Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

OSAS is biblical truth.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
George, what are we dealing with here........... His salvation was secure by the destroying of the flesh?
That is not what the scriptures says. there is no "might or maybe" in the passage and the destruction of the flesh is the flesh, for no one is saved in the flesh. The saving of the spirit is just that, for all are saved in the Spirit. And you are the one who assumes this is to save this man, as if he could be saved and lost and then saved again? The scriptures make the reason for the correction not to "save" him, but for the correction of the church body and to purge such things from the body. Only in your mind is this mans salvation in question, for the scriptures make the very point that his spirit is to be saved, even though he is to be judged in the flesh. This is not the way of salvation, salvation is not being stricken by satan, but being made whole by Christ. One would have to ignore the gospel to accept your understanding.

Let me post again, the points I made before;
Well that is based upon your own opinion. First correction was brought to keep this sort of thing from the Church body, to bring correction to the group as Paul states in the same epistle and in the second epistle. There is no condition of repentance mentioned, but the saving of the spirit is stated as a fact, without condition or any words that put condition on the statement. This condition is your own reading and based upon your own opinion. In the context of Pauls gospel, it is not possible that this man could be condemned in spirit, but the flesh is the issue of judgment. As with all believers. Your reference to satan just killing us to make us saved, is a mystery to me as to your point? The man was already saved and one cannot be saved again and again? One is saved and sealed with the Holy Spirit and the Spirit cannot be lost. Those who defile the temple will suffer in the flesh, but the spirit is not lost, and this is the point Paul is making.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had he not repented, It would have been Hell for him,
You are just adding your own religious and legalistic traditions to Gods Word. Paul said he was saved, and added no conditions.

1Co 5:5 To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

Here Paul makes the same point in this same epistle:

1Co 3:15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.
16 ¶ Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
17 If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy;
for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.

He is saying the same thing, and adds no repentance, although it is sure the fire will bring a purity.

No George, it doesn't.

You have never done this yourself, nor have you ever witnessed anyone who has.

JLB
Well I can give you Andrew Wommacks testimony, and Smith Wigglesworth and a few others I can think of. But it seems to be rare that God grants this sort of power, but its very real. Just as the scriptures say.
I think you're exaggerating what it means to be turned over to satan.

All it means is being turned over to your sin and enduring the just penalty for doing so. Nobody needs a special power to excommunicate a person from the fellowship and let them indulge their sin to their own destruction.
Well Paul had it, and its seen in the scriptures and every true Shepherd of Christ has a spiritual rod, with which to restrain the flock and to beat the wolves. If you have not seen such Men of God, I suggest to you that they are very real.

George, what are we dealing with here........... His salvation was secure by the destroying of the flesh?
Yes that is what the scriptures says, there is not "might or maybe" and the destruction of the flesh is the flesh, for no one is saved in the flesh. The saving of the spirit is just that for all are saved in the Spirit. And you are the one who assumes this is to save this man, as if he could be saved and lost and then saved again? The scriptures make the reason for the correction not to "save" him, but for the correction of the church body and to purge such things from the body. Only in your mind is this mans salvation in question, for the scriptures make the very point that his spirit is to be saved, even though he is to be judged in the flesh. This is not to way of salvation, salvation is not being stricken by satan, but being made whole by Christ. One would have to ignore the gospel to accept your understanding.

Well that is based upon your own opinion. First correction was brought to keep this sort of thing from the Church body, to bring correction to the group as Paul states in the same epistle and in the second epistle. There is no condition of repentance mentioned, but the saving of the spirit is stated as a fact, without condition or any words that put condition on the statement. This condition is your own reading and based upon your own opinion. In the context of Pauls gospel, it is not possible that this man could be condemned in spirit, but the flesh is the issue of judgment. As with all believers. Your reference to satan just killing us to make us saved, is a mystery to me as to your point? The man was already saved and one cannot be saved again and again? One is saved and sealed with the Holy Spirit and the Spirit cannot be lost. Those who defile the temple will suffer in the flesh, but the spirit is not lost, and this is the point Paul is making.

You're not answering the question.

Why does the man have to be turned over to satan for the destruction of the body in order for his spirit to be saved--the spirit you say is already saved?

No George, it doesn't.

JLB
Well I can give you Andrew Wommacks testimony, and Smith Wigglesworth and a few others I can think of. But it seems to be rare that God grants this sort of power, but its very real. Just as the scriptures say.

I believe it's real. I believe what Paul said and did.

