Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

What is "GODS RIGHTEOUSNESS"

James 2:23,24 KJV

And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.

This scripture is said to have been fulfilled when Abraham's faith was made perfect. It is important to observe when the scripture referred to was fulfilled. Though Abraham was earlier Gen 15:6 acknowledged as a believer, and his faith was noticed for righteousness, it was not until later Gen 22:1-9 that his faith was made perfect in the act of obedience involving Isaac. Abraham believed God, prior to this act of obedience. He fully accepted God's word, and relied implicitly on the promises which it held and, as a result, his faith "was reckoned unto him for righteousness.

Uh, yeah.

Rom 10:3

For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.

When those who are in the "flesh" hear the term "righteousness" they always think of what THEY must do?

But a believer who is "spiritual" always thinks of what God has done by the WORK of Christ Jesus, One who walks by the Rightoeusness of God walks in the grace and power of God!:thumbsup

The righteous refers to the group of humans, angels who are qualified to enter Heaven. This is thus measured by God's Law.

Since humans can no longer abide by God's Law in an absolute sense. Covenants are granted for humans. So the righteousness of humans is defined through the covenants. In our age and generation, those who are qualified under the New Covenant will be regarded as the righteous.

So, you have no righteousness of your own and you have no righteousness imputed.

s

The word imputed has been hyjacked to mean..a cover up. Now un-indoctrinated people know that a cover up is a foray into dishonesty. Is God dishonest? Is He unrighteous to qualify the unrighteous?

So we must become a new creation...not a covered over dung heap (as per Luther).

Rom 10:3

For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.
Rom 10:4

For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

You will get this! Keep coming to the well and you will see the "right" reflection!:)

In the context of Rom 10:1-3 Paul is saying the Jews were lost for they have not submitted to the righteousness of God. Since we know from Psa 119:172 that all God's commands are righteousness then we know that the Jews were lost for they would not submit/obey God's commands. So for those Jews to have been saved they would have to have had obeyed God's commands, obey God's righteousness. So for anyone to be saved they must obey God's commands.

As to Rom 10:4 the Jews were going about to establish their own righteousness and not obey God's righteousness. They thought a moral perfomance was what saved when it takes obedience to God to save so that is why they would not submit to God's righteousness. The OT law was to bring the Jew to Christ, Gal 3:24,25 The Jews would come to Christ with an obedient belief. So being a believer in Christ put an end to the Jews trying to keep the OT law perfectly or be saved by moral performance. One commentator put it "The true believer in Christ has forsaken all attempts to claim a right standing with God on the basis of flawless law-keeping or moral performance. The true believer realizes that the only road to righteousness is the way of obedient faith and humble submission to God."

The righteous refers to the group of humans, angels who are qualified to enter Heaven. This is thus measured by God's Law.

Since humans can no longer abide by God's Law in an absolute sense. Covenants are granted for humans. So the righteousness of humans is defined through the covenants. In our age and generation, those who are qualified under the New Covenant will be regarded as the righteous.
The New Covenant is in holiness and a new creation. Righteousness is an old testament standard. However, we must also be found to be righteous otherwise we are holding the truth in unrighteousness.

What is this righteousness that we receive from God? It is a new creation in Christ whereby we become empowered to walk as Jesus walked. But this righteousness is IN holiness. There is no New Covenant righteousness that is not in holiness.

The word imputed has been hyjacked to mean..a cover up. Now un-indoctrinated people know that a cover up is a foray into dishonesty. Is God dishonest? Is He unrighteous to qualify the unrighteous?

So we must become a new creation...not a covered over dung heap (as per Luther).

Hi,

Some think imputed means that Christ's righteousness is imputed or transferred to the sinner, but it's not. If Christ's righteousness was transferred to me then I would be as sinlessly perfect as Christ, but I am not. The sinner, by obedience to the gospel, is placed in Christ where in Christ he shares or is covered by Christ's perfect righteousness. Only in Christ is one a new creature clothed in Christ's perfect righteoueness.

