Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Speaking in tongues and the Holy Spirit

How did everyone present on the Day of Pentecost know they received the Baptism of the Holy Ghost, they spoke in tongues. 120+ way more than 2 witnesses to establish a fact according to Scripture.

You admit yourself with this passage that all should speak in tongues.

1 Corinthians 12:29-30, "Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles? Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?"

Addresses the diversity of spiritual gifts within the body of Christ, emphasizing that not every believer will have the same role or gift. The church is likened to a body, with each member having a distinct function, and all are necessary for the health and growth of the church. This diversity ensures that the church operates effectively, with apostles, prophets, teachers, miracle workers, those with gifts of healing, and others each contributing uniquely to the mission of the church.

It is important to distinguish between the different types of speaking in tongues mentioned in the New Testament. The Bible teaches that speaking in tongues serves different purposes and contexts. First, there is speaking in tongues as the initial evidence of receiving the Holy Spirit, which is a private and personal experience for every believer baptized in the Holy Ghost. This experience is a sign of the New Birth and is distinct from the spiritual gifts described in 1 Corinthians 12.

Second, the passage in 1 Corinthians 12 refers to the specific gift of tongues used in a public worship setting. This gift, meant for the edification of the church, occurs during quiet spiritual moments and requires interpretation. Not all believers will possess this particular gift, just as not all are apostles, prophets, or teachers. This public exercise of the gift of tongues, accompanied by interpretation, is different from the personal prayer language experienced by individuals when they receive the Holy Spirit.

While every believer is encouraged to seek and receive the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in tongues as a personal experience, the specific gift of tongues used in church settings for communal edification and requiring interpretation is given according to God’s sovereign will and purpose. This distinction clarifies the different roles of speaking in tongues within the body of Christ, both for individual spiritual growth and for the edification of the church.
While I consider your #1 and #2 the same gift, there is third...being able to speak in a foreign language.
I feel that #3 is the type of tongues mentioned as "tongues" in the "...do all speak with tongues ?" of the 1 Cor 12.
They should all have been speaking in your #1-2 tongues already.

The concern that emphasizing speaking in tongues as evidence of receiving the Holy Spirit might "put God in a box"
That is not what I said. I said, claiming that the only way the Spirit manifests Himself is through speaking in tongues when Scripture clearly indicates that there are multiple other gifts that could also be given depending on His will is putting Him in a box. What I mean by putting Him in a box is that we humans are determining what the Holy Spirit will do rather than listening to God's Word on the matter.

1 Corinthians 12:29-30, "Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles? Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?"

Addresses the diversity of spiritual gifts within the body of Christ, emphasizing that not every believer will have the same role or gift.
Exactly. Not all will receive the same gifts and included in that list is speaking in tongues. How is it you do not see that?

Certainly, some will speak in tongues but not necessarily all. Some will receive the gift of prophesy, some the gift of apostleship, some the gift of teaching, some the gift of working miracles, some the gift of speaking in tongues, some the gift of interpretation of tongues, and so forth.

Exactly. Not all will receive the same gifts and included in that list is speaking in tongues. How is it you do not see that?
My Rock, this is where I think you may be putting the Holy Spirit in your box so-to-speak.

How did everyone present on the Day of Pentecost know they received the Baptism of the Holy Ghost, they spoke in tongues. 120+ way more than 2 witnesses to establish a fact according to Scripture.
Yes. And again, a one-time occurrence for a specific reason; the exception, not the norm. It should be pointed out that if that passage is going to be used as a proof-text, then it must also necessarily be the case that speaking in tongues be accompanied by the sound of a rushing wind and tongues of fire resting on every individual. You can't just pick the sign you want and leave the others.

You admit yourself with this passage that all should speak in tongues.
Not at all. That's reading too much into it. Paul specifically says, "I want you all to speak in tongues," not "you should all speak in tongues." But, clearly not all will, since he has already stated in chapter 12 that not all speak in tongues and not all interpret.

Addresses the diversity of spiritual gifts within the body of Christ, emphasizing that not every believer will have the same role or gift. The church is likened to a body, with each member having a distinct function, and all are necessary for the health and growth of the church. This diversity ensures that the church operates effectively, with apostles, prophets, teachers, miracle workers, those with gifts of healing, and others each contributing uniquely to the mission of the church.
Exactly my point. This strongly implies that not all will speak in tongues, and given the diversity of gifts, it may be relatively few who do.

