Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

How is a biblical conflict solved?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Status
Not open for further replies.
Justified by faith includes baptism Mk 16:16 acts 2:38-39 acts 8:36-38 1 pet 3:20-21

Gal 3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.

27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

Eph 4:5 one Lord, one faith, ( catholic ) one baptism!

1 John 5:8
And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.

Context of Jn 3:5 “born again”

John1:26 John answered them, saying, I baptize with water: but there standeth one among you, whom ye know not; (John prepared the way by baptism)

John 2:6 And there were set there six waterpots of stone, after the manner of the purifying of the Jews, containing two or three firkins apiece. (Old covenant prefiguring of baptism, purification from sin)(His disciples believed because the ever Virgin mother of God interceded Jn 2:11)

John3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. (Baptism)

(Key verse! Actions speak louder than words: verse 22)

John 3:22 After these things came Jesus and his disciples into the land of Judaea; and there he tarried with them, and baptized. 23 And John also was baptizing in Aenon near to Salim, because there was much water there: and they came, and were baptized.(Baptism / water)

John 4:1 When therefore the Lord knew how the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John.

Born again means Baptismal regeneration!

baptismal regeneration!
A new creation in Christ! 2 cor 5:17
Jn 1 JTB prepared the way by baptism!
Jn 2 the waters of purification are OT prefigurement of baptism!
Jn 3:5 born again means baptism
Jn 3:22 they immediately went to the river! Not to preach “accept Christ as personal lord and savior”
But to BAPTIZE!!!

The “faith alone” boys got a lot of scripture to explain or ignore!
Thanks

In my mind I have to research with other scriptures at times to understand one single word in a sentence in what it truly means, but that's just me :shrug

It's very important to get the whole counsel of Scripture on any particular doctrine given in its pages. God's word qualifies and clarifies itself, often having more to say on an issue than any one verse or passage communicates. In the case of John 3:5, what Jesus meant by what he said is crystal clear within the immediate context surrounding verse 5. But this one verse is by no means the final or total word on the matter of the spiritually-regenerating work of the Spirit, or the believer's second birth. The Bible has much more to tell us about these things than the few remarks Jesus made to Nicodemus in John 3. But this doesn't mean that verse 5 can't be fully and properly understood in its immediate context. Not at all. In fact, there is no better way to comprehend the meaning of John 3:5 than to do so in the light of the verses just before and after it.

Last edited:
The sola justification by faith alone which is contrary to scripture 1 Tim 3:15
I see you bought a biblical vegg-a-matic!
Slicing the word of God!

???

1 Timothy 3:15 (NASB)
15 but in case I am delayed, I write so that you will know how one ought to conduct himself in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and support of the truth.

How in the world is this passage made to contradict the doctrine of justification by faith that the Bible very clearly describes?

And if anyone is "slicing the word of God," donadams, it's you.

No John 3:5 say born again, not a first birth, but a supernatural birth is by both water AND the spirit

Merely asserting this doesn't prove the correctness of your assertion. One can make assertions about all sorts of things: I can assert that the moon is made of green cheese, or that Joe Biden is a lizard alien, but merely saying these things are so, by no means establishes that they are. I've given from the context of John 3:5 a textually-faithful interpretation of Jesus' words that you have done nothing to confound or rebut. And until you are able to do so, not just asserting what you think but showing why my interpretation isn't supported by the text, your assertions are, well, a lot of noise.

Sacrament is an oath or promise from God all thru the New Testament you will hear the promise of the father or the promise of God etc
Acts 2:38-39 this promise refers to ez 36:25-27 baptismal regeneration
With a new heart filled with God’s spirit

As I explained to for_his_glory, John 3:5 doesn't say everything that can be said about spiritual regeneration. But what it does say is best understood within its immediate context, not by leaping all about the Bible, ramming unrelated verses/passages into connection with it, and in so doing totally warping what the verse is actually saying.

Last edited:
Witness and testimony yes be ready to give a reason for you’re hope but that does not give authority from Christ to govern the church and administer the kingdom!
It not a Bible study!
It’s a covenant!
The true nature and structure of the church is not simply spiritual!
And not spiritual anarchy!

