Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

What is "GODS RIGHTEOUSNESS"

Hi Mitspa,

I like Psalm 22:30-31

Psalm 22:30-31

New King James Version (NKJV)

30 A posterity shall serve Him.
It will be recounted of the Lord to the next generation,
31 They will come and declare His righteousness to a people who will be born,
That He has done this.

Psalm 22 is all about Jesus' crucifixion. At the end of this amazing prophecy, we see of those who serve God what they declare, 'What He has done.'

- Davies :amen

Last edited by a moderator:
I have already posted on this tread that we are made Righteous by Gods Righteousness, through faith in Christ. I believe real faith has real actions.
You guys love to work, so look up a few post on this tread:toofunny

But faith in Christ is an act of righteousness for faith is a work.

Again, you asked the question "what is God's righteousness?"

Psa 119:172 tells us all God's commands are righteousness.

Therefore when God commands man to believe and man believes then man is obeying/doing God's righteousness when he believes. So righteousness is something done, doing righteousness is equivalent to obeying God's commands and no oe can be righteous without doing righteousess, 1 Jn 3:7
God will have wrath and indignation upon those that obey unrighteousness, Rom 2:6,7 What does it mean to "obey unrightouesness? It means NOT OBEYING/DOING God's commands. Until one obeys God's righteousness (commands) they are obeying unrighteousness, they are in a state of lost disobedience.

Therefore when God commands man to believe and man believes then man is obeying/doing God's righteousness when he believes. So righteousness is something done, doing righteousness is equivalent to obeying God's commands and no oe can be righteous without doing righteousess, 1 Jn 3:7
God will have wrath and indignation upon those that obey unrighteousness, Rom 2:6,7 What does it mean to "obey unrightouesness? It means NOT OBEYING/DOING God's commands. Until one obeys God's righteousness (commands) they are obeying unrighteousness, they are in a state of lost disobedience.

There is only two kinds of "righteousness" Yours and Gods! I suggest you find out which one is required? You want to boast in your works? Good! I am very happy for you, I bet you are very PROUD of yourself?

Rom 10:3

For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.

Rom 10:4

Rom 10:6

But the righteousness which is of faith speaketh on this wise, Say not in thine heart, Who shall ascend into heaven? (that is, to bring Christ down from above:)
Rom 10:7

Or, Who shall descend into the deep? (that is, to bring up Christ again from the dead.)
Rom 10:8

But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;
Rom 10:9

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

Rom 10:10

For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Sorry I did not make the rules!:)

Yes, and you said "God's Righteousness is that Righteousness that each person has whom Christ died for,"

Since Christ died for each man, and according to what you said above, every man has righteousness meaning every man is saved.

Yes every man Christ died for is saved !

Hi Mitspa,

I like Psalm 22:30-31

Psalm 22:30-31

30 A posterity shall serve Him.
It will be recounted of the Lord to the next generation,
31 They will come and declare His righteousness to a people who will be born,
That He has done this.

Psalm 22 is all about Jesus' crucifixion. At the end of this amazing prophecy, we see of those who serve God what they declare, 'What He has done.'

- Davies :amen

AMEN!:clap
Psa 27:4

One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to enquire in his temple.

This is the only acceptable righteousness of man! To behold the beauty of the Lord in the Face of Christ Jesus.

2Co 3:18

But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.

No man can know or understand the Things of God apart from the Spirit of God.

God demonstrated His righteous. How? Romans 3
v23 He with undeserved kindness, declares us righteous through Jesus
v26 He declares sinners to be right in His sight when they believe in Jesus

23 For everyone has sinned; we all fall short of God’s glorious standard. 24 Yet God, with undeserved kindness, declares that we are righteous. He did this through Christ Jesus when he freed us from the penalty for our sins. 25 For God presented Jesus as the sacrifice for sin. People are made right with God when they believe that Jesus sacrificed his life, shedding his blood. This sacrifice shows that God was being fair when he held back and did not punish those who sinned in times past, 26 for he was looking ahead and including them in what he would do in this present time. God did this to demonstrate his righteousness, for he himself is fair and just, and he declares sinners to be right in his sight when they believe in Jesus.

For anyone who would be tempted to focus on his own righteousness verses God's righteousness, would do well to remember what God said to Israel in Isaiah 57.

Isaiah 57:11-13

11 “And of whom have you been afraid, or feared,
That you have lied
And not remembered Me,
Nor taken it to your heart?
Is it not because I have held My peace from of old
That you do not fear Me?
12 I will declare your righteousness
And your works,
For they will not profit you.
13 When you cry out,
Let your collection of idols deliver you.
But the wind will carry them all away,
A breath will take them.
But he who puts his trust in Me shall possess the land,
And shall inherit My holy mountain.”