It is important to distinguish between the different types of speaking in tongues mentioned in the New Testament. The Bible teaches that speaking in tongues serves different purposes and contexts. First, there is speaking in tongues as the initial evidence of receiving the Holy Spirit, which is a private and personal experience for every believer baptized in the Holy Ghost. This experience is a sign of the New Birth and is distinct from the spiritual gifts described in 1 Corinthians 12.
This is not biblical. There is not a single verse showing that there is a "private and personal experience for every believer baptized in the Holy Ghost." The only verses which have people speaking in tongues show the opposite of private and personal. There is also not a single verse which states that every believer who receives the Holy Spirit will speak in tongues, as the above states.

Second, the passage in 1 Corinthians 12 refers to the specific gift of tongues used in a public worship setting. This gift, meant for the edification of the church, occurs during quiet spiritual moments and requires interpretation. Not all believers will possess this particular gift, just as not all are apostles, prophets, or teachers. This public exercise of the gift of tongues, accompanied by interpretation, is different from the personal prayer language experienced by individuals when they receive the Holy Spirit.

While every believer is encouraged to seek and receive the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in tongues as a personal experience, the specific gift of tongues used in church settings for communal edification and requiring interpretation is given according to God’s sovereign will and purpose. This distinction clarifies the different roles of speaking in tongues within the body of Christ, both for individual spiritual growth and for the edification of the church.
First, every believer receives the Holy Spirit. Second, nowhere in Scripture is a distinction made between "personal prayer language" and "the specific gift of tongues used in a public worship setting." Tongues is tongues is tongues, whether personal or corporate.

Last edited:
If anyone here challenges the Scriptural truth I present, let me ask: When you sought God for the baptism of His Spirit, how did you know you had received it? In over a decade of witnessing God's work, I've consistently observed that when individuals receive the baptism of the Holy Ghost, they speak in tongues—this is the unmistakable evidence I have seen time and again.

If anyone here challenges the Scriptural truth I present, let me ask: When you sought God for the baptism of His Spirit, how did you know you had received it? In over a decade of witnessing God's work, I've consistently observed that when individuals receive the baptism of the Holy Ghost, they speak in tongues—this is the unmistakable evidence I have seen time and again.
Everyone who is declared righteous by God receives the Holy Spirit, which is every believer. The evidence is a change of affections, a desire to live for and please God, obedience to Christ's commands, conviction of sin, and love for all people.

While it's true that speaking in tongues is a spiritual gift, it is not necessarily vital and life-giving because God doesn't decide to use it in everyone.

Why would you believe the baptism with the Holy Spirit is limited to a few and not everyone.

The promise of the Father is for all.

Therefore being exalted to the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, He poured out this which you now see and hear.
“For David did not ascend into the heavens, but he says himself:
The LORD said to my Lord,
“Sit at My right hand,
Till I make Your enemies Your footstool.” ’
“Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly that God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ.”
Now when they heard this, they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, “Men and brethren, what shall we do?”
Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call.” Acts 2:33-39

:salute

Everyone who is declared righteous by God receives the Holy Spirit, which is every believer. The evidence is a change of affections, a desire to live for and please God, obedience to Christ's commands, conviction of sin, and love for all people.
In reflecting on the consistent experience of witnessing individuals receive the Holy Ghost with the evidence of speaking in tongues, it becomes clear that this manifestation is not merely a historical event but a continuous and universal sign of God's unchanging work. Scripture affirms that God is the same yesterday, today, and forever (Hebrews 13:8). Therefore, the initial evidence of speaking in tongues, as seen in Acts 2, Acts 10, and Acts 19, is not an isolated phenomenon but a divine pattern established by God for His church. This sign transcends cultural, denominational, and temporal boundaries, serving as a powerful and unifying confirmation of the Spirit’s presence. Just as God gave the same Spirit to the Jews, the Gentiles, and believers throughout the early church, so too does He give the same initial evidence to those who seek Him today. God’s unchanging nature assures us that He remains faithful to His Word and His ways, providing a consistent and unmistakable sign of the baptism of the Holy Ghost that aligns with the scriptural precedent. The diversity of churches and traditions and personal opinions does not alter this divine pattern, for God’s purpose is to affirm His work in every believer through a tangible, shared experience of His Spirit, evidenced by speaking in tongues. This serves as both a personal assurance and a corporate witness to the power and reality of the Holy Ghost in the life of the believer.

