Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Poll re. good tattoo artist career for a Christian woman - Part 2

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
PS [MENTION=4376]handy[/MENTION]: in your previous posts, great Scriptures from Hebrews, etc.!

I guess it all goes to show that even in a subject like this the overall doctrinal framework from Scripture that a person has, can influence the way s/he thinks about whether one is free to have it done.

Blessings.

PS [MENTION=4376]handy[/MENTION]: in your previous posts, great Scriptures from Hebrews, etc.!

I guess it all goes to show that even in a subject like this the overall doctrinal framework from Scripture that a person has, can influence the way s/he thinks about whether one is free to have it done.

Blessings.

I agree, farouk. This reminds me of the issue of women being pastors. I don't believe a woman should be the pastor of a church, or at least not the final authority (some churches have children's pastors and youth pastors, etc.)... I used to be so convinced that anyone who thought a woman can be a pastor obviously was either ignoring the Scriptures or dismissing them. After much study, I now believe that this is an area where solid, bible believing Christians can disagree. I still don't think women should be pastors, but I don't judge those who do as ignoring God's word or will.

I don't doubt for a moment Ryan's or Jethro's commitment to the Scriptures and to the Lord... but, in this subject, we do disagree. And, we each find solid biblical bases for our opinions in the matter. Either one, some or all are wrong, but until there is further clarity, it's best that we all operate as to what we are convinced in our own mind (as per Romans 14) within our faith in God and yield to His Spirit.

So guys, what did you think of what was the original idea for the thread: the actual work of being a tattooist, as being potentially a good thing for a suitably talented Christian woman, too, to consider?

Back a bit, @for_his_glory , in one of her posts said this:
Originally Posted by for_his_glory The gender aspect should be the same for a women or a man, but since you did say a women then I would have no problem with that of a women owning her own parlor..

It's kind of really an extension of the equality between men and women, I think.

(Two cents'.)

Blessings.

Last edited by a moderator:
PS @handy : in your previous posts, great Scriptures from Hebrews, etc.!

Blessings.

I agree, farouk. This reminds me of the issue of women being pastors. I don't believe a woman should be the pastor of a church, or at least not the final authority (some churches have children's pastors and youth pastors, etc.)... I used to be so convinced that anyone who thought a woman can be a pastor obviously was either ignoring the Scriptures or dismissing them. After much study, I now believe that this is an area where solid, bible believing Christians can disagree. I still don't think women should be pastors, but I don't judge those who do as ignoring God's word or will.

I don't doubt for a moment Ryan's or Jethro's commitment to the Scriptures and to the Lord... but, in this subject, we do disagree. And, we each find solid biblical bases for our opinions in the matter. Either one, some or all are wrong, but until there is further clarity, it's best that we all operate as to what we are convinced in our own mind (as per Romans 14) within our faith in God and yield to His Spirit.
@handy :

It's good to keep a humble attitude as regards those who might disagree with us, albeit if they go to the same Scriptures and study them. For example, you referred to Romans 14 (the great charter of Christian liberty) and I read it and I seem to conclude that a Christian might well feel free to use a faith based tattoo as a witness tool, on reading Romans 14. But then others on here seem to think that the chapter, while not explicit about tattoos, would really be applied to mean: Don't get a tattoo! :)

Blessings.

I hardly think that anyone who has John 3:16 tatted on their arm is engaging in a death culture/paganistic ritual. Nor being rebellious for that matter. Perhaps a generation or so ago, there was a sort of subculture of sailors, bikers and prisoners that tatted to show how tough and outside of the bounds of society they were... but tattoos are pretty mainstream today.
[MENTION=4376]handy[/MENTION]:

(I think I was a away from the computer a day or so ago when you guys posted quite a few posts; you also said this, above.).

Yes, it's very mainstream.

Today, if a stern preacher tried to tell 18 year olds (the age when many young men and women get their first tattoo): 'If you get a tattoo, it will be rebellion against your parents!', a not unsual response, spoken or unspoken, might be: 'Strange; because my mom has a tattoo'.

(Two cents'.)

Blessings.

George Muller said:
Re: Poll re. good tattoo artist career for a Christian woman

<!-- CUSTOM MODERATED COLOUR --><!-- / -->Wow this thread is still going? Blessed is the man (or woman) who can answer to God with a clear conscience. I hope those who get tats at least have some earnest prayer before they get them? I doubt many would if they really heard the voice of God, but maybe it is the Will of God for some?:chin

[MENTION=96503]George Muller[/MENTION]: FYI: Since you posted this earlier in the week, there has been a new thread re-started by one of the mods; as you'll see, it runs to several pagaes already. Blessings.

sheesh. thanks kiwidan that is the maori tribe and are their tribes in America that have tattoos? yes.

mike Tyson has one. of which tribe I would have to look.

