Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Why Do Christians Argue Against Works?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
It depends on which "work" you are referring to.

We are not justified by the works of the law.

We are not justified by work that earns a wage.

We are not justified by good works.

The ONLY way a person is justified is by obedience: the obedience of faith.

Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar? James 2:21

The obedience Abraham performed was to offer his son Isaac on the altar, in response to God's word (Voice) to him:
the word by which he received faith.

Abraham's faith was activated, or "made alive" when he responded in obedience to God's Voice, and thereby his faith was able to justify him.

This principle is shown throughout the scriptures and is called the obedience of faith.

But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith: Romans 16:26 KJV

JLB
Perfect. Romans 1 calls it obedience to the faith.

The difference between man's own works of righteousness and doing the righteousness of God is twofold:

Natural man doing works according to his own will, as well as believers seeking to do God's righteousness with un unclean heart. Both are counted as self-righteous filthy rags.

Unbelievers cannot please God at all, and so they cannot do good in God's sight, even though their works be intended for good:

And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing. (1 Cor 13)

God does not accept Pharisitical outward obedience only, which is also called works of the law, or works as by law only.

The law doesn't care whether our hearts are pure, so long as we are doing it, but God seeks a pure heart within first:

Thou blind Pharisee, cleanse first that which is within the cup and platter, that the outside of them may be clean also. (Matthew 23)

And so, as you say, the only way to be saved and justified by God is by believing and obeying Him only according to His word, not by works alone without faith, or by any works of another faith, religion, or philosophy of man.

Wouldn't loving your neighbor be an example of obedience?
So long as we are loving God with all the heart first, which is the first great commandment.

The point only being that the second great commandment cannot possibly be obeyed, without first obeying the greatest of all.

As a sinner I would help my neighbor, but many times begrudgingly, because I was asked to or supposed to, which is outwardly as by law only.

God is a spirit and we are created spiritual beings, and so the spirit with which we do anything is what god judges first.

Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps 51)

It's the soul which sins or does right, and so it is the soul which is judged first, not just the outward works of the flesh: all works of man are spiritual in nature from the heart and mind of the spirit, whether it be of God to do good, or of the devil to do evil.

Philanthropies of man are not the good works and righteousness justified by Jesus Christ.

The works of man's own righteousness are as a car seeking to drive on bad gas, deflated tires, and old oil.

But Israel, which followed after the law of righteousness, hath not attained to the law of righteousness. Wherefore? Because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law. (Rom 9)

And so whatsoever the pure in heart do by the faith of Jesus is justified with God, and whatsoever any man does according to his own will is unpleasing to God: it is only the Son the pleases the Father, and so it is only them receiving Jesus Christ that can become His sons. (John 1)

No man can be led of the Spirit of God without receiving the Spirit within the heart first: He is the one that purifies and sanctifies soul, spirit, and body:

And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. (1 Thess 5)

The point only being that the second great commandment cannot possibly be obeyed, without first obeying the greatest of all.

As a sinner I would help my neighbor, but many times begrudgingly, because I was asked to or supposed to, which is outwardly as by law only.
I think it is entirely possible to love our neighbors without loving God or even knowing Him. Not all people that are loving, caring, compassionate, etc., do so begrudgingly. Some are just loving, caring, compassionate individuals.

If we can't all agree on the definition of 'love' and 'works' how are we to even agree on their role in the Christian walk/life?

I think it is entirely possible to love our neighbors without loving God or even knowing Him. Not all people that are loving, caring, compassionate, etc., do so begrudgingly. Some are just loving, caring, compassionate individuals.
Yes, but we're speaking of being justified by Jesus Christ, not about being the neighborly sheep divided from the unneighborly goats.

If we were talking about the hope of remaining in the millennium kingdom on earth after His return, then we would preach the message of being neighborly sinners.

The point is that God's love, charity, goodness, and righteousness is from within His heart first: a heart and home receiving Jesus is now His heart and home too with fellowship in His Light.

Man's own goodness and righteousness is indeed outwardly and helpful to the body.

Man's goodness and love is not the love and goodness of God, which is why no man is saved nor justified by his own goodness and righteousness.

