Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Defending the faith: A discussion of Catholic Doctrine

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Matthew 16:19-23, "I will give you [future tense] the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.” Then he sternly ordered the disciples not to tell anyone that he was the Messiah. From that time on, Jesus began to show his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem and undergo great suffering at the hands of the elders and chief priests and scribes and be killed and on the third day be raised. And Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him, saying, “God forbid it, Lord! This must never happen to you.” But he turned and said to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan! You are a hindrance to me, for you are setting your mind not on divine things but on human things.”

Peter received a lot more than the keys (which supposedly would be given to him at a future time). There is no indication that Peter was actually given the keys!!! I doubt that Jesus would give the keys to someone He called "Satan"!
After Pentecost before he ascended

LOL!!! That is unScriptural!!!

I clearly understand why Catholics refute sola scriptura! They think that they can add anything that they want to what the Bible states and call it valid. But it isn't!!!
Never said that: the sacred deposit of faith is from Christ to his apostolic church, no new doctrine or revelation Jude 1:3

Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again.[a]”
[a] born from above

Nicodemus
Flesh gives birth to flesh, but Spirit gives birth to spirit.

Accordingly Jesus was speaking of being born from above by the Spirit in regard to this new birth. (Born of God)

This is cohesive with Pauls writings about those who belong to Christ.
You, however, are not in the realm of the flesh but are in the realm of the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, they do not belong to Christ
But if Christ is in you, then even though your body is subject to death because of sin, the Spirit gives life d because of righteousness. 11And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies because of his Spirit who lives in you.

d 10 Or you, your body is dead because of sin, yet your spirit is alive

Test to see if your in the faith -Church fellowship, which is encouraged by the way, or the Spirit of Christ in you?

Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you—unless, of course, you fail the test?

How do we receive this Spirit? by the Church or by grace through faith in Christ?
I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by believing what you heard?

I want you to know, brothers and sisters, that the gospel I preached is not of human origin. 12 I did not receive it from any man, nor was I taught it; rather, I received it by revelation from Jesus Christ.

“We who are Jews by birth and not sinful Gentiles 16 know that a person is not justified by the works of the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law, because by the works of the law no one will be justified.

Jesus to Paul

I have appeared to you to appoint you as a servant and as a witness of what you have seen of me and what I will show you. to open their eyes and turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, so that they may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faith in me. '
Only by water and the spirit (baptismal regeneration) are we born again, new creation in Christ

How did the eunuch know about baptism in acts 8 if the apostles only taught “faith alone”?

The Apostles only sought, as they gleamed from the scriptures, "let another take his place", to replace the one and only one who abandoned His office. Judas not set a trend of succession. As pointed out a office that extended beyond the life of the body as one who would sit on one of 12 thrones judging the tribes of Israel. Were the other 12 apostles replaced when they died?

We know from Paul's letters God set him aside from the womb. (birth) So God already had "HIS" replacement chosen not by works or someone from the beginning of Christs ministry but by His sovereignty and grace who would learn what testimony to state by revelation from Christ Jesus. As Peter stated of Paul who writes from the wisdom God gave Him in all his letters.

The Apostles chose 2 candidates, with their criteria, prayed then cast lots. They did not know about Paul at that time and failed to wait for an answer to their prayers. This is in their favor "their motive was pure" and again "they could not know about Paul at that time"

I don't hold to "Apostolic" succession. Any selected Pastor or leader of a congregation should faithfully teach and preach accurately from the written testimony which in regard to the gentile churches and the one imprisoned in Rome who furthered that gospel from prison in Rome was "Paul". Christs choice to carry His message to the gentiles. Rome was of the gentiles.
The church does not require scripture to know the truth!
It was revealed to them by Christ in person for three yrs Jude 1:3

sound like scripture alone?

1 cor 15:1 Now I make known unto you, brethren, the gospel which I preached to you, which also you have received, and wherein you stand;

That’s tradition!

Sound like faith alone?
2 pet 1:5

And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;

All faith without charity avails NOTHING!

Not called to faith alone! Phil 1:9 James 2:24

Three things are eternal not and never “faith alone”!

Do you accept the decrees of the holy and apostolic councils of the church founded by Christ?

Only by water and the spirit (baptismal regeneration) are we born again, new creation in Christ

How did the eunuch know about baptism in acts 8 if the apostles only taught “faith alone”?
The 2nd birth as asked by Nicodemus was being born from above by the spirit as Jesus stated.
Do you need education on what the first birth is?
So what was added was born of the Spirit. Jesus stated both together.

The church does not require scripture to know the truth!
It was revealed to them by Christ in person for three yrs Jude 1:3
In regard to Matthias as stated they quoted the scripture. So they gleamed from the scripture their cause.
and,
“‘May another take his place of leadership.’

Jesus, as was the custom in the synagogue,read from the scripture.
How do you or anyone in the church know the truth of the gospels without reading what took place and was taught? Those truths are taught and read as reminders and were written for future generations.
The church is not a prophet of God.

They wrote nothing but still taught according to Matt 28:19
The teaching authority of christ
So apparently the church does need that teaching source which was written down.
That's not added authority. Its written down. I believe Paul was very involved in the gentile churches as well as criteria for leadership. Jesus was involved with His chosen 12.

Christ and his church are one! Acts 9:4 eph 5:32
The church necessary for salvation cos it’s the new covenant
1 cor 12:13
Grace through faith in Christ Jesus
If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved. 11As Scripture says, “Anyone who believes in him will never be put to shame.” e 12For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, 13for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

Note her confession on what was believed.

Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; 26and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”

27“Yes, Lord,” she replied, “I believe that you are the Messiah, the Son of God, who is to come into the world.”

The 2nd birth as asked by Nicodemus was being born from above by the spirit as Jesus stated.
Do you need education on what the first birth is?
So what was added was born of the Spirit. Jesus stated both together.
No it says born again by WATER AND THE SPIRIT
JN 3:5

In regard to Matthias as stated they quoted the scripture. So they gleamed from the scripture their cause.
and,
“‘May another take his place of leadership.’

Jesus, as was the custom in the synagogue,read from the scripture.
How do you or anyone in the church know the truth of the gospels without reading what took place and was taught? Those truths are taught and read as reminders and were written for future generations.
The church is not a prophet of God.
Jn 14:6 Christ is the truth!
1 Tim 3:15 church the pillar of truth!
Christ is the Light of the world: Jn 8:12 / apostles the light of the world Matt 5:14
Must Hear Christ Matt 17:5 must hear the church Matt 18:17

Grace through faith in Christ Jesus
If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved. 11As Scripture says, “Anyone who believes in him will never be put to shame.” e 12For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, 13for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

Note her confession on what was believed.

Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; 26and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”

27“Yes, Lord,” she replied, “I believe that you are the Messiah, the Son of God, who is to come into the world.”

You cannot enter the kingdom

Jn 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

2 Peter 1:11
For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

No one is born again by “faith alone”!
Faith and baptism

Jn 14:6 Christ is the truth!
1 Tim 3:15 church the pillar of truth!
Christ is the Light of the world: Jn 8:12 / apostles the light of the world Matt 5:14
Must Hear Christ Matt 17:5 must hear the church Matt 18:17
How do you know this? Did you read your bible?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back