+†+

Prayer for Peace by Pope John Paul II

O God, Creator of the universe, who extends your paternal concern over every
creature and guides the events of history in the goal of salvation, we acknowledge
your fatherly love when you break the resistance of mankind and, in a world torn
by strife and discord, you make us ready for reconciliation. Renew for us the
wonders of your mercy: send forth your Spirit that He may work in the intimacy
of hearts, that enemies may begin to dialogue, that adversaries may shake hands
and peoples may encounter one another in harmony. May all commit themselves to the
sincere search for true peace which will extinguish all arguments, for charity
which overcomes hatred, for pardon which disarms revenge. Amen.

Actually William
I believe you have me confused with Jack or Golfjack

You quoted:

1. "For the Law, since it has only a shadow of the good things to come and not the very form of things, can never by the same sacrifices year by year, which they offer continually, make perfect those who draw near," (Heb. 10:1).
2. "And every priest stands daily ministering and offering time after time the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins," (Heb. 10:11).

To which you replied:

JM said:
To sum it up, there is no further sacrifice for sin, Christ has accomplished it for us. It's done.

~JM~
PS: Thanks to carm.org for the info. :wink:

We would both agree here.

Christ died once and for all; further sacrifices unnecessary, right? :)

The Sacrifice of the Mass, which I attend daily (or as often as I can) that I may receive Our Lord in the Eucharist is not a re-sacrifice of Christ as I have attempted to explain to others who claim it is.

From our time flow view in this physical world, Christ Sacrifice on the Cross is applicable to the past, present and future, as there in no time in the Spiritual realm of heaven. But we here on earth, in order to see this timelessness, must repeat the ritual, which is not a re-sacrifice but rather a re-presentation of the same sacrifice. We do not Sacrifice Christ over and over and over again as some have claimed.

I don't know if you were leading that direction but I thought I would explain it up front.

You see, the precious treasure here for us Catholics is the fruit of the Mass - the Holy Eucharist.

The profundity of that belief is what brought me into the Catholic Church back in 1953...

pop[1].gif

God bless,

PAX

Bill+†+

I believe in God,
the Father Almighty,
Creator of heaven and earth;
and in Jesus Christ, His only Son,
Our Lord;
who was conceived by the holy Spirit,
born of the Virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, died,
and was buried.

He descended into hell;
the third day He arose again from the dead;
He ascended into heaven,
sitteth at the right hand of God,
the Father almighty;
from thence He shall come to judge
the living and the dead.

I believe in the holy Spirit,
the Holy Catholic Church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and life everlasting.

Amen.

- The Apostles Creed -

Solo said:
If one believes as the devils believe but are not born again, they can and will go back to the wallow pits that they are accustomed to; but those that are born again are believers in the work of Jesus Christ, and are sealed by the Holy Spirit until the day of redemption.

Ah,

So salvation DOES depend on you - on how much you believe... Apparently, there is some sort of "faith" meter in heaven that monitors at what point you are a "true" believer. Problem is that YOU don't know when your personal "faith" meter has moved beyond the "true believer" reading. So what is the point about discussing "true" believer? Who KNOWS they are one?

ALL Christians are initially sealed by the Spirit in Baptism when we are born again. But the Bible is VERY clear that some of these "sealed Christians" will lose their faith and will stray. Being human, it is very easy to fool ourselves into thinking that we are "true" believers. WE don't make that decision. God will judge whether we are a true believer. Those who are - and we will have an indication by our love - will enter into heaven. Those who are not true believers as determined by God (those who said "Lord, Lord" but did not do the will of the Father, for example, like nominal Catholics and Protestants) will not enter the kingdom.

Regards

jgredline said:
William
I noticed that you said you have a Greek bible...What I find odd is that you were; or are bright enough to notice that Paul uses two differant Greek words for Justification and yet you do not understand what those words mean. May I suggest an depth word study of those two words....Once you have seen the rich nature and meanings of those words, you will realize that once ''one is justified'' it is a done deal....God is not a man that he should lie....

Yeah, and it is a parallel bible, Greek and English (KJV) with a whole bunch of references that I use on occasion.

