Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Is the Ten Commandment Abolished?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
You also neglected to explain what James mean when he said this:

14What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?

15If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,

16And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?

17Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.

18Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.

19Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

20But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

Or perhaps what Paul meant?

(For not the hearers of the law [are] just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.

Yes "The just shall live by faith." But who are the Just? "Not the hearers but the doers"

Perhaps you can explain what Jesus meant?

Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach [them], the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

My arguments are not my own. My words are not my own. I only parrot the word of God.

First of all, I was not aware that we were talking about your 8 year old son. Maybe you haven't realized it, but your level of maturity and understanding should be somewhat higher than his. I don't ask 8 year olds to understand all the details of what the Old Testament says, but I do expect more from adults than from children.

Um....excuse me....are there different rules for the salvation of adults and children? Does an adult need to read the OT to understand Jesus but a child doesnt?

Are we saved by FREE Grace or not?

Secondly, what about my other point? I notice that you don't address it at all. Do you feel that you are qualified to teach the rest of us about what our views of the Old Testament should be, when you don't even know what it says? Should you not read it so that you at least know what you are condemning and why?

Yes I am qualified. Because I am clear on my path to salvation. You are confused. You know why? Because Jesus Christ dying on the cross wasn't enough for you was it? Did you get bored of it? You need to add things to it?

We're not under the law anymore pal. It's very easy and simple. For child and adult alike (Well...obviously for some adults not)

What part of Romans 6:14 do you not understand?

6:14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

Are you so into the OT that you forgot to read the NT?

Did Christ on the cross change nothing for you?

Yes. It is true that the basis of the faith, including the Gospel is easily understandable by children. That is not, however the case for the bulk of the scriptures. Think of Revelation and Daniel. "Let him who hath wisdom understand" Think of the learned men and pharisees who were not "babes" at all, but failed to ascertain the truth of the Word of God. 2nd Peter even proves that in his own day, people were failing to understand what Paul's doctrine was really saying as they assumed he preached lawlessness:

And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;

As also in all [his] epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as [they do] also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

Lastly, Hebrews speaks of what you are doing. Hebrews refers to it as "milk" rather than "strong meat" Milk is the elementaries of the faith; while strong meat is the harder wisdom which "spiritual babes" cannot digest.

Concerning him we have much to say, and it is hard to explain, since you have become dull of hearing. 12 For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you have need again for someone to teach you the elementary principles of the oracles of God, and you have come to need milk and not solid food. 13 For everyone who partakes only of milk is not accustomed to the word of righteousness, for he is a babe. 14 But solid food is for the mature, who because of practice have their senses trained to discern good and evil.

Yeah, I think Hebrews summarizes this discussion we have had pretty well.

No problem I'll explain this:::

14What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?

15If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,

16And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?

17Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.

18Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.

19Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

20But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

Notice it says SAY HE HATH FAITH. Anyone can say that. But how do we know our brethren for sure?? Any man who Loves God and and Loves Others will bring forth good fruit. Good works. That is how we know the believers from the non-believers. Good works follow faith effortlessly. Charity and good will always come when you follow Jesus' commandments

John 15:5
I am the vine, ye [are] the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

For not the hearers of the law [are] just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.
(talking about Jews)

Oops...you missed the very next verse which explains Pauls words perfectly::

2:14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the
things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law
unto themselves:

Kinda blows that out of the water dont it??​

Perhaps you can explain what Jesus meant?

Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach [them], the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Yes perhaps I can::: IN CONTEXT!

Jesus was countering the Pharisees corruption of Moses and the prophets AS USUAL. they had set themselves up as authorities over the Law, and had even taen to deciding which of God's laws were worthy, tossing some that weren't and adding others that were.they were guilty of teaching people i was okay to break some commandments. it's a entirely different context from not living up to Moses (which we can not do):

Mathhew 5
17Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. 18For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. 19Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

20For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Barnes' Notes on the Bible describes it with minimum fuss>>>

Whosoever therefore shall break - Shall violate or disobey.
One of these least commandments - The Pharisees, it is probable, divided the precepts of the law into lesser and greater, teaching that they who violated the former were guilty of a trivial offence only. See Matthew 23:23. Christ teaches that in his kingdom they who make this distinction, or who taught that any laws of God might be violated with impunity, should be called least; while they should be held in high regard who observed all the laws of God without distinction.