In reflecting on the consistent experience of witnessing individuals receive the Holy Ghost with the evidence of speaking in tongues, it becomes clear that this manifestation is not merely a historical event but a continuous and universal sign of God's unchanging work. Scripture affirms that God is the same yesterday, today, and forever (Hebrews 13:8). Therefore, the initial evidence of speaking in tongues, as seen in Acts 2, Acts 10, and Acts 19, is not an isolated phenomenon but a divine pattern established by God for His church. This sign transcends cultural, denominational, and temporal boundaries, serving as a powerful and unifying confirmation of the Spirit’s presence. Just as God gave the same Spirit to the Jews, the Gentiles, and believers throughout the early church, so too does He give the same initial evidence to those who seek Him today. God’s unchanging nature assures us that He remains faithful to His Word and His ways, providing a consistent and unmistakable sign of the baptism of the Holy Ghost that aligns with the scriptural precedent. The diversity of churches and traditions and personal opinions does not alter this divine pattern, for God’s purpose is to affirm His work in every believer through a tangible, shared experience of His Spirit, evidenced by speaking in tongues. This serves as both a personal assurance and a corporate witness to the power and reality of the Holy Ghost in the life of the believer.
If "God’s purpose is to affirm His work in every believer through a tangible, shared experience of His Spirit, evidenced by speaking in tongues," that means that those who don't speak in tongues aren't truly saved. It then follows that none of the disciples were saved until they spoke in tongues. That, in turn, means that God gives the Holy Spirit to unbelievers, which I find a very odd position to take. It also means that if we have to pray to receive the Holy Spirit and so speak in tongues, that we must also work to earn our salvation. Now this becomes a false gospel as Christ's work on the cross is seen to be insufficient to secure our salvation.

The claim that one must speak in tongues in order to be saved is contrary to all that Scripture states, and to most every believer's personal experience. When someone puts their faith in Christ and makes him Lord of their life, that is when they receive the Holy Spirit, and that is why they begin to have changes of affection, desiring to live for Christ and turning away from worldly things, and feel conviction when they sin; that is the work of the Holy Spirit in them, without any speaking in tongues whatsoever.

The passages in Acts do not set a pattern for evidence of those who have received the Holy Spirit. They show that tongues was for an initial purpose--to give visible, immediate evidence of the outpouring of the Spirit on different people groups, both for the sake of those groups and for the Apostles. Note that I am not making an argument for cessationism, but rather that tongues most certainly is not evidence of receiving the Holy Spirit.

The most you can do is make a case for the baptism of the Holy Spirit being something subsequent to the initial receiving of the Holy Spirit upon believing in Christ. But, that is a tough sell as well.

That isn't what I was suggesting. I am referring to the gift of tongues not being for everyone.
It absolutely is for everyone sadly not all want to receive it, believe it, or some say not for me, or not available today. So very sad if anyone falls into this category.

There can be real tongue-speaking and fake-speaking. Scripture doesn't provide any way to really test it so how do you know they were all cases of genuine tongue speaking and not people faking it just because they thought they would go to hell for not doing it?

It absolutely is for everyone sadly not all want to receive it, believe it, or some say not for me, or not available today. So very sad if anyone falls into this category.
Not everyone speaks in tongues anymore than everyone is a prophet, healer, or exorcist. Just how it is.

There can be real tongue-speaking and fake-speaking. Scripture doesn't provide any way to really test it so how do you know they were all cases of genuine tongue speaking and not people faking it just because they thought they would go to hell for not doing it?
Yes possibly. But as far as I have seen those earnestly seeking would fear God if they tried and faked it.

Yes possibly. But as far as I have seen those earnestly seeking would fear God if they tried and faked it.
Well, the gospel in Oneness Pentecostalism can be reduced to "Speak in tongues or die." You're gonna get a lot of people saying, "How long you want me to speak in tongues?" Everyone who is put under that kind of pressure is going to try to perform. That's why in over a decade you've consistently observed tongues. In over a decade of places that don't pressure people to speak tongues, I have only observed it two times.

That isn't what I was suggesting. I am referring to the gift of tongues not being for everyone.

Yes. Exactly. That is what the promise of the Father is. The promise of the Holy Spirit.

The baptism with the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in tongues.

There is evidence when a person has received the Holy Spirit; the baptism with the Holy Spirit.

Look again at the scripture I posted.

Therefore being exalted to the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, He poured out this which you now see and hear. Acts 2:33

Back