Having conscience of God is good, just not good enough for God's Son to dwell in.

If we can't all agree on the definition of 'love' and 'works' how are we to even agree on their role in the Christian walk/life?
We don't need to agree with each other, but every man needs to agree with Jesus Christ and do His word.

It's not about us being in agreement with one another in a doctrine, which is fine for religion and church unity of men.

Agreeing with and doing the word of God is the only eternal life of salvation and justification by Jesus Christ.

Paul calls for unity around his gospel, not another gospel.

The simplicity of Christ is simple: His love and charity of good works begins within the heart first.

The kingdom and power of God is spiritual purity within first. It's not hard to understand at all, but only who is doing it? Who preaches it? Who ensures every Christian understands the absolute necessity of it first in all things for Christ?

I know the Christian teaching that we are loving God by loving one another. Scripture does not say that, but rather that without loving our brother we can see, we cannot possibly be loving the God we cannot see.

That does not mean that because we are loving our neighbor, we must therefore be loving God.

Jesus declares plainly that proof of loving Him is only by keeping His commandments first: with all the heart, soul, mind, and strength, with a pure soul and heart and mind. Scripture also says that we love one another by keeping His commandments: love of man is fleeting with feeling and neighborly works, but loving God is by commandment.

I know what it is to be sinner inwardly and outwardly, as all men do. I know what it is to be a sinner inwardly and yet blameless outwardly as religious Christians do, and now I know what it is to be pure inwardly and blameless outwardly as only the elect saints do.

The only difference is when God put the commandment personally to my heart to do His word as written, and not just view some Scriptures as high unattainable ideals on earth:

(For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;) For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds. (2 Cor 10)

And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. (1 Thess 5)

I have heard teaching of church history about how specially loving the early church was as compared to later and even today, like it was some special church body of Christ, because He had just lived on earth and risen, and the apostles were yet alive and writing the New testament.

That suggests with passing of time on earth, and the Lord delays His coming, the power and love of God somehow fades or dims.

What it really shows is a confession that many Christians know their love of God is not what it ought to be: the purifying power of the Spirit within the heart first.

Since being pure in heart, I cease worrying about works, but now simply do whatsoever God would have me to do by faith. It has become easy to do His will:

Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

My heart and mind is at rest now. It's all simple and clear. It's no longer an ongoing debate. I know what and where the real fight is, and therefore put all my heart into that: to guard and keep my heart from any lust and unrighteous thought taking root again: the fiery darts of the devil are DOA by His pure faith within:

We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not. (1 John 5)

Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity. (1 Tim 4)

Can I make a suggestion? How about defining works as, any action of the flesh body...??

Because we know, that everything we do, is either a good thing or a bad thing. A good work, or a bad work. It either builds up or tears down on some level.

It is not what goes into the mouth of man which defiles him, it is what comes out of the mouth of man that defiles him. And the power of life and death are in the tongue.

And what we speak is coming from what we think. So if you are having an unusual amount of tribulation in your life, then it's possible that you speak on the negative more than the positive? And what we speak today, frames up our tomorrow.

Salvation is not works based, that's true. But we shouldn't be straining at gnats trying to prove that...I don't have to do any works and I'm saved...Perhaps, but this is our short life in the material world and we are required to participate. Are you alive? So stop making excuses, go be nice to somebody, lol!

It depends on which "work" you are referring to.

We are not justified by the works of the law.

We are not justified by work that earns a wage.

We are not justified by good works.

The ONLY way a person is justified is by obedience: the obedience of faith.

Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar? James 2:21

The obedience Abraham performed was to offer his son Isaac on the altar, in response to God's word (Voice) to him:
the word by which he received faith.

Abraham's faith was activated, or "made alive" when he responded in obedience to God's Voice, and thereby his faith was able to justify him.

This principle is shown throughout the scriptures and is called the obedience of faith.

But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith: Romans 16:26 KJV

JLB
The only obedience that justifies is that of Jesus Christ…
Romans 5:19 ESV
[19] For as by the one man's disobedience the many were made sinners, so by the one man's obedience the many will be made righteous.

We don't need to agree with each other, but every man needs to agree with Jesus Christ and do His word.