Shall be called least - That is, shall be least. See Matthew 5:9. The meaning of this passage seems to be this: in the kingdom of heaven, that is, in the kingdom of the Messiah, or in the church which he is about to establish (see the notes at Matthew 3:2), he that breaks the least of these commandments shall be in no esteem, or shall not be regarded as a proper religious teacher. The Pharisees, by dividing the law into greater and lesser precepts, made no small part of it void by their traditions and divisions, Matthew 23:23; Matthew 15:3-6. Jesus says that in his kingdom all this vain division and tradition would cease. Such divisions and distinctions would be a small matter. He that attempted it should be the least of all. People would be engaged in yielding obedience to all the law of God without any such vain distinctions.

Shall be called great - He that teaches that all the law of God is binding, and that the whole of it should be obeyed, without attempting to specify what is most important, shall be a teacher worthy of his office, and shall be called great.

Hows that?

Where is your list of all the Laws we need to keep Ashua?

Come on you want to teach us...List them for us....ALL of them.

Um....excuse me....are there different rules for the salvation of adults and children? Does an adult need to read the OT to understand Jesus but a child doesnt?

Are we saved by FREE Grace or not?

Yes I am qualified. Because I am clear on my path to salvation. You are confused. You know why? Because Jesus Christ dying on the cross wasn't enough for you was it? Did you get bored of it? You need to add things to it?

We're not under the law anymore pal. It's very easy and simple. For child and adult alike (Well...obviously for some adults not)

What part of Romans 6:14 do you not understand?

6:14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

Are you so into the OT that you forgot to read the NT?

Did Christ on the cross change nothing for you?

I didn't say there were different paths to salvation. I said that there were different levels of understanding. Knowing how to count to ten is enough, if all you want to do is count to ten. But if you want to be a math teacher, you have to know a bit more than that. If all you want to do is to be saved and nothing more, then you are right. It is enough to know that we are saved by grace through faith. But if you want to understand more, then you have to study more. If you want to fully understand what the Bible tells us, then you must study the the whole Bible, including the Old Testament. If you want to fully understand how God wants us to live, then you have to study the Law, since that's where He tells us how to live.

You say you are qualified, but I say you most definitely are not. You can only be qualified to teach what you yourself know. According to what you yourself have said, you have never even read the Old Testament. Since you don't know what it says, you are not qualified to teach about it. You should stop teaching things you don't know and study. Maybe you could even listen to what other people here have to say. Here's a good place for you to start:

And God spake all these words, saying,

I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;

And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:

But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.

Thou shalt not kill.

Thou shalt not commit adultery.

Thou shalt not steal.

Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.

(Exodus 20:1-17 KJV)​

Those are the Ten Commandments. Which of them have been abolished in your opinion?

Oops...you missed the very next verse which explains Pauls words perfectly::

2:14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the
things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law
unto themselves:

Kinda blows that out of the water dont it??

Lol.

Yes, lets look at the whole context, starting with the next verse.

Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another; )

16In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.

17Behold, thou art called a Jew, and restest in the law, and makest thy boast of God,

18And knowest his will, and approvest the things that are more excellent, being instructed out of the law;

19And art confident that thou thyself art a guide of the blind, a light of them which are in darkness,

20An instructor of the foolish, a teacher of babes, which hast the form of knowledge and of the truth in the law.

21Thou therefore which teachest another, teachest thou not thyself? thou that preachest a man should not steal, dost thou steal?

22Thou that sayest a man should not commit adultery, dost thou commit adultery? thou that abhorrest idols, dost thou commit sacrilege?

23Thou that makest thy boast of the law, through breaking the law dishonourest thou God?

24For the name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles through you, as it is written.

25For circumcision verily profiteth, if thou keep the law: but if thou be a breaker of the law, thy circumcision is made uncircumcision.

26Therefore if the uncircumcision keep the righteousness of the law, shall not his uncircumcision be counted for circumcision?

27And shall not uncircumcision which is by nature, if it fulfil the law, judge thee, who by the letter and circumcision dost transgress the law?

28For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh:

29But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.

So to paraphrase:

Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, --This is the New Covenant

Behold, thou art called a Jew, and restest in the law, and makest thy boast of God,

And knowest his will, and approvest the things that are more excellent, being instructed out of the law;
So Jews who know the law according to Paul also "know his will and approve the things that are more execellent being instructed out of the law."

