Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study good Friday

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Do you understand I support Passover, the 14th of Nissan to have occurred on 30 CE which would have fell on a Friday?

I highly recommend that people avoid monkeying around with Nisan dating and just go with arithmetic because the outside world does not care for complex answers to simple questions.

Back when I was a young guy just getting started with Bible study, I was working in a family-owned boat yard that was predominantly Catholic. A wise-acre welder at work said: "Hey Cliff, how do you get three days and three nights from Friday afternoon to Sunday morning?" Well; I was humiliated because I couldn't answer him with a reasonable explanation.

Some time later, as I was listening to a radio program called The Christian Jew Hour, the speaker talked about the Passover sabbath and where it fit into the crucifixion chronology relative to the routine sabbath. I was greatly relieved to discover that the Good Friday model is bogus. Now when wise-acres ask me that question, I respond by first telling them: "I am not Catholic".
_

I highly recommend that people avoid monkeying around with Nisan dating and just go with arithmetic because the outside world does not care for complex answers to simple questions.

Back when I was a young guy just getting started with Bible study, I was working in a family-owned boat yard that was predominantly Catholic. A wise-acre welder at work said: "Hey Cliff, how do you get three days and three nights from Friday afternoon to Sunday morning?" Well; I was humiliated because I couldn't answer him with a reasonable explanation.

Some time later, as I was listening to a radio program called The Christian Jew Hour, the speaker talked about the Passover sabbath and where it fit into the crucifixion chronology relative to the routine sabbath. I was greatly relieved to discover that the Good Friday model is bogus. Now when wise-acres ask me that question, I respond by first telling them: "I am not Catholic".
_
I also think that Good Friday is bogus..

I also think that Good Friday is bogus..
That's ok, I don't agree with any other days other than Friday. However, I do respect how you and others come to any other day rather than Friday.

I don't expect us all to reason the same, but I think what is more important is not coming to an agreement on what day Jesus was crucified, but rather, understanding how we each come to the conclusions we come to and respecting each other in the process.

B.T.W, depending on which day anyone picks also determines which year Jesus died because we know exactly which day the 14th of Nissan fell on.
Also, we know what year Pontius Pilate died, as well as other historical figures.

Taking history into consideration, it is very dangerous to use just the Bible and ones own reasoning to make a decision on which specific day Nissan 14 fell on.

What historical information can you or others provide to support the day you have chosen?

_
I understand. However, as I was explaining to Diane, when one picks a day, they also pick a year because we know exactly what day Nissan 14 falls on. And just to be clear, each year the 14th of Nissan falls on a different day.

If you or others pick a Thursday crucifiction, then that pretty much locks you into 34 CE.

For many scholars, this date seems to have some issues. Do you know what they are?

this right here is what i need go by historical accounts are ok but are they accurate ?
12 Now if Christ be preached that he rose from the dead, how say some among you that there is no resurrection of the dead?

13 But if there be no resurrection of the dead, then is Christ not risen:

14 And if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain.

15 Yea, and we are found false witnesses of God; because we have testified of God that he raised up Christ: whom he raised not up, if so be that the dead rise not.

16 For if the dead rise not, then is not Christ raised:

17 And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins.

18 Then they also which are fallen asleep in Christ are perished.

19 If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable.

20 But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept.

21 For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead.

22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.

23 But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming.

24 Then cometh the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power.

25 For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet.

26 The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.

27 For he hath put all things under his feet. But when he saith all things are put under him, it is manifest that he is excepted, which did put all things under him.

28 And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.

how is it very dangerous to use just the Bible? this should be interesting
Because we cannot place a date with a specific day through the Bible. Because the Passover can fall on any day, then that means any day of the week can be a Sabbath, so Sabbath doesn't always mean it's Saturday. In other words, the Bible does not tell us if Nisan 14 fell on a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday etc which means any of those days can also be the Sabbath.

That's ok, I don't agree with any other days other than Friday. However, I do respect how you and others come to any other day rather than Friday.

I don't expect us all to reason the same, but I think what is more important is not coming to an agreement on what day Jesus was crucified, but rather, understanding how we each come to the conclusions we come to and respecting each other in the process.

B.T.W, depending on which day anyone picks also determines which year Jesus died because we know exactly which day the 14th of Nissan fell on.
Also, we know what year Pontius Pilate died, as well as other historical figures.

Taking history into consideration, it is very dangerous to use just the Bible and ones own reasoning to make a decision on which specific day Nissan 14 fell on.

What historical information can you or others provide to support the day you have chosen?
The ECFs celebrated on Sunday because they wanted to honor the day of the resurrection. If I go back 3 days it brings me to Friday at 3:00 pm...part of any day is counted as a day.

If I try to add into this any other information I don't end up with 3 days.

why is the date so important? its the event is what is important
I understand how it's not important to you, and I'm ok with that. For me, I'm not seeking knowledge but rather, I am seeking understanding. And no, I'm not trying to win an argument. I'm just sharing how I understand things.

Now, is it important to know how long Pilate served? It depends on the question your trying to answer.

i go by my Bible saying going by the Bile only is very dangerous. is a very improper statement. it reminds me of listening to online video about apologetics.the story of the woman caught in the act of adultery .where christ said neither do i condemn the go and sin no more. the speaker said it was probably added in to sound good. makes me wonder is there anything else we should tear out of the Bible..

i go by my Bible saying going by the Bile only is very dangerous. is a very improper statement. it reminds me of listening to online video about apologetics.the story of the woman caught in the act of adultery .where christ said neither do i condemn the go and sin no more. the speaker said it was probably added in to sound good. makes me wonder is there anything else we should tear out of the Bible..
Do you believe in tearing out parts of the Bible?
What year is Galatians written?

Let's say it was added.
Would that harm your faith in God?

What year is Galatians written?
i was born in 1961 by mans calendar 2019 years ago christ was born.. i have no idea the year paul wrote it..and it does not matter. the part that matters is the content o foolish Galatians who has deceived you

The ECFs celebrated on Sunday because they wanted to honor the day of the resurrection. If I go back 3 days it brings me to Friday at 3:00 pm...part of any day is counted as a day.

If I try to add into this any other information I don't end up with 3 days.
Yes, but that alone doesn't address 3 nights.
Hey, want to have fun and learn something at the same time?

When was Galatians written?

i was born in 1961 by mans calendar 2019 years ago christ was born.. i have no idea the year paul wrote it..and it does not matter. the part that matters is the content o foolish Galatians who has deceived you
Not entirely true. There are many things in Pauls writings that connect elsewhere.

But if you don't want to learn, please stay out of my way and try to stifle my personal growth.

Yes, but that alone doesn't address 3 nights.
Hey, want to have fun and learn something at the same time?

When was Galatians written?
Oh. I said I dismiss the 3 nights...Italians talk like this....I have no problem with it.

Re Galatians:
Paul's 3rd missionary journey, about 45 to 56 AD.
From the NASB and with much doubt expressed....
In fact, they give 3 alternatives....

why would anyone want to make such a claim ..i realize i hit a hornets nest but the claim very dangerous i will disagree with
What would any mistake in the bible have to do with MY faith in God?
NONE.

Some think there are no mistakes.
I believe there are.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back