The power or authority of church government is a spiritual power being that of Christ's government for He alone has absolute and immediate power and authority over our very spirit and conscience ruling us by the invisible influence of His Spirit and grace as He pleases. John 3:8; Romans 8:14; Galatians 2:20

The power of church government is properly, purely, merely spiritual in its rule, foundation, matter, form, subject, object, end and all as the spiritual government of the church is set up by the Holy Spirit who sets up the order of the church, 1 Corinthians 12:27-28.

Col 3:1 If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.
Col 3:2 Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.
Col 3:3 For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.
Col 3:4 When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.

(Key verse! Actions speak louder than words: verse 22)

John 3:22 After these things came Jesus and his disciples into the land of Judaea; and there he tarried with them, and baptized. 23 And John also was baptizing in Aenon near to Salim, because there was much water there: and they came, and were baptized.(Baptism / water)

The Christian sacrament* of baptismal regeneration is required for the new covenant and salvation!

Don, "baptismal regeneration is required for the new covenant and salvation" isn't anywhere stated in the verse you've offered here. All the verse does is describe Jesus (and his disciples) being baptized by John the Baptist. That's it. There is no "and all Christians throughout all time ought to do likewise." There is only a description given in John 3:22, no prescription. This is important because a description in the Bible does not necessarily form a prescription. Thinking that it does commits the Is-Ought fallacy. The Bible describes a great many things no Christian would ever think to do: murder, rape, child sacrifice, etc. And so, it is silly to take a description of something in the Bible and force it to be a prescription of thought or conduct for all Christians in all times and places.

Faith & Baptism is the initiation of the new and eternal covenant!

You cannot enter on you’re own or by “faith alone”!

You cannot receive Christ or grace by “faith alone”!

“Accept Christ as you’re personal lord and savior” is fundamentalist tradition not found scripture!

This is just degenerating into denominational propaganda. The putting of exclamation points at the end of your declarations doesn't make them true, you know. I know you've been given many rebuttals to your declarations already, so I'm not going to add to them. All you ever do is ignore them, anyway. You've got your fingers in your ears while shouting at everyone that they're all wrong. This doesn't inspire a desire for conversation with you.

Does righteousness equal salvation?
YES!

Only the righteous will inherit the kingdom. And since it is IMPOSSIBLE to be righteous in and of ourselves we have to be given the righteousness that makes us eligible to enter into the kingdom. And so God credits us His righteousness when we believe in the blood of Christ for the forgiveness of our sin. It is on the basis of His righteousness that we have received, by faith, not works, that we become a saved person waiting for the redemption of the body and the renewal of all things.

donadams you need to expect others to oppose some of your beliefs and that is why there is a Catholic forum in order to discuss these beliefs of yours. This is the Biblical Growth and Study forum where we share the word of God, not by how the Roman Catholic Church believes, but what has already been written in the scriptures that make up the Bible. The Roman Catholic Church use to burn Bibles as they were forbidden to even own and read one. By the orders of the Roman hierarchy millions of Christians were killed in their crusades against Protestants.

When my nephew went through the Catechism and became a member of the Roman Catholic Church I bought him a Bible as a gift, but he was not allowed to accept it and that was back in the mid 70's. I know many Catholics who now use what you want to call the Protestant Bible, as you even say you use it along with your Catholic Bible, and they have found the heresies of the Roman Catholic doctrines with many that were of the Jesuit Priesthood exposing the heresies that do not line up with scripture, especially of the catechism, the idol worshipping and the secret societies that mainstream Catholics do not even know about.

I could show you facts of the Roman Catholic Church that would make one's skin crawl, but that is not what I am here for. Like I told JackrabbitSlim you can find that info in the End Times forum under the subforum Revelation and read Chapter 13 of the book I wrote. All the information I have in that chapter is from scripture, history and from a man that I have personally talked to that use to be to a very High Priest in the Jesuit order and now goes about exposing their heresies. You choose to refute the scriptures we give you as you would rather follow a man's doctrines instead of the doctrines of Christ and wonder why we oppose many things you believe as you have been indoctrinated in them.

