Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Should women teach in the church?

Not all the time.
Men are not to have long hair while woman are, as it is a glory a covering, and a glory, to them.
Sometimes "men" means men.
Long hair is a glory to women, because in Corinth, the temple prostitute's heads were shaven.
And here we see why Paul wrote different things to different churches.

Long hair is a glory to women, because in Corinth, the temple prostitute's heads were shaven.
And here we see why Paul wrote different things to different churches.
Can't agree.
A God given covering and glory to one woman is a God given glory, and covering, for any woman.

Can't agree.
A God given covering and glory to one woman is a God given glory, and covering, for any woman.
About hair.
A woman with a shaved head was a punishment and a sign of disgrace which is why a woman's long hair was a glory to her. Her husband would have been happy for his long-haired wife to walk alongside him on their way to church, otherwise, people would have thought he was going out with a prostitute.

In Israel, the Hebrew men and women wore long hair, yet it was trimmed to show humility. Baldness was wholly despised for the reason given and extremely long hair was a sign people had taken the Nazarite Vow which you can read about in Numbers. Samson was a Nazarite from birth, Samual was another Nazarite who we know about from the Bible, and then there was John the Baptist. Absalom had long black hair, Paul may have taken the Nazarite Vow while he was in Jerusalem and perhaps Jesus also took the Nazarite Vow. (Not to be confused with being a Nazarene.)

NAZARITE:
One who lives apart; one who has made a vow of abstinence.

Three restrictions are imposed upon the Nazarite, according to Num. vi.: he may not take wine, or anything made from grapes; he may not cut the hair of his head; he may not touch the dead, not even the body of his father or mother. If a Nazarite has become unclean by accident, he must offer a sacrifice and begin the period of his vow anew. He is "holy unto the Lord" (Num. vi. 8), and the regulations which apply to him actually agree with those for the high priest and for the priests during worship (Lev. x. 8 et seq., xxi.; Ezek. xliv. 21).

About hair.
A woman with a shaved head was a punishment and a sign of disgrace which is why a woman's long hair was a glory to her. Her husband would have been happy for his long-haired wife to walk alongside him on their way to church, otherwise, people would have thought he was going out with a prostitute.

In Israel, the Hebrew men and women wore long hair, yet it was trimmed to show humility.
Not the men, as nature itself showed that long hair on a man was a shame unto him. (1 Cor 11:14)
Baldness was wholly despised for the reason given and extremely long hair was a sign people had taken the Nazarite Vow which you can read about in Numbers. Samson was a Nazarite from birth, Samual was another Nazarite who we know about from the Bible, and then there was John the Baptist. Absalom had long black hair, Paul may have taken the Nazarite Vow while he was in Jerusalem and perhaps Jesus also took the Nazarite Vow. (Not to be confused with being a Nazarene.)

NAZARITE:
One who lives apart; one who has made a vow of abstinence.

Three restrictions are imposed upon the Nazarite, according to Num. vi.: he may not take wine, or anything made from grapes; he may not cut the hair of his head; he may not touch the dead, not even the body of his father or mother. If a Nazarite has become unclean by accident, he must offer a sacrifice and begin the period of his vow anew. He is "holy unto the Lord" (Num. vi. 8), and the regulations which apply to him actually agree with those for the high priest and for the priests during worship (Lev. x. 8 et seq., xxi.; Ezek. xliv. 21).

Not the men, as nature itself showed that long hair on a man was a shame unto him. (1 Cor 11:14)
The solution to all this is to look for answers as to why men in Israel wore long hair, including people like Samuel and John the Baptist.

Not at all.
Sin shows who their father is, but those "in Christ" have another Father.

Where do you see in this passage, where Jesus says the brother who sins against another brother, has the devil as his father?

Jesus says the brother in Christ who sins, remains a brother in Christ, throughout the process, and continues to be a brother in Christ unless after being confronted by the Church he refuses to repent.

• But if he refuses even to hear the church, let him be to you like a heathen and a tax collector.

Here is how we deal with a Christian brother who sins against us.

These are His instructions to the church, as to how we deal with another brother who sins against us.

Moreover if your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault between you and him alone. If he hears you, you have gained your brother. But if he will not hear, take with you one or two more, that by the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.’ And if he refuses to hear them, tell it to the church. But if he refuses even to hear the church, let him be to you like a heathen and a tax collector. Matthew 18:15-17

• go and tell him his fault between you and him alone. If he hears you, you have gained your brother.

JLB

You are correct, but my mention ability at all if it is forbidden by the Lord's apostle?

