Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Is the holy Spirit the Spirit of Christ?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Rick W said:
Cornelius said:
glorydaz said:
The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of God and the Spirit of Christ. They are one God.

Then why give them different names?

I have no idea.

Isa 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

To walk in the spirit of Christ, is to walk as Jesus walked, which is in total agreement with the Holy Spirit . So I am not taking away from anything. But surely we can see that God wants us to see that to just be filled with the Holy Spirit and not to also WALK in the "attitude/spirit" of Christ, is useless. We are not part of Him if we do not walk His walk.

believe in the Godhead, One God, the Father, Son and Holy Spirit

I glorified you on earth, having accomplished the work that you gave me to do. 5 And now, Father, glorify me in your own presence with the glory that I had with you before the world existed. (John 17:4,5)

Go ye therefore, and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them into the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit (Matthew 28:19)

Darcy

I realize that you and I are getting off topic so this will be my last post on our subject here

re: 17:5 - Please read IP1:20 - Jesus was foreknown (as were you). I had glory with God before the world was as well - so did you.

re: Mt 28:19 - This represents a textual corruption (similar to IJn5:7 except much earlier). Please first review all the baptism formula's in Acts - you will note that they are consistent - and different than Mt 28:19. You can do your study on this text and find the same thing that I did.

OK - that's it re: the Trinity for me. If you want to pick this up a bit please start a new thread - BUT we have to focus on just one item and resolve it. I will let you pick the first item.

Best,
Anth

DarcyLu said:
Anth said:
are you a non tritarian, Anth?

Answer:
1 Corinthians 8:6 (New International Version)
6yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live.

John 17:3 (New International Version)
3Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.
thanks for you answer, i have spent alot of time over the past week or so studying this and there is one God, yet He consists of 3. i see throughout scripture the validity of this, He was 3 in Genesis, God created the world, through Jesus, and the Spirit hovered over the waters. this is Christianity's entire foundation.

I thought Jesus was the man (the flesh and blood part)?

Wouldn't your statement mean that Jesus had a flesh body before he was born? :o

glorydaz said:
Anth said:
we are not to be worshipped, we are not gods.

Darcy - While the "holy spirit" may stop Glory in his tracks, I am betting that Jesus might stop you in your tracks....

Here is Rev 3:9 your edification....

9 Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before your feet, and to know that I have loved you.

Operative word = "worship"

Bow down as to kings and priests...which is what we are.
We are not gods to be worshipped. You can't believe Jesus is God, but you can believe we're to be worshipped? Something is wrong with this picture.

Rev. 3 said:
8I have known thy works; lo, I have set before thee a door -- opened, and no one is able to shut it, because thou hast a little power, and didst keep my word, and didst not deny my name;

9lo, I make of the synagogue of the Adversary those saying themselves to be Jews, and are not, but do lie; lo, I will make them that they may come and bow before thy feet, and may know that I loved thee.

10`Because thou didst keep the word of my endurance, I also will keep thee from the hour of the trial that is about to come upon all the world, to try those dwelling upon the earth.

Which brings me to another question.

We're the body of Christ. If Christ (Jesus, the Spirit etc) is one part of who God is ( or is God, etc), and, we're the body of Christ, doesn't that make us, part of God? (Spiritually speaking of course, i.e., once we're changed into our spirit(ual) bodies). If Jesus is God, and we're the body of..., ?

researcher said:
glorydaz said:
Bow down as to kings and priests...which is what we are.
We are not gods to be worshipped. You can't believe Jesus is God, but you can believe we're to be worshipped? Something is wrong with this picture.

Rev. 3 said:
8I have known thy works; lo, I have set before thee a door -- opened, and no one is able to shut it, because thou hast a little power, and didst keep my word, and didst not deny my name;

9lo, I make of the synagogue of the Adversary those saying themselves to be Jews, and are not, but do lie; lo, I will make them that they may come and bow before thy feet, and may know that I loved thee.

10`Because thou didst keep the word of my endurance, I also will keep thee from the hour of the trial that is about to come upon all the world, to try those dwelling upon the earth.

We're the body of Christ. If Christ (Jesus, the Spirit etc) is one part of who God is ( or is God, etc), and, we're the body of Christ, doesn't that make us, part of God? (Spiritually speaking of course, i.e., once we're changed into our spirit(ual) bodies). If Jesus is God, and we're the body of..., ?

Yes, Jesus is the head of the church and we're the body of Christ. If you're referring to the worship aspect, however, we are only a body. We don't become God. His name is Jealous for a reason. Remember what happened with the most beautiful angel? Pride.

The church is given to judge, and the bowing down is in connection with our authority to judge in God's stead. Remember the portion of scripture where Jesus says, I called ye gods....that comes from Psalm 82 and speaks of the judges. Some will take that portion of scripture and claim Jesus is calling us Gods. The same word is always used in the plural form meaning a "plentitude of power". It is never meant as Gods. The word "worship" as used in some translations means to "bow down" to the authority of the church...not as in worshiping God. This is one of those cases where the word would be fine if everyone understood the true meaning, but some don't. They use it to support other scripture such as "ye are gods" to imply anyone, other than God Almighty, will be gods to be worshipped. That's simply not the case. The danger, of course, would be man assuming the same thing Lucifer did in the past.