I have nothing against you, but that of certain things you believe in and I pray the blinders will be taken off your eyes by that which we share with you in scripture.
Oh I know, we are only called to be faithful not successful

It's very important to get the whole counsel of Scripture on any particular doctrine given in its pages. God's word qualifies and clarifies itself, often having more to say on an issue than any one verse or passage communicates. In the case of John 3:5, what Jesus meant by what he said is crystal clear within the immediate context surrounding verse 5. But this one verse is by no means the final or total word on the matter of the spiritually-regenerating work of the Spirit, or the believer's second birth. The Bible has much more to tell us about these things than the few remarks Jesus made to Nicodemus in John 3. But this doesn't mean that verse 5 can't be fully and properly understood in its immediate context. Not at all. In fact, there is no better way to comprehend the meaning of John 3:5 than to do so in the light of the verses just before and after it.
Well, apparently the word water in John 3:5 has always been heavily debated for years as to what the word water means in that verse as I believe it is the living water of life being the word of God as in faith comes by hearing the word while others believe it is literal water baptism. But I do not want yo get into baptisms, just expressing what I believe.

Well, apparently the word water in John 3:5 has always been heavily debated for years as to what the word water means in that verse as I believe it is the living water of life being the word of God as in faith comes by hearing the word while others believe it is literal water baptism. But I do not want yo get into baptisms, just expressing what I believe.
Well, what we do know is it's 'flesh giving birth to flesh'. And that it must be understood in the context of the Jews and Nicodemus during Jesus' ministry.

Well, what we do know is it's 'flesh giving birth to flesh'. And that it must be understood in the context of the Jews and Nicodemus during Jesus' ministry.
Yes, as flesh does give birth to flesh and Spirit gives rebirth to the spirit as it is our inner man that is renewed by the Holy Spirit.

John 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
John 3:7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

Yes, as flesh does give birth to flesh and Spirit gives rebirth to the spirit as it is our inner man that is renewed by the Holy Spirit.

John 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
John 3:7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.
What we know is water, whatever that actually is, births a natural man, not a spiritual man. So do we understand the natural man to be simply the flesh and blood part of man, or the un-spiritual, fleshly nature of man? I lean toward the latter.

Baptism in Nicodemus's day was a baptism for repentance. Repentance can only birth a repentant but still very natural unspiritual man. That 'birth is not sufficient to see and enter into the kingdom of God. You must have the spiritual birth, too.

What we know is water, whatever that actually is, births a natural man, not a spiritual man. So do we understand the natural man to be simply the flesh and blood part of man, or the un-spiritual, fleshly nature of man? I lean toward the latter.

Baptism in Nicodemus's day was a baptism for repentance. Repentance can only birth a repentant but still very natural unspiritual man. That 'birth is not sufficient to see and enter into the kingdom of God. You must have the spiritual birth, too.
I will dart in and then flee.

Water is a universal solvent.

Pure distilled:vapor, liquid, solid

Water can be contaminated:
Sewage. Not meaning fertilizer.

Water can contain good nutrients:
Minerals, dissolved or in suspension other gasses..,,,

Blood can be similar.

The fluid that floats the brain and flows past the cerebellum is fairly clear as it passed the tree planted on either side.

Physical birth precedes spiritual birth. Born again is a birth too.

Now I run.
eddif

Where does scripture say it’s evil?
Just to name a few:

Catholic Catechism
1.The Eucharist
A. "When the Church celebrates the Eucharist, she commemorates Christ's Passover, and it is made present. As often as the sacrifice of the Cross by which Christ our Pasch has been sacrificed is celebrated on the altar, the word of our redemption is carried out." (Pg. 380, #1364)
"Every time this mystery is celebrated, 'the work of our redemption is carried on'...(Pg. 393, #1405)
"...we express our faith in the real presence of Christ under the species of bread and wine by, among other ways, genuflecting or bowing deeply as a sign of adoration of the Lord. (#1378, p.385)

