Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Does the Holy Spirit move after Acts?

I am not a "So called" miracle healer, but I have had God's gift of healing applied to a dead child with a broken neck in my hands as I cried out to God. Gifts are given severely as God chooses; not us.

Have I received the Holy Spirit since I believed? oh yes. Should I exercise that faith given me in ministering to others? yes again. I have seen large growths disappear in group prayer, lives made whole again out of a life of despair in a moment of time. Praying online for a brother diagnosed with an inoperable huge cancerous growth in his windpipe or whatever it is and lungs laying in the hospital ICU gasping for air waiting for the bad news, he said he was in the worst depression of his life. He was prayed for, and the next morning before going further with treatment the doctor wanted one follow-up MRI or whatever before starting any treatment. What? they found nothing left but some residual matter; the doctor couldn't believe it and that soon cleared up.

One dear brother here talks of "When the perfect Comes" as relating to gifts no longer being in effect, and that's exactly what I preached as a doctrine of a church I attended prior to being filled with the Holy Spirit. I now view that as when we are caught up into the very presence of our Savior face to face.

I do not have to go into the world looking for a place to apply any gift my Lord gives me; He brings them to me. Two weeks ago my neighbor called me to come to her house and help set up an oxygen compressor to fill spare bottles so she could become mobile. I had no idea she had become dependent on it; she had just gone to the doctor and they rushed her to the hospital and walla; here's what we have for you. After a week she came home to her family fully equipped to spend the remainder of her life on a breathing apparatus. I asked if I could pray for her and she and her husband agreed. Within the week the company came and removed all the equipment.

I do not know the answers to all of God's wondrous love and care of us, as many times I pray seemingly to no effect, but I do believe God always does that which is right. I reckon the Apostle Paul may have wondered somewhat like that when he prayed three times to have God remove the thorn in his flesh in 2 Corinthians 12:8-9, but God left it there for his good.

As Christians we are given bodily and spiritual gifts; what are they? You'll never know unless you go forth in faith. Are you afraid to pray for something because you think you are responsible for the outcome? If not, our prayer forum would be filled with your prayers seeking help for those coming to us in need. In all our times of need we are told to go to God's throne of grace, and I put that into practice daily. How do I know that God hasn't given me a gift of healing for that poor soul coming to us asking for prayer? I don't but I pray anyhow. We read in Proverbs 18:16 that "A man's gift maketh room for him."

Now I have ended up just rambling on but I hope it is an encouragement for some of you to go forth in the power of God available to you in Jesus' name.

This is a wonderful testimony Eugene. Thank you and praise the Lord.

I don't know why Christians are so afraid of the Holy Spirit.

No where does it show in the Bible that the Holy Spirit is ONLY for the Aspostles. You can *interpret* it to mean that way, but Jesus never says: You guys and no one else will be able to do my works filled with the Holy Spirit. It's ONLY YOU GUYS.

That passage is left up to interpretation and people interpret it diffferent ways.

So the way that I see it is, the proof of whether or not Jesus meant to say that EVERY Christian can do greater works than He, and EVERY Christian is to be filled with the Holy Spirit and is to do works through the Holy Spirit, is whether or not the people that believe this is true actually DO works through the Holy Spirit. And the answer is a resounding YES.

I'm pentecostal. I speak in Tongues and when I was "baptized in the Holy Spirit", it's unlike anything you can ever experience. Your whole body burns and your mouth just opens and speaks. It's amazing

Casting out demons is the same. About 4 weeks ago, we had a girl with demons come in, and the only way to get it out is to say: Leave in the name of Jesus. And it left and she was freed. Again, the Holy Spirit moving in amazing ways!

In Luke 3, John the Baptist says: water. But one who is more powerful than I will come, the straps of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie. He will baptize you with[c] the Holy Spirit and fire

And there is nothing in these verses from John's or Jesus'mouth that make it seem like that Holy Spirit baptism is limited to only the apostles. Anyone that believes that is interpreting the verses in a different way - there is nothing concrete that says otherwise.

In fact - Cornelius is not even Jewish and he and his entire family get baptized in the Holy Spirit and speak in tongues. So why would the Holy Spirit stop moving after Acts?

So i think that the best test is the physical, visible proof. And I've seen once and time again that miracles *do* happen and the Holy Spirit *does* baptize and moves in us even today!
Good post! and Glad another voice of truth!:) - Mitspa

It comes down to what I see as "authority given in those days" God's Holy Spirit healed the sick. I don't have the authority to state this, Acts 3:6 and see the Holy Spirit react to my commands.