The New Covenant is in holiness and a new creation. Righteousness is an old testament standard. However, we must also be found to be righteous otherwise we are holding the truth in unrighteousness.

What is this righteousness that we receive from God? It is a new creation in Christ whereby we become empowered to walk as Jesus walked. But this righteousness is IN holiness. There is no New Covenant righteousness that is not in holiness.

You adapted a wrong concept. Righteous is the opposite word of "wicked". After leaving planet earth, everyone will end up as either the righteous (saved) and the wicked (unsaved).

NT,

Matthew 6:33
But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

NT,

Romans 1:17
For in the gospel the righteousness of God is revealed—a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: “The righteous will live by faith.”

Romans 3:22
This righteousness is given through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference between Jew and Gentile,

Romans 5:19
For just as through the disobedience of the one man the many were made sinners, so also through the obedience of the one man the many will be made righteous.

There are a lot of verses regarding to righteousness. In a nutshell, through the obedience of Jesus Christ, all believers will be made righteous (saved). This is the essence of the New Covenant.

Last edited by a moderator:
To my fellow self-righteous Christians, if I can say that, here is an excellent passage from the Book of Daniel. If our faith were to be perfected right now, and we lived our lives perfectly before God without sin, our righteousness would not cover the price of admission into heaven. Daniel provides the reason why righteousness belongs to the Lord. This is why we need to be found in Him.

Daniel 9:7
New King James Version (NKJV)
7 O Lord, righteousness belongs to You, but to us shame of face, as it is this day—to the men of Judah, to the inhabitants of Jerusalem and all Israel, those near and those far off in all the countries to which You have driven them, because of the unfaithfulness which they have committed against You. (emphasis added)

Another passage in Matthew 3:15 tells us why Jesus was being baptized, to fulfill all righteousness. In effect, Jesus was not only our representative in His death on the cross, but also in His obedience in Life.

Matthew 3:15

15 But Jesus answered and said to him, “Permit it to be so now, for thus it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness.”

The religious leaders of Jesus' day had the reputation of being very observant of the law, better than the rest of society. Would anyone today surpass the righteousness of the Pharisees?

Matthew 5:20

20 For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven. Only Jesus' righteousness surpassed that of the Pharisees and scribes.

So, we do need the righteousness of Jesus that will justify us before God, because when we present our righteousness before God, our unrighteousness comes along with it. I'm thinking a distinction needs to be made regarding the righteousness that justifies us before God, and our righteous deeds that are part of the sanctification process, the perfecting of our faith.

Romans 3:28

28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith apart from the deeds of the law.

- Davies

Hi,

Some think imputed means that Christ's righteousness is imputed or transferred to the sinner, but it's not. If Christ's righteousness was transferred to me then I would be as sinlessly perfect as Christ, but I am not. The sinner, by obedience to the gospel, is placed in Christ where in Christ he shares or is covered by Christ's perfect righteousness. Only in Christ is one a new creature clothed in Christ's perfect righteoueness.

Very good! in the spiritual realm as with real estate it is about location location location! :)

You adapted a wrong concept. Righteous is the opposite word of "wicked". After leaving planet earth, everyone will end up as either the righteous (saved) and the wicked (unsaved).

NT,

Matthew 6:33
But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

NT,

Romans 1:17
For in the gospel the righteousness of God is revealed—a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: “The righteous will live by faith.â€

Romans 3:22
This righteousness is given through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference between Jew and Gentile,

Romans 5:19
For just as through the disobedience of the one man the many were made sinners, so also through the obedience of the one man the many will be made righteous.

There are a lot of verses regarding to righteousness. In a nutshell, through the obedience of Jesus Christ, all believers will be made righteous (saved). This is the essence of the New Covenant.

The new Covenant is about making a holy nation before God. Holiness is not the same as righteousness. The righteous admit they are sinners. The holy do not sin. Jesus didn't come to call the righteous to repentance but sinners. The way of God in Christ is in holiness. Righteousness means we are seeing things the way they truly are....and living in the humility of that realization.

Which addresses the fact of us having none of our own righteousness and the fact of His imputed righteousness how?