It's not about us being in agreement with one another in a doctrine, which is fine for religion and church unity of men.

Agreeing with and doing the word of God is the only eternal life of salvation and justification by Jesus Christ.

Paul calls for unity around his gospel, not another gospel.

The simplicity of Christ is simple: His love and charity of good works begins within the heart first.

The kingdom and power of God is spiritual purity within first. It's not hard to understand at all, but only who is doing it? Who preaches it? Who ensures every Christian understands the absolute necessity of it first in all things for Christ?

I know the Christian teaching that we are loving God by loving one another. Scripture does not say that, but rather that without loving our brother we can see, we cannot possibly be loving the God we cannot see.

That does not mean that because we are loving our neighbor, we must therefore be loving God.

Jesus declares plainly that proof of loving Him is only by keeping His commandments first: with all the heart, soul, mind, and strength, with a pure soul and heart and mind. Scripture also says that we love one another by keeping His commandments: love of man is fleeting with feeling and neighborly works, but loving God is by commandment.

I know what it is to be sinner inwardly and outwardly, as all men do. I know what it is to be a sinner inwardly and yet blameless outwardly as religious Christians do, and now I know what it is to be pure inwardly and blameless outwardly as only the elect saints do.

The only difference is when God put the commandment personally to my heart to do His word as written, and not just view some Scriptures as high unattainable ideals on earth:

(For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;) For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds. (2 Cor 10)

I have heard teaching of church history about how specially loving the early church was as compared to later and even today, like it was some special church body of Christ, because He had just lived on earth and risen, and the apostles were yet alive and writing the New testament.

That suggests with passing of time on earth, and the Lord delays His coming, the power and love of God somehow fades or dims.

What it really shows is a confession that many Christians know their love of God is not what it ought to be: the purifying power of the Spirit within the heart first.

Since being pure in heart, I cease worrying about works, but now simply do whatsoever God would have me to do by faith. It has become easy to do His will:

Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

My heart and mind is at rest now. It's all simple and clear. It's no longer an ongoing debate. I know what and where the real fight is, and therefore put all my heart into that: to guard and keep my heart from any lust and unrighteous thought taking root again: the fiery darts of the devil are DOA by His pure faith within:

We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not. (1 John 5)

Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity. (1 Tim 4)
I totally agree, my question was in reference to WIPs comment about loving God and nighbor.

Can I make a suggestion? How about defining works as, any action of the flesh body...??

Because we know, that everything we do, is either a good thing or a bad thing. A good work, or a bad work. It either builds up or tears down on some level.

It is not what goes into the mouth of man which defiles him, it is what comes out of the mouth of man that defiles him. And the power of life and death are in the tongue.

And what we speak is coming from what we think. So if you are having an unusual amount of tribulation in your life, then it's possible that you speak on the negative more than the positive? And what we speak today, frames up our tomorrow.

Salvation is not works based, that's true. But we shouldn't be straining at gnats trying to prove that...I don't have to do any works and I'm saved...Perhaps, but this is our short life in the material world and we are required to participate. Are you alive? So stop making excuses, go be nice to somebody, lol!
Or we can define Christian works as a fruit of the Spirit.

Or we can define Christian works as a fruit of the Spirit.

That sounds pretty good. In fact, I think the topic is largely about two different subjects.

Works because we're alive. I just loaded the dishwasher, that's a work. But was it a Christian work? No, there are no crowns promised in heaven for a clean house! But it was done in good intent towards my fellow man. Without deceit or guile or profit to me or loss to another. But scripture tells us to be a good host when people visit us. It's nice if the kitchen isn't trashed! But doing it wont get me into heaven, nor keep me out.

But I will still fare better than the gys who got up today, and planned a robbery with violence. Or the guy who's cheating on his Wife today. Those are bad works and will be punished more severely than a guy who loaded his dishwasher, lol

It's all semantics. It's not the same subject, just same names. If we have no Christian works, then we are unfruitful. He warned us not to bury our talent! I don't want to be poor in heaven.

