Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Can sinning be overcome?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Years ago before I got saved, I was attending a home bible study. The guy doing the teaching believed he was sinless even though it says in the bible that not one of us is without sin. I don't quite understand how anyone can be that blind. I wasn't even saved yet and I knew better. I do believe some sin can be overcome but, I also feel as though it's a lifelong fight to control it due to our natural sin nature.

Tit 2:11 (kjv), For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,
Tit 2:12, Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;
Tit 2:13, Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;
Tit 2:14 , Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.
Tit 2:15, These things speak, and exhort, and rebuke with all authority. Let no man despise thee.

Col 2:11 (nlt), When you came to Christ, you were “circumcised,” but not by a physical procedure. Christ performed a spiritual circumcision—the cutting away of your sinful nature.

Rom 8:9 (nlt), But you are not controlled by your sinful nature. You are controlled by the Spirit if you have the Spirit of God living in you. (And remember that those who do not have the Spirit of Christ living in them do not belong to him at all.)

Gal 5:24 (nlt), Those who belong to Christ Jesus have nailed the passions and desires of their sinful nature to his cross and crucified them there.

We can be sanctified wholly in this lifetime; body, soul, and spirit:

1Th 5:23 (nlt), Now may the God of peace make you holy in every way, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless until our Lord Jesus Christ comes again.
1Th 5:24, God will make this happen, for he who calls you is faithful.

Her displeasure does indeed bother me.
But the times that I don't, she complains about it.
Which is it?
It "bothers you" or it doesn't "all the time".
I'll remind you of the scriptures about double mindedness. (James 1:8, 4:8)
Here is what Jesus says about your attitude, I think.
Isa 65:5, Which say, Stand by thyself, come not near to me; for I am holier than thou. These are a smoke in my nose, a fire that burneth all the day.
Don't be offended, just more considerate of the wife of your youth.
And btw, I do have a pastor.
What does he say about this incident?
Where do you get off telling everyone that I don't...since you don't even know me?
Why come here with your matter when you have a pastor?
I think that you must not be married.
If you were, I know that there would be things in your recent memory wherein your wife has complained about something in you that is displeasing to her.
My actions affect way more than just a wife or children.
So do your's.
Walk as Christ walks and everyone will be happier !
"He that saith he abideth in Him ought himself also so to walk, even as He walked." (1 John 2:6)

Years ago before I got saved, I was attending a home bible study. The guy doing the teaching believed he was sinless even though it says in the bible that not one of us is without sin. I don't quite understand how anyone can be that blind. I wasn't even saved yet and I knew better. I do believe some sin can be overcome but, I also feel as though it's a lifelong fight to control it due to our natural sin nature.
The Bible says that if we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth us not in us.

This is of course referring to indwelling sin and not to the practice of sinning.

The element of sin, dwelling in each of us, can be rendered dead (Romans 6:6, Galatians 5:24, Romans 7:8) so that it no longer has any say over what we do (Romans 6:14, Romans 8:12 (nlt)).

No one is without sin because:

1) all of us have indwelling sin; and,

2) all of us have sinned in the time of the past.

However, God, in giving us His Holy Spirit, gives us also the power to walk in victory over and freedom from the power of sin.

We are not obligated to obey the flesh (Romans 8:12, kjv, nlt).

If we are in Christ, we are not controlled by the sinful nature but by the Spirit (Romans 8:9, nlt).

The key there is "life long".
Our reborn life starts our walk in the light, wherein is no darkness. (1 John 1:5,7)
The old life, walked in darkness, ended at our "immersion" onto Christ's death and burial. (Rom 6:3-7, Gal 5:24)

Yeah…

I’ve heard that genuine conversion changes our status from dinner to Saint. Following cs Lewis on that…

It must be in some heavenly realm where things are Real…

Here in our fallen world 🌎 it plays out with sanctification completed by glorification. Only in heaven where we become perfect creatures do we really truly become sinless.
The converted are not "of this world".
Whether everyone around us is fallen or not, we will be judged only for our own actions.
We can be sinless, now, on earth.
Thanks be to God !

Which is it?
It "bothers you" or it doesn't "all the time".
I'll remind you of the scriptures about double mindedness. (James 1:8, 4:8)

It bothers me when she complains about it
Don't be offended, just more considerate of the wife of your youth.
Okay, will do. You be sure to wipe the toilet every time you pee, too.
What does he say about this incident?
I didn't ask him.
Why come here with your matter when you have a pastor?
I was asked a point-blank question.
My actions affect way more than just a wife or children.
So do your's.
Walk as Christ walks and everyone will be happier !
"He that saith he abideth in Him ought himself also so to walk, even as He walked." (1 John 2:6)
This was deleted previously because it was considered not to be "serious enough" for the theology forum. But I hope that it will be allowed to remain because it is my defense against the accusation of the enemy at this time.