Being a 'new creation' itself implies a 'Creator' to make it so.

We are not The Creator.

s

Which addresses the fact of us having none of our own righteousness and the fact of His imputed righteousness how?

Being a 'new creation' itself implies a 'Creator' to make it so.

We are not The Creator.

s

A new creation doesn't need to be covered up...it needs to shine it's light. So the righteousness we receive from Christ is "infused" as a new nature. We are vessels meant to be cleansed and then filled. We then live the life that is from above.

A new creation doesn't need to be covered up...it needs to shine it's light. So the righteousness we receive from Christ is "infused" as a new nature. We are vessels meant to be cleansed and then filled. We then live the life that is from above.

Believers will naturally see various matters to various degrees.

I have found it personally beneficial not to delude myself into present Perfection. Others like to impute themselves entirely currently into same. To me that is not the case. I may very well look upon other believers as 'technically' perfect via imputation of His Righteousness. The fact however is seldom played out in reality presently.

In short, fantasy faith is an avenue I left off with departure from charismania.

s

Believers will naturally see various matters to various degrees.

I have found it personally beneficial not to delude myself into present Perfection. Others like to impute themselves entirely currently into same. To me that is not the case. I may very well look upon other believers as 'technically' perfect via imputation of His Righteousness. The fact however is seldom played out in reality presently.

In short, fantasy faith is an avenue I left off with departure from charismania.

s

There is admittedly much fantasy where spiritual matters are concerned. But we do have the biblical record to attest to actual experiences in the Spirit. The whole book of Acts are the works done by the Spirit. Then amid claims of spiritual experiences and attainments there are actual testimonies in the truth. The fact that these are so muddied by the false claims of others does not take away anything from what God is doing to further His kingdom.

The idea of imputed righteousness as a cover-up gets in the way of the truth of the power of the gospel. God's Spirit reveals what is really in us. God abides in light...and light exposes all darkness. So the idea of hiding sins is inimical to the truth. The natural state for a true Christian is to be clean...not just covered up.

2 Cor 5:17 "Therefore if (conditional word) any man [be] in Christ, [he is] a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new."

Gal 5:6 "For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love."
Gal 6:15 "For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature."
1 Cor 7:19 "Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the keeping of the commandments of God."

Faith which worketh by love is equivalent to keeping the commandments of God which is equivalent to being a new creature.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is admittedly much fantasy where spiritual matters are concerned. But we do have the biblical record to attest to actual experiences in the Spirit.

And quite varied according the the individual as well, not only in text, but presently.

Varying degrees of given light is a present reality.

The whole book of Acts are the works done by the Spirit. Then amid claims of spiritual experiences and attainments there are actual testimonies in the truth. The fact that these are so muddied by the false claims of others does not take away anything from what God is doing to further His kingdom.
Agreed. I have considered the fact that were any work accelerated to all by His Design matters of fact can change fast for all of us.

The idea of imputed righteousness as a cover-up gets in the way of the truth of the power of the gospel.
I have never considered Grace, Righteousness, Justification, as 'excuses' for sin and evil. But I also consider that none of us can truthfully say we have no sin and be in truth or that sin itself is not evil. Therein some will find themselves to be quite divided presently and the understanding of these tensions is not a bad thing. It is in part via the avenue of disobedience that we come to understand His Mercy as a living reality. Not an excuse for same presently but a fact nevertheless. I don't find it beneficial to see myself apart from present reality.

Paul does quite a nice job describing these things. Planted presently in weakness, corruption, dishonor and a natural body are not matters that I overlook in understandings because they are present realities. When they are not we'll know it. Til then it doesn't pay to overlook that reality in favor of present fantasies. I accept that these matters will pass for all believers in and at His Time.
God's Spirit reveals what is really in us. God abides in light...and light exposes all darkness. So the idea of hiding sins is inimical to the truth. The natural state for a true Christian is to be clean...not just covered up.
Believers who claim to have no sin I have to mark as not really being up front about 'our' internals. Many prefer to judge the outside of the cup. Word has not lent me that view. I hold a much harsher view of sins and find my adversaries 'internal.'

s

2 Cor 5:17 "Therefore if (conditional word) any man [be] in Christ, [he is] a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new."

