Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Should Women Preach The Word Of God ?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Lewis W said:
I was lead to the Lord by a women. And this women said the sinners prayer with me, and then I repeated Romans 10: 9-10 with her. You can go anywhere here in Philly and see women passing out tracks, and sharing the Word of Christ and leading people to God's Kingdom. Are they not to do this ? Today there are more women in the church than men, and thats a fact. Women are more willing than men to receive God, and thats a fact also. I have heard this said by more than a few male pastors, and I know it to be true for myself. And you think God does not know this ? Yes He does, so why not use them. Everywhere I go I see more women in the church than men. I am not downplaying men, because I am a man. I am just stating facts. And men are more willing to go up against God than women, and thats a fact too. So where do we go from here ?

Lewis
And I agree with all of what you said here. In the context of what you wrote in what they do I agree with. all of that can be done without being a pastor and thus not going against the scriptures. They are doing what Pricella did as well timothys mother and grandmother and I can name many more women in the bible who did this. They did this in its proper context. None of them were pastors of a church.

Lovely
In the context of what you do in moderating these forums according to the scriptures what your doing is great and I am sure the Lord is pleased with you and the way you understand the differances between men and women. If anything you are more like a deacon. You very much do a deacons job. Having to read all these post and the dedication its takes behind the scene is a blessing to the Lord.
Jg

jgredline said:
Lewis W said:
I was lead to the Lord by a women. And this women said the sinners prayer with me, and then I repeated Romans 10: 9-10 with her. You can go anywhere here in Philly and see women passing out tracks, and sharing the Word of Christ and leading people to God's Kingdom. Are they not to do this ? Today there are more women in the church than men, and thats a fact. Women are more willing than men to receive God, and thats a fact also. I have heard this said by more than a few male pastors, and I know it to be true for myself. And you think God does not know this ? Yes He does, so why not use them. Everywhere I go I see more women in the church than men. I am not downplaying men, because I am a man. I am just stating facts. And men are more willing to go up against God than women, and thats a fact too. So where do we go from here ?

Lewis
And I agree with all of what you said here. In the context of what you wrote in what they do I agree with. all of that can be done without being a pastor and thus not going against the scriptures. They are doing what Pricella did as well timothys mother and grandmother and I can name many more women in the bible who did this. They did this in its proper context. None of them were pastors of a church.
Well she was a pastor of a church. But the most important thing was that I answered God's call.

Lewis
Yes. Your correct. You answered Gods call by his Holy spirit and Gods will was going to be done. Praise the Lord Jesus Christ. This is one of the great things about our God. He does the saving, not people

jgredline said:
A prophetess is not the same as a teacher / pastor
I took the liberty to look up these passages in contex and here are the definitions.
Look them up for yourself and remember to keep them in context.

Prophetess
4398 προφῆτις [prophetis /prof•ay•tis/] n f. From 4396; TDNT 6:781; TDNTA 952; GK 4739; Two occurrences; AV translates as “prophetess†twice. 1 a prophetess. 2 a woman to whom future events or things hidden from others are at times revealed, either by inspiration or by dreams and visions. 3 a female who declares or interprets oracles.

Teacher
1321 διδάσκω [didasko /did•as•ko/] v. A prolonged (causative) form of a primary verb dao (to learn); TDNT 2:135; TDNTA 161; GK 1438; 97 occurrences; AV translates as “teach†93 times, and “taught + 2258†four times. 1 to teach. 1A to hold discourse with others in order to instruct them, deliver didactic discourses. 1B to be a teacher. 1C to discharge the office of a teacher, conduct one’s self as a teacher. 2 to teach one. 2A to impart instruction. 2B instill doctrine into one. 2C the thing taught or enjoined. 2D to explain or expound a thing. 2F to teach one something.

