Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

How is a biblical conflict solved?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would also say the unspiritual fleshly nature of man. There are two baptisms. One being John's for repentance only, prepare ye the way of the Lord, and the other being the Baptism of Christ who will baptize us with the Holy Spirit and fire.
John's baptism wasn't for repentance "only".
It is written..."John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins." (Mark 1:4)

Physical birth precedes spiritual birth.
Yes, but more importantly, natural, fleshly, unspiritual man precedes spiritual man. He is the man born first. He is Ishmael. He represents being born in the natural way according to the usual and expected way that a person is born into the kingdom - repentance to the law. But the man born second is the spiritual man. He is Isaac. He is born as the result of a promise completely out of order and against all natural expectation and hope:

Galatians 4:22-31
22For it is written that Abraham had two sons, one by the slave woman and the other by the free woman.b 23His son by the slave woman was born according to the flesh, but his son by the free woman was born through the promise.

28Now you,d brothers, like Isaac, are children of promise. 29At that time, however, the son born by the flesh persecuted the son born by the Spirit. It is the same now.

30But what does the Scripture say? “Expel the slave woman and her son, for the slave woman’s son will never share in the inheritance with the free woman’s son.”e 31Therefore, brothers, we are not children of the slave woman, but of the free woman.

And so I think Paul is giving us the answer to the age old question of what Jesus is referring to when he speaks of being born of water, flesh being born of flesh, and spirit being born of the Spirit.

John 3:5-6
5...no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. 6Flesh is born of flesh, but spirit is born of the Spirit.

How is a biblical conflict solved?

Two honest and upright Christians reading a verse of scripture and holding opposing views as to its meaning:

Is one more valid and orthodox or authoritative than the other?

How is this conflict resolved so all parties can come to a biblical understanding and have a true and correct faith?

Examples:

Mk 16:16 only faith is required for salvation.
Mk 16:16 faith and baptism are required for salvation.

Jn 3:5 imply’s a spiritual baptism.
Jn 3:5 imply’s water baptism.

Matt 16:18 Peter’s confess is the rock upon which Christ builds His church.
Matt 16:18 Peter’s person is the rock upon which Christ builds His church.

Acts 8:36-38 salvation by faith, then the ordinance and public profession of faith by water baptism.
Acts 8:36-38 faith and baptism.
Going back to the OP
To this redneck:
The real confusion is the meaning of baptism.

If we do not understand the Greek meaning we flounder around in our favorite religious definition.

eddif

Going back to the OP
To this redneck:
The real confusion is the meaning of baptism.

If we do not understand the Greek meaning we flounder around in our favorite religious definition.

As an addition to Greek word baptism.

We might consider the Greek word stone.

A philosophers stone is not only something that turns lead into gold, but a building block a of a foundational philosophical construction.

Jesus was the stone the builders rejected. The whole concept of Jesus being a basic building block in thought.

I have not read the book. The title caused the thought,

eddif

donadams you need to expect others to oppose some of your beliefs and that is why there is a Catholic forum in order to discuss these beliefs of yours. This is the Biblical Growth and Study forum where we share the word of God, not by how the Roman Catholic Church believes, but what has already been written in the scriptures that make up the Bible. The Roman Catholic Church use to burn Bibles as they were forbidden to even own and read one. By the orders of the Roman hierarchy millions of Christians were killed in their crusades against Protestants.

When my nephew went through the Catechism and became a member of the Roman Catholic Church I bought him a Bible as a gift, but he was not allowed to accept it and that was back in the mid 70's. I know many Catholics who now use what you want to call the Protestant Bible, as you even say you use it along with your Catholic Bible, and they have found the heresies of the Roman Catholic doctrines with many that were of the Jesuit Priesthood exposing the heresies that do not line up with scripture, especially of the catechism, the idol worshipping and the secret societies that mainstream Catholics do not even know about.

I could show you facts of the Roman Catholic Church that would make one's skin crawl, but that is not what I am here for. Like I told JackrabbitSlim you can find that info in the End Times forum under the subforum Revelation and read Chapter 13 of the book I wrote. All the information I have in that chapter is from scripture, history and from a man that I have personally talked to that use to be to a very High Priest in the Jesuit order and now goes about exposing their heresies. You choose to refute the scriptures we give you as you would rather follow a man's doctrines instead of the doctrines of Christ and wonder why we oppose many things you believe as you have been indoctrinated in them.

I have nothing against you, but that of certain things you believe in and I pray the blinders will be taken off your eyes by that which we share with you in scripture.
What is the source of this opposition?