That being said I can "pray" for others and ask God to heal the sick. I have the Spirit of Christ in me and I have never spoke in tongues and I didn't have flames of fire descend on me as in Pentecost. But I do have the same Spirit in me that Peter, Paul, John etc.. were given. I don't have their authority though.

Randy, as a born again christian you have the Holy Spirit, you do have the authority.
Do you have authority over satan in your own life? Do you tell him to get lost and stop bothering you?
Satan is the destroyer, he's killing people, he's making them sick, very sick.
Do the same thing as you do for yourself when he's attacking you.
Jesus, took the power and authority back from satan, the authority we gave satan in the garden and He, Jesus, gave it to you and me and very believer to continue His work.
Just ask Him to show you in His word. Spiritual eyes see spiritual things.

He might have used this one?

Rom 10:8

But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;
Rom 10:9

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
Rom 10:10

For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Rom 10:11

For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

It the best one for salvation!:)

I think he can answer for himself, but I can ask you the same, and since you bring this up, what scripture do you use that you feel supports your belief that you have been saved... are you saying you were saved by only confessing Jesus with the mouth?

I think he can answer for himself, but I can ask you the same, and since you bring this up, what scripture do you use that you feel supports your belief that you have been saved... are you saying you were saved by only confessing Jesus with the mouth?

Mark 16:16 (KJV)
16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Randy, as a born again christian you have the Holy Spirit, you do have the authority.
Do you have authority over satan in your own life? Do you tell him to get lost and stop bothering you?
Satan is the destroyer, he's killing people, he's making them sick, very sick.
Do the same thing as you do for yourself when he's attacking you.
Jesus, took the power and authority back from satan, the authority we gave satan in the garden and He, Jesus, gave it to you and me and very believer to continue His work.
Just ask Him to show you in His word. Spiritual eyes see spiritual things.

What I meant was I don't have this authority. (below) The one in me is greater then the one in this world and I am free from the power of sin. I can petition God in prayer for anything. That doesn't mean Christians don't die of cancer for example. (their bodies)

One day Peter and John were going up to the temple at the time of prayer—at three in the afternoon. 2 Now a man crippled from birth was being carried to the temple gate called Beautiful, where he was put every day to beg from those going into the temple courts. 3 When he saw Peter and John about to enter, he asked them for money. 4 Peter looked straight at him, as did John. Then Peter said, “Look at us!†5 So the man gave them his attention, expecting to get something from them.
6 Then Peter said, “Silver or gold I do not have, but what I have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk.†7 Taking him by the right hand, he helped him up, and instantly the man’s feet and ankles became strong. 8 He jumped to his feet and began to walk.

An excerpt of a pamphlet I wrote: 1 Corinthians 11:1, "Be ye followers of me (Paul), even as I also am of Christ." You won't be able to follow Christ in dying for the world, but you can follow Jesus as Paul did in 2 Corinthians 11:23-30. Are any doing this today, and according to Romans 2:16 Paul's walk in Christ is the criterion. Your and my walks are judged by men, and they know us by our fruits, and so in essence; this is not only what I say, but here's the way to do it.

Paul suffered many things to bring us the gospel, and the following verses are an illustration of how he followed Christ. (23) "Are they ministers of Christ? (I speak as a fool) I am more; in labours more abundant, in stripes above measure, in prisons more frequent, in deaths oft. (24) Of the Jews five times received I forty stripes save one. (25) Thrice was I beaten with rods, once was I stoned, thrice I suffered shipwreck, a night and a day I have been in the deep; (26) In journeyings often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils by mine own countrymen, in perils by the heathen, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren; (27) In weariness and painfulness, in watchings often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness. (28) Beside those things that are without, that which cometh upon me daily, the care of all the churches. (29) Who is weak, and I am not weak? who is offended, and I burn not? (30) If I must needs glory, I will glory of the things which concern mine infirmities."

Regardless of the problems Paul encountered, he was able to say in Romans 8:28, "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose." If you're attending a church, have you heard Paul's gospel? You can hear a message of salvation in most Christian churches, but how many are telling their congregations what God wants told during this dispensational age of grace? Paul writes in 1 Corinthians 9:16, "For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of: for necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel!"

Blessings in Christ Jesus.

Wow thank you brother, I was able to read this right before I went to evangelize at the hospital :) 1cor 9:16 is so encouraging to me. In fact most of that chapter is so powerful! I had a great time at the hospital and witnessed something very powerful...

We meet a woman who was raped then delivered a baby. After her delivery she had problems with her heart and was stressed over things. But what made it worse was that she was mentally handicapped, so she's really been taken advantage of. Take note she is slow, and not familiar with many things of God. After we prayed she said she saw God standing over her praying for her!