Pastor / Shepard
4166 ποιμήν [poimen /poy•mane/] n m. Of uncertain affinity; TDNT 6:485; TDNTA 901; GK 4478; 18 occurrences; AV translates as “shepherd†15 times, “Shepherd†twice, and “pastor†once. 1 a herdsman, esp. a shepherd. 1A in the parable, he to whose care and control others have committed themselves, and whose precepts they follow. 2 metaph. 2A the presiding officer, manager, director, of any assembly: so of Christ the Head of the church. 2A1 of the overseers of the Christian assemblies. 2A2 of kings and princes. Additional Information: The tasks of a Near Eastern shepherd were: 1) to watch for enemies trying to attack the sheep; 2) to defend the sheep from attackers; 3) to heal the wounded and sick sheep; 4) to find and save lost or trapped sheep; 5) to love them, sharing their lives and so earning their trust. During World War II, a shepherd was a pilot who guided another pilot whose plane was partially disabled back to the base or carrier by flying alongside him to maintain visual contact.

PASTOR
The word “pastors†appears once in the KJV New Testament, in Ephesians 4:11, where it means “a shepherd of souls,†“a Christian minister.†Tyndale and Coverdale used “shepherd†at this point; the Geneva Bible was the first to use “pastor,†which the majority of all subsequent versions have retained.
In the KJV Old Testament, “pastor†appears eight times, all in Jeremiah, as a translation of the Hebrew word which elsewhere is translated “shepherd†sixty-two times and “herdman†seven times. These eight passages are Jeremiah 2:8; 3:15; 10:21; 12:10; 17:16; 22:22; 23:1–2, which all refer to those who care or should care, for the people.
Here, again, the Geneva Bible took the initiative. But the word “shepherd†also appears in twelve other passages of Jeremiah, and in ten of these the shepherds care for people rather than for animals. So there is no real basis for the Geneva Bible and the KJV to use “pastor†as if for a special, different group of people, and this is reflected in contemporary translations, which replace “pastors†with “shepherds†(although the NKJV uses “rulers†in Jeremiah 12:10; 22:22).
The KJV translation of Jeremiah 17:16, “I have not hastened from being a pastor to follow thee,†is based on a Hebrew word which can have two very different meanings, depending on the accent in the middle. Ràah is the participle of the verb “to shepherdâ€Â; ra’ah is a noun meaning “evil.†Both readings are possible; some scholars hold that the latter is more natural and fits the context better, and the RSV translated the verse as “I have not pressed thee to send evil.â€Â
However, the majority of the more recent translations retain the word “shepherdâ€Â; for example, “I have not hurried away from being a shepherd who follows You†(NKJV; NASB, “from being a shepherd after Youâ€Â); “I have not run away from being your shepherd†(NIV; NRSV, “from being a shepherd in your serviceâ€Â).

I suggest you go back and read ''all'' my post
You can reference all the books you want, and get all the knowledge you want from them. But I look at the result as God's approval (The fruit of a ministry). Which is what God told us to do. Would you have me deny one part of God's word to only believe another (believing the word out of context)?

If women teachers were mocking God by teaching, will they recieve His blessing? That's like saying that God will bless you for sin.

Can Satan bestow the same exact blessing on someone? And if not. then God has made a bad representation of Himself if you are right. For who else but God can bestow a blessing of good fruit?

One more thing. Anyone who is saved through a ministry that is unapproved of by God, is not saved. Why? Salvation is not obtained through sin. And sin cannot produce the fruit of salvation. So unless you are willing to commit to a false salvation of every person that has been saved through every woman lead ministry, then you are wrong.

God is not mocked, not even by a woman. And certainly not through sin for salvation.

Rob said:
The problem I see with this is that women tend to be more vunerable to some of the dangers associated with this(that sounds so sexist, please forgive me ladies) What I mean is a woman is more likely to be raped, robbed, and left for dead while out trying to spread the word than a man is(I'm not saying it's not possible for a man to have the same thing happen, just more likely for it to happen to a woman) Keep in mind that when we are out spreading God's word we are sometimes putting ourselves in dangerous places. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that God can't protect us, I'm just saying it isn't safe for men or women but even less safe for a woman than a man.

