Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The apostate church QUIZ ADDED 11 7 06

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
golf jack wrote: A Statistician at Rhema took a survey and found that Baptist's do the most sinning. And they are the ones that preach sin all the time.

They are also the ones who preach OSAS, that once you mouth those magic words (which vary slightly from church to church) and sincerely mean them with all your heart, you are eternally saved, all your sin, past, present and future, is forgiven forever and no amount of sinning can undo your ‘confession of faith.’
Then you get the fine print which is fine and dandy and goes like this: “Oh. And btw, you should, out of love for God and gratitude for his unspeakable gift, live a better life, cut back on the sin. Throw him a bone now and then so you can have the assurance that you are indeed saved. This seems to be ‘works’ but don’t worry, it’s just for rewards ( you know, to the overly ambitious, even greedy, xtians who aren’t satisfied with just a meager ordinary gold mansion in heaven, they want crowns. Don‘t even get to keep them either. All gonna be thrown down at Jesus‘ feet. Go figure…must be a pride thang…we hate pride)â€Â

Heh heh…

That’s like saying to the 400 pound glutton, “You don’t need to change your eating habits to be saved from obesity. Say these words and mean them, “I want to be thin.†Now believe and have faith and you will be thin. No matter how much you eat, or what you eat or how little exercise you get, you’re going to lose weight because of your faith. Oh, and you should cut back on the cheesecake just to show that you are serious about losing weight, but it‘s NOT NECESSARY to your weight loss.â€Â

We can see the folly in that, but when it comes to sin, we seem to want to be free of it’s consequences and not want to give up it’s pleasure so badly, we will dig through scripture day and night to find verses that let us believe spiritual foolishness just that blatant. We even seek out churches that will tickle our ears and embrace this apostasy.
:o

I think maybe I need to start claiming some prosperity...like a Rolls and a 30 year old blonde! :-D ...Yeah, that's the ticket.

Here are some parts of an interview Joel Osteen did with Larry King Live.
You decide..

On Moral Issues

King: How about issues that the Church has feelings about? Abortion? Same-sex marriages?

Osteen: Yeah. You know what, Larry? I don?t go there. I just?

King: You have thoughts, though.

Osteen: I have thoughts. I just, you know, I don?t think that a same-sex marriage is the way God intended it to be. I don?t think abortion is the best. I think there are other, you know, a better way to live your life. But I?m not going to condemn those people. I tell them all the time our church is open to everybody.

Even though the Bible speaks very plainly about these two issues and condemns them as sinful Mr. Osteen simply does not go there when he addresses his congregation and the multitudes on television. Personally he does not believe that same-sex marriage the plan for God, but he apparently lacks sufficient conviction to share his beliefs, which I hope are based on a biblical world-view, with his followers. He lacks the same moral fiber concerning abortion. It is poor leadership not to biblically address the tough moral problems in our society. Frankly, we are in the condition we are in because good men kept silent while the plague of immorality grew in our midst.

I agree with Osteen that our role as pastors and Christians is not to condemn people who are homosexuals or women who have had abortions. We are however to make them acutely aware of what God position is on these issues and the pardon He offers by grace alone in His Son.

King: You don?t call them sinners?

Osteen: I don?t.

King: Is that a word you don?t use?

Osteen: I don?t use it. I never thought about it. But I probably don?t?So I don?t go down the road of condemning.

Jesus called people sinners and taught a great deal about sin. He used the word and concept quite a bit (as do all the biblical writers). Calling someone a ?sinner? is not condemning them necessarily it is a statement of fact. We are all sinners in need of the free grace of God in Christ Jesus. To neglect to tell the lost of their condition before God is to send them happily on their way to hell. One caller did challenge Joel regarding salvation by asking if Joel believed that Jesus Christ was the only way to the father. Osteen replied ?Yes, I would agree with her.? (I?ve combined Osteen?s comments regarding salvation).

King: So then a Jew is not going to heaven?

Osteen: No. Here?s my thing, Larry, is I can?t judge somebody?s heart. You know? Only god can look at somebody?s heart, and so --- I don?t know. To me, it?s not my business to say, you know, this one is or this one isn?t. I just say, here?s what the bible teaches and I?m going to put my faith in Christ.

King: What if you?re Jewish or Muslim, you don?t accept at all?

