Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Does the Holy Spirit move after Acts?

show scripture he no longer gives gifts....1st corithians 12
Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I would not have you ignorant.

28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.
31 But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.

Ephesians 4

11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

preaching is a gift teaching is a gift * discernment is a gift . you show me scripture saying the gifts of the spirit is not for today. i will retract my post..if you can not show scripture that says that you can retract yours. it has to say gifts of the spirit are no longer used. i posted scriptures showing gift are for us even in this present age. (edifying of the body of Christ:) doe the body of Christ need edified the gifts and calling of Go are w/o repentance :yes:yes:readbible

:amen:clap3:thumbsup Very well said Ezra. I'll retract my posts too if they can prove it wrong, though I can't retract that God healed many people.

Here is your quick reference of verses that support that the Holy Spirit is alive in us. The Holy Spirit does the same works He's always done.

Justin,

Isn't the question about the gifts? I don't think anyone is doubting that the Spirit is alive in us.

show scripture he no longer gives gifts....1st corithians 12
Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I would not have you ignorant.

28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.
31 But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.

Ephesians 4

11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

preaching is a gift teaching is a gift * discernment is a gift . you show me scripture saying the gifts of the spirit is not for today. i will retract my post..if you can not show scripture that says that you can retract yours. it has to say gifts of the spirit are no longer used. i posted scriptures showing gift are for us even in this present age. (edifying of the body of Christ:) doe the body of Christ need edified the gifts and calling of Go are w/o repentance :yes:yes:readbible

Hi ezra.

I thought the question was the miraculous gifts. It is those that I said no longer are given. The natural gifts are still given by God.

In the passage you quoted Paul said He gave some apostles, prophets, etc. In the Greek text these words are in the masculine gender indicating that Paul was talking about men, not offices. He gave some apostles to the church, ie. Peter John etc. He gave some evangelists, ie Phillip. Christ gave these men to the church. I'm not sure how you think this supports what you said.

I do, however, consider that that statement can be understood in more than one way. Jesus said,

12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.(Joh 14:12 KJV)

Butch, again we have to look at the time it was said and who it was said to...

The "He" in the "He that believeth on me" is the Antecedent, to find the "He" we go back to the earlier noun or pronoun which happens to be Philip (An Apostle), it was the Apostles that would do greater works, and what was the greater works?
Starting from the day of Pentecost how many souls were saved? did that happen while Christ was on earth?

Acts 2:41 (KJV)
41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.
Acts 4:4 (KJV)
4 Howbeit many of them which heard the word believed; and the number of the men was about five thousand.

Hi ezra.

I thought the question was the miraculous gifts. It is those that I said no longer are given. The natural gifts are still given by God.

In the passage you quoted Paul said He gave some apostles, prophets, etc. In the Greek text these words are in the masculine gender indicating that Paul was talking about men, not offices. He gave some apostles to the church, ie. Peter John etc. He gave some evangelists, ie Phillip. Christ gave these men to the church. I'm not sure how you think this supports what you said.

miraculous gifts still take place today. i was called to preach 13 years ago a gift. i was save about 16 years ago or some where that was a miracle . we can not discount the miraculous gifts. .. any thing christ does for us is a miraculous gift. i have a buddy who is a pastor his wife had a mammogram it showed a lump. she went the next week had it redone... no lump and my buddy say the first test result .. miraculous gifts. of healing

The "He" in the "He that believeth on me" is the Antecedent, to find the "He" we go back to the earlier noun or pronoun which happens to be Philip (An Apostle), it was the Apostles that would do greater works, and what was the greater works?
Starting from the day of Pentecost how many souls were saved? did that happen while Christ was on earth?

41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.
4 Howbeit many of them which heard the word believed; and the number of the men was about five thousand.

Even if you want to say it's the apostles it's still greater in amount. No one has done greater miracles than Christ. You're making my argument, you said, how many souls were saved?

Apostle one who is called out. :yes miraculous gifts still take place today we just dont see it .

Even if you want to say it's the apostles it's still greater in amount. No one has done greater miracles than Christ. You're making my argument, you said, how many souls were saved?

Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father.:yes christ words he still does through through us by the power of the spirit *:yes

miraculous gifts still take place today. i was called to preach 13 years ago a gift. i was save about 16 years ago or some where that was a miracle . we can not discount the miraculous gifts. .. any thing christ does for us is a miraculous gift. i have a buddy who is a pastor his wife had a mammogram it showed a lump. she went the next week had it redone... no lump and my buddy say the first test result .. miraculous gifts. of healing

That's fine but they're not the gifts that were given in the NT.

I agree, the real reason Christ came, to save souls... Christ went to the right hand of God, Christ baptized the Apostles with the Holy Spirit shortly after, and the Apostles set out to do the will of Christ, save all our souls, and they way the Holy Spirit did it was by revelation through the Apostles and through miracles "to witness" until the "full" revelation could be written which now the "Bible" is our witness of Him, the living word of God.

So, if the gifts aren't given any more, then why do so many Christians claim to have seen them? Are they all liers?

