Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

God's Great Free Gift of Salvation for Everyone

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
So you can't or won't answer the question. How can you love God and fear him simultaneously (unless you're really neurotic)?
I already answered the question but again what is to you?

You act that God fearing is unknown among those who have faith.

Acts 2
Now there were staying in Jerusalem God-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven
Acts 10
At Caesarea there was a man named Cornelius, a centurion in what was known as the Italian Regiment. 2 He and all his family were devout and God-fearing; he gave generously to those in need and prayed to God regularly

Abraham!" "Here I am," he replied. "Do not lay a hand on the boy," he said. "Do not do anything to him. Now I know that you fear God, because you have not withheld from me your son, your only son."

Paul a sanctified believer and Apostle - Context the fear of God
However, I admit that I worship the God of our ancestors as a follower of the Way, which they call a sect. I believe everything that is in accordance with the Law and that is written in the Prophets, 15and I have the same hope in God as these men themselves have, that there will be a resurrection of both the righteous and the wicked. 16So I strive always to keep my conscience clear before God and man.

Joseph

On the third day, Joseph said to them, “Do this and you will live, for I fear God: 19If you are honest men, let one of your brothers stay here in prison, while the rest of you go and take grain back for your starving households. 20But you must bring your youngest brother to me, so that your words may be verified and that you may not die.” This they proceeded to do.

You choose the right and reject the wrong out love and reverence and fear of God.

Peter's instructions

Show proper respect to everyone, love the family of believers, fear God, honor the emperor.

The Angel in Revelation
He said in a loud voice, “Fear God and give him glory, because the hour of his judgment has come. Worship him who made the heavens, the earth, the sea and the springs of water.”

The "unjust Judge" - he didn't fear God
Jesus said: “In a certain town there was a judge who neither feared God nor cared what people thought.

I already answered the question but again what is to you?

You act that God fearing is unknown among those who have faith.

Acts 2
Now there were staying in Jerusalem God-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven
Acts 10
At Caesarea there was a man named Cornelius, a centurion in what was known as the Italian Regiment. 2 He and all his family were devout and God-fearing; he gave generously to those in need and prayed to God regularly

Abraham!" "Here I am," he replied. "Do not lay a hand on the boy," he said. "Do not do anything to him. Now I know that you fear God, because you have not withheld from me your son, your only son."

Paul a sanctified believer and Apostle - Context the fear of God
However, I admit that I worship the God of our ancestors as a follower of the Way, which they call a sect. I believe everything that is in accordance with the Law and that is written in the Prophets, 15and I have the same hope in God as these men themselves have, that there will be a resurrection of both the righteous and the wicked. 16So I strive always to keep my conscience clear before God and man.

Joseph

On the third day, Joseph said to them, “Do this and you will live, for I fear God: 19If you are honest men, let one of your brothers stay here in prison, while the rest of you go and take grain back for your starving households. 20But you must bring your youngest brother to me, so that your words may be verified and that you may not die.” This they proceeded to do.

You choose the right and reject the wrong out love and reverence and fear of God.

Peter's instructions

Show proper respect to everyone, love the family of believers, fear God, honor the emperor.

The Angel in Revelation
He said in a loud voice, “Fear God and give him glory, because the hour of his judgment has come. Worship him who made the heavens, the earth, the sea and the springs of water.”

The "unjust Judge" - he didn't fear God
Jesus said: “In a certain town there was a judge who neither feared God nor cared what people thought.
"Fear": a) be afraid of (someone or something) as likely to be dangerous, painful, or threatening, b) an unpleasant often strong emotion caused by anticipation or awareness of danger, c) is experienced in your mind, but it triggers a strong physical reaction in your body. As soon as you recognize fear, your amygdala (small organ in the middle of your brain) goes to work. It alerts your nervous system, which sets your body's fear response into motion, d) "Fear is the path to the Dark Side. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering."

1 John 4:18, "There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear; for fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not reached perfection in love."

Romans 8:14-16, "For all who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God. For you did not receive a spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you received a spirit of adoption. When we cry, “Abba! Father!” it is that very Spirit bearing witness with our spirit that we are children of God,"

"Fear": a) be afraid of (someone or something) as likely to be dangerous, painful, or threatening, b) an unpleasant often strong emotion caused by anticipation or awareness of danger, c) is experienced in your mind, but it triggers a strong physical reaction in your body. As soon as you recognize fear, your amygdala (small organ in the middle of your brain) goes to work. It alerts your nervous system, which sets your body's fear response into motion, d) "Fear is the path to the Dark Side. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering."