Wow, every woman on this board is going to hate me now :oops:

Rob
I am tempted to post my entire testimony here! Suffice it to say that I was born and raised in the worst occultic -crime organization on the face of the planet. Born with multiple birth defects, conceived in rape to a teenager who herself was conceived in rape. Raised by a modern day Ahab and Jezebel. Then, to add insult to injury ~ I am female.
The Lord Jesus Christ entered my life and was present with me at an age when most people would debate that I was old enough to understand Him.
I was preaching the gospel to victims of this group,and even to members of this group before I was old enough to know better.
This organization has not gone away. They have been unable to explain God protecting me from them. And no one knows why they are still able to 'get to me' from time to time. I'm thinkin' God lets them take me to places where they have a fresh group of victims.
Rob, everywhere I go, on my own free will, or by force ~~~ I preach the gospel. Perhaps I could ask the Lord to give my calling to you ~~a man~~ and then we would both be in the center of Gods perfect will. I would be willing to train you ~ but then that would be a woman teaching a man again.

One more thing. Anyone who is saved through a ministry that is unapproved of by God, is not saved. Why? Salvation is not obtained through sin. And sin cannot produce the fruit of salvation. So unless you are willing to commit to a false salvation of every person that has been saved through every woman lead ministry, then you are wrong.

God is not mocked, not even by a woman. And certainly not through sin for salvation.
What!!!!!!!!!so what you are saying is, that I am not saved, is that what you are saying ? I know I have heard it all now, That is crazy to say something like that. What are women, part of the devil or something ?
They can't lead you to the Lord. But Jesus Himself told women to go and tell men that He has risen. They were the first humans to see Him. And the first humans to talk to Him, after He defeated death and rose again. There is neither male nor female bond nor free, because we are all one in Christ Jesus. Women were the first to bring this Good News, which Christianity is based on.

This type of thinking is what Jesus was up against with the pharisees. Those religious spirits are something else.

Lewis W said:

What!!!!!!!!!so what you are saying is, that I am not saved, is that what you are saying ? I know I have heard it all now, That is crazy to say something like that. What are women, part of the devil or something ?
They can't lead you to the Lord. But Jesus Himself told women to go and tell men that He has risen. They were the first humans to see Him. And the first humans to talk to Him, after He defeated death and rose again. There is neither male nor female bond nor free, because we are all one in Christ Jesus. Women were the first to bring this Good News, which Christianity is based on.

You are saved,

But,

If the other member is correct is what I meant. I myself believe that a woman can preach, therefore can also lead a man to salvation. I was carrying it to an extreme to show that you can't go just halfway. For if a woman cannot teach a man, tell a man what to do, never talk in a church, etc... She also cannot lead a man into salvation. So unless the other member would like to commit to all this, then they would be wrong. Because every man ever brought to salvation through something that would be considered sin, would not be right. Christ did not die for a salvation that is obtainable through commiting a sin.

So if women preaching is a sin, then no man ever saved by a woman in ministry has actual salvation.

Sorry if I did not make that more clear...

Sorry, 'ikester7579', that I refered to you as a pharisee...I didn't realize you were only playing 'devils' advocate, I didn't realize that you weren't serious.
Thanks for clearing that up!
You also make a good point

Thanks for clearing that up. And I am sorry for going off a little bit. Destiny and I just had a moment thats all.

ikester7579 said:
Lewis W said:

You are saved,

But,

If the other member is correct is what I meant. I myself believe that a woman can preach, therefore can also lead a man to salvation. I was carrying it to an extreme to show that you can't go just halfway. For if a woman cannot teach a man, tell a man what to do, never talk in a church, etc... She also cannot lead a man into salvation. So unless the other member would like to commit to all this, then they would be wrong. Because every man ever brought to salvation through something that would be considered sin, would not be right. Christ did not die for a salvation that is obtainable through commiting a sin.