Now believing in Justification in the way it is written in Romans would mean having to leave the CC and the RCC beliefs on salvation....and actually, I don't often hear of one leaving a Christian Church and going to a CC unless of course its an episcopal or angelican church, in which case those are not christian churches anyway....

I attended the Church of the Nazarine in my youth, but was curious why the Catholic Church was all too often spoken against from the pulpit.

After I joined the Navy, I looked into it and found the charges false and misleading.

I became a Catholic in 1953 and I have not looked back since. :biggrin

God bless,

PAX

Bill+†+

Lord, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things that I can,
and the wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time,
enjoying one moment at a time;
accepting hardship as a pathway to peace;
taking, as Jesus did, this sinful world as it is,
not as I would have it;
trusting that you will make all things right
if I surrender to Your will;
so that I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with You forever in the next.
Amen.

JM said:
"The sacrifice of Christ and the sacrifice of the Eucharist are one single sacrifice," (CCC 1367)

Which, as you know, doesn't make sense...since we both agree the sacrifice was offered but once.

Why? Christ is God and ANYTHING He did as a man was done by God. Thus, His death on the cross not only occured in time 2000 years ago, but transcends time, since God is Himself timeless. Thus, Christ's one action on the cross is accessible to us in time through the Mass. Christ is the Priest and the Victim. The Victim is CONTINUOUSLY presented to the Father in heaven, as the Scriptures tell us.

JM said:
To sum it up, there is no further sacrifice for sin, Christ has accomplished it for us. It's done.

WHY would Jesus CONTINUE to intercede for us if all is done?

If it is "all done", then ALL men are saved, since Christ died for the sin of ALL men. Does this mean you believe that hell is empty of men and women born after 33 AD???

No, their is no further sacrifice for sin. But this sacrifice must be individually applied to us.

Regards

jgredline said:
Now believing in Justification in the way it is written in Romans would mean having to leave the CC and the RCC beliefs on salvation....and actually, I don't often hear of one leaving a Christian Church and going to a CC unless of course its an episcopal or angelican church, in which case those are not christian churches anyway....

We've been through this. Justification, sanctification and salvation are used interchangeably in the Scriptures.

the bible often refers to salvation as a past event, a present event, and a future event: "I was saved, I am being saved, I will be saved".

By ignoring this fact, you miss the teachings of Scriptures.

As to "I don't often hear of one leaving a Christian Church and going to a CC", you obviously don't know what you are talking about. There is a weekly TV show on EWTN called "Coming Home" that has Protestant PASTORS who "swim the Tiber". These are not "know-nothing" people un-instructed in Scriptures! I also have first hand experience every year of such people in my RCIA meetings. About half of the people coming into the Church every year are former Protestants - and they are NOT all "Anglicans or Episopalians".

There remains the possibility that you might be wrong.

Regards

Re: reply

golfjack said:
Bill, Let me ask you a couple of questions. What does Born again mean to you. You said that you were a Amillinialist. Do you believe the Church replaces Israel? What does the word church mean to you?

To be "born again" is to be done so with "water and spirit," words from Jesus' mouth to Nicodemus in John 3:5. And since Nicodemus is already born of his mother, "water" canot be the amniotic fluid of birth, or of a natural birth. Rather, "water" is the water of baptism, which "saves you now" per 1 Peter 3:21.

Israel if often used, I think, as a reference to the Church in some thinking, but I do not think of it that way, tending to say Christianity or church to refer to Christianity in general, reserving the word "Israel" to the Jews. But I do see Jerusalem used as a euphamism of heaven or our heavenly home.

The word "Church" is that "body of believers" that Jesus established in Matthew 16:18-19. It is obvious this Church is an authoratative Church, seen in the giving to Peter the "keys of the kingdom" and the power to "bind and loose." I also believe that this Church is infallible as promised by Christ in Matthew 16:18 that "the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it" and also the very ending sentence in Matthew 28:20, where He says, "...teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, until the end of the age." (Catholic NAB)

Sorry to get off track here, but I just wanted to understand your thelogy. And thanks for your comments, but I do disagree with you.