Mike Tyson has 6 tattoos at last count, including his infamous tribal style facial tattoo on the left side of face, stretching from his temple to his cheek

http://www.celebritytattoosite.com/2010/01/mike-tyson-tattoos.html
[MENTION=11841]jasoncran[/MENTION]:

In Western countries, it's a bit more unusual to have facial tattoos.

(Behind the ear is a little more common, though not on the face itself.)

Blessings.

no. I have been to Elizabethtown, ky where just about everyone at the convience stores did have facial tattoos. I called it the freak show as they were pierced and so forth. it was bad. they had way too many piercings.

no. I have been to Elizabethtown, ky where just about everyone at the convience stores did have facial tattoos. I called it the freak show as they were pierced and so forth. it was bad. they had way too many piercings.

Interesting.

But anyway with the very widespread popularity of tattooing and piercing in general, it's maybe likely that those who work in parlors would have a few themselves, also. I think for a Christian working at a tattoo/piercing parlor, it's maybe inevitable (and maybe mainstream) to have some, too; but I guess not overdoing it can be good.

It ought to be possible to have some ink and rings but still be generally modest about it.

Blessings.

so a Christian working for a secular or sinner tat parlor. will have the right to refuse any tat he or she finds offensive!

right she gets to refuse to put on someone "im gay and im proud of it"or 666 as I mentions. right. sure lol.

so a Christian working for a secular or sinner tat parlor. will have the right to refuse any tat he or she finds offensive!

right she gets to refuse to put on someone "im gay and im proud of it"or 666 as I mentions. right. sure lol.

To look at it from another perspective: wouldn't it be good if Christians could own parlors where Christians particularly would feel welcome and comfortable?

Blessings.

that defeats the purpose. should we then just live in communes. we could have Christian mma, Christian football and other sports. and well Christians schools.god didn't call us to do that. while im not saying we shouldn't do such things but we cant take it too far. like I said before about art. do we have to go there. do we need "Christian secular music" songs that don't mention Christ but are just like the world too? most of switchfoots and others that have crossed still have a Christian message and aren't really secular.

that defeats the purpose. should we then just live in communes. we could have Christian mma, Christian football and other sports. and well Christians schools.god didn't call us to do that. while im not saying we shouldn't do such things but we cant take it too far. like I said before about art. do we have to go there. do we need "Christian secular music" songs that don't mention Christ but are just like the world too? most of switchfoots and others that have crossed still have a Christian message and aren't really secular.
@jasoncran :

So what did you think of mygraine's quote in the OP:

The area in which I live, >16000 people, has five tattoo shops. Of the five, three are owned by women, of those three, two are owned and operated by Christians. So the thought of Christian women with tattoos is just how it is. My wife is no longer intimidated by the whole dark alley tat shop scene. When the artist is a Christian woman, it makes it more accessible for other Christian women. ..
My wife had tatts before Christ.. She states that she prefers the idea of an artist with a set of morals similar to our own. We are friends with two female tattoo artists .. For my wife it seems to come down to the money, she may get more later, as the finances become available

Blessings.

ok. I would like to see what they do. if they are too make money I don't think they limit the tattoos since more in the world get the more offensive style and large tattoos.
sorry. I don't see a myriad of teens in the youth group at church getting tats or so forth. I see a lot of tattooed women and men each morning where I work.so a Christian couldn't tattoo another on the breasts.or what not that is well sensual, no pierce, nor such like. and how would they make money?

ok. I would like to see what they do. if they are too make money I don't think they limit the tattoos since more in the world get the more offensive style and large tattoos.
sorry. I don't see a myriad of teens in the youth group at church getting tats or so forth. I see a lot of tattooed women and men each morning where I work.so a Christian couldn't tattoo another on the breasts.or what not that is well sensual, no pierce, nor such like. and how would they make money?

I guess this is why for a woman to be tattooed by another woman can be a more discreet way of proceeding, in some circumstances.

(Lunch time; back later.)

Blessings.

George Muller said:
Re: Poll re. good tattoo artist career for a Christian woman

<!-- CUSTOM MODERATED COLOUR --><!-- / -->Wow this thread is still going? Blessed is the man (or woman) who can answer to God with a clear conscience. I hope those who get tats at least have some earnest prayer before they get them? I doubt many would if they really heard the voice of God, but maybe it is the Will of God for some?:chin

[MENTION=96503]George Muller[/MENTION]: FYI: Since you posted this earlier in the week, there has been a new thread re-started by one of the mods; as you'll see, it runs to several pagaes already. Blessings.
Thank you I will check it out

A much more noble career for a Christian woman, and one that has much, much more potential for opening up a door to the gospel message, and which causes no one to stumble, and helps people, is to open a business to remove tattoos. Who could even begin to argue whether that is conscionable and approved by God and can do everything I just said?

If a woman's desire and goal is really to do what pleases God in the furtherance of the gospel this should be a no-brainer. Really folks.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back