Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

John MacArthur: Distinguished Calvinist Preacher.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Follow up

Here is the entire book online PDF

Please look at the Table Of Contents. Very informative.

Best

JAG

[]
Follow up

Here is the entire book online PDF

Please look at the Table Of Contents. Very informative.

Best

JAG

[]

Thank you for your thoughtful post.

I would rather discuss these things first hand with you.

I want to see what you yourself believe.

Im a scripture person and desire to discuss the words of scripture, rather than a persons Theology.

God has from all eternity predestined whatsoever comes to pass

Based on your statement above..

One question I have is —

Did God predestine that Adam should sin?

Could you present a passage of scripture that says…

I hope to discover some new things about Calvinism that I never knew.

One question I have is —

JLB

Thank you for your thoughtful post.

I would rather discuss these things first hand with you.

I want to see what you yourself believe.

Im a scripture person and desire to discuss the words of scripture, rather than a persons Theology.

Based on your statement above..

One question I have is —

Thank you for reading my post and for your interest in
what I had to say.

I have been on the worldwide web a very long time and
I have been down this road many times and I already know
where this road leads:

It leads to me being put into the defensive position where I have to
do research and formulate coherent answers to questions.

He who gets to ask the questions takes the offensive position
and he who must dig up answers to the questions is automatically
put on defense.

My view: If you are sincerely interested in coming to understand the
Calvinistic Theological System then you will invest less than $20.00
in getting the book I recommended -- or you can read it free online.

Best wishes.

JAG

[]

Thank you for reading my post and for your interest in
what I had to say.

I have been on the worldwide web a very long time and
I have been down this road many times and I already know
where this road leads:

It leads to me being put into the defensive position where I have to
do research and formulate coherent answers to questions.

He who gets to ask the questions takes the offensive position
and he who must dig up answers to the questions is automatically
put on defense.

My view: If you are sincerely interested in coming to understand the
Calvinistic Theological System then you will invest less than $20.00
in getting the book I recommended -- or you can read it free online.

Best wishes.

JAG

[]

Ok. If you are not wanting to answer my question, thats ok.

Maybe if you could tell me what the man who wrote the book believes...how he would answer my question?

God has from all eternity predestined whatsoever comes to pass

Based on the above statement how would Dr. Loraine Boettner answer the following question, based on your understanding of his book?

JLB

Ok. If you are not wanting to answer my question, thats ok.

Maybe if you could tell me what the man who wrote the book believes...how he would answer my question?

Based on the above statement how would Dr. Loraine Boettner answer the following question, based on your understanding of his book?

JLB
My friend, if you are sincere in wanting to understand the
Calvinistic Theological System you will buy the book and
read it.

Best

JAG

[]

My friend, if you are sincere in wanting to understand the
Calvinistic Theological System you will buy the book and
read it.

Best

JAG

[]

Ok Thanks for your time.

I only am interested in what you and other individuals believe and understand from the scriptures, not from other peoples books, or other peoples Systematic Theology.

If you dont want to bother with discussing the scriptures or answer a question that comes from your own statement, then so be it.

Thanks again for your time.

Ok Thanks for your time.

I only am interested in what you and other individuals believe and understand from the scriptures, not from other peoples books, or other peoples Systematic Theology.

If you dont want to bother with discussing the scriptures or answer a question that comes from your own statement, then so be it.

Thanks again for your time.
May I ask why you are not interested in books ny theologians and pastors who teach and study Gods word.

I mean if they are drawing their Theology from the Bible, what is the difference. We do the same thing.

Grace and peace to you

May I ask why you are not interested in books ny theologians and pastors who teach and study Gods word.

I mean if they are drawing their Theology from the Bible, what is the difference. We do the same thing.

Grace and peace to you

Because they are the teachings of man.

Jesus said it this way —

If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed.

Then Jesus said to those Jews who believed Him, “If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:31-32

again

Whoever transgresses and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ has both the Father and the Son. 2 John 9

Now that I have answered your question with scripture, would you answer my question?