Osteen: You know, I?m very careful about saying who would and wouldn?t go to heaven, I don?t know?

King: If you believe you have to believe in Christ? They?re wrong, aren?t they?

Osteen: Well, I don?t know if I believe they?re wrong?I spent a lot of time in India with my father. I don?t know all about their religion. But I know they love God. And I don?t know. I?ve seen their sincerity. So I don?t know. I know for me, and what the Bible teaches, I want to have a relationship with Jesus.

I hope from these statements you can see the dire need for a sound seminary education. Here Osteen is on a global television show and he either cannot, because he does not know; or will not give a clear message regarding salvation in Christ and in Him alone.

Joel cannot have it both ways. Either Jesus Christ is the way the truth and the life and no man comes to the Father but by Him or He isn?t the only way. This is a very confused young man with no convictions concerning the unique claims that Christ made concerning Himself. All Joel had to do was quote for Mr. King the following text and let the chips fall where they may.

That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. John 3:15-18

?But I know they love God.? Oh really, then I guess the Holy Spirit was wrong when He had Paul cite Isa. 41:6 in his letter to the Romans:

As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one: There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God. They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one. Their throat is an open sepulchre; with their tongues they have used deceit; the poison of asps is under their lips: Whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness: Their feet are swift to shed blood: Destruction and misery are in their ways: And the way of peace have they not known: There is no fear of God before their eyes. Romans 3:10-18

Love God, the natural unconverted man is at enmity with the God of the Bible, which Joel should know and not be ashamed to state clearly. Joel sounds very much like a man who is actually ashamed of the Gospel. When he could be speaking words of life to untold millions of viewers, he balks and refuses to stand up for the truth for the sake of the approval of fallen men. What a shame indeed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is more on Mr osteen. All this from one interview

:o Fontana, California. Hello: Caller: Yes --- Joel?

Osteen: Yes.

Caller: I have a question for you. We?re a small congregational church here and we?d like to come and see you next month, but you charge to get in and we?re a very poor congregation. Why do you charge to get in to your appearances?

Osteen: Yes. The only reason we charge ? I hated to charge. The only we charge?

King: Do you charge at the church?

Osteen: No, no, never. Never.

King: When you travel?

Osteen: Yes. The only reason we did it is because when we went to New York Madison Square Garden they wouldn?t let us do an event without doing a ticketed event because of the crowds. We sold it out two nights and we turned so many people away in Anaheim and Atlanta, it was just a shame to do that.

When I was viewing the interview I had the exact same question. Osteen?s response was very feeble and dishonest. Billy Graham has held crusades at Madison Square Garden and never charged an admission, how come they ?made? Joel charge one? All that Osteen had to do was simply pay the rental fee for the Garden and give away the tickets until the venue was filled. Even Benny Hinn, as money grubbing as he is has never charged for a miracle crusade! What is more after people pay the fee to listen to Joel he has a multitude of tables set up inside of each venue selling his books, tapes, and CD?s. So Joel is not only guaranteed a dollar amount per seat, he makes additional money from the sales of his materials on top of it. Whatever happened to holding an event and asking for a donation from those in attendance? If they wish to purchase your materials on their way out fine and dandy.[v]

Joel: Hey, you know, you need to write the church, because we?ll make a way that anybody can get in to those events. I don?t like charging.

King: What do you charge?

Osteen: $10.00.

I am glad to hear that if one writes Lakewood Church Joel has promised to make a way for anybody to get in. I plan to write them because he is coming to Detroit and I will not pay a cent to hear him or anyone preach. My question is if Joel does not like charging, then why does he do it? Who is running the ship? It is not a question of money, he has enough money personally to bankroll the events and charge nothing at all. I am also curious to know where the proceeds go. Does the profit go to Osteen personally? Does it go to Lakewood Church?

The arena at Madison Square Garden seats 19,522 people, at $10.00 person that equals $195,220 per evening. Multiply this by two sold-out evenings you have $390,440, plus add in additional merchandise revenue. So in two evenings Osteen took in around half a million dollars. When he comes to the Palace of Auburn Hills, Mi. we have a seating capacity of 22,076, assuming he sells out this venue (minus the cost of my ticket) he will make a little over a quarter of a millions dollars. He has 20 events scheduled for 2005. At a minimum Osteen will take in somewhere in the neighborhood of ten million dollars in appearances alone. When you add this amount to his undoubtedly large salary as senior pastor at Lakewood, plus the income from his best selling books along with the accompanying ?journal? you can understand why Joel is always smiling?smiling all the way to the bank.