1 John 4:18, "There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear; for fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not reached perfection in love."

Romans 8:14-16, "For all who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God. For you did not receive a spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you received a spirit of adoption. When we cry, “Abba! Father!” it is that very Spirit bearing witness with our spirit that we are children of God,"

“Then the churches throughout all Judea, Galilee, and Samaria had peace and were edified. And walking in the fear of the Lord and in the comfort of the Holy Spirit, they were multiplied
The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear him, and he delivers them.
And His mercy is on those who fear Him
From generation to generation.

“Then the churches throughout all Judea, Galilee, and Samaria had peace and were edified. And walking in the fear of the Lord and in the comfort of the Holy Spirit, they were multiplied
And His mercy is on those who fear Him
From generation to generation.
Taking a few verses out of context to prove doctrine has a definition: Eisegesis. It is the process of interpreting text in such a way as to introduce one's own presuppositions, agendas or biases.

Go ahead, live in fear if you think that's what God wants. In the mean time, try reading the parable of the prodigal son. Here is part of it (Luke 15:17-24): " But when he came to his senses he said, ‘How many of my father’s hired hands have bread enough and to spare, but here I am dying of hunger! I will get up and go to my father, and I will say to him, “Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you; I am no longer worthy to be called your son; treat me like one of your hired hands.” ’ So he set off and went to his father. But while he was still far off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion; he ran and put his arms around him and kissed him. Then the son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you; I am no longer worthy to be called your son.’ But the father said to his slaves, ‘Quickly, bring out a robe—the best one—and put it on him; put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. And get the fatted calf and kill it, and let us eat and celebrate, for this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found!’ And they began to celebrate."

The son was fearful of his father's reaction, but he clearly misjudged him. His own guilt persuaded him that his father would be angry, but he was entirely wrong! "...his father saw him and was filled with compassion; he ran and put his arms around him and kissed him"

You can go on and on about your fear of your loving, heavenly father, but you are as wrong in your presupposition about Him as the prodigal son was. I feel very, very sorry for you!

Taking a few verses out of context to prove doctrine has a definition: Eisegesis. It is the process of interpreting text in such a way as to introduce one's own presuppositions, agendas or biases.

Go ahead, live in fear if you think that's what God wants. In the mean time, try reading the parable of the prodigal son. Here is part of it (Luke 15:17-24): " But when he came to his senses he said, ‘How many of my father’s hired hands have bread enough and to spare, but here I am dying of hunger! I will get up and go to my father, and I will say to him, “Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you; I am no longer worthy to be called your son; treat me like one of your hired hands.” ’ So he set off and went to his father. But while he was still far off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion; he ran and put his arms around him and kissed him. Then the son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you; I am no longer worthy to be called your son.’ But the father said to his slaves, ‘Quickly, bring out a robe—the best one—and put it on him; put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. And get the fatted calf and kill it, and let us eat and celebrate, for this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found!’ And they began to celebrate."

The son was fearful of his father's reaction, but he clearly misjudged him. His own guilt persuaded him that his father would be angry, but he was entirely wrong! "...his father saw him and was filled with compassion; he ran and put his arms around him and kissed him"

You can go on and on about your fear of your loving, heavenly father, but you are as wrong in your presupposition about Him as the prodigal son was. I feel very, very sorry for you!
I supplied more than enough verses that show people "of faith" fear God.

Eph 1:13
The Spirit has been given to them that hear the Gospel, the word of God. Who does Jesus say it is who hears the words of God Jn 8:47
47 He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.
In Eph 1:13

13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

What does Paul mean by the words " ye heard" ? Did he mean by it the natural human ear or a spiritual ear, one circumcised spiritually by the Spirit of God , which is the opposite of what stephen said about these hearing Acts 7:51

Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye.

What is the antithesis to this ? Rom 2:29

But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.

Thats ears/heart to hear what the Spirit is saying in the Gospel Rev 2:7

He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.

So what does Paul mean in Eph 1:13 by ye heard the Gospel of YOUR SALVATION ?