May God bless, golfjack

No problem, golfjack! :smt041

But after this reply, you most likely will not completely agree with me here! :)

God bless,

PAX

Bill+†+

- Anima Christi -

Soul of Christ, sanctify me.
Body of Christ, save me.
Blood of Christ, inebriate me.
Water from the side of Christ, wash me.
Passion of Christ, strengthen me.
O good Jesus, hear me;
Within Thy wounds hide me and permit
me not to be separated from Thee.
From the Wicked Foe defend me.
And bid me to come to Thee,
That with Thy Saints I may praise Thee,
For ever and ever. Amen.

Why? Christ is God and ANYTHING He did as a man was done by God. Thus, His death on the cross not only occured in time 2000 years ago, but transcends time, since God is Himself timeless. Thus, Christ's one action on the cross is accessible to us in time through the Mass. Christ is the Priest and the Victim. The Victim is CONTINUOUSLY presented to the Father in heaven, as the Scriptures tell us.

That contradicts what Hebrews plainly states, the one time offering.

WHY would Jesus CONTINUE to intercede for us if all is done?

Christ intercedes to answer prayers He knows we’ll pray.

If it is "all done", then ALL men are saved, since Christ died for the sin of ALL men. Does this mean you believe that hell is empty of men and women born after 33 AD???

Now you see where your logic will take you, to Universalism. But Christ’s blood was “shed for many,†not all. If you would like to debate me on this issue in the Formal Debate forum, I’d be honoured, but I haven’t been given the chance to argue or present a case for the particular redemption of God’s people.

No, their is no further sacrifice for sin. But this sacrifice must be individually applied to us.

If there is no further sacrifice for sin and Christ died for the all men, then all men everywhere, pagans and Christ haters included, will be saved.

francisdesales said:
We've been through this. Justification, sanctification and salvation are used interchangeably in the Scriptures.

And yet, you still don’t understand.

the bible often refers to salvation as a past event, a present event, and a future event: "I was saved, I am being saved, I will be saved".

I have that Pocket Guide to Catholic Apologetics as well that tells you to repeat "I was saved, I am being saved, I will be saved†every time you’re challenged about being saved.

By ignoring this fact, you miss the teachings of Scriptures.

By making this statement you link sanctification with there salvation, as if sanctification leads to justification, but we are saved by Christ and His blood.

As to "I don't often hear of one leaving a Christian Church and going to a CC", you obviously don't know what you are talking about. There is a weekly TV show on EWTN called "Coming Home" that has Protestant PASTORS who "swim the Tiber". These are not "know-nothing" people un-instructed in Scriptures! I also have first hand experience every year of such people in my RCIA meetings. About half of the people coming into the Church every year are former Protestants - and they are NOT all "Anglicans or Episopalians".

Most, including Scott Hahn, seem to understand little about the Reformation and if you visit Puritanboard.com and do a search for Hahn you’ll soon see how he truly doesn’t understand Biblical Christianity. As for Anglicans and Episcopalians, they’re Prots and you’ll soon find those who leave Protestant Churches are leaving liberal denominations which do not teach the Scriptures and not Bible believing Churches. I even own a few EWTN “Coming Home†videos and the common theme is the need to be told what to believe.

There remains the possibility that you might be wrong.

Ditto.

Ditto.

MrVersatile48 said:
I've just read this whole page, plus quite a bit of Bill's kinda sad www - (sorry, Bill, but no way is the RCC infallible: anyone who knows their Bible reasonably well can see many errors in RC cataclysmically catastrophic catechism

& I only have time now to link to where many threads @ different aspects are somewhat humourously linked:-

http://www.christianforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=24079

First of all, don't worry, as my doing this for 20+ yesrs finds my words rebuffed plenty of times! :)

If you have the time, perhaps you could give me at least the most significant ways, from scripture, where the Catholic Church is in error as you believe.

I did take a quick look at the link above, noting off hand the comment about the blond hair, fair skin of images of the Blessed Virgin Mary. It should not surprise you that she should appear as she is so depicted through European eyes.

Interestingly, in Japan, she is depected as a Japanese maid, in Japanese clothes! :)

But we do have a "photograph" of her, sorta...