I would like to believe Joel is sincere and as down to earth as he attempts to be on television. Yet I am beginning to have my doubts about his sincerity as I begin to do the math and see the marketing. I have always been concerned over his lack of a sound biblical message, but now I am beginning to believe he is just another charismatic star, getting as much money out of sign-seeking people as fast as he can before the next superstar eclipses him. He is a young man and there is time for him to repent and obtain the pastoral training he so desperately needs. He might even wake up one day and see the poverty and suffering of his brothers and sisters in Christ around the world and begin to divest himself of his millions and actually live to give to those in need. Well at least that is my prayer for Mr. Osteen. I will keep you apprised of what happens regarding my ticket request or any other insights regarding the man with America?s largest congregation.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
and one more little bit.

Law & Gospel

Regarding Theology

King: ? But when the people call you cotton candy theology. Someone said you?re very good but there is no spiritual nourishment. I don?t know what that means?

Osteen: I think, I hear it meaning a lot of different things. One I think a lot of it is that I?m not condemning people?

I could have told Larry King what people (like me and others) mean by that statement. We mean that Joel offers people no genuine spiritual ?meat? but only gives them spiritual Twinkies. Yes, Joel is engaging; he smiles a lot and is upbeat. Those are good characteristics to have as a public speaker; however they have absolutely nothing to do with the truth of God?s Word.

Joel equates the criticism he receives regarding the abysmal lack of theological content in his message from other ministers to the fact that he is not ?condemning people.? This means that Joel does not present the law of God to the people in his messages. The law magnifies God?s perfection, shows forth His righteous standard, and convicts us all of our lack of ability in and of ourselves to fulfill His requirements. This is called the second use of the Law in Evangelical theology ?God's law exposes the reality of human sinfulness. In Latin that was ?usus theologicus,? the law's role in "driving us to Christ."

In Joel?s mind he is taking the moral high ground by not ?condemning? people. The reality is just the opposite. He is failing to carry out his sacred trust as a pastor by not showing them their desperately sinful condition by presenting the fullness of God?s Word to them. He is doing a grave disservice to the 30,000 people who listen to him at Lakewood and untold multitudes that hear him on television or read his best selling books.

Because Osteen refuses to preach the Law his presentation of the Gospel is anemic at best and not a gospel message at all at its worst. Any sound preaching will present both Law and Gospel in its content.

This difference between the Law and the Gospel is the height of knowledge in Christendom. Every person and all persons who assume or glory in the name of Christian should know and be able to state this difference. If this ability is lacking, one cannot tell a Christian from a heathen or a Jew; of such supreme importance is this differentiation. This is why St. Paul so strongly insists on a clean-cut and proper differentiating of these two doctrines.[ii]

The other word of God is not Law or commandment, nor does it require anything of us; but after the first Word, that of the Law, has done this work and distressful misery an poverty have been produced in the heart, God comes and offers his lovely, living Word, and promises, pledges, and obligates himself to give grace and help, that we may get out of this misery and that all sins not only be forgiven but also blotted out and that love and delight to fulfill the law may be given besides. See, this divine promise of his grace and of the forgiveness of his is properly called Gospel. And I say again and yet again that you should never understand Gospel to mean anything but the divine promise of his grace and of the forgiveness of sin. For this is why hitherto St. Paul's epistles were not understood and cannot be understood by our adversaries even now; they do not know what Law and Gospel really are. For they consider Christ a Legislator and the Gospel nothing but the teaching of new laws. This is nothing else but locking up the gospel and obscuring everything. For "Gospel" is Greek and means "good news," because in it is proclaimed the saving doctrine of life, of the divine promise, and grace and the forgiveness of sins are offered. Therefore works do not belong to the gospel; for it is not laws but faith alone, because it is nothing whatever but the promise and offer of divine grace. He, then, who believes the Gospel receives grace and the Holy Spirit. Thereby the heart becomes glad and joyful in God and then keeps the Law gladly and freely, without the fear of punishment and without the expectation of reward; for it is sated and satisfied with that grace of God by which the law has been satisfied.[iii]

Sounds like the apastate preacher to me. :-?