Before anyone can hear and believe on Christ for their Salvation, God must first have given them a hearing ear and according to Proverbs 20:12, the hearing ear and the seeing eye are both of God. 12 The hearing ear, and the seeing eye, the Lord hath made even both of them. This God makes in the New Creation !

I supplied more than enough verses that show people "of faith" fear God.
I will continue to rest in His divine love.

1 John 4:18, "There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear; for fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not reached perfection in love.

It makes me very sad that you choose to remain in fear instead of love!

I will continue to rest in His divine love.

1 John 4:18, "There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear; for fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not reached perfection in love.

It makes me very sad that you choose to remain in fear instead of love!
You think Abraham lived in fear? I stated I fear God and showed you from "scripture" that people of faith fear God. I'm at peace with God which was accomplished by the blood of Christ shed on the cross as the Father willed. (col 1:21), (luke 2:14)

“Do not lay a hand on the boy,” he said. “Do not do anything to him. Now I know that you fear God, because you have not withheld from me your son, your only son.”

The commands to love God and fear God are found in scripture. Both were given for our good not Gods good.

Fear the LORD your God and serve him. Hold fast to him and take your oaths in his name.
’Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’

You think Abraham lived in fear? I stated I fear God and showed you from "scripture" that people of faith fear God. I'm at peace with God which was accomplished by the blood of Christ shed on the cross as the Father willed. (col 1:21), (luke 2:14)

“Do not lay a hand on the boy,” he said. “Do not do anything to him. Now I know that you fear God, because you have not withheld from me your son, your only son.”

The commands to love God and fear God are found in scripture. Both were given for our good not Gods good.

Fear the LORD your God and serve him. Hold fast to him and take your oaths in his name.
’Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’

If you enjoy being afraid, then go ahead and live that way. a) I feel very sorry for you. b) I am tired of discussing this with you.

Have a nice day.

If you enjoy being afraid, then go ahead and live that way. a) I feel very sorry for you. b) I am tired of discussing this with you.

Have a nice day.
Keep avoiding the question and you have a good day too.

What question? That Abraham lived in fear?
Yes, and I'm with you and am at peace with God in that context but you seem to think its strange that it is shown those who have faith also fear God. You have continued to avoid that side of the coin.

Therefore having these promises, beloved, we should cleanse ourselves from every defilement of flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

If Judas really feared God do you think he would have betrayed Gods Son?

So Saul stayed with them and moved about freely in Jerusalem, speaking boldly in the name of the Lord. 29 He talked and debated with the Hellenistic Jews, but they tried to kill him. 30 When the believers learned of this, they took him down to Caesarea and sent him off to Tarsus.

31 Then the church throughout Judea, Galilee and Samaria enjoyed a time of peace and was strengthened. Living in the fear of the Lord and encouraged by the Holy Spirit, it increased in numbers.

Regardless before you went off in your direction my intent was show the correlation found in regard to those who fear God and the grace of God given.

Such as: “Fellow children of Abraham and you God-fearing Gentiles, it is to us that this message of salvation has been sent.

Yes, and I'm with you and am at peace with God in that context but you seem to think its strange that it is shown those who have faith also fear God. You have continued to avoid that side of the coin.

Therefore having these promises, beloved, we should cleanse ourselves from every defilement of flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

If Judas really feared God do you think he would have betrayed Gods Son?

So Saul stayed with them and moved about freely in Jerusalem, speaking boldly in the name of the Lord. 29 He talked and debated with the Hellenistic Jews, but they tried to kill him. 30 When the believers learned of this, they took him down to Caesarea and sent him off to Tarsus.

31 Then the church throughout Judea, Galilee and Samaria enjoyed a time of peace and was strengthened. Living in the fear of the Lord and encouraged by the Holy Spirit, it increased in numbers.

Regardless before you went off in your direction my intent was show the correlation found in regard to those who fear God and the grace of God given.

Such as: “Fellow children of Abraham and you God-fearing Gentiles, it is to us that this message of salvation has been sent.
I'm done. If you want to spend your life in fear, so be it. I feel sorry for you.

I'd like to say that the bible talks about fearing God, but not in the sense of being afraid of Him.
It really means to have a healthy dose of respect for Him so that you don't treat Him like one of the boys.