It becomes tedious to wipe up my pee every time I go to the bathroom; and sometimes I forget to do it; and I don't appreciate you judging me over it. With the same measure that ye mete out judgment, it will be meted back to you, you need to remember that.

I think that you must think that you yourself are absolutely perfect in every way.

Glad to meet you, Jesus!

The converted are not "of this world".
Whether everyone around us is fallen or not, we will be judged only for our own actions.
We can be sinless, now, on earth.
Thanks be to God !
Sin can be rendered dead, we do not become sinless.

Is it your claim that you are without indwelling sin?

The Bible says that if we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth us not in us.
This is of course referring to indwelling sin and not to the practice of sinning.
Don't get fooled my men's philosophy.
Sin is sin.
The 1 John 1:8 verse you refer to is addressing those who walk in darkness, which Pro 4:19 says is "the way of the wicked".
It is sinners who cannot say they have no sin.
It does not apply to those walking in the light, which is God.
There is no sin in God.
The element of sin, dwelling in each of us, can be rendered dead (Romans 6:6, Galatians 5:24, Romans 7:8) so that it no longer has any say over what we do (Romans 6:14, Romans 8:12 (nlt)).
Amen to that !
No one is without sin because:
1) all of us have indwelling sin; and,
2) all of us have sinned in the time of the past.
Describe "indwelling sin", especially in those who have crucified the flesh and been reborn of God's seed.
However, God, in giving us His Holy Spirit, gives us also the power to walk in victory over and freedom from the power of sin.
We are not obligated to obey the flesh (Romans 8:12, kjv, nlt).
If we are in Christ, we are not controlled by the sinful nature but by the Spirit (Romans 8:9, nlt).
Thank God for rebirth, so we can do what the OT folks couldn't.

Describe "indwelling sin", especially in those who have crucified the flesh and been reborn of God's seed.
Until we receive our glorified bodies, we have a sin nature.

Gal 5:16, This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
Gal 5:17,
For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
Gal 5:18, But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.
Gal 5:19, Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
Gal 5:20, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
Gal 5:21, Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
Gal 5:22, But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Gal 5:23, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

It bothers me when she complains about it
Shouldn't it?
Okay, will do. You be sure to wipe the toilet every time you pee, too.
Whatever we can do to respect others will be accounted to us on the day of judgement.
I didn't ask him.
I was asked a point-blank question.
OK, no big deal.
This was deleted previously because it was considered not to be "serious enough" for the theology forum. But I hope that it will be allowed to remain because it is my defense against the accusation of the enemy at this time.
I never know which forum is which.
I just reply to interesting topics.
It becomes tedious to wipe up my pee every time I go to the bathroom; and sometimes I forget to do it; and I don't appreciate you judging me over it. With the same measure that ye mete out judgment, it will be meted back to you, you need to remember that.
My judgement matters little next to your wife's judgment on the matter.
You have to live with her.
I think that you must think that you yourself are absolutely perfect in every way.
I never seem to have a balanced check book...if that makes you feel better.
Glad to meet you, Jesus!
I rejoice when someone see Him in me.
That is what life in Christ is all about !

If we are not sinless, what did we "repent" of before being baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of past sins? (Acts 2:38)
I repented of sin, and I thank God for that gift.
What is indwelling sin?
Did Jesus have it?
As Jesus and I were both born of the same seed, your answer better be no, Jesus did not have any, and neither does anyone reborn of God's seed.

If we are not sinless, what did we "repent" of before being baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of past sins? (Acts 2:38)
What is indwelling sin?
Did Jesus have it?
As Jesus and I were both born of the same seed, your answer better be no, Jesus did not have any, and neither does anyone reborn of God's seed.
Remission means that, while it is still indwelling you, it is no longer a threat to your life, as in the remission of cancer. The cancer is still there but is no longer a threat.

Indwelling sin is spoken of in Galatians 5:17-21. We all have it (1 John 1:8).

Do you claim to be without sin?

If so, you are deceiving yourself and the truth is not in you.

What is indwelling sin?
Did Jesus have it?

What is indwelling sin?
Did Jesus have it?
I am asking you a point-blank question here, and I want you to answer it with a yes or no.

Do you claim to be without sin?

Until we receive our glorified bodies, we have a sin nature.

Gal 5:16, This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
Gal 5:17,
For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
Gal 5:18, But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.
Gal 5:19, Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
Gal 5:20, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
Gal 5:21, Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
Gal 5:22, But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Gal 5:23, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
Those who have crucified the flesh, with the affections and lusts, (Gal 5:24), now have a divine nature.
Thanks be to God !

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back