D46 said:
I think maybe I need to start claiming some prosperity...like a Rolls and a 30 year old blonde! :-D ...Yeah, that's the ticket.

Creflo dollar has 6 black rolls royce. He said God blessed him with one for everyday of the week :o

Think of how many world vision children those 6 rolls could have fed. Even one of them. :-?
Man of God or man of the flesh. I wonder how many sheep crefo fleeced for his Rolls fleet

jgredline said:
Creflo dollar has 6 black rolls royce. He said God blessed him with one for everyday of the week :o

Think of how many world vision children those 6 rolls could have fed. Even one of them. :-?
Man of God or man of the flesh. I wonder how many sheep crefo fleeced for his Rolls fleet

What are Christians commanded to drive, or not drive?
Who is allowed to have a Rolls Royce? Or a car lot full of them? How much money is a Christian allowed to have before he loses his salvation?

What do you drive?
How many children could we feed if we sold it for ya?

Here's a thought. Perhaps someone at the Rolls Royce factory is using their income to feed a few kids. If we stopped Christians from buying them, how many people would suffer?

I mentioned before that I went to school with a kid that prayed that he would grow up to be a preacher, and that he would be a millionaire. He is both.

Wouldn't it be great if the rest of the body of Christ was blessed by other Christians blessings rather than becoming jealous and questioning their walk with the Lord?

I praise God that Creflo is doing well.

I can't help but wonder how many people that he has led to the cross in all of his years of teaching and preaching the gospel of Jesus Christ. Isn't it amazing how far out of whack my focus is?

I praise God for the Christians who own airplanes and use them to take the gospel around the world.
I praise God for the health, wealth and prosperity of His people. I praise God for the people who preach health, wealth, and prosperity.

And I also pray that God will remove the false teachers and preachers from the podium, no matter what they drive.

And lastly I pray that he will stop the stupid Christian bashing Christian game that the devil has you two *edit* doing.

*edit* my apologies for the emotional outburst.

AMEN AND AMEN, GABBY. Go for your dreams. I simply say that God has blessed me so I can bless others.

May God bless, golfjack

Sorry little angel,
but I disagree with you. How you can justify someone having 6 rolls royce in jESUS name is a mystery to me, but hey, Thats your opinion.

For the record inspight of the fact that I will loose some reward in heaven, I drive a 99 Dodge ram pick up. To be honest with you, I can afford to buy a Rolls royce If I choose to. Instead I have multiple Kids from World vision My wife and I sponsor as well as an orphanage in Mexico and we give allot of money to missions.. We give to Samaritans purse and the Salvation army as well.

I know that I am in the minority here among these wolf teachers and that I am an idiot according to your post (and you talk about Christian bashing)
but the real victims here are the people who send in their money to sow a seed and wait for it to grow, while people like creflo run over the garden with there Rolls Royce and so the seed never grows.. That is what is a shame.
:-?

A little something on these wolf preachers

After many of her family members joined World Changers Church International under the charismatic leadership of the Rev. Creflo A. Dollar Jr., Florence Duncan decided to give it a try. But what Duncan says she found was closer to a cult than to Christianity.

"It's horrible, just absolutely horrible. My whole nuclear family is in this thing except me," says Duncan, a devout Christian whose distress and exasperation over the situation is evident in her tone. "I'm the only odd man out."

World Changers is one of the fastest-growing churches in the nation. Founded in an elementary school 11 years ago, the church is now forced to hire shuttle bus drivers and police officers to accommodate its Sunday services crowd. The church's $7 million dome on Burdette Road in College Park is the largest church building in the Atlanta area.

Many of its 15,000 members, among them Duncan's family, have been caught up in the promise of prosperity. And the promise of worldly riches says Duncan, a graduate of Atlanta Christian College who is working on her masters at Southern Christian University in Montgomery, Alabama, is "just Humanism dressed up in Christian clothes."

The message of the "Prosperity Gospel," which World Changers teaches, is simple: "You can be rich, healthy and trouble free. Jesus was rich and God wants you to be rich." One look at the church's facility, called the World Dome, is enough to convince you that it works -- for somebody.