It is because they operate from a motive of pride, and the nature of pride is always to protest, rebellion, and to stand in opposition!

The nature of humility is always faithfulness, obedience, subjection, and meekness!

A Virtue of Jesus Christ!

Matthew 11:29
Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

Example:

St Joseph never says a single word in scripture but always faithfully obeys in all humility and allows scripture to speak volumes for Him!

Matt 1:19 Then Joseph her husband, being a just man!

St Joseph never says a single word in scripture but always faithfully obeys in all humility and allows scripture to speak volumes for Him!
The angel told Joseph to call his name Jesus. It says he did all the angel commanded.

I suppose he spoke.

eddif

Our salvation is by grace!

Jn 3:22 so they went to river (water) to baptize in the word?
They went and preached “accept Christ as your personal lord and savior?

Or does it say:

John 3:22 After these things came Jesus and his disciples into the land of Judaea; and there he tarried with them, and baptized. 23 And John also was baptizing in Aenon near to Salim, because there was much water there: and they came, and were baptized.(Baptism / water)

John 4:1 When therefore the Lord knew how the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John.

Born again means Baptismal regeneration!

That verse refers to an apostle / bishop not the people who must be taught

Lk 1:4
Matt 28:19
Jn 20:21
Acts 8:31
Colossians 2:7
Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught…

No Christian has the authority to read scripture for yourself and decide your own doctrines or beliefs! Eph 4:5 Jude 1:3

And there is only one savior on covenant one church one Lord one faith one baptism for all men and all time till Christ returns

Lk 2:10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. ( catholic universal) All men!

Lk 2:31 prepared before the face of all (catholic) people. All men!

Jn 1:29 lamb of God who takes way the sins of the world. All men!

Jn 3:16 for God so loved the world

1 Jn 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world. All men!

Lk 2: 10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. All men!

11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. (All people universal) All men!

1 Tim 2:5 one mediator

Jn 10:16 One new covenant church

Only Jesus Christ has authority to found the church on Peter and the apostles! Matt 16:18-19 Matt 18:18
Jn 20:21 eph 2:20

All others are heretical sects the tradition of men!

Revelation 1:5-6 KJV​

5And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood, 6And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

Those who are saved / received Jesus Christ's blood atonement have already become priests therefore that verse 2 Timothy 2:15 applies to us saved believers

Grace is received in baptism

Here’s the context of Jn 3:5

Context of Jn 3:5 “born again”

John1:26 John answered them, saying, I baptize with water: but there standeth one among you, whom ye know not; (John prepared the way by baptism)

John 2:6 And there were set there six waterpots of stone, after the manner of the purifying of the Jews, containing two or three firkins apiece. (Old covenant prefiguring of baptism, purification from sin)(His disciples believed because the ever Virgin mother of God interceded Jn 2:11)

John3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. (Baptism)

(Key verse! Actions speak louder than words: verse 22)

John 3:22 After these things came Jesus and his disciples into the land of Judaea; and there he tarried with them, and baptized. 23 And John also was baptizing in Aenon near to Salim, because there was much water there: and they came, and were baptized.(Baptism / water)

John 4:1 When therefore the Lord knew how the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John.

baptismal regeneration!
A new creation in Christ! 2 cor 5:17
Jn 1 JTB prepared the way by baptism!
Jn 2 the waters of purification are OT prefigurement of baptism!
Jn 3:5 born again means baptism
Jn 3:22 they immediately went to the river! Not to preach “accept Christ as personal lord and savior”
But to BAPTIZE!!!

Grace is received in baptism

Here’s the context of Jn 3:5

John1:26 John answered them, saying, I baptize with water: but there standeth one among you, whom ye know not; (John prepared the way by baptism)

John 2:6 And there were set there six waterpots of stone, after the manner of the purifying of the Jews, containing two or three firkins apiece. (Old covenant prefiguring of baptism, purification from sin)(His disciples believed because the ever Virgin mother of God interceded Jn 2:11)

John3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. (Baptism)

baptismal regeneration!
A new creation in Christ! 2 cor 5:17
Jn 1 JTB prepared the way by baptism!
Jn 2 the waters of purification are OT prefigurement of baptism!
Jn 3:5 born again means baptism
Jn 3:22 they immediately went to the river! Not to preach “accept Christ as personal lord and savior”
But to BAPTIZE!!!
You are born again because your spirit is dead to begin with which we inherited from Adam and Eve when they ate the forbidden fruit, that's why their naked because their spirit that is covering them died.