The Image of Our Lady of Guadalupe is an image left inside of tilma of St. Juan Diego which science cannot explain, the coloring is "in" the fiber, not on it, and not of human origin.

What does she look like? Would you believe she looks like an Astec indian maiden? :)

It's amazing what God can do... :-D

God bless,

PAX

Bill+†+

"Listen, my son, to what I tell you now. Do not be troubled,
nor disturbed by anything, nor pain, Are you not under my
shadow, my protection? And am I not life and health? Do
you need anything else? Do not be troubled, or take thought
of your uncle's illness, for he will not die of this seizure,
and is well even now"

What the vision of Our Lady of Guadalupe said to Juan Diego,
just before he discovered that his uncle was completely cured.

Hi Bill!

Only time now to post John 3, Romans 3, Galatians 2:15-16 & Ephesians 2:8-9 @ the way of salvation justification by faith. apart from works

1 John 5 says God wants us to KNOW we are saved

Must go

Ian

MrVersatile48 said:
Hi Bill!

Only time now to post John 3, Romans 3, Galatians 2:15-16 & Ephesians 2:8-9 @ the way of salvation justification by faith. apart from works

John 3 is interesting, but I don't know which verse(s) you want me to read, but I am interested in your take of John 3:5. :)

Romans 3? Which verses?

In Gal 2:15-16, who is Paul talking to? Jewish converts to Christ! And of course the greatest danger of such converts is the tendency to revert to the old Mosiac laws which no longer apply to the Christian.

As for Eph 2:8-9, disregarding if Paul was speaking to Jewish converts or not, we can both agree here. There is nothing I can do to save myself, except by the grace of God.

1 John 5 says God wants us to KNOW we are saved

Must go

Ian

When you return, I would, of course, have you to exegete James 2:24 and 2:26, but to guide you a little bit, the works James is speaking of here is not the old Moasic laws Paul was speaking about in his writings, but that faith must be accompanied by works of hope and charity. Actually, the Catholic definition of faith includes the fruits of that faith, our actions in those works of hope and charity.

I hope that helps... :-D

God bless,

PAX

Bill+†+

I believe in God,
the Father Almighty,
Creator of heaven and earth;
and in Jesus Christ, His only Son,
Our Lord;
who was conceived by the holy Spirit,
born of the Virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, died,
and was buried.

He descended into hell;
the third day He arose again from the dead;
He ascended into heaven,
sitteth at the right hand of God,
the Father almighty;
from thence He shall come to judge
the living and the dead.

I believe in the holy Spirit,
the Holy Catholic Church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and life everlasting.

Amen.

- The Apostles Creed -

francisdesales said:
Christ is God and ANYTHING He did as a man was done by God. Thus, His death on the cross not only occured in time 2000 years ago, but transcends time, since God is Himself timeless. Thus, Christ's one action on the cross is accessible to us in time through the Mass. Christ is the Priest and the Victim. The Victim is CONTINUOUSLY presented to the Father in heaven, as the Scriptures tell us.

JM said:
That contradicts what Hebrews plainly states, the one time offering.

That offering is ongoing and continues. It hasn't stopped nor will it ever stop. On earth, the Christ died once. But this Christ offers what was done on earth continuously to the Father, as Revelation tells us. Remember, what happens in heaven is outside of time and is eternally NOW.

JM said:
Christ intercedes to answer prayers He knows we’ll pray.

Your view of time in heaven seems to be the problem. Time doesn't exist in heaven. Thus, any references to things done already or things that will be done are incorrect notions - trying to use human experience to explain what God does. God's view is ALL of time as one event, one NOW. Thus, creation and the end of time are all seen as one moment. So when we pray, it is all part of the one moment that God sees outside of time. This is why the Scripture speaks of interceding in the present tense. Because God lives in the present tense.

Secondly, are you suggesting that Christ only prays for those who will respond to Him? Scripture says that God desires ALL men to be saved, and that Christ died for ALL men, and that God's graces rain down on ALL men.