Sunday morning at the cavernous dome can be a moving experience. An army of ushers direct you to your seat in a state-of-the-art auditorium that is devoid of traditional church pews and instead, sports 8,000 plush theater-style seats. White collection buckets can be found alongside each aisle. The church's bookstore is filled with books touting prosperity such as, "Confession Brings Possession," and "How To Bring Home The Wealth."

Of course, the prosperity message is not just limited to World Changers. Two of the movement's elder leaders, Fred Price and Kenneth Copeland, can be viewed on a total 420 television stations worldwide and have published 67 books.

But some religious observers say the Prosperity Gospel is out of sync with the substance of Jesus' teachings, which emphasizes selflessness and spiritual virtue.

J.R. Hudson was a member of World Changers for five years and graduated from their school of ministry. But his quest for true knowledge of the scriptures caused him to stray from the fold and persuaded him that the teachings were anti-scriptural.

Hudson contends that the Prosperity Gospel takes advantage of people who are not grounded in Biblical teachings. It tells them they can be wealthy and always healthy and never have problems.

But Hudson says the only one prospering is Dollar, who wears expensive suits, drives a Rolls Royce and owns his own Lear jet to whisk him across the country spreading his message of prosperity. According to Dollar's teachings, if he didn't look prosperous, how could he gain more followers?

Such thinking is one of the reasons both Duncan and Hudson call the movement a cult.

"The leader of a cult is generally someone very charismatic," says Duncan. She characterizes him as charismatic, manipulative and with so much personality that his word carries more than the Bible's -- although members would deny that.

The other sticky issue is the enormous pressure the church places on members to tithe, or give ten percent of their earnings to the church. Unlike traditional churches, many of which also encourage tithing, World Changers goes further by tracking its members' tithing records through membership numbers and computer records. Those who don't tithe in accordance with the pledge signed during new member orientation are ostracized from the church's ministries. You can attend the church, but you can't participate in any of its official business.

Hudson says members are also taught that failure to tithe will result in the devil wrecking your car or something else terrible happening to you. Everything bad -- and good -- that happens in a believer's life is attributed to whether or not the believer tithed properly.

The Rev. Marque Payne, author of "Tithing: The Truth About It," has conducted Christian Finance conferences throughout the South and studied over 1,000 scriptures involving Christian finances. He says that what World Changers teaches is not what the Bible teaches.

"It is literally another gospel," he writes. "The Bible makes it clear that you cannot serve two Gods -- God and Mammon. Mammon being greed and the desire for materialistic things above everything else."

Hudson describes Dollar as a very sincere, compassionate, strong-willed man who loves his family. "If you knew him you'd like him," he says. "I don't have anything bad that I can say about him personally.... He's very sincere. He thinks he's right. There's a whole lot of people who think that but the thing is you can be sincere and be sincerely wrong."

Hudson says that Dollar leads a very insulated life surrounded by what's called Personal Pastor's Assistants, or PPAs. In laymen's terms that's bodyguards. Those PPAs train both physically and technically in the tactics used by the Secret Service.

"People can't just readily walk up and talk to him," says Hudson. "Especially on his way to the pulpit no one is allowed to touch him because they might disturb the anointedness on his life. He's supposedly so Godly he can't be touched."

Dollar also teaches that his word is beyond reproof. "They even use scripture to support that they shouldn't be corrected in any way," says Hudson.

Payne says that the notion that church leaders shouldn't be questioned or corrected is one of the key characteristics of cults.

"The foundations of a cult are don't question, don't speak out of turn, don't go study for yourself outside of the guidelines that they give you," Payne says.

Duncan agrees that the followers are brainwashed by Dollar's teachings.

"When someone does criticize them they come out strong against them calling them devils and the like," says Hudson. "Word of Faith ministers are not going to respond to media or critics or anything like that. They're pretty much focused in on their own little deal and their teachings."

The Rev. T.A. Body of One Accord Community Church also hosts a daily radio talk show on WGUN which addresses the issues of false doctrine. He says that people call in by the thousands who have left the teachings of World Changers.

"I've asked him [Dollar] for a public debate but he won't give it to me," says Body. "I've asked him to even call into my show and correct me if I'm wrong. He hasn't ever asked me to call him and correct him. Because I certainly would."