What I don't believe is you have this, or have ever seen it done.

JLB
Well, really who cares what "you" believe? You made the claim that it does not happen, I told you it does (just as the scriptures describe) some don't believe in the baptism of the Holy Spirit or the gifts of the Spirit, that does not change the truth. Now why should I care what "you" believe?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes that is what the scriptures says, there is not "might or maybe" and the destruction of the flesh is the flesh, for no one is saved in the flesh. The saving of the spirit is just that for all are saved in the Spirit. And you are the one who assumes this is to save this man, as if he could be saved and lost and then saved again? The scriptures make the reason for the correction not to "save" him, but for the correction of the church body and to purge such things from the body. Only in your mind is this mans salvation in question, for the scriptures make the very point that his spirit is to be saved, even though he is to be judged in the flesh. This is not to way of salvation, salvation is not being stricken by satan, but being made whole by Christ. One would have to ignore the gospel to accept your understanding.

Why does the man have to be turned over to satan for the destruction of the body in order for his spirit to be saved--the spirit you say is already saved?
Well you assume that the destruction of the flesh is to save the spirit, the scriptures do not say that, nor is that the intention of the scripture. Paul was bring correction to the Church body, "purging out the leven" As all correction from God, works for our good, this man was corrected, he was never "unsaved" and then saved again through this process.

You are just adding your own religious and legalistic traditions to Gods Word. Paul said he was saved, and added no conditions.

1Co 5:5 To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

1Co 3:15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.
16 ¶ Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
17 If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy;
for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.

He is saying the same thing, and adds no repentance, although it is sure the fire will bring a purity.
This interpretation of 1 Corinthians 3 defies the context of the passage.

The work being potentially burned up, and as a result not being present in heaven with the laborer to bring reward to him, is the harvest of God's fields, and the successful construction of God's building. Read it.

What reward is there for laboring but not having a harvest of wheat, or rooms added to the building of God because of negligence, sloth, or teaching a gospel that can not save a person but which actually tears down the building of God? None of course. That's Paul's point. It's his defense for the legitimacy of his ministry, as opposed to the false ministry of those who were competing against him for their devotion.

Well you assume that the destruction of the flesh is to save the spirit, the scriptures do not say that, nor is that the intention of the scripture. Paul was bring correction to the Church body, "purging out the leven" As all correction from God, works for our good, this man was corrected, he was never "unsaved" and then saved again through this process.

To deliver [G3860] (5629) such an one [G5108] unto Satan [G4567] for [G1519] the destruction [G3639] of the flesh [G4561], that [G2443] the spirit [G4151] may be saved [G4982] (5686) in [G1722] the day [G2250] of the Lord [G2962] Jesus [G2424]. (1 Corinthians 5:5 KJV)

(Tim Greenwood Ministries online concordance @ tgm.org)

But of course, if we understand you correctly, if this man was guilty of legalism then he really would be unsaved, right? But you say legalism is why people fail anyway, right? So this man is definitely being 'unsaved' by what he has done. You have made this point using the Galatians and Hebrews as examples.

17 If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.

This interpretation of 1 Corinthians 3 defies the context of the passage.

The work being potentially burned up, and as a result not being present in heaven with the laborer to bring reward to him, is the harvest of God's fields, and the successful construction of God's building. Read it.

What reward is there for laboring but not having a harvest of wheat, or rooms added to the building of God because of negligence, sloth, or teaching a gospel that can not save a person but which actually tears down the building of God? None of course. That's Paul's point. It's his defense for the legitimacy of his ministry, as opposed to the false ministry of those who were competing against him for their devotion.
"This interpretation"? I just posted the scriptures in their context, and of course this passage relates directly with the passage in Chapter 5. It says the same thing and makes the same point. This Church had many issues with those who walked in the lust of the flesh, at NO TIME does Paul in anyway suggest these people are unsaved, but reaffirms their salvaltion, unlike in the Galatian Church, where the very salvation of the legalist is in jeopardy and clear warnings of lost salvation is made.

To deliver [G3860] (5629) such an one [G5108] unto Satan [G4567] for [G1519] the destruction [G3639] of the flesh [G4561], that [G2443] the spirit [G4151] may be saved [G4982] (5686) in [G1722] the day [G2250] of the Lord [G2962] Jesus [G2424]. (1 Corinthians 5:5 KJV)

But of course, if we understand you correctly, if this man was guilty of legalism then he really would be unsaved, right? But you say legalism is why people fail anyway, right? So this man is definitely being 'unsaved' by what he has done. You have made this point using the Galatians and Hebrews as examples.
Not sure of your point in posting this translation? The word "may" or be is not in the scriptures. And yes legalism is the only biblical way to be "cut-off" from Christ or to fall from grace.