Why are most Calvinist’s not interested in discussing scripture?

JLB

Because they are the teachings of man.

Jesus said it this way —

If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed.

Then Jesus said to those Jews who believed Him, “If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:31-32

again

Whoever transgresses and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ has both the Father and the Son. 2 John 9

Now that I have answered your question with scripture, would you answer my question?

Why are most Calvinist’s not interested in discussing scripture?

JLB
So, when you are explaining the Scriptures to someone, are you not teaching others what you believe the Bible teaches?

That is the same thing as the books and commentaries. I rely on the Bible and these men of God, because the Lord put them in their place to teach and Shepherd.

I do not label myself a Calvinist and definitely use scripture in discussions.

All those of the Reformed faith on this forum, use Scripture as well from what I have been reading.

Grace and peace to you.

I am not sure you are stating this position accurately.
Penal substitutionary atonement is biblical.
No it isn't,

In those days they shall say no more, The fathers have eaten a sour grape, and the children's teeth are set on edge. But every one shall die for his own iniquity: every man that eateth the sour grape, his teeth shall be set on edge.
Jer.31:29-30

The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin. Deu.24:16

So when scripture says, "Jesus died for sins", or, "Jesus put an end to the law", it means he chose not to call the law into witness against those who were sinning against him. Doesn't that make more sense? Don't you agree that using our Lord as a punching bag was sin?

So, when you are explaining the Scriptures to someone, are you not teaching others what you believe the Bible teaches?
I don’t explain the scriptures.

I post what the scriptures say, and emphasize the actual words of scripture by using a bullet point.

I state what the scripture itself says.

Example:

Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us. 1 John 3:24

• he who keeps His commandments abides in Him

The way we are instructed to remain in Christ, is by keeping His commandments.

JLB

That is the same thing as the books and commentaries. I rely on the Bible and these men of God, because the Lord put them in their place to teach and Shepherd.

I do not label myself a Calvinist and definitely use scripture in discussions.

All those of the Reformed faith on this forum, use Scripture as well from what I have been reading.

Grace and peace to you.
I guess the bible should just be an audio one ,no one pastor teaches it .

Just all of us sit and listen .

Do you believe Jesus baptizes His people with the Holy Spirit?
At the time of regeneration, baptized in Christ and baptized in the Holy Spirit is the same thing.

There is no second baptism.
I guess the bible should just be an audio one ,no one pastor teaches it .

Just all of us sit and listen .
Agreed.

Last edited:
In other words jlb isn't actually able to teach or do apologetics .I'm not called either to teach but I can see that one isn't .

I can crudely explain why I believe this or that .

Unlike my pastor or elders who are called to . Some are better then others at it. I would prefer to be silently helping and unseen .I don't need to be seen doing a work .

Pastor needs a plumber ,etc I can see of I can help .

I don’t explain the scriptures.

I post what the scriptures say, and emphasize the actual words of scripture by using a bullet point.

I state what the scripture itself says.

Example:

Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us. 1 John 3:24

• he who keeps His commandments abides in Him

The way we are instructed to remain in Christ, is by keeping His commandments.

JLB
How do you understand the more challenging scriptures?

How do you know why any of the books of the Bible were written, what was going on at the time of writing (background and history)?

Grace and peace to you.

In other words jlb isn't actually able to teach or do apologetics .I'm not called either to teach but I can see that one isn't .

I can crudely explain why I believe this or that .

Unlike my pastor or elders who are called to . Some are better then others at it. I would prefer to be silently helping and unseen .I don't need to be seen doing a work .

Pastor needs a plumber ,etc I can see of I can help .
You are correct.

Grace and peace to you.

The problem of saying the Holy Ghost taught me is well most pentacostals believe that an elder can be a female when Paul says he must be a man of one wife ,one able to rule his house .

One apt to teach.its not some cultural thing on that as through out that and what standard of character is there ?

Never mind the often diverse findings on the Bible .

One church says you can pray loudly In the Spirit in service and other says no that without interpretation is for the home .

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back