Body says that Dollar constantly teaches his congregation that they can be just like him. "The person who works at McDonalds cannot expect to be the president of a bank by that message," he says. "He lives in a very high lifestyle and he tells the members you can acquire this kind of lifestyle if you have faith in God."

Hudson says the emperor has no clothes. "He's riding to church in a Rolls Royce and flying a Lear jet across the country and here these people are still riding buses. They're not getting any wealthier. Look in the parking lot. There's too many beat up cars."

"I thought it could work," says Demetrius King a former member. "It sounds good and you would want it to work. It's as simple as one, two three -- tithe and you will prosper." King's financial situation didn't get any better and he left the church disillusioned.

"It leaves a person spiritually bankrupt and empty trying to use formulas that do not work," says Payne. "It leaves a person wondering in a daze and having to reassess their whole belief in what Christianity is."

"World Changers teaches a theology and doctrine that people want to hear," says Duncan. "There's nothing wrong with wanting to prosper, but to present that as the central core of the teachings of Christianity is a deception and lie. I'd say that they would have just about as much chance of gaining abundant prosperity by purchasing a lottery ticket."

Unless you have me on 'ignore', jg - and why you would do that, heaven only knows - would you respond to my post that asked a few simple questions of you? You have taken over this thread with your rantings and your 'holier-than-thou' Bible-thumping and so I repeat my previous post. Would you please respond to the below ...?

You began this thread by talking of apostasy and false teachings and so on as though you are the authority on what is or what is not to be construed as apostasy. The reason for this self-appointed position of authority is because 'you are born again and Spirit-filled', is it not? Correct me if I'm wrong.

From my perspective it would appear that you have set yourself up as some kind of spiritural guru, an all-knowing oracle with a mind that is closed to all who might have something else to say or who otherwise oppose your beliefs in any way. These people must therefore be teaching this evil apostasy ...right? Again, correct me if I'm wrong.

My main question: Do you REALLY believe that YOU have the truth, the whole truth, nothing but the truth, so help you God ...?

Please answer the questions at the earliest opportunity.

Sput
I did not see your post. Certainly I don't have you on ignore. I did sighn off the other threads as they were getting old. Your theology is differant that mine and if we can agree that we have differant beliefs as far as hell, goes, well then so be it.
As far as this thread goes, I am far from an expert on this and certainly don't claim to be. This is about the Apososy of the church and one does not have to look far to prove it.

If I am a false teacher, show me and I will repent of that.. If I have lied, show me and I will repent of that as well. I am a sinner saved by grace through Jesus Christ. Many don't believe they are sinners.. How this teaching came to be is beyond me..

Sput I have said somethings to you that I should not have said and I appologize to you publically. I should have simply let the word of God speak, instead of adding my Opinion to it. I will certainly do my best to that with you in future debates as I hope you would do the same for me.

For now I am off to do some more research on the apostasy of the church.
javier

It would be nice if we could just discuss the 'celebrity' preachers already mentioned without getting so emotional and personal about it.

I have to agree with jgredline concerning extreme riches and materialism, those things tend to corrupt an individual more than they work righteousness, holiness, or humlity.
Gods word is our standard, and there was a good reason that Jesus said what He did in, Matthew 19:23-24.
The true test will come when God removes those material things to see who will still love and serve Him when He is the only one left to depend on.
I believe the word when it says, 'everything that can be shaken will be shaken'.

What did Jesus tell the church of laodicia?...
Rev. 3:17-18
Because you say, ‘I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing’â€â€and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich; and white garments, that you may be clothed, that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see.

jg, I had already read those transcripts between Joel Osteen and Larry King. It made me feel embarrassed for Joel.
He couldn't carry the ridicule that it would cost him to go against the ways of the world, actually he couldn't carry the weight of the cross.
Sad, but just another sign of the times.

destiny said:
jg, I had already read those transcripts between Joel Osteen and Larry King. It made me feel embarrassed for Joel.
He couldn't carry the ridicule that it would cost him to go against the ways of the world, actually he couldn't carry the weight of the cross.
Sad, but just another sign of the times.