No George, it doesn't.

JLB
I think you're exaggerating what it means to be turned over to satan.

All it means is being turned over to your sin and enduring the just penalty for doing so. Nobody needs a special power to excommunicate a person from the fellowship and let them indulge their sin to their own destruction.
Well Paul had it, and its seen in the scriptures and every true Shepherd of Christ has a spiritual rod, with which to restrain the flock and to beat the wolves. If you have not seen such Men of God, I suggest to you that they are very real.
Why do you think something supernatural has to be happening in the account? In this case the offender is simply being excommunicated. There are no indications that anything more than that is happening. He's being given space to repent by being turned over to his sin. As the chastisement of God's judgment sets in the hope is he will come to his senses and repent. We see how God does this in Revelation:

"21 I gave her time to repent, and she does not want to repent of her immorality. 22 Behold, I will throw her on a bed of sickness, and those who commit adultery with her into great tribulation, unless they repent of her deeds. " (Revelation 2:21-22 NASB)

So let's not make this into another Annanis and Sapphira incident where they were NOT given the opportunity to repent and a man of God really did act in great power and authority to judge the church.

Not sure of your point in posting this translation? The word "may" or be is not in the scriptures. And yes legalism is the only biblical way to be "cut-off" from Christ or to fall from grace.
Since earlier the appeal had been made to the original Greek language, we see in the original Greek language that this man was, undeniably, to be turned over to destruction so his spirit can be saved. But you say he was already OSAS. That's the point, and made clear in the original Greek so as to remove translation influences.

Add to that the fact that you insist all sin is the result of legalism. Which you have made clear is how a man falls from grace--which OSAS says can't happen. So, putting all the pieces of your doctrine together this passage is actually saying, according to your doctrine, that this man has cut himself off from Christ, because he sinned, and all sin is the result of legalism, and legalism is what removes you from grace.

In short, you make the very non-OSAS argument you insist is not true and which you say is pushed by judgmental hypocrites who get their kicks out of un-saving people and saying salvation is by doubt in Christ, not faith in Christ, yadda yadda yadda....

In the context of Pauls gospel, it is not possible that this man could be condemned in spirit, but the flesh is the issue of judgment.

Your perspective is exactly opposite of what the scriptures reveal.

The eternal condemnation of this man's spirit is the only thing in question.

3 For I indeed, as absent in body but present in spirit, have already judged (as though I were present) him who has so done this deed. 4 In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when you are gathered together, along with my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ, 5 deliver such a one to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

If they don't follow the instructions that Paul is giving here, this man's spirit will be lost, that is to say his salvation.

George, for some reason brother, you are not able to see the truth of what this scripture teaches. You have exalted yourself against the knowledge of God here is these scriptures and you refuse to let go of a doctrine that blinds you to the truth.

again, you said: it is not possible that this man could be condemned in spirit,

Paul said: destruction of the flesh, that his spirit may be saved

JLB

In the context of Pauls gospel, it is not possible that this man could be condemned in spirit, but the flesh is the issue of judgment.

Your perspective is exactly opposite of what the scriptures reveal.

The eternal condemnation of this man's spirit is the only thing in question.

3 For I indeed, as absent in body but present in spirit, have already judged (as though I were present) him who has so done this deed. 4 In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when you are gathered together, along with my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ, 5 deliver such a one to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

If they don't follow the instructions that Paul is giving here, this man's spirit will be lost, that is to say his salvation.

George, for some reason brother, you are not able to see the truth of what this scripture teaches. You have exalted yourself against the knowledge of God here is these scriptures and you refuse to let go of a doctrine that blinds you to the truth.

JLB
You do understand that "may be" is not in the text, but was added by the translators? This scripture is saying the same thing Paul said in Chapter 3:
17 If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.

It does not say the spirit is lost, and no where does Paul teach such things. Do you think these people where "unsaved" or this man, and saved again?:lol

Since earlier the appeal had been made to the original Greek language, we see in the original Greek language that this man was, undeniably, to be turned over to destruction so his spirit can be saved. But you say he was already OSAS. That's the point, and made clear in the original Greek so as to remove translation influences.

