Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

THE FORMULA FOR SALVATION

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
I'm a bit late to this and have only skimmed through the posts.
But yes, God has given us a "formula" and I'm surprised no-one has quoted this.

Jesus said "He who believes and is baptized will be saved" (Mk 16:16)
He also told the apostles to "Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you" (Mt 28:19-20).

That does not mean that is the only way one can be saved. God is sovereign and can save whoever he wants to and for whatever reasons he chooses. But that is the way he has given us and we cannot do it our way.

General complex greeting to all churches
7 messengers
7 different messages (formulas?)
7 different churches
One way

The messengers would present the individual message.

Those who heard could respond.

It does appear the details were to the angels. Which would be presented to the individual churches.

Pretty much complex for a redneck.
eddif

He also told the apostles to "Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you" (Mt 28:19-20).

That does not mean that is the only way one can be saved. God is sovereign and can save whoever he wants to and for whatever reasons he chooses. But that is the way he has given us and we cannot do it our way.
Formulas are so much easier than relationships. We have the outcome under control in formulars.

You're contradicting yourself. You say that God has given us a formula, then say that does not mean that is the only way one can be saved. So God is confused?

You are saved by believing in Jesus Christ as your Savior. Period.

Whatever this formula is, we know that you can accomplish it with both your hands & feet nailed to wood.

Luk 23:43
And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.

I don't see a contradiction.

No, we are saved by God's grace. Period.
As I wrote earlier... You are saved by believing in Jesus Christ as your Savior. Period.

John 3:16, "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

Acts 16:30-31: "He then brought them out and asked, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” They replied, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved—you and your household.”

Is there something about this that is difficult to understand?

As I wrote earlier... You are saved by believing in Jesus Christ as your Savior. Period.

John 3:16, "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

Acts 16:30-31: "He then brought them out and asked, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” They replied, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved—you and your household.”

Is there something about this that is difficult to understand?

Faith is necessary but not sufficient.

Peter wrote "Baptism, which corresponds to this, now saves you.." (1 peter 3:21)

Then there is

"For by grace you have been saved through faith" (Eph 2:8)

All verses need to be taken into account, not just one.

I agree that there is no formula.
I do believe that Christian churches have "invented" a formula.
That formula would be that one accepts Christ and is saved forever.

As to why I ask about being brain-washed...
When I was a new Christian I had been taught that only through Jesus can we be saved.
I soon realized how silly this concept is to an all-powerful being such as God.

My Christian friends however (not all of them) kept insisting that if one had never heard of Jesus, they could not possibly be saved.

I've come to deny this belief because God is not so small...
It is our thinking that is.

By our, I mean anyone who teaches this, including some pastors of churches.
Formula - what do we mean? A chemical formula is the structure of a molecule. A mathematical formula shows how different mathematical ingredients work together.

In theology the trinity is a Formula of Gods presence in the world.
The cross is a formula for reconciliation.
Repentance and walking in faith is a formula for communion.

Meeting Jesus has all these aspects, which all interact in an infinite combination of ways.
Reductionism is the attempt to reduce complex systems down to definable relationships which can be simply expressed.

Jesus brought us the bible, a mass of human experiences with God, which all have wisdom and meaning, context, good and bad points. The sacraments view of faith, attendance at church, reading and praying through scripture can become formula's. I was singing praises in church this morning, doing the projector, and thinking I had done this so long, I had lost some meaning in the words that my heart truly sang to the Lord. So I sung them to the Lord.

If it becomes a formula it seems to lose the life and the Spirit. Love ebbs and flows, gets hurt, adjusts, reappraises and then moves forward. The Lord got furious, which was tempered by Moses and Aaron, yet out view of the Lord is He is unaffected gliding above, distant. My heart broke in thanks to Jesus the other day when I felt the Lord appreciating my love for Him. He is so humble, that which I offer He values. I do not know how we are like Jesus and the Father, but I do know his way is as a Father and balancing all the responsibilities with support and encouragement.

Elijah was hopeful of Ahab coming round, but in the end Jezebel went after him so he ran. The Lord took this tired and in some ways broken man and encouraged him once again. The Lord chooses this walk time and again, and brings in people to the Kingdom.

So there is a formula in one way but not another. I have come to see that is the problem with trying to be too definitive, the Lord uses everything.

God bless you

Faith is necessary but not sufficient.

Peter wrote "Baptism, which corresponds to this, now saves you.." (1 peter 3:21)

Then there is

All verses need to be taken into account, not just one.
Just Catholic dogma.

Just Catholic dogma.

It's scripture.
And Catholic dogma is based on scripture.

A couple of points regarding your previous post.
Note it says shall.. have (future) eternal life. Not does have eternal life right now.

And note it says - you will (future) be saved not you are saved right now,

Salvation is a by God's grace - his free gift. God chooses when to give that grace and he tells us in scripture when he promises to give that gift - in baptism.

Faith is the first step to that grace but nowhere is scripture does it say we are saved by faith alone.

Too bad none of the apostles knew that easy salvation formula. It would have saved them a lot of trouble in life. Just say the “right” words and of course mean them at that point in time (whatever that is) you’re destined for Heaven.
Of course they did know that forumula.

That's why Paul told us about it in Romans 10:13.

Cheap and easy…no pain, no repentance, no obedience, no self denial, just say the “right” words!
See Colossians 2:20-23.

The Colossian believers were turning to asceticism and Paul was here correcting them.

What they were doing was "not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh." (Colossians 2:23).

In other words, they were exalting practices that were in denial of the flesh;

And yet Paul still had to correct them.

Asceticism is not the way.

Now, if I have called on the name of Jesus Chriust of Nazareth for salvation from sin, you can be sure that I will begin to take up my cross and follow Jesus. Because He has saved me from sin...and therefore I will take up the unselfish path of taking up my cross.

Also, those who are Christ's have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires (Galatians 5:24).

And this has nothing to do with asceticism..."Touch not, taste not, handle not."

It's scripture.
And Catholic dogma is based on scripture.

A couple of points regarding your previous post.

Note it says shall.. have (future) eternal life. Not does have eternal life right now.

And note it says - you will (future) be saved not you are saved right now,

Salvation is a by God's grace - his free gift. God chooses when to give that grace and he tells us in scripture when he promises to give that gift - in baptism.

Faith is the first step to that grace but nowhere is scripture does it say we are saved by faith alone.

The Bible does teach us in several places that we are saved through faith apart from works, however.

Romans 4:1-8, Titus 3:3-7, Romans 11:5-6, Ephesians 2:8-9.

Back