Thanks for your post Destiny.
I actually saw this interview when it took place. I was sitting in my Living room with my oldest daughter (she will be 21 next month) and says to me. Dad, did this ''man of God'' just say that all roads lead to heaven? I said Yep. She says and he is supposed to be the posterchild for Christianity? I said Yep. She, said, well then he is a Hypocrite. I said Yep.. You see what hurt about this is that my oldest Daughter is not saved. She grew up in church, went to Christian schools her entire life and found many Joel Osteens along the way. The Rest of my Kids are all saved and so it breaks my heart about my oldest one. I have faith in God that indeed he will save her because I and many are praying for her.

Some of my favorite quotes:

W. A. Criswell describes the false teacher as follows: ... A suave, affable, personable, scholarly man who claims to be the friend of Christ. He preaches in the pulpit, he writes learned books, he publishes articles in the religious magazines. He attacks Christianity from within. He makes the church and the school a lodging place for every unclean and hateful bird. He leavens the meal with the doctrine of the Sadducees.

Darby said, The devil is never more satanic than when he carries a Bible.So these men, with Bible in hand, pose as ministers of righteousness, give out well-known evangelical hymns, and use scriptural expressions. But all this is camouflage for heretical teachings and corrupt morals.

jg..
W. A. Criswell describes the false teacher as follows: ... A suave, affable, personable, scholarly man who claims to be the friend of Christ. He preaches in the pulpit, he writes learned books, he publishes articles in the religious magazines. He attacks Christianity from within. He makes the church and the school a lodging place for every unclean and hateful bird. He leavens the meal with the doctrine of the Sadducees.

Darby said, The devil is never more satanic than when he carries a Bible.So these men, with Bible in hand, pose as ministers of righteousness, give out well-known evangelical hymns, and use scriptural expressions. But all this is camouflage for heretical teachings and corrupt morals.
Thats so true
And a false teacher is popular with the masses, and is an excellent philosopher and humanist.
Theres not much room for the gift of discernment these days either.
I don't feel like I fit in anywhere because I see things that bother me so much.
Every chance I get I hang out with a few believers who are like minded and feel the same way, but the churches around here pretty much endorse and suffer the trickle down effect from men like Rick Warren, "The Kansas city prophets" ...etc.
It seems they all want a 'King', just like Israel thought they needed Saul because they thought God wasn't enough.
I know theres still some good churches out there, but they are getting fewer and harder to find.

PS..your daughter will come around, God is faithful to answer the prayers of those who love Him.

Here is a pretty good article I found on the web. You be the judge.

(NOTE: I want to be honest and fair, so all quotes are footnoted. Any time I used a quote that I could not personally verify, it is preceeded by the word "alledgely", as in "Copeland allegedly said...". Also, in August 2004 I submitted this article to the Kenneth Copeland ministry and asked for their feedback. I have yet to receive a response.)

Introduction
What's Wrong with the Prosperity Gospel?
False Promise #1: Financial Prosperity for Believers
False Promise #2: Health and Healing for Believers
False Promise #3: Victory and Success for Believers
The Blessings of Suffering, Sickness, and Hardship
Blessed by God?
Conclusion
Footnotes
Why worry about doctrine anyway? Click HERE to see what the Bible says.

Introduction: So What's The Big Deal?
Kenneth and Gloria Copeland teach some wonderful things: We must have confidence in God's Word and obey it; we must resist the Devil; we should praise God, and boldly pray, and have faith; we should serve God and love others and give sacrificially. But the Copeland's also have some dangerous teachings that are not only unbiblical, but unhealthy and even harmful. Satan does not feed us poison outright he hides it in the meat.

I have no desire to slander a well-meaning ministry. But I believe the Copeland's teaching is very flawed--so flawed that, if followed wholeheartedly, it can only lead to disappointment, frustration and disillusionment...or worse. That bothers me. The Bible is very clear that false teachings are harmful and should be exposed (in humility and love). But don't take my word for it; turn to the Scriptures. I will quote a lot of Scripture in this article. Please keep an open Bible next to you as you read so you can test what I am saying.

The Copeland's are leaders in what is commonly referred to as the Word of Faith Movement or the “Prosperity Gospelâ€Â, which hinges on three false doctrines:

1. God's will for believers is continual prosperity, health, and victory.

2. Faith is a "force"--similar to electricity or gravity1 --and the words of the Bible are literal containers of that force2 . This "faith force" is released through positively speaking and believing God's promises, resulting in financial prosperity, health, healing, success and victory.