Add to that the fact that you insist all sin is the result of legalism. Which you have made clear is how a man falls from grace--which OSAS says can't happen. So, putting all the pieces of your doctrine together this passage is actually saying, according to your doctrine, that this man has cut himself off from Christ, because he sinned, and all sin is the result of legalism, and legalism is what removes you from grace.

In short, you make the very non-OSAS argument you insist is not true and which you say is pushed by judgmental hypocrites who get their kicks out of un-saving people and saying salvation is by doubt in Christ, not faith in Christ, yadda yadda yadda....
You twist my words, I said "the strength of sin is the law" - legalism produces sinful desires and lust. This is from the "flesh", for nothing good lives in any mans flesh and the law only produces sinful desires to be awaked in the flesh of those who look to the Ten Commandments-law. Yes in grace a believer cannot be lost EVER! For Grace is the power over sin.

Why do you think something supernatural has to be happening in the account? In this case the offender is simply being excommunicated

"excommunicated" That is a RCC term, and has no meaning as it relates to the truth of the scriptures. This power that Paul was given is seen in several places throughout the scriptures. I suggest you study the scriptures.

You do understand that "may be" is not in the text, but was added by the translators?

4 In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when you are gathered together, along with my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ, 5 deliver such a one to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus. 1 Corinthians 5:4-5

That his spirit is saved.

That his spirit will be saved.

that his spirit may be saved.

that his spirit can be saved.

The man's spirit saved in the Day of Christ is the point of the scripture.

His salvation secured by the action that Paul recommends.

That is the point of this discussion which you refuse to accept.

OSAS is clearly a false doctrine, based on the scriptures.

JLB

You do understand that "may be" is not in the text, but was added by the translators?

4 In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when you are gathered together, along with my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ, 5 deliver such a one to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus. 1 Corinthians 5:4-5

That his spirit is saved.

That his spirit will be saved.

that his spirit may be saved.

that his spirit can be saved.

The man's spirit saved in the Day of Christ is the point of the scripture.

His salvation secured by the action that Paul recommends.

That is the point of this discussion which you refuse to accept.

OSAS is clearly a false doctrine, based on the scriptures.

JLB

Well, I have already answered and you refuse to hear the truth: as far as OSAS, I could care less about this term, but in grace a believer is forever secure and cannot be lost. These scriptures you claim proves your point, in fact defeat your point altogether.
You do understand that "may be" is not in the text, but was added by the translators? This scripture is saying the same thing Paul said in Chapter 3:

It does not say the spirit is lost, and no where does Paul teach such things. Do you think these people where "unsaved" or this man, and saved again?:lol

Paul was bring correction to the Church body, "purging out the leven" As all correction from God, works for our good, this man was corrected, he was never "unsaved" and then saved again through this process.

Quick reply to this message Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

I have had enough. George you have not told us the root of your issue. You sound very much infected with being a Baptist, and Calvinist. Also Paul was purging the leaven? correction from God? NO, George, Paul sent the man off to be killed by the enemy. You purge the leaven in your own church George? You folks turn people over to a disobedient, manic spirit so that your people can be killed if they mess up?

1Co 3:16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
1Co 3:17 If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.

George................ The verse says if any man Defile His temple, God saves them? Or destroys them?

1Co 10:9
Neither let us tempt Christ, as some of them also tempted, and were destroyed of serpents.
1Co 10:10 Neither murmur ye, as some of them also murmured, and were destroyed of the destroyer.

READ!!!!

1Ti 4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
1Ti 4:2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;

Heb 6:4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
Heb 6:6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

Depart from the Faith George!!! We are saved by Grace, nothing we did but through Faith in that grace. What happens if you depart from the faith in grace and have your conscience seared to where you don't care anymore? What happens then George? A seared conscience don't care, does not produce fruit unto Right things (Righteousness)

We know them by their fruits George!!!

If they fall away (Leave) it's impossible to bring them back to repentance. It's over for them George.

Heb 3:12 Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God.
Heb 3:6 But Christ as a son over his own house; whose house are we, if we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm unto the end.

What happens George if you depart from God? What happens then George? What happens if you don't hold your faith in that saving grace until the end?

Rev 3:15 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.
Rev 3:16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

What happens if you stay lukewarm George? What happens if Jesus spews you out his mouth? All the scripture I gave above indicate we are going to be just fine staying lukewarm?

Rev_3:5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

What happens if you get your name blotted out of the book George! Then what happens to you?

just amazing..........

Mike.

We often don't see ourselves as others see us. Our preconceived thoughts are in front of us and we believe that is THEE path. It often shows with double standards.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back