So if women preaching is a sin, then no man ever saved by a woman in ministry has actual salvation.

Ike
If you go back and read all my post you will see what I am saying. Like I told lewis. He is saved because he heard Gods call and he answered. God is going to save whom he is going to save. Your example of sinner not being able to bring people to a saving grace in Jesus does not hold any water because WE ARE ALL SINNERS. EVERYONE OF US. Again, nobody has provided scripture that says its OK for women to be pastors/ shepard of a church.
Ike. Provide the scriptures that say its ok.

Here is some commentary by J VERNON McGEE

Question Can a woman be ordained as a pastor of a Christian church?

Answer While many denominations are ordaining women as pastors, it is not a biblical position. First Timothy 3, where the qualifications of elders and deacons are listed, is directed solely to men.
The apostle Paul has written, “But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence†(1 Tim. 2:12).
These verses have to do with the learning and teaching of doctrine. Keep in mind that women led in the mystery religions of Paul’s day which were sex orgies. Paul is cautioning women not to speak publicly with the idea of making an appeal on the basis of sex. Paul strictly forbade women to speak in tongues in the assembly. (See 1 Cor. 14:34.)
The apostle Paul speaks of the fact that there were some preaching Christ out of love, “knowing that I am set for the defense of the gospel†(Phil 1:17). Then he mentions the other group who were preaching the gospel, but they actually were using it to hit at the apostle Paul. And he says, “What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretense, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice†(Phil. 1:18).
He said that some were preaching Christ “of contention, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my bonds†(Phil. 1:16). And you would think that Paul would be dead set against them. Then he says that there’s another group preaching Christ out of love; he would, of course, be for them. But surprisingly he says that he is for both groups, because both preach Christ.
The important thing to Paul was that Christ be preached, no matter whether it was done in pretense or by true motives. It is tragic that at times Christ is preached in envy and strife. He is still presented in that way today, but we can always rejoice whenever Christ is preached.
I am a little rough on female preachers because I believe their office is unscriptural, but, as I have said on several occasions, some women are preaching Christ better than the average male preacher. What is my position? I rejoice and thank God that Christ is being preached.
There are many wonderful Bible classes today, and they are largely being run and taught by women. Many of them are in places where there is nothing in the world but liberal churches, and these classes have been a regular oasis.
I like to tell the story of Dr. Ironside who was walking through a park in Oakland, California, when a woman was preaching there. One of his Brethren friends said to him, “Isn’t it a shame that this woman is here preaching?†And Dr. Ironside said, “It’s a shame that there’s not some man to take her place.†Now, that’s the problem. Thank God, Christ is being preached. That’s the important thing. We can rejoice today whenever the Word of God is given out.
McGee, J. V.

jgredline said:

Answer While many denominations are ordaining women as pastors, it is not a biblical position. First Timothy 3, where the qualifications of elders and deacons are listed, is directed solely to men.
The apostle Paul has written, “But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence†(1 Tim. 2:12).
These verses have to do with the learning and teaching of doctrine. Keep in mind that women led in the mystery religions of Paul’s day which were sex orgies. Paul is cautioning women not to speak publicly with the idea of making an appeal on the basis of sex. Paul strictly forbade women to speak in tongues in the assembly. (See 1 Cor. 14:34.)
The apostle Paul speaks of the fact that there were some preaching Christ out of love, “knowing that I am set for the defense of the gospel†(Phil 1:17). Then he mentions the other group who were preaching the gospel, but they actually were using it to hit at the apostle Paul. And he says, “What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretense, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice†(Phil. 1:18).
He said that some were preaching Christ “of contention, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my bonds†(Phil. 1:16). And you would think that Paul would be dead set against them. Then he says that there’s another group preaching Christ out of love; he would, of course, be for them. But surprisingly he says that he is for both groups, because both preach Christ.
The important thing to Paul was that Christ be preached, no matter whether it was done in pretense or by true motives. It is tragic that at times Christ is preached in envy and strife. He is still presented in that way today, but we can always rejoice whenever Christ is preached.
I am a little rough on female preachers because I believe their office is unscriptural, but, as I have said on several occasions, some women are preaching Christ better than the average male preacher. What is my position? I rejoice and thank God that Christ is being preached.
There are many wonderful Bible classes today, and they are largely being run and taught by women. Many of them are in places where there is nothing in the world but liberal churches, and these classes have been a regular oasis.
I like to tell the story of Dr. Ironside who was walking through a park in Oakland, California, when a woman was preaching there. One of his Brethren friends said to him, “Isn’t it a shame that this woman is here preaching?†And Dr. Ironside said, “It’s a shame that there’s not some man to take her place.†Now, that’s the problem. Thank God, Christ is being preached. That’s the important thing. We can rejoice today whenever the Word of God is given out.
McGee, J. V.
I'll buy that. And I have always had respect for Vernon. So as far as I am concerned this conversation is over for me, until next time, I think :-D :biggrin