3. This "faith power" can be neutralized by doubt, negative thoughts, and sin in the believer's life, effectively blocking God’s blessing.

Word of Faith teachers misinterpret Scriptures and take them out of context to make all this sound biblical. Copeland justifies his unscholarly approach by allegedly claiming that "Believers are not to be led by logic. We are not even to be led by good sense"3. This attitude allows him to play fast and loose with the Scriptures, bending them to fit his interpretations. For instance, Copeland gets his definition of faith from the King James Version of Hebrews 11:1, which describes faith as "the substance of things hoped for...". Therefore, he concludes, faith must be an actual substance--an invisible “power sourceâ€Â4. But the original Greek says nothing of the kind. It simply communicates a concept of "assurance" or "confident trust".

Faith is not a power source. The real power is in the object of our faith (God), whereas Copeland teaches that the power is in the faith itself ("you need to have faith in your faith"5 ). This is a HUGE difference! Here’s why it matters:

When hard times hit (and they eventually do), what are we to make of them? Could it be that God has some sovereign reason for suffering, or that He uses it to teach us or to help us grow? Copeland says no! In Word Faith theology failure, sickness, and hardship are always attacks from Satan and are never God's will. The Bible, however, says otherwise. (1 Peter 3:17; 4:19; 1 John 5:18).

Here are twelve reasons why I believe this teaching is very harmful, followed by a critique of three false promises of Copeland’s prosperity gospel:

To read more click on the link.
http://www.cedricstudio.com/personal/copeland.html

jgredline said:
Sput
I did not see your post. Certainly I don't have you on ignore. I did sighn off the other threads as they were getting old. Your theology is differant that mine and if we can agree that we have differant beliefs as far as hell, goes, well then so be it.
As far as this thread goes, I am far from an expert on this and certainly don't claim to be. This is about the Apososy of the church and one does not have to look far to prove it.

If I am a false teacher, show me and I will repent of that.. If I have lied, show me and I will repent of that as well. I am a sinner saved by grace through Jesus Christ. Many don't believe they are sinners.. How this teaching came to be is beyond me..

Sput I have said somethings to you that I should not have said and I appologize to you publically. I should have simply let the word of God speak, instead of adding my Opinion to it. I will certainly do my best to that with you in future debates as I hope you would do the same for me.

For now I am off to do some more research on the apostasy of the church.
javier

Thanks for the response, jg, but please make sure that you DO have the truth, the whole truth, so help you God BEFORE you call others apostates.

For everyone who is wrong there is someone else who is right, and vice verse. If the SDA Church (which you claim is an apostate Church) claims to have the truth, the whole truth ...etc. then it TOO has to stand accountable to the same criteria (the Bible) as do other Christian denominations. When I compare its doctrines to those of mainstream Christianity, however, I SINCERELY believe that it holds it's own. I'm not at all impressed by denominational 'tags' as such so I am not defending the SDA Church out of blind loyalty. I've asked many questions about SDA doctrines over the years and how they correlate with the scriptures. I will do so again if the need arises.

By the way, many people DO hold many varied beliefs as gleaned from the very same Bible. So, as long as these beliefs differ from those of mainstream Christianity could you not therefore take the more gentle approach and say that, as far as you are concerned at least, they are merely 'wrong'? Or do you HAVE to take the more severe tone and call ALL Christian beliefs that differ from (your own) mainstream beliefs as therefore being 'apostate' ...? I mean, is it possible that someone can be 'sincerely' wrong in their beliefs without accusing them of being 'sinister' in the bargain?

I guess what I'm asking is ...what is YOUR definition of an 'apostate church' anyway since SO MANY denominations differ in their beliefs from the other? Which denomination is going out of its way to preach 'Satan' ...?

Sput
The answer to your question is simple. Compare it to Rick Warrens :-D

Just kidding. I am saving him for a little later.

God gave us the Book of ACTS and the seven Churches of Rev to compare to.

jgredline said:
Sput
The answer to your question is simple. Compare it to Rick Warrens :-D

Just kidding. I am saving him for a little later.

God gave us the Book of ACTS and the seven Churches of Rev to compare to.

Who is Rick Warrens ...? I've never heard of him ...really ...

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back