God is so almighty and sovereign and powerful that we should have this type of feeling toward Him. Those in the OT understood this.

When Jesus walked the earth, He represented God as a being to love, not one to fear in the way we understand fear today.

However, how we feel is how we feel and all types of worship toward the one true God should be respected.

I'd like to say that the bible talks about fearing God, but not in the sense of being afraid of Him.
It really means to have a healthy dose of respect for Him so that you don't treat Him like one of the boys.

God is so almighty and sovereign and powerful that we should have this type of feeling toward Him. Those in the OT understood this.

When Jesus walked the earth, He represented God as a being to love, not one to fear in the way we understand fear today.

However, how we feel is how we feel and all types of worship toward the one true God should be respected.
The language used is clear to me in the testimony given.
Now there were staying in Jerusalem God-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven.
At Caesarea there was a man named Cornelius, a centurion in what was known as the Italian Regiment. 2 He and all his family were devout and God-fearing;
So he reasoned in the synagogue with both Jews and God-fearing Greeks, as well as in the marketplace day by day with those who happened to be there.
Peter - Show proper respect to everyone, love the family of believers, fear God, honor the emperor.
The point I mas making before Jaybo jumped in was the correlation made with Gods grace apportioned to "those who fear Him"
Fellow children of Abraham and you God-fearing Gentiles, it is to us that this message of salvation has been sent.
His mercy extends to those who fear him, from generation to generation.

This showed one of the 2 feared God and grace worked on him.
But the other criminal rebuked him. “Don’t you fear God,” he said, “since you are under the same sentence? 41 We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong.”
42 Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.

The language used is clear to me in the testimony given.
Now there were staying in Jerusalem God-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven.
At Caesarea there was a man named Cornelius, a centurion in what was known as the Italian Regiment. 2 He and all his family were devout and God-fearing;
So he reasoned in the synagogue with both Jews and God-fearing Greeks, as well as in the marketplace day by day with those who happened to be there.
Peter - Show proper respect to everyone, love the family of believers, fear God, honor the emperor.
The point I mas making before Jaybo jumped in was the correlation made with Gods grace apportioned to "those who fear Him"
Fellow children of Abraham and you God-fearing Gentiles, it is to us that this message of salvation has been sent.

I never studied this so I'm not going to insist in any way.

I do go a lot by what Jesus taught.

Do you think the Gentiles could mean those outside of the Jewish religion who also
honored God?

His mercy extends to those who fear him, from generation to generation.

This showed one of the 2 feared God and grace worked on him.
But the other criminal rebuked him. “Don’t you fear God,” he said, “since you are under the same sentence? 41 We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong.”
42 Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.
I see what you mean about the word FEAR being used in the same sentence with honor.

I'm done. If you want to spend your life in fear, so be it. I feel sorry for you.
You stated such that before. I take no pleasure in this debate. I don't take this comment, "I feel sorry for you", to my inquiries with scripture showing those who have faith fear God as a reasonable defense but I welcome your silence.

I never studied this so I'm not going to insist in any way.

I do go a lot by what Jesus taught.

Do you think the Gentiles could mean those outside of the Jewish religion who also
honored God?

I see what you mean about the word FEAR being used in the same sentence with honor.
I think those who fear God are the most likely to seek atonement. As opposed to those who have no fear or care about God.
Do you think Judas feared God as he betrayed the Son of God?

Fear God and love God were both commanded by the Lord in the law.

Then those who feared the LORD talked with each other, and the LORD listened and heard. A scroll of remembrance was written in his presence concerning those who feared the LORD and honored his name.

honored God?

In the world Paul preached in there were many Gods but they were religious.

Paul then stood up in the meeting of the Areopagus and said: “People of Athens! I see that in every way you are very religious. 23For as I walked around and looked carefully at your objects of worship, I even found an altar with this inscription: TO AN UNKNOWN GOD. So you are ignorant of the very thing you worship—and this is what I am going to proclaim to you.

24“The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by human hands. 25And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything. Rather, he himself gives everyone life and breath and everything else. 26From one man he made all the nations, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he marked out their appointed times in history and the boundaries of their lands. 27God did this so that they would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from any one of us. 28‘For in him we live and move and have our being.’ b As some of your own poets have said, ‘We are his offspring.’ c

Back