A lot are Liars, they usually do it for money, but there are a lot of good people out there that believe it so much they are able to use the mind to alleviate pain, put themselves in transient state etc...

If you or anyone else can heal someone we would see it on more than a charismatic religious TV program.

the real reason Christ came, to save souls.
this i agree nut we all have been baptized by the Holy Spirit ..if you aint well the altar is open . no spirit = no salvation :readbible

A lot are Liars, they usually do it for money, but there are a lot of good people out there that believe it so much they are able to use the mind to alleviate pain, put themselves in transient state etc...

If you or anyone else can heal someone we would see it on more than a charismatic religious TV program.

rr do you realize how fleshly that sounds? keep it on christian level NO body said they could heal ..Christ works through us.
charismatic religious TV program
that is not what we are talking about. my my Mom was healed of Cancer :thumbsup there was no sign of cancer about half way through her chemo. come visit me i will introduce to you the parents who had a baby daughter stop breathing completely. at church a lady grabbed her from her MOM prayed over her. breathing restored the D.R could find nothing :yes today she is a mother of 2 a youth pastor wife active in the ministry :thumbsup that is fact not fiction

"Love never fails; but if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away.
When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.
And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love."
(1 Corinthians 13:8-13)

It mentions prophecy and tongues will cease and be done away with, so some think they have been already. But keep going. It says knowledge will be done away with, yet has it ? No, knowledge has tremendously increased more and more as the years go by. We can't just choice which parts of the same verse we want to believe are for now and those that we dont want to believe. Its either true of all or true of none as of right now.

Also we must remember this was a letter to the Corinthians and was not written in chapter and verses, which could have been separated at any place according to the one writing it. So chapter 12 and chapter 14 along with 13 were all together, not separated. The subject was not changed right in the middle of what he was saying. 12 and 14 are talking about the gifts of the Spirit in these passages, so 13 is also. He was instructing them in the correct way to be used of God in these gifts, and the main thing was right in the middle. The gifts are to be demonstrated through the love of God. A person can have the gifts, be used of God in the gifts, yet at the same time not do so with God's love in their heart; but it wont benefit them, as it says in 13:1-3. It's not saying that we can't be used of God in the gifts, but its telling how it is to be done.

I agree, the real reason Christ came, to save souls... Christ went to the right hand of God, Christ baptized the Apostles with the Holy Spirit shortly after, and the Apostles set out to do the will of Christ, save all our souls, and they way the Holy Spirit did it was by revelation through the Apostles and through miracles "to witness" until the "full" revelation could be written which now the "Bible" is our witness of Him, the living word of God.

I'm not sure that the "real" reason Christ came was to save souls. I agree that was a part of the reason He came. However, Jesus said He had come to preach the gospel of the kingdom. I think Christians get tunnel vision with the issue of salvation. The message of God is much bigger than just man’s salvation. The new birth is a means to an end. Jesus said, unless a man is born again he cannot enter the kingdom of heaven. The new birth is the means of gaining access to the kingdom.

Here is your quick reference of verses that support that the Holy Spirit is alive in us. The Holy Spirit does the same works He's always done.

I addressed most of those, funny I see nothing, not one scripture from you, nothing but opinion...

Can "you" show me one scripture that shows that "perfect" is not the law of Christ.

rr do you realize how fleshly that sounds? keep it on christian level NO body said they could heal ..Christ works through us. that is not what we are talking about. my my Mom was healed of Cancer :thumbsup there was no sign of cancer about half way through her chemo. come visit me i will introduce to you the parents who had a baby daughter stop breathing completely. at church a lady grabbed her from her MOM prayed over her. breathing restored the D.R could find nothing :yes today she is a mother of 2 a youth pastor wife active in the ministry :thumbsup that is fact not fiction

I know a man who had Hodgkin disease, the Doctors say he should be dead, he didn't even go to Church.

It mentions prophecy and tongues will cease and be done away with, so some think they have been already. But keep going. It says knowledge will be done away with, yet has it ? No, knowledge has tremendously increased more and more as the years go by. We can't just choice which parts of the same verse we want to believe are for now and those that we dont want to believe. Its either true of all or true of none as of right now.

Also we must remember this was a letter to the Corinthians and was not written in chapter and verses, which could have been separated at any place according to the one writing it. So chapter 12 and chapter 14 along with 13 were all together, not separated. The subject was not changed right in the middle of what he was saying. 12 and 14 are talking about the gifts of the Spirit in these passages, so 13 is also. He was instructing them in the correct way to be used of God in these gifts, and the main thing was right in the middle. The gifts are to be demonstrated through the love of God. A person can have the gifts, be used of God in the gifts, yet at the same time not do so with God's love in their heart; but it wont benefit them, as it says in 13:1-3. It's not saying that we can't be used of God in the gifts, but its telling how it is to be done.

In the context of 1 Cor 13 the knowledge is supernatural knowledge, it goes along with prophecy. It's not a persons knowledge that Paul is addressing. He says we know in part. What did he know in part?

Back