Anth said:
we either believe God is able to keep the Word and deliver it to the believer as He intends ...or not

Glory

You are marvelously idealistic....

With 4,962 independent "christian"denominations - it looks like this is not a concept that God is working with .... or 4,961 are somehow really missing boat... :)

LOL I call it faith. Will there be any faith found when Jesus returns? Let us hope.

researcher said:

It is true that we are part of God and not only in our spiritual bodies but now. That is why we are called the Body of Christ. Now, not later. If later, then we would have been told so, but not. We are now called the Body of Christ.

A son of God is a .................?
A son of a man is a ..................?

We are both. We have a body, that is called (like Jesus) son of man. And we have a spiritual man, (like Jesus) which is .......Christ.....Son of God........ God dwells in man.

Christians are not fully human anymore ,unlike their unsaved neighbors, who are .

Gal 2:20 I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I that live, but Christ living in me: and that life which I now live in the flesh I live in faith, the faith which is in the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself up for me.

Cornelius said:
glorydaz said:
The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of God and the Spirit of Christ. They are one God.

The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of the Father also called the Spirit of God. Surely we all know that God the Father has His own spirit and that spirit is holy: Holy Spirit. That Holy Spirit was not in Jesus until it descended upon Him when He was baptized, but I can assure you that Jesus walked in the spirit of Christ, before He was filled with the Spirit of His Father.

No, brother. The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of Christ and God. Notice the "supply" here.
Phil 1: 19-20 said:
For I know that this shall turn to my salvation through your prayer, and the supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ, According to my earnest expectation and my hope, that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but that with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ shall be magnified in my body, whether it be by life, or by death.
And then here. The Spirit of Christ which was in them...when IT testified ....
1 Peter 1:11-12 said:
Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow.
We have Christ IN us...that would be the Holy Spirit.
Colossians 1:27 said:
To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:

researcher said:

No......are you a non-tritarian, too researcher?
I glorified you on earth, having accomplished the work that you gave me to do. 5 And now, Father, glorify me in your own presence with the glory that I had with you before the world existed. (John 17:4,5)

Go ye therefore, and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them into the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit (Matthew 28:19)

Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. (Genesis 1:26)

Then the LORD God said, "Behold, the man has become like one of us in knowing good and evil. (Genesis 3:22)

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made. 14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us (John 1:1-3,14)

In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him. (1 John 4:9)

Cornelius said:
It is true that we are part of God and not only in our spiritual bodies but now. That is why we are called the Body of Christ. Now, not later. If later, then we would have been told so, but not. We are now called the Body of Christ.

He is in us now, yet we still have your flesh bodies, so this is not manifested yet, is it?

Cornelius said:
Rom 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you. But if any man hath not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. And if Christ is in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the spirit is life because of righteousness. But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwelleth in you, he that raised up Christ Jesus from the dead shall give life also to your mortal bodies through his Spirit that dwelleth in you. So then, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh: for if ye live after the flesh, ye must die; but if by the Spirit ye put to death the deeds of the body, ye shall live. For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God. For ye received not the spirit of bondage again unto fear; but ye received the spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. The Spirit himself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are children of God: and if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified with him. For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed to us-ward. For the earnest expectation of the creation waiteth for the revealing of the sons of God.

i am trying to grasp what you are saying C, with the verse above it seems what you are saying is correct, yet the last sentence, which i have hi-lighted, seems it is not manifested yet. can you please help me see what i am missing? thanks.

DarcyLu said:
researcher said:

No......are you a non-tritarian, too researcher?

Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. (Genesis 1:26)

Then the LORD God said, "Behold, the man has become like one of us in knowing good and evil. (Genesis 3:22)

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made. 14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us (John 1:1-3,14)

In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him. (1 John 4:9)

I see three. The Father, The Spirit, and Jesus the Son (the man whom the Spirit was in)

DarcyLu said:
Cornelius said:
Rom 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you. But if any man hath not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. And if Christ is in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the spirit is life because of righteousness. But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwelleth in you, he that raised up Christ Jesus from the dead shall give life also to your mortal bodies through his Spirit that dwelleth in you. So then, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh: for if ye live after the flesh, ye must die; but if by the Spirit ye put to death the deeds of the body, ye shall live. For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God. For ye received not the spirit of bondage again unto fear; but ye received the spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. The Spirit himself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are children of God: and if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified with him. For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed to us-ward. For the earnest expectation of the creation waiteth for the revealing of the sons of God.

i am trying to grasp what you are saying C, with the verse above it seems what you are saying is correct, yet the last sentence, which i have hi-lighted, seems it is not manifested yet. can you please help me see what i am missing? thanks.