It's all semantics. It's not the same subject, just same names. If we have no Christian works, then we are unfruitful. He warned us not to bury our talent! I don't want to be poor in heaven.
Christian good work is in the sharing/teaching of Christ and of His salvation, strictly, and exclusively, according to that which has been revealed in/by the Bible.

The problem in that identifying works as bodily only, is that it is not true. That is the error of natural man, who sees not the things of the Spirit first, which is the Spiritual work within the heart and mind.

(For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)
an is created a spiritual being and soul first, only to be clothed in mortal flesh, unlike the angels. Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ. (2 Cor 10)

The working of God within us is that of purifying, cleansing, and justifying the heart and soul first: our part in that work is to do the work of having rule over and guarding our hearts and minds from lusting again by the power of God given to His sons:

But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name. (John 1)

It is impossible to please God by outward works only, which is the manner of natrual man who sees his deeds as being outward only: God sees the deeds of the heart first.

Lusting to sin is a deed judged as it were already done bodily:

But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart. (Matthew 5)

And so, as you say, it is what comes out of the heart, whether pure unto righteousness, or unclean unto sinfulness, that is the most important and first works of spiritual man in Christ Jesus: The pure in heart do not bless God and yet curse man, because the well is all sweet, and nothing bitter therein.

Doth a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter? (James 3)

Jesus calls such inward works, our first works:

Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent. (Rev 2)

I care first of all about keeping my heart and mind pure in Christ, so that I need not worry about what comes out of my mouth nor into my hand.

All bodily sins are by enticement to sin from lust in the heart: be purified and guarded from lusting, and there is no opportunity given to the flesh to be enticed to sin in word or deed:

But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof. (Rom 13)

The whole reformation of Jesus Christ is to get our eyes set inwardly first, that we have no provision for lusting with them outwardly, and so the blood of the Lamb and power of God in Christ Jesus is inward spiritual purity first, that is kept that way by them becoming His sons.

The only obedience that justifies is that of Jesus Christ…
Romans 5:19 ESV
[19] For as by the one man's disobedience the many were made sinners, so by the one man's obedience the many will be made righteous.
Amen. Which is done only by His faith through grace, and begins inwardly within the heart:

Thou blind Pharisee, cleanse first that which is within the cup and platter, that the outside of them may be clean also. (Matthew 23)

The whole error of the religion of natural man, is that they seek only to obey God outwardly, without first being purified inwardly.

Once any man sees that truth of the spiritual things of God and man, as being created spiritual beings in His image, then there is no more confusion about where our obedience to god begins:

(For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;) Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ. (2 Cor 10)

Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. (Is 55)

Circumcise therefore the foreskin of your heart, and be no more stiffnecked. (Deut 10)

The problem in that identifying works as bodily only, is that it is not true. That is the error of natural man, who sees not the things of the Spirit first, which is the Spiritual work within the heart and mind.

(For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)
an is created a spiritual being and soul first, only to be clothed in mortal flesh, unlike the angels. Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ. (2 Cor 10)

The working of God within us is that of purifying, cleansing, and justifying the heart and soul first: our part in that work is to do the work of having rule over and guarding our hearts and minds from lusting again by the power of God given to His sons:

But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name. (John 1)

It is impossible to please God by outward works only, which is the manner of natrual man who sees his deeds as being outward only: God sees the deeds of the heart first.

Lusting to sin is a deed judged as it were already done bodily:

But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart. (Matthew 5)

And so, as you say, it is what comes out of the heart, whether pure unto righteousness, or unclean unto sinfulness, that is the most important and first works of spiritual man in Christ Jesus: The pure in heart do not bless God and yet curse man, because the well is all sweet, and nothing bitter therein.

Doth a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter? (James 3)

Jesus calls such inward works, our first works:

Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent. (Rev 2)

I care first of all about keeping my heart and mind pure in Christ, so that I need not worry about what comes out of my mouth nor into my hand.

All bodily sins are by enticement to sin from lust in the heart: be purified and guarded from lusting, and there is no opportunity given to the flesh to be enticed to sin in word or deed:

But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof. (Rom 13)

The whole reformation of Jesus Christ is to get our eyes set inwardly first, that we have no provision for lusting with them outwardly, and so the blood of the Lamb and power of God in Christ Jesus is inward spiritual purity first, that is kept that way by them becoming His sons.