For circumcision verily profiteth, if thou keep the law: Yes. It is a blessing to be circumcised IF you keep the law. If you do not keep it, circumcision is vain.

You want to really see the context? Yeah?

In Romans, Paul is doing an exegesis of Jeremiah chapter 31.

But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

This is what is meant when he says when gentiles do by NATURE the things CONTAINED IN THE LAW, these having no LAW become a LAW unto themselves showing the work of the law written in their hearts

Yes, the Old testament prophesied the New testament as believers having God's LAW written into their hearts that they might do it not in the deadness formal obligation, but in a spirit of gladness. Paul only quoted Jeremiah.

Now THAT
kinda blows that out of the water dont it??

Now, pay attention to this part:

Compare this verse in Deuteronomy to the following verse in Galatians. Notice that 1st John supplies us with a biblical definition of sin; while Romans tells us what the penalty of sin is:

I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, [that] I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:

Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:

Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

For the wages of sin [is] death; but the gift of God [is] eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

So we have established the following:

1.) The Law contains a recompense of both life blessings on one hand, and death and cursings other the other.
2.) Sin is transgression of the Law.
3.) The wages of sin is death
4.) Christ has redeemed us from the CURSE of the Law, being made a curse for us.
5.) the Curse of the Law has been canceled out of the equation. Because Christ has paid it himself.
6.)Therefore only blessings remain as a reward for obedience to his Holy Commandments.

So, logically from that; we can conclude mathematically:

(Blessing+Life) - (cursings - death) =

simplifies to:

Blessing + Life

Christ took away the penalties for breaking God's Law. What remains is Life and blessings for keeping his covenant in the newness of spirit after a glad heart. David called the Law of the LORD a delight.

Christ never took away blessings for a reward EARNED to covenant keepers. Salvation is not of works; but there will be heavenly rewards. Make sense?

Last edited by a moderator:
i dont think some here (myself at times) are all that mature. fyi most of these debates arent on the real meaty stuff in the bible but basics

such as:
who's jesus
eternal security
then ot law

Sorry Jason. I had to post again. I see people here arguing, and they are obviously not new to church or the bible. I think , however, that they really do miss what Jesus did. He fulfilled the law. Instead of arguing what is or isn't allowed under the law I believe people need to put aside their egos and try to determine just what it means when Jesus says He fulfilled the law.

By fulfilling the law Jesus took any authority away from Satan as the ruler of the Earth. He took any authority away from men and the institutions they construct to rule men's lives. He gave us a direct path to Heaven and He became our advocate, taking our petitions directly before God.
Jesus simplified the law so that none could lay claim to more understanding than others but we see here that people still try to claim superior understanding.
I see a lack of truthfulness here. Being truthful with ones self is painful but it is also painful for me to witness people arguing using falsehoods, omissions and downright deceptions in their arguments. If one wishes to believe a thing, fine, just don't present it as unchallengable truth.
One thing I know is true and I dare anyone to argue with is this:

37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38 This is the first and great acommandment.
39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt alove thy neighbour as thyself.
40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

I think it would be best to understand this before we argue about what is and isn't allowed. David ate the bread out of the Ark when he and his men were hungry. That was not allowed but suddenly God allowed it. Why? The answer is contained above.

Sorry Jason. I had to post again. I see people here arguing, and they are obviously not new to church or the bible. I think , however, that they really do miss what Jesus did. He fulfilled the law. Instead of arguing what is or isn't allowed under the law I believe people need to put aside their egos and try to determine just what it means when Jesus says He fulfilled the law.

By fulfilling the law Jesus took any authority away from Satan as the ruler of the Earth. He took any authority away from men and the institutions they construct to rule men's lives. He gave us a direct path to Heaven and He became our advocate, taking our petitions directly before God.
Jesus simplified the law so that none could lay claim to more understanding than others but we see here that people still try to claim superior understanding.
I see a lack of truthfulness here. Being truthful with ones self is painful but it is also painful for me to witness people arguing using falsehoods, omissions and downright deceptions in their arguments. If one wishes to believe a thing, fine, just don't present it as unchallengable truth.
One thing I know is true and I dare anyone to argue with is this:

37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38 This is the first and great acommandment.
39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt alove thy neighbour as thyself.
40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

I think it would be best to understand this before we argue about what is and isn't allowed. David ate the bread out of the Ark when he and his men were hungry. That was not allowed but suddenly God allowed it. Why? The answer is contained above.