That is correct:) The sons of God is not manifested yet. But they will be manifested before the end comes. They will be sons of God in this life according to the Bible.
Sons of God is another way of saying " Christ manifested" in us. That is why we are called HIS BODY. We are indeed His Body. And we all know that the person who's body it is, lives IN that body (or it will not be called his body :yes )

Not manifested yet, does not mean that we cannot believe we are so. The Bible is full of teaching that tells us that indeed God dwells in us now already.

Have a look here, where Jesus speaks of this event in John 16 . Read this carefully and see that He is answering them when they ask about His return . Notice His answer is the similar to Revelation 12 (the woman on the moon) because He is in reality talking about the same event here . This future event is called the manifestation of the sons of God, the manifestation of Christ in us, the coming of the man child etc.

Notice Jesus is saying His coming is like a woman giving birth. Just like the woman in Revelation 12.The church (all true believers) is like a woman, who is pregnant with the Seed (Word/Christ) and she will bring forth a child, .....Christ in us , the hope of glory.

Jhn 16:17 [Some] of his disciples therefore said one to another, What is this that he saith unto us, A little while, and ye behold me not; and again a little while, and ye shall see me: and, Because I go to the Father?

Jhn 16:18 They said therefore, What is this that he saith, A little while? We know not what he saith.

Jhn 16:19 Jesus perceived that they were desirous to ask him, and he said unto them, Do ye inquire among yourselves concerning this, that I said, A little while, and ye behold me not, and again a little while, and ye shall see me?

Jhn 16:20 Verily, verily, I say unto you, that ye shall weep and lament, but the world shall rejoice: ye shall be sorrowful, but your sorrow shall be turned into joy.

Jhn 16:21 A woman when she is in travail hath sorrow, because her hour is come: but when she is delivered of the child, she remembereth no more the anguish, for the joy that a man is born into the world.

Jhn 16:22 And ye therefore now have sorrow: but I will see you again, and your heart shall rejoice, and your joy no one taketh away from you.

:)

Can you see the man child and woman are all mentioned here ?

Jhn 16:21 A woman when she is in travail hath sorrow, because her hour is come: but when she is delivered of the child, she remembereth no more the anguish, for the joy that a man is born into the world.

And its the same as Revelation 12 !
Rev 12:2 and she was the child; and she crieth out, travailing in birth, and in pain to be delivered.Rev 12:5 And she was delivered of a son, a man child,

Jesus links the church with the woman by saying they both have sorrow :

Jhn 16:22 And ye (ALL BELIEVERS) therefore now have sorrow: but I will see you again, and your heart shall rejoice, and your joy no one taketh away from you.

Jesus is saying, that we have sorrow when we are in this world, because we die to self (follow Him to the cross) so that Christ can indeed be formed in us. But when the end time comes, there will be a manifestation of the Word in us. Then our sorrow will turn to joy, because we will be like Him.

Cornelius said:
Jesus links the church with the woman by saying they both have sorrow :

Jhn 16:22 And ye (ALL BELIEVERS) therefore now have sorrow: but I will see you again, and your heart shall rejoice, and your joy no one taketh away from you.

Jesus is saying, that we have sorrow when we are in this world, because we die to self (follow Him to the cross) so that Christ can indeed be formed in us. But when the end time comes, there will be a manifestation of the Word in us. Then our sorrow will turn to joy, because we will be like Him.
thanks for your answers, most people believe Jesus refers to his death and resurrection in these verses, yet i do see the connection here with the man-child in Revelation.

Cornelius said:
:)

Can you see the man child and woman are all mentioned here ?

And its the same as Revelation 12 !
Rev 12:2 and she was the child; and she crieth out, travailing in birth, and in pain to be delivered.Rev 12:5 And she was delivered of a son, a man child,

again in Revelation, we can agree Jesus is the Man-Child, yet this can not be of His flesh birth as John tells us these things are yet to come. there is an OT scripture, which i believe, talks about this time and how the "church" will go into the wilderness and be taken care of and taught. i can find the verse if need be, this reminds of that scripture as i believe it is refering to the same.

and here it is again, this section of Isaiah 66 is quit long, but it continues on describing things to come until it talks about the new heaven and new earth, this has to be the same as John speaks of in Revelation?

Isaiah 66 5 Before she travailed, she brought forth; before her pain came, she was delivered of a man-child. Who hath heard such a thing? who hath seen such things? Shall a land be born in one day? shall a nation be brought forth at once? for as soon as Zion travailed, she brought forth her children.

The Father is God, the Son is God and the Holy Ghost is God. God is the Father, God is the Son and God is the Holy Ghost. The Father is not the Son, the Son is not the Father, the Father is not the Holy Ghost, the Holy Ghost is not the Father, the Son is not the Holy Ghost and the Holy Ghost is not the Son.

That's how I always understood the matter, though it's quite hard to wrap your head around at times :)!

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back