When God says He will declare your righteousness, it's time to slink down to your knees with your face towards the ground filled with shame. Your righteousness and good works "will not profit you." God says let the person who trusts in his own righteousness, 'let his collection of idols deliver him.' Deliver him from what? Speculation, the judgment to come.

Who is our God?

Jeremiah 23:6

6 In His days Judah will be saved,
And Israel will dwell safely;
Now this is His name by which He will be called:

THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS.[a]

- Davies

For anyone who would be tempted to focus on his own righteousness verses God's righteousness, would do well to remember what God said to Israel in Isaiah 57.

That you have lied
And not remembered Me,
That you do not fear Me?
And your works,
13 When you cry out,
A breath will take them.
And shall inherit My holy mountain.â€

When God says He will declare your righteousness, it's time to slink down to your knees with your face towards the ground filled with shame. Your righteousness and good works "will not profit you." God says let the person who trusts in his own righteousness, 'let his collection of idols deliver him.' Deliver him from what? Speculation, the judgment to come.

Who is our God?

- Davies

The focus is on answering the question originally posted. The focus is on how God demonstrated HIS righteousness. In His undeserved kindness and mercy towards us. GRACE I can't rearrange the text so I can highlight the main focus first, it reads like it reads and it is all pertinent to my thought. "we all fall short of the glory of God"

See the final BOLD - God demonstrated His Righteousness How? By His undeserved kindness towards us . HE declared US righteous. GRACE

I have NO righteousness of my own.!!!! Only His UNDESERVED kindness and mercy. GRACE

The name of this thread is, "What is "GOD's RIGHTEOUSNESS""
The above scripture was the closest I could find to describe what God says His righteousness is. He demonstrated it the way He wanted to, it was His will.

I don't know about you but this scripture makes me very grateful to Him and humble. I know who I am and what I deserve so when He says something like this I am amazed, aren't you?

That you have lied
And not remembered Me,
That you do not fear Me?
And your works,
13 When you cry out,
A breath will take them.
And shall inherit My holy mountain.â€

Who is our God?

- Davies

"For ye are saved by grace, through faith, not by works, lest any man should boast."

Sometimes I think people come on these threads just looking for someone they can disagree with instead of trying to really understand what they are saying.
Instead of jumping to conclusions and accusing someone of being self righteous maybe they should ask what they were attempting to point out.
If you don't really know for sure ASK before you start telling them they should be ashamed or calling them liars, etc.
Maybe they don't express themselves as well as you do, maybe they don't write as well as you do.
If some of you had met the woman at the well or the woman accused of adultery in both cases they would have left crying rather than with their hearts leaping of joy. They would have run away.
There is a way of correcting in love. Jesus knew how to do this. I suggest we take lessons from Him.
We need to be humble in dealing with our christian brothers and sisters in Christ.

Sometimes I think people come on these threads just looking for someone they can disagree with instead of trying to really understand what they are saying.
Instead of jumping to conclusions and accusing someone of being self righteous maybe they should ask what they were attempting to point out.
If you don't really know for sure ASK before you start telling them they should be ashamed or calling them liars, etc.
Maybe they don't express themselves as well as you do, maybe they don't write as well as you do.
If some of you had met the woman at the well or the woman accused of adultery in both cases they would have left crying rather than with their hearts leaping of joy. They would have run away.
There is a way of correcting in love. Jesus knew how to do this. I suggest we take lessons from Him.
We need to be humble in dealing with our christian brothers and sisters in Christ.
I did not see Davies post as "accusing" anyone? Gods justice is a part of His Righteousness, and that He showed us at The Cross of His Beloved Son. Those who remain in self-righteousness reject Gods justice! They say I do not need the Cross nor the work there, I will earn my own way!

1Co 1:18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
1Co 1:19 For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.
1Co 1:20 Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?
1Co 1:21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.
1Co 1:22 For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:
1Co 1:23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;

So then "Gods Justice" works with His Mercy! For the Law also in showing man,his unrighteousness, opens the heart unto the mercy that God has prepared for those who will believe and accept His Righteousness. (In Christ Jesus)
:thumbsup

I did not see Davies post as "accusing" anyone? Gods justice is a part of His Righteousness, and that He showed us at The Cross of His Beloved Son. Those who remain in self-righteousness reject Gods justice! They say I do not need the Cross nor the work there, I will earn my own way!

1Co 1:18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
1Co 1:19 For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.
1Co 1:20 Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?
1Co 1:21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.
1Co 1:22 For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:
1Co 1:23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;

So then "Gods Justice" works with His Mercy! For the Law also in showing man,his unrighteousness, opens the heart unto the mercy that God has prepared for those who will believe and accept His Righteousness. (In Christ Jesus)
:thumbsup

If I was wrong in my assumption that Davies post, which came directly after mine, was not a reprimand I will more the be happy to beg his forgivness. If he tells me it was not directed to my post I will accept that and be glad for both of us.