Gal 5:6 "For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love."
Gal 6:15 "For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature."
1 Cor 7:19 "Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the keeping of the commandments of God."

Faith which worketh by love is equivalent to keeping the commandments of God which is equivalent to being a new creature.

We see the dual reality of being In Christ and Christ being IN us.

Col_1:27 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:

And quite varied according the the individual as well, not only in text, but presently.

Varying degrees of given light is a present reality.

Agreed. I have considered the fact that were any work accelerated to all by His Design matters of fact can change fast for all of us.

I have never considered Grace, Righteousness, Justification, as 'excuses' for sin and evil. But I also consider that none of us can truthfully say we have no sin and be in truth or that sin itself is not evil. Therein some will find themselves to be quite divided presently and the understanding of these tensions is not a bad thing. It is in part via the avenue of disobedience that we come to understand His Mercy as a living reality. Not an excuse for same presently but a fact nevertheless. I don't find it beneficial to see myself apart from present reality.

Paul does quite a nice job describing these things. Planted presently in weakness, corruption, dishonor and a natural body are not matters that I overlook in understandings because they are present realities. When they are not we'll know it. Til then it doesn't pay to overlook that reality in favor of present fantasies. I accept that these matters will pass for all believers in and at His Time.
Believers who claim to have no sin I have to mark as not really being up front about 'our' internals. Many prefer to judge the outside of the cup. Word has not lent me that view. I hold a much harsher view of sins and find my adversaries 'internal.'

s

This is where righteousness and holiness differ. A righteous man will admit his failings and be humbled by them. People can respect that. A righteous man is almost never under persecution. A holy man will show forth and testify to the light given to him with the same honesty as a righteous man reveals his failings. When a holy man reveals his light THAT is the righteousness of God. A holy man WILL be hated and persecuted...how dare he reveal something greater!!!! How dare he not speak of failures and sins!!! But he can't help it if his honesty is about what God is doing in Him as opposed to being a sinner like those around him.

This is where righteousness and holiness differ. A righteous man will admit his failings and be humbled by them. People can respect that.

For me it is simply a matter of not having to lie. I rather admit an unpleasant truth than lie to myself or worse, to think I'm pulling a fast one on God as that is just a ridiculous approach to Him. I expect zero spiritual gain to be had in lying.

A righteous man is almost never under persecution.

I might observe the opposite from scriptural examples:

2 Corinthians 4:8
We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair

For every drift too far on one side of the ledgers, and return to the other is usually assured.

The exposure to the wickedness of the world however will certainly make us pull away from getting wrapped up in it and less headaches tend to ensue from that retraction.

A holy man will show forth and testify to the light given to him with the same honesty as a righteous man reveals his failings. When a holy man reveals his light THAT is the righteousness of God. A holy man WILL be hated and persecuted...how dare he reveal something greater!!!! How dare he not speak of failures and sins!!! But he can't help it if his honesty is about what God is doing in Him as opposed to being a sinner like those around him.

There are some very ugly realities revealed in the scriptures that I consider to be factual and personal. It's largely only a question of seeing them, experiencing them, and if seen and experienced, speaking honestly about them.

My preference is honesty and I think that is Gods Preferred Way as well.

I could point to any given number of disclosures by the Apostles on these matters, but most believers tend to like to paint themselves up on the rosy side of the scenario. I found long ago that chasing Perfection on ones own 'ideas' of same can result in the uttmost frustrations. I realized that in order to have Perfect thoughts I myself would have to be Perfect. I realized that as a reality I do not even know what they may even be. Can we really place definitions on such eternal matters? I find them boundless and me considering same in the midst of 'obviously not your condition presently.'

We get a taste to share. And wonderous matters they are. I can tell you assuredly that I am far from taking on the entirety of Perfection. That is a matter left for eternal contemplations.

s

Back