The devil is in charge of moving man away from Godliness.
He is doing a pretty good job of making pertinent things unimportant.

Absolutely correct.
He did, however, write a whole lot of teachings, admonissions, and exhortations, for our edification.

Agreed, especially when trying to annul an apostle's teachings.
He also wrote..."If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord." (1 Cor 14:37)
Why not just acknowledge that Paul's writings are the commandments of the Lord?
Not even Paul himself acknowledges that his writings are all the commandments of the Lord.

"To the married I give this command (not I, but the Lord): A wife must not separate from her husband. But if she does, she must remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband. And a husband must not divorce his wife. To the rest I say this (I, not the Lord): If any brother has a wife who is not a believer and she is willing to live with him, he must not divorce her." 1 Corinthians 7:10-12

Paul wrote specific directions to the various churches as needed. He did not write new commandments of law, and they were written specifically to people that lived in an entirely different society than ours, 2,000 years ago.

Spiritually we are the same.
But women were made for men, and not men for women.
That is never going to change.
We will be equal when men can bear babies.
When men can bear babies? That is your standard of equality???

Galatians 3:28 says something entirely different: "There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus."

Not even Paul himself acknowledges that his writings are all the commandments of the Lord.

"To the married I give this command (not I, but the Lord): A wife must not separate from her husband. But if she does, she must remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband. And a husband must not divorce his wife. To the rest I say this (I, not the Lord): If any brother has a wife who is not a believer and she is willing to live with him, he must not divorce her." 1 Corinthians 7:10-12

Paul wrote specific directions to the various churches as needed. He did not write new commandments of law, and they were written specifically to people that lived in an entirely different society than ours, 2,000 years ago.
So, Adam being formed first, and Eve being the one deceived are reasons that only apply to some churches?

1 Timothy 2:11-14
11A woman must learn in quietness and full submissiveness. 12I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man;c she is to remain quiet. 13For Adam was formed first, and then Eve. 14And it was not Adam who was deceived, but the woman who was deceived and fell into transgression.

Can't agree.
So women should not wear their hair in braids, wear gold jewelry (including a wedding ring), pearls, or wear expensive clothes? 1 Timothy 2:9 That is what Paul wrote.

So, Adam being formed first, and Eve being the one deceived are reasons that only apply to some churches?

1 Timothy 2:11-14
11A woman must learn in quietness and full submissiveness. 12I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man;c she is to remain quiet. 13For Adam was formed first, and then Eve. 14And it was not Adam who was deceived, but the woman who was deceived and fell into transgression.
Man or mankind has always meant human beings of both sexes. (In Hebrew it is H120 (aw-dawm')

So God created human beings (H120) in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. (Gen 1:27 KJV)

Here we have it in the newer translations.

(CEV) So God created humans to be like himself; he made men and women.
(GNB) So God created human beings, making them to be like himself. He created them male and female,
(NLT) So God created human beings in his own image. In the image of God he created them; male and female he created them.
(NRSV) So God created humankind in his image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them.

John the Baptist?
What are you talking about?

Samuel?
What are you taking about?
John the Baptist, Samual, Sampson et al possibly David and maybe even Jesus had long hair. So according to you, no glory for them. This is what I mean by mixed messages which come clear as we learn more.

Last edited:
Where do you see in this passage, where Jesus says the brother who sins against another brother, has the devil as his father?
I don't.
The father of sinners is the devil. (1 John 3:10)
Jesus says the brother in Christ who sins, remains a brother in Christ, throughout the process, and continues to be a brother in Christ unless after being confronted by the Church he refuses to repent.
Jesus' fellow Jews had no way to get "in Christ" until they were able to be water baptized "into Christ". (Rom 6:3)
That didn't happen till after His resurrection.
Here is how we deal with a Christian brother who sins against us.
These are His instructions to the church, as to how we deal with another brother who sins against us.
Moreover if your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault between you and him alone. If he hears you, you have gained your brother. But if he will not hear, take with you one or two more, that by the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.’ And if he refuses to hear them, tell it to the church. But if he refuses even to hear the church, let him be to you like a heathen and a tax collector. Matthew 18:15-17
  • go and tell him his fault between you and him alone. If he hears you, you have gained your brother.
My Christian brothers don't commit sin.

My brother country men, and my siblings, might fit your picture of "brother" in the verses you so kindly posted.
But we have different fathers.

You are correct, but when they were not of God he said so.
He didn't say so in 1 Tim 2:12, or in 1 Cor 11.

God hasn't changed in 2000 years, so why did you?

Last edited:
Back