The Bible
1a. Heb. 9:24-26
24 "For Christ did not enter a holy place made with hands, a mere copy of the true one, but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us; 25 nor was it that He would offer Himself often, as the high priest enters the holy place year by year with blood that is not his own. 26 Otherwise, He would have needed to suffer often since the foundation of the world; but now once at the consummation of the ages He has been manifested to put away sin by the sacrifice of Himself."
John 19:30
"Therefore when Jesus had received the sour wine, He said, “It is finished!” And He bowed His head and gave up His spirit."
Heb. 7:26-27
26 For it was fitting for us to have such a high priest, holy, innocent, undefiled, separated from sinners and exalted above the heavens; 27 who does not need daily, like those high priests, to offer up sacrifices, first for His own sins and then for the sins of the people, because this He did once for all when He offered up Himself."
Heb. 9:28
"so Christ also, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time for salvation without reference to sin, to those who eagerly await Him."

Catholic Catechism
2. Baptism
A. "The Lord himself affirms that Baptism is necessary for salvation." (Pg. 352, #1257)
"The Church does not know of any other means other than Baptism that assures entry into eternal beatitude..." (Pg. 352, #1257)
"The faithful are born anew by Baptism.."(Pg. 341, #1212).

The Bible
2.a Rom. 1:16
"For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek."
1 Thess. 5:9
"For God has not destined us for wrath, but for obtaining salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ,"
2 Tim. 2:10
"For this reason I endure all things for the sake of those who are chosen, so that they also may obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus and with it eternal glory."
2 Tim. 3:15
"and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus."

Catholic Catechism
3. Venerating Statues and Images
A. "Sacred images in our churches and homes are intended to awaken and nourish our faith in the mystery of Christ. Though the icon of Christ and his works of salvation, it is he whom we adore. Through sacred images of the holy Mother of God, of the angels and of the saints, we venerate the persons represented." (Pg. 337, #1192)

The Bible
3a. Rom. 10:17
"So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ."
Ex. 20:4
"You shall not make for yourself an idol, or any likeness of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the water under the earth."
Deut. 4:23
"So watch yourselves, that you do not forget the covenant of the Lord your God which He made with you, and make for yourselves a graven image in the form of anything against which the Lord your God has commanded you."
1 Cor. 10:19-20
"What do I mean then? That a thing sacrificed to idols is anything, or that an idol is anything? 20 No, but I say that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice to demons and not to God; and I do not want you to become sharers in demons."

Catholic Catechism
4. Purgatory
A. "All who die in God's grace and friendship, but still imperfectly purified, are indeed assured of their eternal salvation; but after death they undergo purification, so as to achieve the holiness necessary to enter the joy of heaven." (Pg. 291, #1030)
"The Church gives the name Purgatory to this final purification of the elect.." (Pg. 291, #1031)
"The Church formulated her doctrine of faith on Purgatory especially at the Councils of Florence and Trent." (Pg. 291, #1031)
"But at the present time some of his disciples are pilgrims on earth. Others have died and are being purified, while still others are in glory..." (Pg. 270, #954)

The Bible
4a. 1 John 1:7
"but if we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin."
Col. 2:14
"having canceled out the certificate of debt consisting of decrees against us, which was hostile to us; and He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross."
Heb. 10:14
"For by one offering He has perfected for all time those who are sanctified."
Rom. 3:24
"being justified as a gift by His grace through the redemption which is in Christ Jesus;"
Col. 1:14
"in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins."
Rom. 5:9
"Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from the wrath of God through Him."
Rom. 5:18
"So then as through one transgression there resulted condemnation to all men, even so through one act of righteousness there resulted justification of life to all men."
1 Cor. 6:11
"Such were some of you; but you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God."
2 Cor. 5:8
"we are of good courage, I say, and prefer rather to be absent from the body and to be at home with the Lord."
John 3:36
"He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not [a]obey the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.”
Mat. 25:46
"These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

Catholic Catechism
5. Interpretation of Scripture
A. "The task of interpreting the Word of God authentically has been entrusted solely to the magisterium of the Church, that is, the Pope and to the bishops in communion with him." #100, p.35

The Bible
5a. "These things I have written to you concerning those who are trying to deceive you. 27 As for you, the anointing which you received from Him abides in you, and you have no need for anyone to teach you; but as His anointing teaches you about all things, and is true and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you abide in Him."
John 14:26
"But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you."
John 16:13
"But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come."
2 Tim. 2:15
"Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth."
2 Pet. 1:20
"But know this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture is a matter of one’s own interpretation,"

