Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

The Church Throughout Revelations

I think she might be referring to The Justinian Code

Thanks Willie, I have found that one before but the dates don't match. The site claims 538, but their actual copy of it does not say anything about 538. So I thought there must be another decree.
" One Hundred and Thirty-First New Constitution.
[Novella 131 was issued in 545 A.D.] The Emperor Justinian to Peter, Most Glorious Imperial Praetorian Prefect. PREFACE. " http://www.thethirdangelsmessage.com/justinian_code.php

The RCC was declared the state religion of the empire and was given authority, by this decree, as to what was considered Christian doctrine, that is true. There was not freedom of religion. This was mostly upheld against those who did not believe in the Trinity.
" Therefore We order that the sacred, ecclesiastical rules which were adopted and confirmed by the four Holy Councils, that is to say, that of the three hundred and eighteen bishops held at Nicea, that of the one hundred and fifty bishops held at Constantinople, the first one of Ephesus, where Nestorius was condemned, and the one assembled at Chalcedon, where Eutyches and Nestorius were anathematized, shall be considered as laws. We accept the dogmas of these four Councils as sacred writings, and observe their rules as legally effective."
So the way I read it, the RCC was declared the official religion of the empire. But I don't see where they had control over the government outside of religion. That was still in the hands of the emperors. It was never a theocracy it was always secular.

Napoleon made a big mistake when he kicked the RCC and the Jews out of France. He thought is would increase his control over the people and that blew up in his face. By 1800, Napoleon asked the RCC to come back to France and the Jews too somewhere right around that same time. I had just run into this history while reading the history of Lorraine, France where my husband's family immigrated from in the 1880s.

So I guess my major contention with this idea of the RCC having so much power for 1260 yrs is that the Roman Empire was a theocracy and then became secular. The truth that I see is that it was never a theocracy.

she is in part quoting what adam Clarke says.

If this view originated with him, then perhaps Adam Clarke was susceptible to newspaper eschatology just as much as we are. The Vatican fell in his lifetime (1762-1832) so naturally he tried to tie the event into his view of endtimes. Unfortunately it's just sloppy because the significance of the years/events don't really match up. It also reveals a graceless prejudice against the RCC.

Christians been chasing headlines for ever i guess.... Some how they seem to over shadow the Scripture

If this view originated with him, then perhaps Adam Clarke was susceptible to newspaper eschatology just as much as we are. The Vatican fell in his lifetime (1762-1832) so naturally he tried to tie the event into his view of endtimes. Unfortunately it's just sloppy because the significance of the years/events don't really match up. It also reveals a graceless prejudice against the RCC.
you will find Clarke, henry like us all were trying to figure out what the events of His return were. I never said that I agreed with both Henry, Clarke and barnes on their end times views fully. we all really wont know until we die and or are alive when he comes back.

she is in part quoting what adam Clarke says.

I know nothing of Adam Clarke and all I have written is straight from scripture and a little history. This is my own work done through the Holy Spirit teaching me.

I know nothing of Adam Clarke and all I have written is straight from scripture and a little history. This is my own work done through the Holy Spirit teaching me.
its not new, not at all. I think both henry, barnes and Clarke say the same.

I want to thank for_his_glory for sticking her neck out here... this took some guts .... :)

Thank you Reba. It has never bothered me if one does not agree with what I post as I know everyone is on different levels of learning. I had to learn to let go of everything I was ever taught since certain teachings just didn't set right in my spirit. That's when I started digging deeper into the word of God comparing scripture with scripture and OT with NT. All I can do is put it out there and let each one decide what they want to believe.

Thank you Reba. It has never bothered me if one does not agree with what I post as I know everyone is on different levels of learning. I had to learn to let go of everything I was ever taught since certain teachings just didn't set right in my spirit. That's when I started digging deeper into the word of God comparing scripture with scripture and OT with NT. All I can do is put it out there and let each one decide what they want to believe.
So did i and we are opposite on this :)

Willie it won't open. all I get is a blank page, but thanks anyway.
Sorry. I don't know what to do. I just tried the link directly from my post, and it is working fine. (Maybe try <REFRESHING> it?)

The church site is SPV St. Petersburg.

www.stpetevineyard.org

Maybe you can go that route, and open the SERMON SERIES where it says [Click Here]

Last edited:
Here's the first of the series on Rescuing Revelation that I said I would post.
http://stpetevineyard.sermon.net/main/main/20214469
So I liked that he pointed out that our definition of the word revelation has been distorted. Even the Merriam dictionary has gone with a contemporary definition and related it to the Bible. Yike. That is not the definition of that word in Strong's.
I also liked that he said Revelation is not a crystal ball to see the future. It is a revelation (revealing) of Jesus Christ.
I am looking forward to the next message from Chris. It will be interesting to hear what he has to say.

On a lighter note, I can see why you like him, birds of a feather. He says that he gets peeved at an incorrect pronunciation of Revelation and that he is a smart alec. :biggrin

Nope that didn't work either, must be my computer. There probably isn't any written version is there.

Nope that didn't work either, must be my computer. There probably isn't any written version is there.
If you haven't you may try typing the home page address directly into your address bar. It seems weird that you can link to so many things but not even the home page. So it could be when you try to pull it from this site. Kind of like a double maneuver for your computer.

Back