WOW! Someone else who wants to follow the simple truth of Jesus!

We're a dying breed Walter. Great post sir.

Everybody now...1....2....3......JESUS!!

The written OT law is gone forever.

Christians dont even need to know what the ten commandments are!

We have Jesus Christ now.
I am inclined to agree with this statement, but think its needs to be nuanced.

The Old Testament is full of prophecies about a time when the "law" will be written on the hearts of the people of God. I suggest that it is clear, not least from Romans 8 and Romans 10, that Paul sees the role of the Holy Spirit as being the "means" by which the law is indeed written on the heart of the believer. So, indeed, we no longer should need a written code if the law has indeed been written on our hearts.

Besides, Paul clearly speaks of the abolition of the "written code" in several of his letters.

But lest there be any misunderstanding - no one, least of all me, is suggesting that its "OK" to murder and commit adultery. The fact that the 10 commandments, as an externalized written code prescribing behaviour has been "abolished" does not, of course, mean that the Spirit will "lead us" into behaviours that in any way violate the 10 commandments.

But I think it is manifestly wrong to argue "how will we know that its not OK to commit adultery without the 10 commandments"? Surely, we should believe that the prompting of the Spirit will direct us away from such behaviour.

The Old Testament is full of prophecies about a time when the "law" will be written on the hearts of the people of God. I suggest that it is clear, not least from Romans 8 and Romans 10, that Paul sees the role of the Holy Spirit as being the "means" by which the law is indeed written on the heart of the believer. So, indeed, we no longer should need a written code if the law has indeed been written on our hearts.

Besides, Paul clearly speaks of the abolition of the "written code" in several of his letters.

But lest there be any misunderstanding - no one, least of all me, is suggesting that its "OK" to murder and commit adultery. The fact that the 10 commandments, as an externalized written code prescribing behaviour has been "abolished" does not, of course, mean that the Spirit will "lead us" into behaviours that in any way violate the 10 commandments.

But I think it is manifestly wrong to argue "how will we know that its not OK to commit adultery without the 10 commandments"? Surely, we should believe that the prompting of the Spirit will direct us away from such behaviour.

If you don't know where you've been you can't know where you're going.

There is much, much revelation in the Ten Commandments and the law. Understanding how we got here is essential.

Oh HOORAY DREW!!! Supreme post!

Thats another one for Jesus and the Cross!

Who else wants to step forward?

Who else is with us? Who else wants to purge this leaven that is seeping incideously into the Church?

There is much, much revelation in the Ten Commandments and the law. Understanding how we got here is essential.

Oops...I thought you were with us Walt.

Essential for what?

Jews were never saved by following the Law. They were saved by grace through faith, just like we are
I am not sure who is disagreeing with you on this particular assertion, but I believe you are entirely correct - the Jew followed the law as a response of gratitude, informed by his belief that he was "saved" on other grounds.

We need to avoid anachronism. And the anachronism here is to retroject 17th (or whenever the reformation took place) debates back into the first century. Yes, the reformers were right to "correct" the idea that one could attain salvation by one's own "good works". And yes, that particular "salvation by works" position was believed by many.

But that does not mean it was believed by Jews 2000 years earlier. I have read compelling arguments that there is little evidence to support the belief that Jews followed the Law of Moses to "get saved". In fact, when Paul writes against "justification by works of the Law", he is not critiquing the Jew who thinks he can be saved by doing the works of the Law of Moses, he is critiquing the Jew who thinks that the Law functions as an ethnic delimiter which indicates that only Jews can be saved.

I am not sure what your specific argument is here. If the law really is written on the heart, as Paul affirms, and if, as Paul also affirms:

But now, by dying to what once bound us, we have been released from the law so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code.

....then I really do think we need to accept that the written code is no longer the authoritative source for our actions. It is instead the Holy Spirit, living in each believer. Why do we need a written code if we have the Spirit?

Again, I am not "dissing" the 10 commandments - they come from God. But the story is what it is - the covenant was brought to its fulfillment on the cross and the Law of Moses is no longer needed now that God has initiated His new creation.

Why do we need a written code if we have the Spirit?

Isn't it puzzling Drew how so many people just dont get this?