After this encounter I got to meet the guy we prayed for tuesday who was radically healed. When we first meet him, he was laying in a bed in extreme pain. Wires all over his body and bandages over his stomach. It really didn't look like much hope for this poor suffering guy. We led him this drug dealer who had been shot 5 years ago to Christ. During our talk the man is crying because He could see the love that God had for him. The bullet wounds turned into infections and that is what brought him there. Well, God is a God of restoration and healed Him spiritually and physically...

Before we prayed for his physical body, we asked what kind of pain is he in. 10 being extreme pain and 1 being little pain. This tough drug dealer said it was at a pain level of 10. Then we asked what is the pain at now? He said "1" then more tears began to fall.

Today, I walked in that hospital and saw this guy walking around. I had to double glance because it was the new believer walking around! Praise God for an amazing recovery!

I'm so blessed cause I see these things. I'm also blessed to see others take God at His word and pray for their brothers and sisters. Like you my brother, Eugene. Your words came at such a perfect time for me. Realizing how much more Paul suffered than I have, and how his heart wasn't hindered by pain, suffering, and loneliness. I've been thru many things myself, but I'm def blessed by his words.

God bless those who bless me and forgive those who curse me :)

I am not a "So called" miracle healer, but I have had God's gift of healing applied to a dead child with a broken neck in my hands as I cried out to God. Gifts are given severely as God chooses; not us.

Have I received the Holy Spirit since I believed? oh yes. Should I exercise that faith given me in ministering to others? yes again. I have seen large growths disappear in group prayer, lives made whole again out of a life of despair in a moment of time. Praying online for a brother diagnosed with an inoperable huge cancerous growth in his windpipe or whatever it is and lungs laying in the hospital ICU gasping for air waiting for the bad news, he said he was in the worst depression of his life. He was prayed for, and the next morning before going further with treatment the doctor wanted one follow-up MRI or whatever before starting any treatment. What? they found nothing left but some residual matter; the doctor couldn't believe it and that soon cleared up.

One dear brother here talks of "When the perfect Comes" as relating to gifts no longer being in effect, and that's exactly what I preached as a doctrine of a church I attended prior to being filled with the Holy Spirit. I now view that as when we are caught up into the very presence of our Savior face to face.

I do not have to go into the world looking for a place to apply any gift my Lord gives me; He brings them to me. Two weeks ago my neighbor called me to come to her house and help set up an oxygen compressor to fill spare bottles so she could become mobile. I had no idea she had become dependent on it; she had just gone to the doctor and they rushed her to the hospital and walla; here's what we have for you. After a week she came home to her family fully equipped to spend the remainder of her life on a breathing apparatus. I asked if I could pray for her and she and her husband agreed. Within the week the company came and removed all the equipment.

I do not know the answers to all of God's wondrous love and care of us, as many times I pray seemingly to no effect, but I do believe God always does that which is right. I reckon the Apostle Paul may have wondered somewhat like that when he prayed three times to have God remove the thorn in his flesh in 2 Corinthians 12:8-9, but God left it there for his good.

As Christians we are given bodily and spiritual gifts; what are they? You'll never know unless you go forth in faith. Are you afraid to pray for something because you think you are responsible for the outcome? If not, our prayer forum would be filled with your prayers seeking help for those coming to us in need. In all our times of need we are told to go to God's throne of grace, and I put that into practice daily. How do I know that God hasn't given me a gift of healing for that poor soul coming to us asking for prayer? I don't but I pray anyhow. We read in Proverbs 18:16 that "A man's gift maketh room for him."

Now I have ended up just rambling on but I hope it is an encouragement for some of you to go forth in the power of God available to you in Jesus' name.

Thanks for sharing the testimony. Continue as the cancer was healed to give God glory :) Nothing is impossible for God, continue to pray for the sick and you will see more of it :) God bless!

25 On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher,†he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?â€

26 “What is written in the Law?†he replied. “How do you read it?â€

27 He answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’[a]; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’â€

28 “You have answered correctly,†Jesus replied. “Do this and you will live.â€

29 But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?â€

30 In reply Jesus said: “A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he was attacked by robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. 31 A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. 32 So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. 33 But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. 34 He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn and took care of him. 35 The next day he took out two denarii[c] and gave them to the innkeeper. ‘Look after him,’ he said, ‘and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.’

36 “Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?â€

37 The expert in the law replied, “The one who had mercy on him.â€

Jesus told him, “Go and do likewise.â€

----------

What was the expert of the law looking for? Answer: A check list

How did Jesus respond? Answer: With what the man really needed

I was saved by the Word of God! By faith!

1Pe 1:23

Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

I also was baptised in the Holy Spirit! Before I answered (by faith) with a good conscience towards God, water baptism.