JM said:
Now you see where your logic will take you, to Universalism. But Christ’s blood was “shed for many,†not all. If you would like to debate me on this issue in the Formal Debate forum, I’d be honoured, but I haven’t been given the chance to argue or present a case for the particular redemption of God’s people.

Universalism? I don't believe that all people will be saved. I believe that God has given man free will and has included our response in the formula on whether a man will be saved or not. To what degree God considers a man's response as "good enough" is beyond me. But I do know from Scriptures that God does not only die for the sake of SOME men, but ALL men. Applying this grace given to ALL men is a matter of what we Catholics call "subjective redemption". Christ's work is called "objective redemption", which effects everyone. Whether it becomes effective for an individual will be thus dependent on other factors. As a result, Christ CONTINUES to intercede for man.

JM said:
If there is no further sacrifice for sin and Christ died for the all men, then all men everywhere, pagans and Christ haters included, will be saved.

No. God takes our actions and responses into account. Otherwise, there would be no need to worry about our responsibilities to obey God.

JM said:
I have that Pocket Guide to Catholic Apologetics as well that tells you to repeat "I was saved, I am being saved, I will be saved†every time you’re challenged about being saved.

It is quite effective, because I have not seen a Protestant argument that overturned it yet. Clearly, definitions are important, don't you think? Thus, when YOU say you are saved, you are clearly meaning something totally different to my understanding, because I consider the TOTAL Scriptures - and the fact that salvation is a journey, not a one time event ONLY.

JM said:
Most, including Scott Hahn, seem to understand little about the Reformation and if you visit Puritanboard.com and do a search for Hahn you’ll soon see how he truly doesn’t understand Biblical Christianity. As for Anglicans and Episcopalians, they’re Prots and you’ll soon find those who leave Protestant Churches are leaving liberal denominations which do not teach the Scriptures and not Bible believing Churches. I even own a few EWTN “Coming Home†videos and the common theme is the need to be told what to believe.

If former pastors don't "understand" Protestantism, apparently you don't teach your students very well. Or is the fact that YOUR version of Protestantism (the one that claims for itself to be "true" biblical Christianity) makes the same claim that every other Protestant makes for itself? Can you argue with Solo or Golfjack and determine WHOSE version is "Biblical Christianity" and come to agreement? Will Solo or Golfjack say "boy, JM is right. Hmm. I was wrong the whole time. Where do I sign on?"

Unfortunately, making yourself the "magesterium" is not a logical means of achieving the truth.

As to me being wrong - of course. I may misunderstand Catholicism's teaachings. As to the Church being wrong, on matters of faith and morals, impossible. I trust in God's guidance of the pillar and foundation of the truth.

Regards

a trivial point, (to some, I'm sure), but what if a Christian were to accept the 'mark of the beast'? According to scripture, these SURELY will LOOSE their salvation, true? And what about the Christian that is forced to face a situation that they end up blaming God for NOT allowing 'their will' instead of His? Could someone of this type situation NOT 'turn their backs on God', choosing to 'hate' Him instead of accepting His love any longer. Would not these too 'loose' their salvation?

Just a couple of questions for those that believe that one 'cannot' loose their salvation.

MEC

Imagican said:
a trivial point, (to some, I'm sure), but what if a Christian were to accept the 'mark of the beast'? According to scripture, these SURELY will LOOSE their salvation, true? And what about the Christian that is forced to face a situation that they end up blaming God for NOT allowing 'their will' instead of His? Could someone of this type situation NOT 'turn their backs on God', choosing to 'hate' Him instead of accepting His love any longer. Would not these too 'loose' their salvation?

Just a couple of questions for those that believe that one 'cannot' loose their salvation.

MEC
Your first question is, "Can a Christian receive the MARK of the Beast and then loose his/her salvation?"

Let us look at the scripture.

Those that worship the beast and his image and receive his mark will suffer the wrath of God. Note that one must worship the beast and his image AND receive the mark of the beast. True believers will not worship the beast.

9 And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand, 10 The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb: 11 And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name. 12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus. Revelation 14:9-12

Those that worship the beast and have his mark will suffer the wrath of God. Notice in Revelation 16:2 that those that worship the beast and have the mark will have a noisome and grievous sore upon them.