Catholic Catechism
6. The Pope: Vicar of Christ
A. "For the Roman Pontiff, by reason of his office as Vicar of Christ, and as pastor of the entire Church has full, supreme, and universal power over the whole Church, a power which he can always exercise unhindered." (#882, p. 254)
"The Roman Pontiff...as supreme pastor and teacher of all the faithful.." (#891, p. 256)
"The Pope enjoys, by divine institution, supreme, full, immediate, and universal power in the care of souls" (#937, p.267)

The Bible
6a. Eph. 5:23
"For the husband is the head of the wife, as Christ also is the head of the church, He Himself being the Savior of the body."
"But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you."
"But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come."
Mat. 20:25-28
"But Jesus called them to Himself and said, “You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their great men exercise authority over them. 26 It is not this way among you, but whoever wishes to become great among you shall be your servant, 27 and whoever wishes to be first among you shall be your slave; 28 just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His [a]life a ransom for many.”
John 17:11
" I am no longer in the world; and yet they themselves are in the world, and I come to You. Holy Father, keep them in Your name, the name which You have given Me, that they may be one even as We are."
Rev. 15:4
“Who will not fear, O Lord, and glorify Your name?
For You alone are holy;
For all the nations will come and worship before You,
For Your righteous acts have been revealed.”
Isa. 42:8
"“I am the Lord, that is My name;
I will not give My glory to another,
Nor My praise to graven images."

I would also say the unspiritual fleshly nature of man. There are two baptisms. One being John's for repentance only, prepare ye the way of the Lord, and the other being the Baptism of Christ who will baptize us with the Holy Spirit and fire.

Just to name a few:

Catholic Catechism
1.The Eucharist
A. "When the Church celebrates the Eucharist, she commemorates Christ's Passover, and it is made present. As often as the sacrifice of the Cross by which Christ our Pasch has been sacrificed is celebrated on the altar, the word of our redemption is carried out." (Pg. 380, #1364)
"Every time this mystery is celebrated, 'the work of our redemption is carried on'...(Pg. 393, #1405)
"...we express our faith in the real presence of Christ under the species of bread and wine by, among other ways, genuflecting or bowing deeply as a sign of adoration of the Lord. (#1378, p.385)

The Bible
1a. Heb. 9:24-26
24 "For Christ did not enter a holy place made with hands, a mere copy of the true one, but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us; 25 nor was it that He would offer Himself often, as the high priest enters the holy place year by year with blood that is not his own. 26 Otherwise, He would have needed to suffer often since the foundation of the world; but now once at the consummation of the ages He has been manifested to put away sin by the sacrifice of Himself."
John 19:30
"Therefore when Jesus had received the sour wine, He said, “It is finished!” And He bowed His head and gave up His spirit."
Heb. 7:26-27
26 For it was fitting for us to have such a high priest, holy, innocent, undefiled, separated from sinners and exalted above the heavens; 27 who does not need daily, like those high priests, to offer up sacrifices, first for His own sins and then for the sins of the people, because this He did once for all when He offered up Himself."
Heb. 9:28
"so Christ also, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time for salvation without reference to sin, to those who eagerly await Him."

Catholic Catechism
2. Baptism
A. "The Lord himself affirms that Baptism is necessary for salvation." (Pg. 352, #1257)
"The Church does not know of any other means other than Baptism that assures entry into eternal beatitude..." (Pg. 352, #1257)
"The faithful are born anew by Baptism.."(Pg. 341, #1212).

The Bible
2.a Rom. 1:16
"For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek."
1 Thess. 5:9
"For God has not destined us for wrath, but for obtaining salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ,"
2 Tim. 2:10
"For this reason I endure all things for the sake of those who are chosen, so that they also may obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus and with it eternal glory."
2 Tim. 3:15
"and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus."