GAL 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering,
gentleness, goodness, faith, 5:23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

You are referring to Colossians 2:14:

Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

This verse actually could be rendered:

Blotting out the [criminal] record of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

In other words: Christ expunged our records. He didn't throw the judicial code in the trash; only pardoned us.

The word translated as "Handwriting" is:

χειρόγραφον
cheirographon

1) a handwriting, what one has written by his own hand

2) a note of hand or writing in which one acknowledges that money has either been deposited with him or lent to him by another, to be returned at the appointed time

This is a word that goes along with the theme of 'imputed righteousness'.

You don't have to take my word for it alone, though.

He canceled the record that contained the charges against us. He took it and destroyed it by nailing it to Christ's cross. -New Living Translation

by canceling the record of debt that stood against us with its legal demands. This he set aside, nailing it to the cross. -English Standard Version

having canceled out the certificate of debt consisting of decrees against us, which was hostile to us; and He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross. -New American Standard Bible

having canceled the bond which stood against us with its legal demands; this he set aside, nailing it to the cross. -Revised Standard Version

Quick qestion for ya all,

What "law" is being spoken about here?

Jer 31:31 “Indeed, a time is coming,” says the Lord, “when I will make a new covenant with the people of Israel and Judah. 31:32 It will not be like the old covenant that I made with their ancestors when I delivered them from Egypt. For they violated that covenant, even though I was like a faithful husband to them,” says the Lord. 31:33 “But I will make a new covenant with the whole nation of Israel after I plant them back in the land,” says the Lord. “I will put my law within them and write it on their hearts and minds. I will be their God and they will be my people.

We are not under the law which was written upon stones. I would suggest that God's law is now written on our heart. I believe Eziekel touches on this.

For where as the first law caught the ones it was to save worshipping a golden calf and thus instead of granting life, condemned those who recieved it... the law written within us did not come to condemn us, but to save us (John 3:17).

The law written on stone was God's Law, and now he puts His law within us... for His Law is written in our hearts and in our minds, and we put flesh to God's law by our strength by way of the things we do.

Grace and Peace.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick qestion for ya all,

What "law" is being spoken about here?

Jer 31:31 “Indeed, a time is coming,†says the Lord, “when I will make a new covenant with the people of Israel and Judah. 31:32 It will not be like the old covenant that I made with their ancestors when I delivered them from Egypt. For they violated that covenant, even though I was like a faithful husband to them,†says the Lord. 31:33 “But I will make a new covenant with the whole nation of Israel after I plant them back in the land,†says the Lord. “I will put my law within them and write it on their hearts and minds. I will be their God and they will be my people.

We are not under the law which was written upon stones. I would suggest that God's law is now written on our heart.

For where as the first law caught the ones it was to save worshipping a golden calf and thus instead of granting life, condemned those who recieved it... the law written within us did not come to condemn us, but to save us (John 3:17).

The law written on stone was God's Law, and now he puts His law within us... for His Law is written in our hearts and in our minds, and we put flesh to God's law by our strength in the things we do, the words we say and the looks we give.

Grace and Peace.

Hooray! Theres another one for Christ Jesus!

No confusion there. The spirit leads into rightousness. So simple even a child knows what to do.

"Daddy...I want to go to Heaven"

"Love Jesus and Love others son"

"Is that it dad?, it sounds so simple"

"Thats right Johnny....Christ made it easy for us. And its FREE. You dont have to work for His Grace"

"Awwwww....does that mean I dont have to spend years studying and following ancient Jewish law in the Old Testament??...drat"

"Yup....why dont you go ahead and play ball with the other kids...and play nice son. Remember Christs two commandments are written on your heart."

Who else wants to step forward and be in one mind with us in Jesus? Who's next?

What Bible version are you quoting from? Mine has:

For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. (John. 3:17 NIV)​

Strangelove,

Paul states clearly in Romans 7:12 So then, the law is holy, and the commandment is holy, righteous, and good.

What I would like to add, is that very little content of God's law has been modified between the two covenants and certainly the intent of God's law has not changed. I believe the difference between the two are mainly where God placed His law. God's law is no longer written on tablets of stone, no, it is now written on hearts of flesh.

While we are no longer under the law written on stone, the law, as Paul put it is till, "Holy, righteous, and good."

This is what I love about the book of Hebrews. It takes something that is good, and with Jesus, it's just plain better.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back