Romans 8:11 KJV​

“But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.”

Also you missed this verse that there are 2 distinct Baptisms in the Bible

Matthew 3:11 KJV​

“I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:”

Acts 1:5 KJV​

“For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.”

Water Baptism = Physical = Command
Baptism of the Holy Ghost = Spiritual = Salvation

Already explained it in my post
https://christianforums.net/threads/is-water-baptism-necessary-for-salvation.94068/page-5

It is because they operate from a motive of pride, and the nature of pride is always to protest, rebellion, and to stand in opposition!
My apologies but this seems to describe most of your posts here on CFnet.

The nature of humility is always faithfulness, obedience, subjection, and meekness!
And this seems to describe what your posts tend to lack.

Just my observation.

Ecclesiastes 8:4​

“Where the word of a king is, there is power: and who may say unto him, What doest thou?”

King James Version
Wonderful answer.
I see the version of a verse that allows a man to walk free of sin as "of God".
I see the version of a verse that accommodates sinful behavior as "of the devil".

What is the source of this opposition?

I already gave my source as you can find that if you go to the End Times forum then click on the sub-forum Revelation and read what I have written on Revelation 13

And is this not what you are doing in all the threads you are involved in pushing your Catholic beliefs?

It's not about Catholicism vs. Protestantism, but about what has already been written in the Bible that God wants us to learn. Anything beyond the word of God are only a man's doctrine.

Where does scripture say that only the Roman Catholic Church is the only true religion and only they will go to heaven?

For that matter where does it say in scripture that any denomination/non-denomination are God's true church?
First cos there is only one head so there is only one church!

Major covenants!

God initiated each covenant and the mediator always remains on earth mediating the covenant except for Christ who made Peter His personal representative and vicar! (Matt 16:18-19) with the keys of jurisdictional authority over the kingdom or new covenant church!

Adam
(Marriage covenant)

Noah
(Family covenant)

Abraham
(Tribal covenant)

Moses:
(National covenant)

Jesus Christ:
(Universal covenant)

New and eternal covenant founded by Jesus Christ! Matt 16:18

Universal (Catholic)
World universal

Lk 2:10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. ( catholic universal) All men!

Lk 2:31 prepared before the face of all (catholic) people. All men!

Jn 1:29 lamb of God who takes way the sins of the world. All men!

Jn 3:16 for God so loved the world

1 Jn 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world. All men!

Lk 2: 10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. All men!

11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. (All people universal) All men!

1 Tim 2:5 one mediator

Jn 10:16 One new covenant church

Only Jesus Christ has authority to found the church on Peter and the apostles! Matt 16:18-19 Matt 18:18
Jn 20:21 eph 2:20

All others are heretical sects the tradition of men!

Christ is king and established a kingdom!

Obedience to the apostles who have the jurisdictional authority to govern the church and administer the kingdom is obedience to Christ!

Kingdom

Dan 2:44 And in the days of these kings shall the God of heaven set up a kingdom, which shall never be destroyed: and the kingdom shall not be left to other people, but it shall break in pieces and consume all these kingdoms, and it shall stand for ever.

the holy Catholic Church

Lk 1:32 He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David:

33 And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end.

Matthew 5:14
Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.

Lk 22:29 And I appoint unto you a kingdom, as my Father hath appointed unto me;
30 That ye may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom, and sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel.
31 And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat: (plural Peter and his successors)
32 But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.

Jesus Christ is king!

We must submit and obey the king of kings!

And His authorized ministers that He Himself appointed!

Matt 16:18-19 & 28:28 eph 2:20 Jn 20:21-23

Lk 10:16
He who hears you hears me...

John 13:20
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that receiveth whomsoever I send receiveth me; and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me.

Truth must be revealed by God thru Christ to His church (the apostles Jude 1:3) then must be proposed by the church, (Matt 28:19 gal 3:23) without error by the Holy Spirit! (Jn 16:13)

Christ and His church are one! (Acts 9:4 eph 5:31 Jn 15:1-5)

The evidence of true faith is humble subjection and obedience to Christ & His holy church!