Catholic Catechism
3. Venerating Statues and Images
A. "Sacred images in our churches and homes are intended to awaken and nourish our faith in the mystery of Christ. Though the icon of Christ and his works of salvation, it is he whom we adore. Through sacred images of the holy Mother of God, of the angels and of the saints, we venerate the persons represented." (Pg. 337, #1192)

The Bible
3a. Rom. 10:17
"So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ."
Ex. 20:4
"You shall not make for yourself an idol, or any likeness of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the water under the earth."
Deut. 4:23
"So watch yourselves, that you do not forget the covenant of the Lord your God which He made with you, and make for yourselves a graven image in the form of anything against which the Lord your God has commanded you."
1 Cor. 10:19-20
"What do I mean then? That a thing sacrificed to idols is anything, or that an idol is anything? 20 No, but I say that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice to demons and not to God; and I do not want you to become sharers in demons."

Catholic Catechism
4. Purgatory
A. "All who die in God's grace and friendship, but still imperfectly purified, are indeed assured of their eternal salvation; but after death they undergo purification, so as to achieve the holiness necessary to enter the joy of heaven." (Pg. 291, #1030)
"The Church gives the name Purgatory to this final purification of the elect.." (Pg. 291, #1031)
"The Church formulated her doctrine of faith on Purgatory especially at the Councils of Florence and Trent." (Pg. 291, #1031)
"But at the present time some of his disciples are pilgrims on earth. Others have died and are being purified, while still others are in glory..." (Pg. 270, #954)

The Bible
4a. 1 John 1:7
"but if we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin."
Col. 2:14
"having canceled out the certificate of debt consisting of decrees against us, which was hostile to us; and He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross."
Heb. 10:14
"For by one offering He has perfected for all time those who are sanctified."
Rom. 3:24
"being justified as a gift by His grace through the redemption which is in Christ Jesus;"
Col. 1:14
"in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins."
Rom. 5:9
"Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from the wrath of God through Him."
Rom. 5:18
"So then as through one transgression there resulted condemnation to all men, even so through one act of righteousness there resulted justification of life to all men."
1 Cor. 6:11
"Such were some of you; but you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God."
2 Cor. 5:8
"we are of good courage, I say, and prefer rather to be absent from the body and to be at home with the Lord."
John 3:36
"He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not [a]obey the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.”
Mat. 25:46
"These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

Catholic Catechism
5. Interpretation of Scripture
A. "The task of interpreting the Word of God authentically has been entrusted solely to the magisterium of the Church, that is, the Pope and to the bishops in communion with him." #100, p.35

The Bible
5a. "These things I have written to you concerning those who are trying to deceive you. 27 As for you, the anointing which you received from Him abides in you, and you have no need for anyone to teach you; but as His anointing teaches you about all things, and is true and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you abide in Him."
2 Tim. 2:15
"Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth."
2 Pet. 1:20
"But know this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture is a matter of one’s own interpretation,"

Catholic Catechism
6. The Pope: Vicar of Christ
A. "For the Roman Pontiff, by reason of his office as Vicar of Christ, and as pastor of the entire Church has full, supreme, and universal power over the whole Church, a power which he can always exercise unhindered." (#882, p. 254)
"The Roman Pontiff...as supreme pastor and teacher of all the faithful.." (#891, p. 256)
"The Pope enjoys, by divine institution, supreme, full, immediate, and universal power in the care of souls" (#937, p.267)

The Bible
6a. Eph. 5:23
"For the husband is the head of the wife, as Christ also is the head of the church, He Himself being the Savior of the body."
Mat. 20:25-28
"But Jesus called them to Himself and said, “You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their great men exercise authority over them. 26 It is not this way among you, but whoever wishes to become great among you shall be your servant, 27 and whoever wishes to be first among you shall be your slave; 28 just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His [a]life a ransom for many.”
John 17:11
" I am no longer in the world; and yet they themselves are in the world, and I come to You. Holy Father, keep them in Your name, the name which You have given Me, that they may be one even as We are."
Rev. 15:4
“Who will not fear, O Lord, and glorify Your name?
For You alone are holy;
For all the nations will come and worship before You,
For Your righteous acts have been revealed.”
Isa. 42:8
"“I am the Lord, that is My name;
I will not give My glory to another,
Nor My praise to graven images."
Please post your source.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back