You make a very good point Brother. But I was just searching for a common ground for the thread. Everybody seems to define works differently.

That sounds pretty good. In fact, I think the topic is largely about two different subjects.

Works because we're alive. I just loaded the dishwasher, that's a work. But was it a Christian work? No, there are no crowns promised in heaven for a clean house! But it was done in good intent towards my fellow man. Without deceit or guile or profit to me or loss to another. But scripture tells us to be a good host when people visit us. It's nice if the kitchen isn't trashed! But doing it wont get me into heaven, nor keep me out.

But I will still fare better than the gys who got up today, and planned a robbery with violence. Or the guy who's cheating on his Wife today. Those are bad works and will be punished more severely than a guy who loaded his dishwasher, lol

Doing all things as unto the Lord with a pure heart is simply first things first.

No man can do anything as unto the Lord with a heart of lust for sin, whether loading a dishwasher, or robbing a bank.

But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart. (1 Sam 16)

Of course, the dishwasher and the bank are not the same, but if the heart is still uncleansed by the Spirit of Christ, then all bodily deeds are just sinful apples and oranges.

The simple point being, that so long as lust for sin remains in the heart, no man is born and justified of God, no matter how zealous he is for good works outwardly:

And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing. (1 Cor 13)

Thee can be no clean hands, without the heart first being cleaned.

Who shall ascend into the hill of the LORD? or who shall stand in his holy place? He that hath clean hands, and a pure heart; who hath not lifted up his soul unto vanity, nor sworn deceitfully. (Ps 24)

Last edited:
Doing all things as unto the Lord with a pure heart is simply first things first.

No man can do anything as unto the Lord with a heart of lust for sin, whether loading a dishwasher, or robbing a bank.

But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart. (1 Sam 16)

Of course, the dishwasher and the bank are not the same, but if the heart is still uncleansed by the Spirit of Christ, then all bodily deeds are just sinful apples and oranges.

The simple point being, that so long as lust for sin remains in the heart, no man is born and justified of God, no matter how zealous he is for good works outwardly:

Thee can be no clean hands, without the heart first being cleaned.

Who shall ascend into the hill of the LORD? or who shall stand in his holy place? He that hath clean hands, and a pure heart; who hath not lifted up his soul unto vanity, nor sworn deceitfully. (Ps 24)

You're right. I know just what you're talking about. I began noticing changes to myself on the inside and went whoa. Cuz I never reacted in that way before then. And it was a heartfelt thing.

You make a very good point Brother. But I was just searching for a common ground for the thread. Everybody seems to define works differently.
The works Paul was against were the works of the Law.
He especially wrote against circumcision and dietary laws...for salvation.
Turning from sin, baptism in the name of Jesus for the remission of past sins, and enduring faithfully till one's end are not the sort of works Paul condemned.

The works Paul was against were the works of the Law.
He especially wrote against circumcision and dietary laws...for salvation.
Turning from sin, baptism in the name of Jesus for the remission of past sins, and enduring faithfully till one's end are not the sort of works Paul condemned.

Anything someone might attempt to do to effectuate their salvation is a work - nothing within our power can remove sin be they past, present, or future. That Jesus alone accomplished it on behalf of those He chose to salvation was only that He is Saviour - we are not.

Anything someone might attempt to do to effectuate their salvation is a work
Not everything.
Hearing, and believing are "works" if you are intent on holding to that false doctrine that relieves you of any responsibility for yourself.
The works Paul wrote against were circumcision and dietary laws.
And the rest of the customs of the Jews.
- nothing within our power can remove sin be they past, present, or future. That Jesus alone accomplished it on behalf of those He chose to salvation was only that He is Saviour - we are not.
I'm glad I got baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of my past sins.
Your doctrine deprives you of that remission.
I'm glad I could pray for the gift of the Holy Ghost.
I'm glad I have been equipt to endure faithfully until my end.
I am glad I could repent of sin.
I am glad I can pray for guidance and knowledge.
I am glad I can read scripture everyday, for growth in grace and wisdom.
All to the glory of God.

Back