2 And the first went, and poured out his vial upon the earth; and there fell a noisome and grievous sore upon the men which had the mark of the beast, and upon them which worshipped his image. Revelation 16:2

It appears that those who receive the mark of the beast must worship the beast and his image to qualify them for the mark. Jesus states that the time will be cut short for the elects sake in Matthew 24.

21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be. 22 And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened. 23 Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not. 24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect. 25 Behold, I have told you before. 26 Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not. 27 For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. 28 For wheresoever the carcase is, there will the eagles be gathered together. 29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken: 30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. 31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other. Matthew 25:21-31

As far as turning ones back on God, Jesus says that even one that blasphemes against Jesus will have his sin forgiven him. Those that are born again have God dwelling within them, and the New Creature that is redeemed of man will be taken to heaven or received unto Christ at his coming. The flesh may be destroyed but the New creature is eternally secure in Jesus Christ.

31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. 32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come. Matthew 12:31-32

Imagican said:
a trivial point, (to some, I'm sure), but what if a Christian were to accept the 'mark of the beast'?
Can't happen - the body of Christ is not in the book of Revelation any way shape or form - couldn't find it with an electron microscope. So this mark of the beast stuff is a non issue as associated with a true saint today.

The book of Revelation is tied to Israel as a nation and is the subject of prophecy.

The church is the subject of the mystery.

AVBunyan said:
Can't happen - the body of Christ is not in the book of Revelation any way shape or form - couldn't find it with an electron microscope. So this mark of the beast stuff is a non issue as associated with a true saint today.

The book of Revelation is tied to Israel as a nation and is the subject of prophecy.

The church is the subject of the mystery.

This is exactly my thought when I read mecs post... :smt023

Jay T said:
Explain these 3 Bible verses:

#1.) Exodus 32:33 And the LORD said unto Moses, Whosoever hath sinned against me, him will I blot out of my book.

QUESTION: What Book ?
The book of life will have the names of those who have not had faith in God to give them eternal life. How many have not sinned against God?

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life. John 5:24

For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth. Romans 10:4

1 Furthermore then we beseech you, brethren, and exhort you by the Lord Jesus, that as ye have received of us how ye ought to walk and to please God, so ye would abound more and more. 2 For ye know what commandments we gave you by the Lord Jesus. 3 For this is the will of God, even your sanctification, that ye should abstain from fornication: 4 That every one of you should know how to possess his vessel in sanctification and honour; 5 Not in the lust of concupiscence, even as the Gentiles which know not God: 6 That no man go beyond and defraud F8 his brother in any matter: because that the Lord is the avenger of all such, as we also have forewarned you and testified. 7 For God hath not called us unto uncleanness, but unto holiness. 8 He therefore that despiseth, despiseth not man, but God, who hath also given unto us his holy Spirit. 1 Thessalonians 4:1-8

Jay T said:
#2.) Revelation 3:5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God? 1 John 5:5

Jay T said:
#3.) Revelation 22:19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and [from] the things which are written in this book.

18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: Revelation 22:18

People can fall from faith. The Bible warns, "If you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don't fall" (! Corinthians 10:12). Some among the Galatians had believed for a while, but had fallen into soul-destroying error. Paul warned them, "You who are trying to be justified by law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace" (Galatians 5:4). In his explanation of the parable of the sower, Jesus says, "Those on the rock are the ones who receive the word with joy when they hear it, but they have no root. They believe for a while, but in time of testing they fall away" (Luke 8:13). According to Jesus a person can believe for a while and then fall away. While they believed they possessed eternal salvation, but when they fell from faith they lost God's gracious gift.

Those who have fallen from faith must be reconverted if they are going to be saved. As Christians we will want to call those who have fallen to repentance (sorrow for sin and trust in Jesus for forgiveness). St. Paul writes, "Brothers, if someone is caught in a sin, you who are spiritual should restore him gently. But watch yourself, or you also may be tempted (Galatains 6:1).