Do any of you who boast in water baptism ever stop to think what it means, to "die with Christ"? Well for one thing it means we are no longer seeking to justify ourselves by works! We are admitting that the "old man" and his life cannot please God! Instead some of you twist "baptism" into a work to justify the "old man" and the flesh!

When we are raised from the water its a picture of walking as the "new creation" who is justified by faith alone!:wave

Do

25 On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher,†he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?â€

26 “What is written in the Law?†he replied. “How do you read it?â€

27 He answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’[a]; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’â€

28 “You have answered correctly,†Jesus replied. “Do this and you will live.â€

29 But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?â€

30 In reply Jesus said: “A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he was attacked by robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. 31 A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. 32 So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. 33 But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. 34 He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn and took care of him. 35 The next day he took out two denarii[c] and gave them to the innkeeper. ‘Look after him,’ he said, ‘and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.’

36 “Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?â€

37 The expert in the law replied, “The one who had mercy on him.â€

Jesus told him, “Go and do likewise.â€

----------

What was the expert of the law looking for? Answer: A check list

How did Jesus respond? Answer: With what the man really needed

That is a very nice story told by Jesus of which we all should pay attention to...

But it did not answer the question (of which you too may answer),

What scripture in the good book do you use that you believe put you "in Christ"?

What scripture do you use to support the "point" you say you reached to make you feel in a saved condition "in Christ"?

I was saved by the Word of God! By faith!

1Pe 1:23

Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

I also was baptised in the Holy Spirit! Before I answered (by faith) with a good conscience towards God, water baptism.

Do any of you who boast in water baptism ever stop to think what it means, to "die with Christ"? Well for one thing it means we are no longer seeking to justify ourselves by works! We are admitting that the "old man" and his life cannot please God! Instead some of you twist "baptism" into a work to justify the "old man" and the flesh!

When we are raised from the water its a picture of walking as the "new creation" who is justified by faith alone!:wave

Do

Prove the scripture you say said you were "baptized with the Holy Spirit"?

I find only two, Apostles, and house of Cornelius... where do you find yourself included in these?

I find only two, Apostles, and house of Cornelius... where do you find yourself included in these?

You are wrong the Holy Spirit is for all who believe!

Luk 3:16

John answered, saying unto them all, I indeed baptize you with water; but one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire:

YES! Jesus is the same Jesus! He did not change!:thumbsup

Is this a serious question? None of our lives have been pre-recorded in the bible.

Is this a serious question? None of our lives have been pre-recorded in the bible.

1Co 3:16

Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?

I guess if you guys dont know, then you have bigger issues than trying to find fault in others!:o

It is a serious question, I would like someone to show scriptural where anyone but the Apostles, or the house of Cornelius have been "baptized with the Holy Spirit"?

I see many on this forum claim to have been, if it can be that this can happen to them, it must be in the Bible...

I ask the serious question, where in the Bible has anyone been "baptized by the Holy Spirit" other than the Apostles, and the house of Cornelius?

It is a serious question, I would like someone to show scriptural where anyone but the Apostles, or the house of Cornelius have been "baptized with the Holy Spirit"?

I see many on this forum claim to have been, if it can be that this can happen to them, it must be in the Bible...

I ask the serious question, where in the Bible has anyone been "baptized by the Holy Spirit" other than the Apostles, and the house of Cornelius?

Mar 10:39

And they said unto him, We can. And Jesus said unto them, Ye shall indeed drink of the cup that I drink of; and with the baptism that I am baptized withal shall ye be baptized:

Mar 16:16

He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
Mar 16:17

And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
Mar 16:18

They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

Act 2:3

And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.

Act 2:4

And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

know ye not?:wave

You are wrong the Holy Spirit is for all who believe!

Luk 3:16

John answered, saying unto them all, I indeed baptize you with water; but one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire:

YES! Jesus is the same Jesus! He did not change!:thumbsup

John said here in Luke 3:16 "Jesus" is the only one who can baptize with the Holy Spirit, the only time he did this was the Apostles and the house of Cornelius.

The Holy Spirit is available to all (as far as indwelling) but it is not a baptism of Him "By Jesus", This is clearly affirmed here:

John 4:1-2 (KJV)
1 When therefore the Lord knew how the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John, 2 (Though Jesus himself baptized not, but his disciples,)

Then the only baptism we get is the baptism, the same as the disciples, the only portion of the HS we get is the same as here Acts. 2:38 (KJV)

That is unless someone can show me scriptural that anyone other than the Apostles, and the house of Cornelius had this Baptism ONLY CHRIST CAN DO, done to anyone else?

Please show me?

Back