Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Should women teach in the church?

JLB if you want the truth in scripture

Yes please.

Please provide the scriptures that forbids a woman from being a Pastor.

Please list the passages that shows us how the Pastor is to function in the Church.

Thanks, JLB

The phrase sola scriptura is from the Latin: sola having the idea of “alone,” “ground,” “base,” and the word scriptura meaning “writings”—referring to the Scriptures.

Yes, I appreciate your love for the scriptures.

Please provide the scriptures that teach us women are forbidden to be a Pastor, so we can learn from the scriptures you learned from about this subject.

i am not basing anything on opinion. i am going by what i read in the Bible now when a person goes into osas vs osnas. one bases it off interpretation. I have been respectful in our discussion . you have hot wild rabbit chases and veered away from the question. you asked about my error. please dont act like you dont know what i am saying . i ask for scriptures that says women can pastor. we are at a standstill we use scripture as our guide and rule of thumb.. untill i can read scripture that shows me i am wrong. were in a deadlock.
If a bishop is in charge, then Deborah is a bishop, judge and leader of men.
Now Deborah, a prophetess, the wife of Lappidoth, was judging Israel at that time. She used to sit under the palm of Deborah between Ramah and Bethel in the hill country of Ephraim, and the people of Israel came up to her for judgment. She sent and summoned Barak the son of Abinoam from Kedesh-naphtali and said to him, “Has not the LORD, the God of Israel, commanded you, ‘Go, gather your men at Mount Tabor, taking 10,000 from the people of Naphtali and the people of Zebulun. And I will draw out Sisera, the general of Jabin's army, to meet you by the river Kishon with his chariots and his troops, and I will give him into your hand’?” Barak said to her, “If you will go with me, I will go, but if you will not go with me, I will not go.” And she said, “I will surely go with you. Nevertheless, the road on which you are going will not lead to your glory, for the LORD will sell Sisera into the hand of a woman.” Then Deborah arose and went with Barak to Kedesh.
(Jdg 4:4-9 ESV)

Last edited:
it’s one thing to say, women should not usurp authority over a man, or teach over a man.

It’s quite another thing to say… Women are forbidden to be Pastors.
The pastorate IS having authority over the congregation of God's people.
By virtue of not being allowed to seize authority over the congregation they are not allowed to be pastors.

We know that the older women should teach the younger women.

We know that women are to teach their children, whether male or female.
Those duties do not make a person a pastor. We're all pastors if that is the case.

The authority that women are specifically forbidden from taking is authority over the congregation. They have other authority that they are entitled to have. As you point out, authority to teach other women, authority to teach children, and authority to manage their households.

I don’t know of anyone who disagrees with the fact that the man is the head of the woman.

I believe we have moved on from that point.

Now I have asked you to prove your point from scripture that says women are forbidden from being Pastors.
A woman in pastoral authority is a woman being head over a man. That's why pastoral authority is not given to women.

Ok. I see what you are saying. It seems more than reasonable.

It certainly is one perspective from the "heads" side of the proverbial coin.

What I'm asking for from those who believe that women are forbidden to be Pastors, in any capacity, is scripture that teaches the role of the Pastor in the New Testament.

JLB

A woman in pastoral authority is a woman being head over a man.

Even if her husband who is the Senior Pastor, places her in authority over the children and youth in their Church?

Kinda like a both the husband and wife have authority over their own children.

That way she is submitting to her husband as the Pastor.

JLB

I think if we are honest, we in the USA, may have a view of the role of a Pastor that is not biblical.

JLB

Yes please.

Please provide the scriptures that forbids a woman from being a Pastor.

Please list the passages that shows us how the Pastor is to function in the Church.

Thanks, JLB
i broke my vow to say this the title is should women TEACH IN CHURCH .

then it goes to should woman pastor .. teaching is a different calling than preaching being a pastor .

so which is it teach or pastor ?

Ok. I see what you are saying. It seems more than reasonable.

It certainly is one perspective from the "heads" side of the proverbial coin.

What I'm asking for from those who believe that women are forbidden to be Pastors, in any capacity, is scripture that teaches the role of the Pastor in the New Testament.

JLB
The meaning is found right in the definition of the word itself.

It's a position of authoritative oversight in the church. An elder, or overseer. In the way Christ is head pastor and elder and overseer over the church.

So you believe Jesus words only apply to the people He spoke directly to that were living when He was alive?
In some cases, yes.
That is what you are trying to use to prop up your “doctrine” that teaches us if a brother in Christ sins against his brother, he was never really born again.
If the devil is my father, sinners are my brothers.
But if God is my Father, only the pure are my brothers.
His instructions involve getting the church to go to the brother who sins against his brother to convince him to repent, so your theory doesn’t hold up.
And if he refuses to hear them, tell it to the church. But if he refuses even to hear the church, let him be to you like a heathen and a tax collector. Matthew 18:17
Jesus’ words of instruction are for the church today just as they were in the first century.
I agree with the point, but the timing is off.
In the Lord's day, there were no sin free Christians, so everyone was a sinner.
Jesus changed that.
Thanks be to God...for the death of the old man of sin, (Rom 6:6), and rebirth from the seed of God, (1 John 3:9).

If they obey the sin in their physical body, their fruit will be filthy.
Then they won't obey, as the old body was killed and buried with Christ, and a new creature without sin took its place.
People who have been born again, still have a physical body that contains sin, which is why we are admonished to walk according to the Spirit, and not the flesh.
We who have the Spirit within us, are not to allow sin in our flesh to rule over us, that we should obey it.
Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body, that you should obey it in its lusts. Romans 6:12
Romans 6:7..."For he that is dead is freed from sin."
Why are you not freed from sin?

Notice that Paul is speaking to water baptized Christians.
Yes indeed.
Folks who are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. (Gal 5:24)
Is your flesh still uncrucified with Christ?
That would be the only way sin could still be in your skin and bones.

Everyone sins, including Christians.
You are in error.
And all are forgiven. The difference is that Christians have accepted Christ's sacrifice on their behalf.

1 John 1:8 (written to Christians): "If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us."
If the meaning of that verse were as you understand it, then verses 7 and 9 are a lie.
1 John 1:7..."But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin."
If that is true, why can't the cleansed say they are clean?
1 John 3:9..."If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."
If that is true, why can't the cleansed say they are clean?

John uses alternating verses to juxtapose the abilities of those who walk in darkness, sin, against those who walk in the light which is God.
It is those who walk in darkness who cannot say they have fellowship with God, or that they have no sin.
Those who walk in the light can say both.

You haven't shown any such scripture that says a woman is forbidden to be a pastor.

I think we agree that a woman is not to usurp authority over a man.

However I have to find a scripture that's says a woman can not be called as a Pastor.

Try to be honest.
How can a pastor not have any authority over men?
You propose a shepherd with authority over only half the flock.
That idea is not of God.

By virtue of not being allowed to seize authority over the congregation they are not allowed to be pastors.
Where do you get that women are trying to "seize authority" by serving as pastors?

Back