Lewis W said:
jgredline said:

McGee, J. V.
I'll buy that. And I have always had respect for Vernon. So as far as I am concerned this conversation is over for me, until next time, I think :-D :biggrin

Lewis
Honestly this conversation is over for me as well. Its not about who is right or wrong, but what the word of God teaches and says to us. Blessings to you my friend.
Javier

jgredline said:
ikester7579 said:
Lewis W said:

You are saved,

But,

Ike
If you go back and read all my post you will see what I am saying. Like I told lewis. He is saved because he heard Gods call and he answered. God is going to save whom he is going to save. Your example of sinner not being able to bring people to a saving grace in Jesus does not hold any water because WE ARE ALL SINNERS. EVERYONE OF US. Again, nobody has provided scripture that says its OK for women to be pastors/ shepard of a church.
Ike. Provide the scriptures that say its ok.

Can the devil save us?

Obtain salvation through sin?

Satan has three goals, getting us saved is not one of them.

Lewis W said:
Thanks for clearing that up. And I am sorry for going off a little bit. Destiny and I just had a moment thats all.

Well, I knew that I did not make myself clear when I saw both of your posts. So the fault was on my end. At 4 am in the morning, my brain tends to be mush.

jgredline said:

1 Tim 2:
10 But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.

11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.

12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

Notice the word "I". I makes this a personal opinion.

13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve.

14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.

15 Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.

Saved in child bearing?

1 Cor 14:

32 And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.

This includes phrophetesses.

33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

34 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law.

35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

The mention of husbands is showing the authority of husband over the wife. No man, out of the marraige bond, has authority over a woman. Unless it is a relative such as father, mother, or brother.

36 What? came the word of God out from you? or came it unto you only?

Tongues requires someone to interpet. If only one speaks it, and no one interpets, to what point was anything said when no one understood?

37 If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord.

Not taking things out of context.

38 But if any man be ignorant, let him be ignorant.

39 Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.

Here it is plainly said not to shut up tongues. So if tongues are not to be spoken through a woman, she will not speak it. But, if a woman does speak in tongues, and she is shut up. Then we would be stifling the message from the Holy Ghost.

40 Let all things be done decently and in order.

The gift of being able to preach is not given to those who are out of the will of God.

McGee, J. V.

If the knowledge to be able to preach the word of God were not a gift from God. Then anyone could do it. And do it as good as anyone else. How many times have you heard someone say: That was not my calling? God will make something hard for you to do, if He does not want you to do it. So if women were not supposed to preach. Then they would not be gifted in preaching and would make fools of themselves everytime they tried. Even by your own admission, you have said that some women can out preach a man. How do you think a woman recieves such a gift?

This is why that if I see fruit where I don't understand why it is there. That I trust God, for I know His fruit is controlled by Him only. And so is His wisdom. Gifts of the spirit are also controlled by God. And when a woman is able to project the gifts, and the fruit of God in ministry, who am I to question it?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back