The purpose of church discipline is to bring people to repentance. Jesus instructs, "If your brother sins against you, go and show him his fault just between the two of you. If he listens to you, you have won your brother over. But if he will not listen, take one or two others along, so that 'every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.' If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, treat him as you would a pagan or a tax collector. I tell you the truth, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven" (Matthew 18:15-18).

The Lord sent Nathan the prophet to call King David to repentance after his double sin of adultery with Bathsheba and the murder of her husband Uriah (2 Samuel 12:1-23). Jesus brought Peter to repentance with a look that recalled his warning that Peter would deny him and Peter's vain boast that he would never deny him or forsake Jesus (Mathhew 26:69-75).

Christian love demands that we call sinners to repentance lest they turn their backs on their Savior and be lost forever.

Source

Fnerb said:
People can fall from faith. The Bible warns, "If you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don't fall" (! Corinthians 10:12). Some among the Galatians had believed for a while, but had fallen into soul-destroying error. Paul warned them, "You who are trying to be justified by law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace" (Galatians 5:4). In his explanation of the parable of the sower, Jesus says, "Those on the rock are the ones who receive the word with joy when they hear it, but they have no root. They believe for a while, but in time of testing they fall away" (Luke 8:13). According to Jesus a person can believe for a while and then fall away. While they believed they possessed eternal salvation, but when they fell from faith they lost God's gracious gift.

Those who have fallen from faith must be reconverted if they are going to be saved. As Christians we will want to call those who have fallen to repentance (sorrow for sin and trust in Jesus for forgiveness). St. Paul writes, "Brothers, if someone is caught in a sin, you who are spiritual should restore him gently. But watch yourself, or you also may be tempted (Galatains 6:1).

The purpose of church discipline is to bring people to repentance. Jesus instructs, "If your brother sins against you, go and show him his fault just between the two of you. If he listens to you, you have won your brother over. But if he will not listen, take one or two others along, so that 'every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.' If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, treat him as you would a pagan or a tax collector. I tell you the truth, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven" (Matthew 18:15-18).

The Lord sent Nathan the prophet to call King David to repentance after his double sin of adultery with Bathsheba and the murder of her husband Uriah (2 Samuel 12:1-23). Jesus brought Peter to repentance with a look that recalled his warning that Peter would deny him and Peter's vain boast that he would never deny him or forsake Jesus (Mathhew 26:69-75).

Christian love demands that we call sinners to repentance lest they turn their backs on their Savior and be lost forever.

Source

With your understanding that one can fall from salvation, one must "invent" a means by which one can be "re-converted". There can be no "re-conversion" to become born of God, born again.

According to Hebrews there can be no "re-conversion".

4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, 5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, 6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

The Scripture says that it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, and have tasted the good word of God, and of the world powers to come, IF THEY SHALL FALL AWAY, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing that they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put Him to an open shame.

This is one of the verses that God used to convince me that once one was born of God, born again, one was eternally secure with his eternal life in the hands of Jesus Christ. If it is impossible for one to repent and be "re-converted" then why did Jesus tell the seven churches in Revelation to repent of their hideous acts of sin? Why does Paul write of turning one over to satan for his hideous acts of sin so that his flesh could be destroyed but his spirit SAVED in the day of Jesus Christ? (1 Corinthians 5) Why does Paul tell the young believers at Corinth that it matters how one builds their life upon their foundational faith in Jesus Christ so that their works are not burned up as wood, hay, and stubble; yet they will be saved?

At one time in my early walk as a believer I thought that one could lose their salvation, and I had many, many verses of scripture that I thought backed my position. I was wrong. Once one is born again, he is sealed by the Holy Spirit until the day of redemption. (Ephesians 1 and Ephesians 4).

Hebrews 6 is talking to the Hebrews about the only sacrifice that is able to save one, no matter how much knowledge one has about the things of God. There is no other sacrifice to atone for sins other than Christ Jesus' work on Calvary that can save one. Other attempts of works or sacrifices only put Jesus' work to an open shame. To claim that we must repent again and again and again to become born again places Jesus crucifixion as weak an unable to do as God intended. Once one is born again, it is a done deal; however believers ought to walk according to the word of God so that their flesh is not destroyed and their rewards are nonexistant or small.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back