The Law was given to show man just how unrighteous he is in himself. We have absolutely NO righteousness (all filthy rags) other than the gift of HIS righteousness. The only way we can be justified is by His grace.

I will not go on because I know that you already know everything that I would say. I don't need to preach at you.

Very good. :)

Very good. :)

Isa 59:4

None calleth for justice, nor any pleadeth for truth: they trust in vanity, and speak lies; they conceive mischief, and bring forth iniquity.
Isa 59:5

They hatch cockatrice' eggs, and weave the spider's web: he that eateth of their eggs dieth, and that which is crushed breaketh out into a viper.

Isa 59:6

Their webs shall not become garments, neither shall they cover themselves with their works: their works are works of iniquity, and the act of violence is in their hands.

Isa 59:17

For he put on righteousness as a breastplate, and an helmet of salvation upon his head; and he put on the garments of vengeance for clothing, and was clad with zeal as a cloke.
Isa 59:18

According to their deeds, accordingly he will repay, fury to his adversaries, recompence to his enemies; to the islands he will repay recompence.
Isa 59:19

So shall they fear the name of the LORD from the west, and his glory from the rising of the sun. When the enemy shall come in like a flood, the Spirit of the LORD shall lift up a standard against him.
Isa 59:20

And the Redeemer shall come to Zion, and unto them that turn from transgression in Jacob, saith the LORD.
Isa 59:21

As for me, this is my covenant with them, saith the LORD; My spirit that is upon thee, and my words which I have put in thy mouth, shall not depart out of thy mouth, nor out of the mouth of thy seed, nor out of the mouth of thy seed's seed, saith the LORD, from henceforth and for ever.

We are what Christ has spoken, And His words will never fail!:lol

2Co 5:21

For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him. :biglol

Isa 59:4

None calleth for justice, nor any pleadeth for truth: they trust in vanity, and speak lies; they conceive mischief, and bring forth iniquity.
Isa 59:5

They hatch cockatrice' eggs, and weave the spider's web: he that eateth of their eggs dieth, and that which is crushed breaketh out into a viper.

Isa 59:6

Their webs shall not become garments, neither shall they cover themselves with their works: their works are works of iniquity, and the act of violence is in their hands.

You do not seem to understand that you cannot be righteous unless/until you do righteousness. Doing righteousness is doing God's commands. So the only way one can be or will be reckoned righteous by God is if he obeys God's commands, Acts 10:35.

So how do you think one goes from being an unrighteous person to a righteous person?

If he tells me it was not directed to my post I will accept that and be glad for both of us.

Hi Deborah13,

Though my post came after yours, it wasn't specifically directed at you. I always like to name who I talk to at the beginning of my posts, and this one was directed to anyone who would be tempted to focus on their own righteousness, that would especially include myself. I confess I do focus on my righteousness from time to time, and I think it's very sinful.

I hesitated for a few moments before posting because I was aware the tone seemed harsh, but I sent it anyway knowing it would be something I would like someone to tell me because self-righteousness is a major problem I have as well as others. Yes, it often hurts when the truth about myself is revealed, and I don't react well at times because of it. In retrospect, I look back and can see that God's grace, patience, kindness, and gentleness have always been with me despite my great sins, and the cross amplifies this infinitely. I don't see any greater gifts than God's pardon and His righteousness, a double cure!

You quoted Romans talking about the fairness and justice of God, and Ephesians regarding how we are saved by grace through faith. I agree with you all the way. Mitspa elaborated on what I was saying, and explained it very nicely.

Proverbs 27:6

6 Faithful are the wounds of a friend,
But the kisses of an enemy are deceitful.

- Davies :muchlove

You do not seem to understand that you cannot be righteous unless/until you do righteousness. Doing righteousness is doing God's commands. So the only way one can be or will be reckoned righteous by God is if he obeys God's commands, Acts 10:35.

So how do you think one goes from being an unrighteous person to a righteous person?

Rom 10:3

For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.
Rom 10:4

For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

You will get this! Keep coming to the well and you will see the "right" reflection!:)

Joh 16:7

Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.
Joh 16:8

And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
Joh 16:9

Of sin, because they believe not on me;
Joh 16:10

Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;

The Holy Spirit has never and will never convict a "believer" of sin! He does convict the non-believer of their sin, that they may come to Christ and be cleansed.

The Holy Spirit of God convicts the BELIEVER of righteousness!
Meaning when we fall short and heed the flesh the Holy Spirit convicts us of who we are in Christ! The Holy Spirit never follows a "believer" around finding their fault, but always works to bring them into the victory we have in Christ.:thumbsup

Back