The rule of faith for Christians is Jesus Christ Jn 14:6 and His church! Matt 18:17 acts 2:42 1 Tim 3:15

True Christians cannot listen to the errors of excommunicated heretics, but we listen faithfully to Christ, in the bosom of holy mother church, the only ark of salvation!
1 pet 3:20-21 matt 18:17 matt 16:18-19 matt 28:19-20 Jn 16:13 Jn 20:21-23

More below

Prophecy of the new covenant and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof. (The new covenant church) Jn 15:1-5 (the church is the new Jerusalem the kingdom) gal 4:26 (one church) Jn 10:16

Dan 2: 44 And in the days of these kings (Roman Caesars) shall the God of heaven set up a kingdom, which shall never be destroyed: and the kingdom shall not be left to other people, but it shall break in pieces and consume all these kingdoms, and it shall stand for ever.

Isaiah 2:2
And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the Lord's house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it.

Micah 4:1
But in the last days it shall come to pass, that the mountain of the house of the Lord shall be established in the top of the mountains, and it shall be exalted above the hills; and people shall flow unto it.

Daniel 7:18
But the saints of the most High shall take the kingdom, and possess the kingdom for ever, even for ever and ever.

Rev 21: 10 And he carried me away in the spirit to a great and high mountain, and shewed me that great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God,

11 Having the glory of God: and her light was like unto a stone most precious, even like a jasper stone, clear as crystal;

Lk 1:32 He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David:

33 And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end.

Lk 22:29 And I appoint unto you a kingdom, as my Father hath appointed unto me;

Heb 12:22 But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels,

23 To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,

28 Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear:

Matthew 5:14
Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.

Matt 21:43 taken from Israel given to Peter and the apostles Matt 16:18-19 18:18 Jn 20:21 eph 2:20

1 Peter 4:11
If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

Jude 1:8
Likewise also these filthy dreamers defile the flesh, despise dominion, and speak evil of dignities.

Jude 1:25
To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.

Christ is king and has all authority and dominion!

Christ appointed Peter, the apostles, and their successors to govern the church and administer the kingdom until He returns in glory!

Submission and obedience to them is submission and obedience to Christ!

Christ is king and has one kingdom not 25000 kingdoms!
Christ alone is the head of the church not the head of 25000 sects!
Christ alone is the mediator of one covenant not 25000 covenants!

Thanks

Also you asked about the fire?

What is the Fire?

Matthew 3:11
I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance. but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

The fire represents the Love of God!

Ez 36:25 Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.

26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

Acts 2:3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.

4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. (Tongues represents the light of truth and the fire of divine love)

Romans 5:5 And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

John's baptism wasn't for repentance "only".
It is written..."John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins." (Mark 1:4)
These few scriptures below shows that John's baptism was for repentance only as a recognition of one's sin as a desire for spiritual cleansing in anticipation of the coming of Messiah.

Isa 40:3 The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the LORD, make straight in the desert a highway for our God.
Isa 40:4 Every valley shall be exalted, and every mountain and hill shall be made low: and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough places plain:
Isa 40:5 And the glory of the LORD shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it.

Mat 3:1 In those days came John the Baptist, preaching in the wilderness of Judaea,
Mat 3:2 And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.
Mat 3:3 For this is he that was spoken of by the prophet Esaias, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.

Mat 3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

Act 19:1 And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples,
Act 19:2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.
Act 19:3 And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.
Act 19:4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.
Act 19:5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

Don, "baptismal regeneration is required for the new covenant and salvation" isn't anywhere stated in the verse you've offered here. All the verse does is describe Jesus (and his disciples) being baptized by John the Baptist. That's it. There is no "and all Christians throughout all time ought to do likewise." There is only a description given in John 3:22, no prescription. This is important because a description in the Bible does not necessarily form a prescription. Thinking that it does commits the Is-Ought fallacy. The Bible describes a great many things no Christian would ever think to do: murder, rape, child sacrifice, etc. And so, it is silly to take a description of something in the Bible and force it to be a prescription of thought or conduct for all Christians in all times and places.

This is just degenerating into denominational propaganda. The putting of exclamation points at the end of your declarations doesn't make them true, you know. I know you've been given many rebuttals to your declarations already, so I'm not going to add to them. All you ever do is ignore them, anyway. You've got your fingers in your ears while shouting at everyone that they're all wrong. This doesn't inspire a desire for conversation with you.
Then let’s stick with a study of the whole context of Jn 3:5 beginning in Jn 1 to Jn 4

Notice you cannot enter the kingdom unless you are born again, by both water and the spirit
They did not immediately go and preach “accept Christ as you’re personal Lord and savior” (your 16th century novelty gospel) but they went to the river (water) and baptized, not with John’s baptism of repentance alone with only prepared the way for Christ and his sacrament of baptismal regeneration! (New creation)

There are many more verses we can get into to this truth!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back